FM11 The Official Southend United Thread: Building on Rubble!

alstarz01

Welcome to the Southend United Thread!

southend-crest-001.jpg

Firstly, thank you for thinking of managing this wonderful team in Essex.

A Brief History

Southend United was formed in 1906 and played in the Southern League until 1920, when they co-found the Football League's new Third Division. In their first season there, they finished 17th. The Third Division was then renationalised, with Southend southern section. They remained there until the league reconstruction in 1958. They only nearly achieved promotion twice in that time, coming 3rd in 1932 and 1950. The club would not finish in a higher league position until 1991.

In 1958, the club joined the new national Third Division. Eight years later in 1966, they would experience their first ever relegation. Their first ever promotion didn't come until six seasons later, in 1972 where they finished runners up in the Fourth Division, behind winners Grimsby Town. They would suffer relegation again in 1976 and in 1978, they came up once again as runners up; this time to Watford. A third relegation came about in 1980, but the following year of 1981 proved to be the most successful in the club's history thus far, where they won the 1981 Fourth Division Championship and breaking several club records along the way.

The club suffered a financial crisis between the years of 1981 to 1987 and were forced to sell most of their leading players. In 1984, the club were once again relegated into the Fourth Division. They suffered one of their darkest hours when their average attendance fell below 2,000.

However, along came the beginning of a new golden era in 1987. Despite suffering relegation in 1989, Southend achieved consecutive promotions in 1990 and 1991 and for the first time in they history, Southend United Football Club became full members of the Football League. They achieved their highest ever position to date in 1992, where they finished 12th in the old Second Division. Southend were actually top come January, but dismal end of season form assured that they would miss out on an unique third successive promotion that would have given them a place as a Premier League founding member. Manager David Webb then stepped down.

Southend had a whole host of managers between the years of 1992 and 2003, where the club eventually suffered relegations down to the Division Three. The appointment of former Southend midfielder Steve Tilson in 2003 saw a dramatic turn around in the club's fortunes.

Tilson, who is the Football League's fifth longest serving manager, managed to achieve promotions to League One and then the Football League Championship, their highest ever position. They appeared in two consecutive Football League Trophy finals, although both were last 2-0 to Blackpool and Wrexham respectively. Southend's first major piece of silverware came after the club won promotion to League One in the 2005 League Two play-off final.

The club have since been relegated back to League One, but have recorded some big scalps. In their first and only season in the Championship, Southend beat Sunderland 3-1 at home. In the Carling Cup, Southend managed to beat Manchester United at Roots Hall, with Freddy Eastwood scoring the only goal of the game. In 2009, Southend managed to draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the F.A. Cup, but lost the replay at Roots Hall.

Southend United have had a very rocky year last year which saw them end up in court fighting HM Revenue and Customs who took them to court following a Winding up Order for £340k. The problems off the pitch with financial difficulties including players not being paid led to many of Southend United’s big players including Adam Barrett, Steve Mildenhall, Simon Francis and many more cancelled there contracts and went to other clubs. Southend United’s performance on the field also meant that they were relegated back to League 2 to build again. This was a big pitty for a club with a lot of history.

Stadium: Roots Hall and Forsett's Farm

image.php?id=1029823&type=full

Image of Fossetts Farm when work finally starts

southend6.jpg

Image of Roots Hall. Not this busy anymore. You could improve this!

Roots Hall was built in 1952 and opened three years later in 1955. It has a capacity of 12,392 which makes it the largest stadium in Essex. It is the current venue of the Essex Senior Cup final.

The introduction of the new Forsett’s Farm stadium had been put on hold due to the financial difficulties but has been helped by Sainsbury’s continued support to the club. Although it isn’t sure when the development will be finished, the clubs new 22,000 seater stadium should still go ahead! The stadium is to be built in the Rochford District area.

Squad

Goalkeeper

Glenn Morris

Let go by Leyton Orient Last Year, Morris was snapped up on a 1 year deal after Goalkeepers Mildenhall and Joyce left the club. Morris is an experienced young goalkeeper and will do a good job in goal.

Ryhs Evans

Again, Released by Bristol Rovers last season and signed on a 1 year contract. Similar goalkeeping stats to Morris and will challenge each other for 1st team spot.

Defenders

Sean Clohessy (DR)

Signed on a 2 year deal from Salisbury. A Product of Arsenal's Youth setup who later went on to play for Gillingham. Strong Physical stats for League 2 will make him a decent Right back.

Peter Gilbert (DL)

Signed from Northampton town in the summer. Experienced player having played for a host of clubs including Plymouth and Oldham. Handy player to have in the team.

