Managing in League One (English) with minimal resources?

BDog1

I am playing Solihull Moors and I am currently in League 1 in the beginning of the transfer window in year 2016-17. It took me 3 years to get promoted from BS North, 2 years to get promoted from BS Premier and 1 year--quite shockingly--from League 2. My first year League 1 was quite a struggle as I barely survived and finished 20th. The problem I have is that the team's success got waaaaaay ahead of its resources as I still only have a local reputation, 3k seat stadium and sponsorship of only about $48,000 a year. The team's facilities, both training and youth, are minimal at this point and I never gone to the board for a request to build because of the continuous lack of money. I am competing against teams with vastly more resources, unlike the difference in the lower leagues.

I still have not purchased a player in transfer market in my first 7 years yet but it seems to me that the game of retaining talent in the free transfer market has come to end, either because of the lack of talent, the fact the players will not even try to sign because they know you do not have the resources or they do not the personalities that will fit into your squad. Additionally, getting players on loan is difficult either because of the upfront costs or the players are not all that good anyway.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

In the lower leagues, I've always pretty much relied on loans. I can't ever recall having to pay an upfront fee for a loan in England (below the PL), I usually don't even have to pay any wages. I'd head over to the player list, filter for players listed for loan and see who you can get. If you still can't get anyone for nothing, then maybe try asking the board to set up a parent club. You'll usually get someone in the PL who will let you loan their players for free. Also, if you can't find anyone on the loan list, go to some bigger clubs and get your assisstant manager to find out who is available on loan.

In the lower leagues, I've always pretty much relied on loans. I can't ever recall having to pay an upfront fee for a loan in England (below the PL), I usually don't even have to pay any wages. I'd head over to the player list, filter for players listed for loan and see who you can get. If you still can't get anyone for nothing, then maybe try asking the board to set up a parent club. You'll usually get someone in the PL who will let you loan their players for free. Also, if you can't find anyone on the loan list, go to some bigger clubs and get your assisstant manager to find out who is available on loan.

This. You can get loans for free from the Premiership as well but its whos interested. Also look at teams in the SPL as they will have some players who are interested in coming to you on loan and you dont have to pay their wages and they dont count towards your long term or short term loans from England. So you can get quite a few on season long loans.

Archived