2 tactics to conquer your league and CL on 8.0.2 (4-4-2 and Counter)

Lookin good after just one game! I was on a run of 6 games (in all comps) without a win and then i used Counter and beat Man United 2-0 at Old Trafford! May i also say that they had been unbeaten so far this season and im in January! (Oh and btw i am Bolton!)

Cheers mate, excellent tactic ;)

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts about this Tactic

The 4-4-2 is excellent. The 4-5-1 counter is less good, but better than average.

I playtested it with a few teams and had success with them all.....

some things I find though.....

The farrows on the 4 midfielders and the 2 sarrows on the FBs are the key to the 4-4-2 tactic success. It REALLY isn't that important in my experience how you tinker with the mentality and other sliders (and such). If you make radical changes then it might not work so well, but I made a few adjustments based on the attributes of my players. (I'd increase forward runs based on workrate, determination and pace etc or reduce it... make a judgement call based on what you have at your disposal).

The two FBs are the most important positions. By tucking into midfield it means the 2 opposition midfielders come to them meaning your two midfielders can be in acres of space. Of course the trade off is that if you lose the ball, then their wingers are in acres of space, hence you need GOOD players who work hard in these positions and quickly try to track back and don't lose the ball much.

One major change I made is I made my two CB are at full closing down. I know what you are thinking but it seems to cut down the goals against! The theory being if the opposition have the ball and are going down the wing where the FB should be, the CB 'covers' where the FB should be. He does leave a gaping hole, but that is usually where the FB is (he's told to move just infront of the CB when we have the ball, so if I lose possession that's where the FB usually is). I played with Zonal Marking rather than Man Marking but it made no noticable difference.

Against teams with 4-3-3 it's not so good. It is very good with 4-4-2 though.

when the opposition is chasing the game with 4-2-4 I switch to 4-5-1 and swamp the midfield. Their 2 midfielders create nothing and the 4 up front are isolated. As good as the 4-4-2 tactic is, it's less good against the 'last 10 mins, chase the game' the AI does. This is because if an attack of yours breaks down the AI players are already in the holes you have left with your FBs, so the best CB in the world isn't going to make any difference!

Someone mentioned conceeding from corners....

Try RB and LB mark Small

CBs mark Tall

MCs mark Man

everyone else forward

don't leave anyone on the posts. Won't guarantee you won't conceed but works for me.

also, someone said that after X games then they start losing? do you have a small squad? I find that the players get tired. Their stamina may well be 100% but well before they are officially "jaded" they lose their edge. I have started moving a few players to "Rest" for two weeks mid season. Rotate your squad. Give them some time off training in mid winter. This theory is unproven, but why wait for your players to become completely knackered before the physio tells you to send them on holiday! It's not that the AI is 'smart' and has 'cracked your tactic'. It's most likely your players are training and playing too hard. (IMO).

anyway, this is a good thread. It's a good tactic (the counter is pretty good as well).

Congrats.....

Lookin good after just one game! I was on a run of 6 games (in all comps) without a win and then i used Counter and beat Man United 2-0 at Old Trafford! May i also say that they had been unbeaten so far this season and im in January! (Oh and btw i am Bolton!)

Cheers mate, excellent tactic ;)

I'm Bolton too mate! Just beat Chelski 6-0 at the Reebok using Polat's counter.

Would this tactic work for Inter Milan as I'm in a game vs Brother (AC Milan).

Current tactics see me on runs of wins, then one bad game sends me back down the table and is so annoying!!!

BTW, How do you all afford so many signings? I got just 13 million!

mmmmmmmmmmm, i LOVE IT!!! absolutely stunning.

I used to win games 1-0, 2-0 or bore draws (quite alot actually), these days i am killing off teams 3-0 by halftime and by the final 5-0! this is quite often actually. I cannot wait to try this with a smaller team asap.

I appreciate this!

btw also to mention, i cant count on my fingers how many titles i've lost due to bore draws or the opposition scoring last few minute goals snatching all 3 points because i failed with my tactics. your tactics gives me a fresh perspective

If you want a testimonial of how good this tactic is then here is mine.

Using the 4-4-2 exclusively with Aston Villa in 2018 I have had to stop using this tactic because I was getting bored of winning everything.

Premiership Champions 7 years in a row.

Champion League 6 years in a row.

FA cup 6 years in a row.

League cup 5 years in a row.

I have lost about 6 games in the last 5 years.

The early success was based on the shoulders of fantastic players such as messi, fabrigas ect.

The last years success was with a team of 50% regens who have all come through my ranks as I am slowly building an all home grown team and my super stars are all in there early 30's now..

I would strongly recommend the 4-4-2 to any top team, once your team gets used to the tactics shape and you get used to altering the tactics sliders to suit your opposition then hardly anything will stop you.

This is one of the best i've tried so far, really enjoying the football my team plays with it. Lots of goals.

I'm Hearts and i've won 4, drawn 1, scored 15, conceded 3 (and the 3 were in the same game where I drew 3-3 away from home, which I played the 4-4-2, should have played counter!)

If you want a testimonial of how good this tactic is then here is mine.

Using the 4-4-2 exclusively with Aston Villa in 2018 I have had to stop using this tactic because I was getting bored of winning everything.

Premiership Champions 7 years in a row.

Champion League 6 years in a row.

FA cup 6 years in a row.

League cup 5 years in a row.

I have lost about 6 games in the last 5 years.

The early success was based on the shoulders of fantastic players such as messi, fabrigas ect.

The last years success was with a team of 50% regens who have all come through my ranks as I am slowly building an all home grown team and my super stars are all in there early 30's now..

I would strongly recommend the 4-4-2 to any top team, once your team gets used to the tactics shape and you get used to altering the tactics sliders to suit your opposition then hardly anything will stop you.

Lambs,

Ive got to ask, but what sliders exactly do you change? What do you look for?

The sliders I "mess" with are (replace the work mess with skillfully adjust if you want to give me more credit than I deserve):

Mentality, based on the odds and my opinion of how good the team are. Lower the odds of me winning, the closer I move towards the centre of this slider. I only go higher than the default if it is the last 15 minutes and I am losing. If the opposing team is over rated and I am under rated, then by all means attack them, but if the team is better than you and also rated better than you, expect a bloody hard game.

Tempo, this is adjusted due to weather effects, I play on slow to normal in rain or snow. I also go to one notch before slow if the opposition is giving me a lot of time on the ball or if my shots on target is very low compared to my shots attempted.

Passing, I go for a longer ball in bad weather, I go for one notch above short if I am also playing slow tempo.

Defensive line. This is set quite deep by default and can lead to leaking a few goals, if the opponent is clattering your goal with long range shots that are on target, then push your defensive line up. This works for me because i only use fast defenders. The long shot rating of your opponents forwards and attacking midfield is a good guide on this.

Closing down, increase it as you go more offensive and decrease it as you go more defensive.

Width, decrease as you go more defensive.

Other tips:

Swapping players, If you have two players on the pitch who can play in each others positions always set them to swap with each other.

Fast defenders and fast Strikers work best.

Try and keep the same two Central defenders and the same goal keeper for as much of the season as possibly. If you rotate them, expect to leak goals.

I have just started a new game as Newcastle, I have gone straight away for the 4-4-2 tactic.

It is now January, so far I have lost 4 games and I am joint 3rd in the league. Man Utd are a good 10 points clear at the top having only lost once. 2nd 3rd and 4th are all pretty close. My losses have been a 5-1 and 2-4 hammering home and away by untied. A 4-2 loss to Chelsea, where their keeper got a 8 and mine got a 5, including going to the line to take a free kick that went straight to their forward who hoofed it into the empty goal. The forth loss was a rather unfortunate loss where I managed to demorolise my GK and Defenders with the wrong coment before the match against West Ham, we lost 4-3 with them scoring in the last minute of extra time after we came back from 3 behind.

The sliders I "mess" with are (replace the work mess with skillfully adjust if you want to give me more credit than I deserve):

Mentality, based on the odds and my opinion of how good the team are. Lower the odds of me winning, the closer I move towards the centre of this slider. I only go higher than the default if it is the last 15 minutes and I am losing. If the opposing team is over rated and I am under rated, then by all means attack them, but if the team is better than you and also rated better than you, expect a bloody hard game.

Tempo, this is adjusted due to weather effects, I play on slow to normal in rain or snow. I also go to one notch before slow if the opposition is giving me a lot of time on the ball or if my shots on target is very low compared to my shots attempted.

Passing, I go for a longer ball in bad weather, I go for one notch above short if I am also playing slow tempo.

Defensive line. This is set quite deep by default and can lead to leaking a few goals, if the opponent is clattering your goal with long range shots that are on target, then push your defensive line up. This works for me because i only use fast defenders. The long shot rating of your opponents forwards and attacking midfield is a good guide on this.

Closing down, increase it as you go more offensive and decrease it as you go more defensive.

Width, decrease as you go more defensive.

Other tips:

Swapping players, If you have two players on the pitch who can play in each others positions always set them to swap with each other.

Fast defenders and fast Strikers work best.

Try and keep the same two Central defenders and the same goal keeper for as much of the season as possibly. If you rotate them, expect to leak goals.

I have just started a new game as Newcastle, I have gone straight away for the 4-4-2 tactic.

It is now January, so far I have lost 4 games and I am joint 3rd in the league. Man Utd are a good 10 points clear at the top having only lost once. 2nd 3rd and 4th are all pretty close. My losses have been a 5-1 and 2-4 hammering home and away by untied. A 4-2 loss to Chelsea, where their keeper got a 8 and mine got a 5, including going to the line to take a free kick that went straight to their forward who hoofed it into the empty goal. The forth loss was a rather unfortunate loss where I managed to demorolise my GK and Defenders with the wrong coment before the match against West Ham, we lost 4-3 with them scoring in the last minute of extra time after we came back from 3 behind.

