*Official FMS Challenge 2010 #1* The Minnows Challenge (by stoehrst)

Terk

The Minnows Challenge

by stoehrst

Objective:

Take a club team from a nation that's never had a representative in the UEFA Champions League group stages and get the club there. Also, win the UEFA Cup/Europa League with a team matching the same description.

Eligible nations:

Northern Ireland

Ireland

Wales

Iceland

Faeroe Islands

Kazakhstan

Moldova

Albania

Macedonia

Luxembourg

Montenegro (I think, if they have a league)

Lithuania

Latvia

Estonia

Georgia

Armenia

Azerbaijan

Andorra

San Marino

Malta

Liechtenstein is ineligible because they do not have a domestic league, and therefore do not participate in the CL.

Rules:

1. The club you pick must be from the lowest possible division in the nation. You may use editors to go lower than what the game allows (for some leagues you may need editors in the first place).

2. You do not need to accomplish the two feats with the same club. Once you have accomplished one, if you move clubs you may move to another top-flight club in the same nation, rather than start over back at the bottom. However, if you move to a different qualifying nation, you must start back in the lowest tier.

3. If you use the editor, you MAY NOT intentionally stack your team or the league. This is obviously a fairly subjective ruling and it might be easy to cheat, but you'll have to live with yourself if you do. This is meant to be a challenge .

4. If you are sacked or resign from a club before you have accomplished either objective, the next job you take that can be considered for the challenge MUST be in the lowest possible tier of a qualifying nation.

5. Your manager MUST start with a reputation of "Automatic"

Bonuses:

1. Accomplish both objectives with the same team.

2. Accomplish both objectives in the same season.

3. Make/win the Champions League final with a qualifying team.

4. Become the national team manager of the nation whose club you took the group stages or Europa League championship.

5. Win the Euros with a qualifying nation's national team.

6. Win the World Cup with a qualifying nation's national team.

7. Make/win the Club World Cup Final with a qualifying team.

8. This one would be the toughest to swing: Win the Euros or the World Cup with the same nation of the club you completed either objective with. The captain of the national team must be your club captain.

Challenge Log

Started:

American Idiot (gavrenwick)

Gav has chosen Kazakhstan for his challenge attempt; the words 'glutton for punishment' come to mind. After a shaky start with Avangard-SKO Petropavlovsk, he has been fairly motoring up the league of late.

Lucky Charms (KharNivore)

KharNIvore has chosen to start in the dark depths of Northern Ireland with Lurgan Celtic. The standard over there is pretty terrible, so manager Angela Muir will have a lot of work on her hands to turn Lurgan into any sort of a force on the domestic front, let alone in Europe.

Europa League Target Achieved:

Champions League Target Achieved:

Bonus Target(s) Achieved:

Congratulations to stoehrst on a superbly tough challenge. Could people who start this add (TMC) to the end of their title (makes it easier for identification of challenge stories for award purposes and indexing purposes).

I like the fact that both the challenges this time around are magnificently difficult ones. I'd be surprised (and impressed) if anyone completes either, but it should provide for some fun gaming along the way.

Started a game last night with Miđvágs Bóltfelag in the Faeroe Islands 2nd Division (3rd tier). We're the only team in the league who aren't a reserve side of a club higher up the league structure and we're predicted to finish 8th out of 8. Also got Wales and Northern Ireland running in case I fail hopelessly with them.

Once I'm far enough along in the game I'll start writing.

Started a game last night with Miđvágs Bóltfelag in the Faeroe Islands 2nd Division (3rd tier). We're the only team in the league who aren't a reserve side of a club higher up the league structure and we're predicted to finish 8th out of 8. Also got Wales and Northern Ireland running in case I fail hopelessly with them.

Once I'm far enough along in the game I'll start writing.

If the reserve sides can't get promoted, something you could set, then you'd go up regardless of where you finished. I'm guessing they can only NOT be promoted from the 2nd tier to the top flight though :D

If the reserve sides can't get promoted, something you could set, then you'd go up regardless of where you finished. I'm guessing they can only NOT be promoted from the 2nd tier to the top flight though :D

I'm guessing that would come under Rule 3 of no editor cheating :D I'm using a league someone over in the Editor's Hideaway set up, I haven't actually checked the rules, but I'm guessing it will only be that they can't be promoted into the same league as their first team.

I'm guessing that would come under Rule 3 of no editor cheating :D I'm using a league someone over in the Editor's Hideaway set up, I haven't actually checked the rules, but I'm guessing it will only be that they can't be promoted into the same league as their first team.

Never been cheating :p

Challenge Log

KharNIvore has chosen to start in the dark depths of Northern Ireland with Lurgan Celtic. Thbe started over there is pretty terrible, so manager Angela Muir will have a lot of work on her hands to turn Lurgan into any sort of a force on the domestic front, let alone in Europe.

What an abysmal way of wording. Terk, stop drinking! :D

I got a little scared by the first few friendlies and haven't played it since. Admittedly we were playing teams from the division above but 8-1 and 5-0 weren't quite what I was hoping for :( Will see if I can do any better tonight.

I've never tried a save in my home country before, good God the standard of football is bad.

The biggest gulf is between the second and first division (IFA Championship 2 and 1) and then the IFA Premiership (N.I. Premier in FM). On a given day any side in the IFA 2 can hang with an IFA 1 side, generally the results go the upper division team's way but it's never a sure bet. Then, you get drawn against Glentoran in the Irish Cup...

Great challenge Stoehrst, although i must admit you went all out on making it as impossible as possible lol, and i took the extra difficult task of taking control of Lurgan Celtic from NI =/ woe is me haha. Good luck to to everyone whos entered, ill be following everyones stories!

The best line of action would be;

Get your team to the top league.

Consistently win the league to qualify for Europe, in turn earning money.

Improve your club finances over time with the European money and make rapid improvements to the club youth facilities.

Eventually take over the national side and with your clubs potential excellent youth facilities do as well as possible on the international stage.

Actually, its probably the only line of action :p

The biggest gulf is between the second and first division (IFA Championship 2 and 1) and then the IFA Premiership (N.I. Premier in FM). On a given day any side in the IFA 2 can hang with an IFA 1 side, generally the results go the upper division team's way but it's never a sure bet. Then, you get drawn against Glentoran in the Irish Cup...

I'm a half hearted Glens fan, i'd far rather be managing them than QUB. I see what you mean about results being a bit random between 1st and 2nd division. I loaded all leagues in England, Wales, Scotland, NI and the Republic, which has given me a few options on the transfer front, but in general the standard is still pap.

I'm a half hearted Glens fan, i'd far rather be managing them than QUB. I see what you mean about results being a bit random between 1st and 2nd division. I loaded all leagues in England, Wales, Scotland, NI and the Republic, which has given me a few options on the transfer front, but in general the standard is still pap.

Assembling a top side in IFA C1 and C2 is seriously easy to do, completely free of charge as well. FM09 (and hopefully 10) finally patched out an issue where you couldn't sign players to contracts lower than 45 or 50 pounds per week (which was crippling to a budget like QUB's or Chimney Corner's) and as long as you emphasize the right attributes you shouldn't have an issue.

At that level especially, I generally just do player searches and filter the following: Determination 12, Work Rate 10, Teamwork 10, Pace 10. Every position except goalkeeper, that one I value reflexes most. