How to Improve player ability stars?

I'm not a FM newbie, and pay attention to training schedules and coach team. However, I notice that most of my players never reach their full ability potential (number of stars). Sometimes it increases (or drops) half-star, and rarely a full star.

Please any tips on how to make my players increase their ability (number of stars)? Many thanks.

How old are the players? If they're young, they generally need first team football in order to achieve their potential (in terms of stars). Most youths probably won't get a look in with the first team until they hit 20. Top clubs can bypass this by playing them in useless competitions including the League Cup against lower league teams. Lower league teams can bypass this by playing them in games you have no chance of winning though.

So if you want players to reach their potential, it's best to play them regularly in the U18's, loan them out as soon as is feastible to clubs that will use them as a first team player (usually as soon as they're 17-18) and then start bringing them into your first team until they're 23. If they haven't maxed out at 23 or have but aren't good enough, off load them. You have to decide whether they're good enough to play in your first team at 16/17 or wait until they're older but leaving them out will leave them languishing basically.

Another point to note is that the stars on report cards can and will drop depending on the rest of your team. For example if you have a young team or an over-achieving team then the players who are part of that team will be rated considerably higher than they were before (whether they deserve to be or not) and those who aren't playing will find their ratings drop considerably according to the staff members. If THAT happens its up to you to decide if the ratings are over-estimating some of your first team players or not (which, they generally are).

Really I'm of the opinion that the star ratings are to be used as a guide. Don't follow them strictly, just pick the cream of the crop for potential ability and play them while they're young. Some will reach or exceed the potential others won't. It's all trial and error (like real life basically) so don't put too much stock into them and enjoy developing the players. :)

It's also not uncommon for players to only reach their full potential when they are 24 or even later (I have a 28 year old GK who is still improving). To get those last drops of potential out of those players I think they have to put in exceptional performances. Last season we won the league as outsiders and it was my GK who was rallying the players for the last few matches and who was putting in exceptional performances throughout the season. He got selected for the Dutch national squad because of this and he improved as a player. If you can create an atmosphere at your club which allows your players to reach new heights and perform above expectations they will improve.

A real life example could be Theo Jansen from FC Twente. The Last few seasons he has really grown as a footballer which I think is mostly due to the team he played in and the results they where getting. He could pull himself up to the high level of football that was being played and at his relatively old age he made massive improvements and almost led his team to another title this season. If you can create such an atmosphere of overachieving you can play lesser players and they will be given the chance to pull themselves up to this higher level and start improving.

A good example in my save is a youngster called Ibrahim Conte. My scouts told me he had the potential to play at a similar level as Dries Mertens (I play as FC Utrecht), his attributes where in the right places and he was cheap so I took a chance and bought him. I play him as inside forward on the right as he is left footed and he is now my second choice. His main strengths (or his only :p) are his pace and decent finishing. He got his fair share of game time but didn't develop as fast as I would have liked and he didn't score much either. Still I kept faith in him and my scouts and due to some winning the league the first season I got into the Champions Cup group stage where I met Barca, Shalke and Sampdoria. I won one game against Sampdoria, lost a game to Barca and Sampdoria but managed to draw the other 3 games (including a 1-1 at home against Barca) which put me through to the knockout stage. There I met Real Madrid. The first leg was at home and my first choice AMR was tired so Conte was in my first 11. I thought about playing on the counter but disregarded it quickly as I knew my defense couldn't hold out 90 minutes against Real so I started boldly and started with control.

I told my team to give the fans a game they would remember for years to come and my team did just that. They played boldly against the stronger Real side and controlled the game creating more chances than Real and apart from Ronaldo getting a few shots of from outside the penalty area we looked good at the back. Just before half time their efforts were rewarded by Sergio Ramos who pushed Alje Shut in the penalty area after a free kick in a very dangerous position. Dries Mertens scored the penalty convincingly and we were 1-0 up. The second halve we kept attacking but Real did the same and we had to concede a lot of corners and free kicks. Things looked grim until Van Wolfswinkel got the ball after a cleared corner, dribbled past a defender and scored the one on one with the GK. Up 2-0 I didn't dare change a thing and we kept outplaying Real. Then Conte decided to reward my patience with him and after doing good defensive work on the flank the whole game he got the ball in a tight spot, played a one two with Van Wolfswinkel to get past the left back and sprinted towards the box where he put the ball past Casillas in a disturbingly cold blooded and decisive fashion. The pundits screamed it was the best finish they had ever seen and I almost fell out of my chair. Sadly I swapped my two tired fullbacks who had played brilliantly all game and the subs although of very good quality failed to cope with Real's attacks and I conceded 3 goals in a row with the last one hitting the net two minutes into extra time :(.

After the game I checked Conte's attributes and noticed his finishing increased from 10 to 11. My GK (Vorm) improved his communication from 15 to 16, my AML (Emil Larsen) improved his off the ball and anticipation and my AMC (Dries Mertens) improved his passing to 15 (he is 24 years old). These changes all happened at the end of the match and in my eyes are enough proof that not only game time but also performance can increase a players attributes and can even help older players improve.

It's also not uncommon for players to only reach their full potential when they are 24 or even later (I have a 28 year old GK who is still improving). To get those last drops of potential out of those players I think they have to put in exceptional performances.

FM Scout 11 offers a 'rate' at which a player is expected to improve. I do wonder what factors into this equation. Age plays a big role (but then your 28 yo keeper is still improving, and they mature later), attributes (such as determination, ambition etc?), games played etc.

FM Scout 11 offers a 'rate' at which a player is expected to improve. I do wonder what factors into this equation. Age plays a big role (but then your 28 yo keeper is still improving, and they mature later), attributes (such as determination, ambition etc?), games played etc.

fm scout i hate that thing used it on fm 09 and it completely ruined the enjoymet of the game would never think of using it again it is terrible

Thanks for the comments. But I was referring to training tips for adult players. I find it relatively easy to improve stars of young players. I'm talking about players in the 24-29 age range who never achieve their full potential (say 3 stars out of 4.5). How to increase stars by means of training schedules?...

Like I said before if they make exceptional performances in big matches you can see the odd attribute improve. Everything you do for youngsters helps as well (regular matches and keeping them fit). If you create a team that starts overachieving and you keep the morale high along the way you have the best chance for them improving. It's never guaranteed that they will improve as if they lack good personality attributes they will never reach their full potential (unless they play regular champions league matches against barca and real and destroy them time and time again :p).

btw. It might also be a problem with your assistant manager overestimating the potential of the players and they could also be at the top of their game.

Archived