Thanks for the reply.

Currently giving the tactic another go with my fairly long term liverpool save.

I like to change my tactic every season so the AI has to keep guessing....not sure if it works, but won the league last season, and am currently top in November using this 442.

Again, hardly ever use the counter. Have had a few teriblr results including a 3-0 thrashing by Reading at their place and a 2-0 defeat against by Everton at their place. Although by moving the sliders a little (mentality, width and tempo all down one) managed to beat Man Utd 6-2 at Anfield.

I have been giving these formations a go with my newcastle team.

Getting good results as well. Lying 3rd in table 1 point behind leaders chelsea after 10 league games.

Interesting results so far:

Man United 0 - 2 Newcastle (using Counter)

Newcastle 5 - 1 Sunderland (using 442)

Blackburn 3 - 1 Newcastle (using counter to start, then switched when 2-0 down)

Newcastle 5 - 2 Liverpool (using 442)

Newcastle 4 - 1 Man City (using 442)

Newcastle 1 - 1 Chelsea (using counter)

Very pleased with this tactic, many thanks to the fella that made it

I'm Liverpool, 1st season, my team at the moment is:

Reina

Degen

Aurelio

Carragher

Skrtel

Joaquin/Pennant

Riera/Babel

Mascherano/Lucas

Gerrard/Alonso

Keane/Vagner Love

Torres

Results so far:

Pompy 0-3 Liverpool

Man Utd 0-2 Liverpool

Liverpool 6-0 Aston Villa

Looking fantastic so far! Plus I might be getting in a new right back, and a centre back.

just tried out this tactic with my tottenham team after my usually reliable 442 tactic seems to be failing me.

used the 4141 first as i was struggling and my next game was against chelsea, and i won 2-0.

only thing i find, my srtikers are missing loads of chances, i mean dreadful shots going well wide, i reduced shots from distance but still the same.

i have david villa upfront, along with pavlyuchenko and bent in the squad.

im dominating games, but making the keepers look unbeatable.

quick questions, which of the 2 strikers is meant to be the 'target man' im assuming its the one who holds up the ball. and also the wingers, im my previous tactic, i used my wingers crossing ability well but it seems less effective in this, i have downing and bentley, both crossing 17 and 16. it may be because i dont have berbatov to get on the end of them anymore.

iv also noticed how all players have the same settings except for the cb's and dm, thats how this tactic is effective, it just overloads the opposition half with your players, its good to watch.

Well, the 2010 - 2011 Jan transfer window has closed. I have brought in loads of youth.

With my Liverpool team (which to be honest is world class), i am 10 points clear in the league, and still in all comps.

I never get of the 442, and use the i want a win team talk.

I have a average goal scored of 3.3 and goals against 1.1 (iirc am at work)

Hopefully will post up some SS over the weekend.

All in all, i love this tactic.

just tried out this tactic with my tottenham team after my usually reliable 442 tactic seems to be failing me.

used the 4141 first as i was struggling and my next game was against chelsea, and i won 2-0.

only thing i find, my srtikers are missing loads of chances, i mean dreadful shots going well wide, i reduced shots from distance but still the same.

i have david villa upfront, along with pavlyuchenko and bent in the squad.

im dominating games, but making the keepers look unbeatable.

quick questions, which of the 2 strikers is meant to be the 'target man' im assuming its the one who holds up the ball. and also the wingers, im my previous tactic, i used my wingers crossing ability well but it seems less effective in this, i have downing and bentley, both crossing 17 and 16. it may be because i dont have berbatov to get on the end of them anymore.

iv also noticed how all players have the same settings except for the cb's and dm, thats how this tactic is effective, it just overloads the opposition half with your players, its good to watch.

The striker with hold up the ball is playing a target man role, sort of, but as the "use target man" box is not ticked and the 4-4-2 tactic is set for them to switch, don't worry about it too much.

If I am missing loads of shots, I tend to either slow down the tempo and lower the passing distance OR lower the mentality.

what do you guys set for opposition instructions, who to tight mark, close down etc...

The only ones i do are:

On the wide players MR/ML/AMR/AML i close down always, tight mark always and show onto weaker foot (bottom three options).

On the Strikers i close down always and tight mark always (middle two options).

If they play with one AMC and one FC i use the above for the striker and close down always the AMC.

I do these every game. Not sure if it does anything to be honest, but it has become some kind of tradition LOL.

I have finished the 2010 - 2011 season as league champions.

I also won the Charity Shield and the Champions league, beating Man Utd in the final.

Man Utd beat me in the FA Cup final, and went out fairly early in League Cup (playing youngsters).

As previously stated i usually change tactic every season, but i hope to be staying for this for another one.

Will keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone still using this tactic???

Still going strong on my Liverpool save in 2011-2012 season.

Also have just started a Barcelona save, and it is working well there (well it would with Henry, Eto'o, Messi, Ronaldinho, Deco etc wouldn't it!!!)

Archived