Ronseal™

Purefun

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone that's interested (this may be old news but I've just heard) Barcelona have agreed a fee with Sevilla for left winger Adriano. Don't really know why they want him, but I'm sure Pep has a good reason :)

For anyone that's interested (this may be old news but I've just heard) Barcelona have agreed a fee with Sevilla for left winger Adriano. Don't really know why they want him, but I'm sure Pep has a good reason :)

That is a random signing. He can play LB as well though IIRC. Versatility may have landed him his place at the Nou Camp.

Hmm they do need a left back, but I wouldn't even have thought of Adriano as a possible target. Saying that, from the limited amount of Spanish football I watched last season, I think I only say him play once, so shouldn't really judge him too early.

I've never rated Maxwell, he's one of those unspectacular players who you never notice when he plays.

Gavin - Adriano is only like 25.

Guest roberto922
Anderlecht will win the Belgian one.

Everton the lesser english one.

This man knows. I really do think we can get top 4 though, if, big IF we can keep our main squad fit.

Tuckers still here \o/ I only really frequent the threads I created and the Real Madrid thread, plus the links thread, so I guess I'm just not seeing you because we post in different threads.

This man knows. I really do think we can get top 4 though, if, big IF we can keep our main squad fit.

Tuckers still here \o/ I only really frequent the threads I created and the Real Madrid thread, plus the links thread, so I guess I'm just not seeing you because we post in different threads.

Please tell me you are talking about Anderlecht and not Everton. Everton will struggle to stay top 10 unless they get a tycoon takeover, let alone break the top 4. Sorry toffees but thats the way I see it.

Guest roberto922

I was joking in regards to the title ofc.

But if you seriously think we'll be struggling to stay in the top 10 then you literally know nothing about our side, or football in general.

But if you seriously think we'll be struggling to stay in the top 10 then you literally know nothing about our side, or football in general.

I like Everton, but you's are nowhere near good enough for top 4. Maybe not "good" enough in the sense that your players are crap, but you's have literally 1 good player per position and that's it. Two or three injuries and that's you's knackered.

On a side note, what is Gosling actually like? I've only seen brief glimpses of him and he looks alright, what do you think of him?

Guest roberto922

Gosling's not good enough.

And I see your point, but we were stretched by competing in Europe, and we're not there this year, and 1 good player per position is a major exaggeration. In goal we have Howard, a standout performer at the WC and in general, then Mucha as backup, who is first choice for a decent international side, at right back we have any of Neville, Heitinga, the youngster Coleman or Hibbert who whilst no Maicon is very good defensively. Then at CB there's Jags and Heit first choice, then we have Yobo and Distin who have vast Premier League experience to play if Heit gets called elsewhere. Then centre mid, glorious centre mid. Arteta, Fellaini, Rodwell, Cahill, Osman (who is fb in position, vastly underrated by our fans and others alike) and Billy and Pienaar can play there if needs be. That's a whole lot of quality in the centre. Then on the wings we have Pienaar who is fantastic, Billy who is coming off 18 months of non stop football, he needs to be given a chance before he's judged. Then there's Vic who's a decent prospect, and Donovan could well be on his way back in. Then in attack, bearing in mind we only play 1, Louis Saha was fantastic before he got tired last season, I fully expect the same to happen this season, after him there's no standouts but Yakubu can still put in a shift when needed and add something different, and there's the likes of Beckford, Silva and Vaughan who all have goals in them.

We don't have the squad depth of Spurs or City but we're not as paper thin as people like to think. If most of the players stay fit this time we have a chance, considering at least one of Torres, Gerrard or Mascherano will be going I'd put us up with Liverpool once that happens, we've been ahead of Villa in quality for years, Spurs and Man City are still ahead of us but Man City still need to gel. Spurs are the big threat, but hopefully 'Arry will be shown up as the average manager he is.

I'm not saying we'll get top 4 btw, I know the odds are against us. But moronic posts saying we'll struggle to finish top 10 deserve to be shot down in flames, we need to be aiming for top 6 minimum.

Guest roberto922

3rd best form in the league in the 2nd half of the season when we finally got a proper squad together. But no we're poor with no big stars, we can't be good enough. No definitely not.

Guest roberto922

Liverpool really aren't as good as people seem to think. They rely vastly on 3 players, Masch is refusing to talk to to Roy, Gerrards on the decline and Torres is injury prone, after those 3 they're really not that good.

Man City on paper are obviously way ahead, and Tottenham are better, but since when does the fact that one side is better make it laughable that another side can get ahead of them? Were we better than Liverpool in 2005? No. Did we finish ahead of them? Yes. Football isn't as simple as a side finishing 6th because they have the best side on paper.

EDIT: Forgot about Pepe Reina for Liverpool. He's great too but he can't get them in to the top 4 on his own, they're a side in decline, they need more than an unhappy DM, a world class striker that only plays half of the games and a Gerrard that's a shadow of his former self. There's also the possibility that once one goes others will follow, as a big reason for players staying atm is that they've been promised star players won't be sold.

Maybe that was a slight exaggeration but there are clearly at least 7 teams better than yours and another 2 or 3 who if they get their act together could surpass you also.

Your squad is alright but you don't have the money to block any of your better players going to a top 6 club and would then be in big bother.

And I sincerely doubt that 'Arry will be shown up. I'm no mug and realise we have a massive challenge ahead this season but 'Arrys 'triffic at getting the best out of our boys and I think he will bring in a top striker to partner JD whilst off loading some of the dead weight like Keane and Jenas.

And what about Aston Villa, they're as good as or better than Everton. That makes seven.

I just think it's far too much to expect to "be aiming for top 6 minimum", that's all. Top 8 minimum - fair enough maybe, but those two extra positions are, in my opinion, going to be beyond Everton this season.

Guest roberto922

Ah you're a Spurs fan Edgar, that explains it. And I can pretty much guarantee you that none of our players would go to you, Man City are different though, and no one other than Man Utd and Chelsea can completely stop their players from going there.

fwiw on paper I'd agree that the top 5 are well ahead of us in terms of squad depth and quality, Liverpool not quite so much, and Villa aren't better on any front. But to say that anyone outside the top 8 is even close to us is laughable. Other than perhaps Fulham but they're nothing without Roy

Joe - We shouldn't be aiming for a top 6 place? I'm not saying we'll get it, but it is what we should be aiming for, we can't go in to the season saying 'oh they're better on paper, lets throw away our stellar form and past record, toe the line and finish 8th.

Guest roberto922

But to avoid dragging this thread in to a big argument on its first day back let's just agree to disagree. This argument is like a pre season ritual to me, every season plenty of people tell me we're not good enough and we'll struggle to finish in the top 10 etc., I enjoy being proven right every time so I'll wait til May 2011 and tick another season of 'I told you so' off the list.

The key word as I saw it was minimum. Sure you should aim for the top 6, but so should Birmingham, Fulham, Sunderland, it doesn't mean it should be seen as the 'minimum' you should get, otherwise why not just say your aim is to be champions.

Like I said, a good season would see you in the top 7, and a great season would be top 6, top 5 would be unbelievably good.

I don't think we do actually disagree on the quality of Everton's squad, but maybe we do on the extent of Liverpool's struggles and Villa's squad.

Guest roberto922

Man Utd realistically aren't as good as Chelsea do you think they're looking at anything less than 1st place? Moyes wants nothing less than top 4, whether we get it or not is a different story.

And on a final note, it's really quite insulting to be compared to Birmingham or Sunderland.

Why would you feel insulted by that? I wouldn't feel insulted if my Chelsea were compared with Arsenal :confused:

Anyway I guess we'll see by the end of the season (provided this thread is still alive) as we're on the first page. Time will tell but I'm betting on 8th for Everton :)

Guest roberto922

I'm insulted because the top 8 teams in the league at this moment are more than a class above the other 12 teams in ability, there really is no comparison.

Barnetboyz, finally someone that sees sense, thank god.

Not even a page in, and there are some really embaassing opinions about football. :D

Not from roberto though, not at all. Can't believe slating a side as "not even good enough for the top eight" who last season managed draws at Chelsea and Arsenal, beat City home and away, and also beat United and Chelsea at home.

Yeah, they're rubbish alright, and will be lucky to finish in the top half. :thup:

Yeah, they're rubbish alright, and will be lucky to finish in the top half. :thup:

At least you agree :D Haha, nah I wouldn't say they weren't top 8 standard, but top 4 I just don't think they're strong enough AT THE MINUTE to be making it there. A little bit of investment/ a takeover and they could just well do it.

Archived