Graham Coughlan (DC)

Braught in from Shrewsbury. Very experienced Center Back and also coach to the reserves team. Strong Tackling and detirmination skills. But at 35 can't play every game.

Bilel Mohsni (DC)

Signed from a reletively unknown club in the French Lower leagues. Very good in the air. This Tunisian looks like he could have a bright future at the club.

Mark Phillips (DRC)

Signed from Brentford this summer. Played for Millwall before that. Strong defender, should do a good job at either position for the club.

Luke Prosser (DC)

Product of Spurs Youth Academy, this young defender has a promising future since his move to the Shrimpers

Johnny Herd (DL)

One of the only remaining Shrimpers from last year. This very promising young full back continues to impress and could prove useful in the following years.

Chris Barker (DLC)

Lacks Pace but strong in tackling and marking. Could be more useful in the centre than at left back. High detirmination and bravery too.

Midfielders

Josh Simpson (MRC)

Strong Midfielder on loan from Peterborough. Should be used as much as possible as well as looking to keep him at the club if possible.

Anthony Grant (DR/DM/MC)

Arguably the best player to stay with Southend United. Has everything in his game still and should be held onto at all costs. Lose this player and things may get very tough.

Craig Easton (MC)

Former Captain of Dundee Utd. Moved for a free from Swindon in the summer. Experienced but not fantastic. Good enough for league 2 but doubtful he would move further.

Sofiane Zaaboub (DL/ML/AML)

Signed on a free, last played at Walsall in the 2008/09 campaign. Reputation for always wearing gloves, no matter what weather condition. Pacey winger will help to get forward quickly.

Ryan Hall (MLC)

Young Midfielder, signed from Bromley in the summer. Decent backup but doubtful 1st team player.

Adam Bouzid (DM/MC)

French Midfielder, braught in from an unknown Morrocan club called MC Oujda. Good pyhsical stats and good tackler.

Louie Soares: (MRC/AMR)

Barbadan International signed a one year deal following being released by Aldershot. Quick with a decent cross for this division. Maybe useful if players are hard to come by.

Strikers

Matthew Paterson (S)

Signed as part of the deal which saw Lee Barnard go the other way to Southampton. Decent striker who's stats have dropped slightly in this release. Still could perform well in this level, also only 20 so room for improvement.

Barry Corr (S)

Signed in the summer from Exeter. This striker brings a new dimention to Southends play as a target man if needed. Good forward to have on the books.

Blair Sturrock (S)

Paul Sturrock's son, signed from Mansfield Town in the summer, another strong forward but not too quick. Would be good backup.

Scott Spencer (S)

The last of the players who stayed with the Shrimpers while others walked. Signed from Rochdale in the January transfer window last season. Known as Screech for his hairstyle, good forward who should be used when needed.

Future Star Shrimpers?

Merrick-James Lewis (MLC/AML)

18 Year old coming up from the Southend Academy, from what i've heard in the Southend Camp, has a bright future in the Southend Team. Will this be shown in the game?

Harry Crawford (S)

This young 18 Year old striker started to break into the first team last year and again shows that he could do this again this year. Good stats for an 18 year old and may have a positive future at the club.

0,,10444~8951834,00.jpg

Southend Squad for this year, but will you make many changes?

Best 1st Team Player

0,,10444~6833882,00.jpg

Anthony Grant is easily the best player in the Southend United Squad. At the begining of the game, Millwall are after him already and should be kept away from him at all costs. This man could be pivital in the midfield of the team and could single-handidly win promotion back to league 1

Best Youth Prospect

04-dagenham-crawford.jpg

Harry Crawford could be the answer to Southend's striking needs. At 18 this player looks like he could already be in the starting line-up at League 2 and still has room to grow. You should be looking to use this player as best as possible.

Staff

Chairman: Ron Martin

Managing Director: Geoffrey King

Director: Frank Van Wezel

Director: Ian Riddoch

Director: Raymond Osbourne

Director: Michael Markscheffel

Director: Nighel Brunning

Manager: You?

Assistant Manager: Tommy Widdrington

Player/Coach: Graham Coughlan

Goalkeeper Coach: Lee Turner

Fitness Coach: Laurence Bloom

Youth Coach: Luke Hobbs

Youth Coach: Bill Garner

Youth Coach: Ricky Duncan

Youth Coach: Mark Bonner

Physio: Ben Clarkson

Scout: Colin Richardson

Scout: Mick MacNeill

Scout: Allan Gemmill

Scout: Nigel Brown

Records!

Team

Biggest Win -

Most goals scored in one league season -

Most points in one season -

Most games won in a row -

Most games without defeat -

Fastest goal scored -

Largest goal difference at end of season -

Players

Most goals scored in one game -

Most goals scored in one season -

Most assists in one season -

Most MotM awards in one season -

Youngest league goalscorer -

Highest average rating over one season -

Transfers

Most spent on one player -

Most received for one player -

Special Thanks to CPS for the Model and all his help :)

From what i've seen its difficult to attract players to our club unless its on a tempory loan. Im hoping with some success in the league that this may pick up. Problem is our financial difficulties and the fact we can't afford to spend will hold us back. We have a defficit in the game of 1k in our wages before we even begin to sign players

Hi ya first post but long long time fm player, im always Southend i am a shrimpers supporter and its always a challenge lol. You can get Ron to increase the wage budget a little at the start from 18k to 21k so that helps sign a couple of good freebies but choose wisley as once your overspent thats it max wages for a key player they will allow is £130 a week which dont work!

Expectations are too high as well, expected to get promotion or winner and thats it so if you struggle for the first month as i did and sit in mid table then your job becomes at risk. I couldnt get a tactic to work at all form FM10 so had a play and have not lost since! top of the table at the begining of December.

Signings so far:

Sam Sodje - Star man - Free

Simon Whaley - Starting get very good performances - Free

Danny Uchechi - Star Man - Free

Paul Mcveigh - Ok ish - Free

Steve irwin - Loan

Josh Parker - Loan

Rhys Murphy - Loan

Marko Mitrovic - Loan

Just hoping my budgets get a lot better in the full version and or when promoted.

Thanks CPS - I was quite pleased with it. Thanks for the help with it, Just hope that people will become active in here this year. You've done well with your signings there Rampage. Lemme know how you do. Im really looking forward to the new game coming out. Will probably take time to get the team up to Premier League status. But would be fantastic and more of a achievement this year than it was last year when i got them into the Champions League :)

Just an update on budgets at the end of the demo, you have a chance to re-affirm your target for the season so as i was top i went from promotion to winner and got 70k transfer and 26k wages! so cant wait for full version and a few extra signings! Ill try to work out how to add my tactic to here because i won 12 games straight in all comps then lost 3-2 away to portvale but won the next 2 after that so 14 won to 1 loss!

Southend is a really fun team to manage. When the full game is released, this will be one of my main saves. Last year I had Southend United in the Premier League, finished 4th and into the knockout stages of the Champions League. Building to do that again this year may well be more challenging with the financial problems we suffered in rl last year. Still, makes for an interesting FM save :)

I finished the Demo in 2nd - but im not sure if i want to carry on. Mainly because i didn't really have any money to do things with, wages were shot and we were losing money. I've just finished downloading the game, so i need to sort my graphics out first then im going to think about what I want to do :)

End of Season 2010/2011 Review

Promoted:

1st: Rotherham

2nd Southend

3rd: Hereford

Playoff: Bury who finished 7th

Star Southend Men:

Dave Van Den Burgh - Sublime crosses for my strikers

Rhys Murphy - Finished what my other stikers on my books wouldn't finish

Thoughts for next season

Need more strength in depth, especially midfield. Also need my own strikers who can finish

Have just won league 2 with Southend United

Need advice of who to buy (barging buys, free agents, loanees and quality players for league 1), staff to get in and any tips to now keep southend in League 1!

Thanks

End of Season 2011/2012 Review

Promoted:

1st: Plymouth

2nd Huddlesfield

Playoff: MK dons (Finished 5th)

9th: Southend

Southend Star Men:

Magnus Erikem: Towards the end of the season, started to really get some good performances from him, looking forward to him next year!

Will Keane: If i can bring him and Murphy back next year - i think we could make it to Championship. Finished well and was able to bring other players in.

Thoughts for next season

Defense needs serious tightening. New Left back, Right back and maybe one more central defender would be needed in order to prevent some of my younger less experienced players from coming in. Although Herd was looking decent, playing a whole season with him at this level isn't going to help matters, Shalem Logan on the right needs to improve too. Although he is quick, his defensive duties really let him down. Automatic Promotion next year?

I think i will stop playing until i know the problem with the crosses is fixed - im getting increasingly annoyed at this - we should be really easily winning this league - and with Sonko and Caldwell in defense - easily not letting in 3 goals a game! Im fed up!

Hi there, I'm not a Southend fan but I did start as Southend, two consecutive promotions in the first two seasons but I have struggled this season in the Championship. I came 2nd in League 2, should have won it, finished on 99 points and Morcambe finished on 100.

2nd season I breezed through the play offs after finishing a very satisfying 3rd.

The club is set up well if you cull the big wage players like Paterson, Scott Spencer. I got a few amazing free's who basically promoted me single handidly. Mickael Nicoise was a goal machine, I put faith(forced through injuries) in Harry Crawford who exploded full of goals. He hasn't cut it since League 2 though and I've just sold him for a measly 20k.

My main advice is to cut wages, put faith in the established names at the club eg Anthony Grant and most of all, I think its very easy to "free transfer" your way to the Championship. Trial players to get wages down, offer agents bags of money to get the players to agree to your lower wage offers.

If anyone has got Southend to the Championship or any other League Two team there any advice? I'm currently 12th, VERY good in my eyes half way through the season but I can't plug the gaps at the back and I have amazing defensive players. Martin Kelly came in League 1 from Liverpool on a free and Anton Ferdinand was my first 10k a week player, again on a free. I dont expect 3 consecutive promotions at all but I'm struggling to think how to get us onto that "next level" I've always flown up the leagues and stalled in the Championship on every fm :( its frustrating when I read people who win the prem with small clubs! :)

Ive stopped while i try and work on a decent way to calm down my defensive problems. I will start again but i can't really help you too much as im still in League 1 - im not doing too badly and the team i have are doing well. But i will try and sort it soon and get back to you about getting to the promised land of the Premier League

Well done though :)

Hi Guys,

Just got southend promoted to the premiership after back to back promotions.

Could i please have advice on the must buy players that are decent premiership players.

Also what tactic should i use? what is the best fm11 tactic in your opinion?

Plus any tips or must do tasks (boardroom request ect) to keep them up would be appreciated!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I signed a couple frees.

Pezzolano, Simon Feindouno (27 goals in 30 games) and Ali Fuseini.

Got up the first season but langusihing mid table in the second season, it looks like we'll hang around mid this season then push on for the Championship the next.

I signed a couple frees.

Pezzolano, Simon Feindouno (27 goals in 30 games) and Ali Fuseini.

Got up the first season but langusihing mid table in the second season, it looks like we'll hang around mid this season then push on for the Championship the next.

I also got Feindouno but he didn't cut it in the Championship, 2nd season there, Michael Kightly, Daniel Sturridge, Fabien Delph the main stars of the side. Inconsitency may cost us in the end, but at the minute sniffing around the play offs.

• 3 weeks later...

Right. I have started again, after a bit of a poor league 2 campaign, seeing me only just get 2nd place on the last day of the season. I strengthened my side considerably.

End of Season 2010/2011 Report

Promoted:

1st. Gillingham

2nd. Southend United

3rd. Oxford

Playoff: Rotherham

Southend Star Men

Dave Van Den Bergh - Once again supplied the assists on a plate

Rhys Murphy - Scored plenty and helped with his share of assists to secure another loan appearence in league 1

Improvements for this year

More consistancy in defense is vital. Hoping that bringing in some new faces will help the burden off my key players when they pick up injuries.

End of Season 2011/2012 review

Promoted:

1st: Swindon

2nd: Southhampton

Playoff: Colchester

4th Southend

Southend Star Men

Rhys Murphy - Once again, many goals

Jose Baxter - Chipped in with goals, also helped with right wing duty

Joe Murphy - Strong in Goal

Improvements for next year

Was a very good season but had ups and downs with form, improvement would be trying to convert draws to wins as we had far too many draws in the league. 17 to be exact! To come 4th with that many draws shows that if i can improve the chances to goals conversion - we will go up next year.

Players to buy

Need to strengthen forwards and maybe a very strong defensive midfield to balance the attack out

• 2 months later...

So after getting bored and struggling with other saves, I've decided to be Southend. I looking forward to the new stadium but having a look it doesn't seem to be happening. Oh well, not a problem as Roots Hall is good enough and sufficient for our needs for the time being. The squad looks fairly weak and with me already being over the wage budget I've had the scrounge players from the reserves and youth. Anyone who looks like they can be back up will do. Crawford looks decent and I'll give him quite a few games this season. I've asked the board for more transfer funds but no luck. I'll try the wages soon. I've asked for a parent club, so I can get better quality players on loan for no wages but in the mean time I'm looking at bringing in four long-term loans. This should add more strength to the side so I'm not relying on the youth too much.

• 4 months later...

Ok,

Well - After cleaning my computer out - i decided with the help from my gf that starting another game on Southend is worth the test :) Lets see how it moves this time - i got them to the Championship last time. Can i improve on that?

Archived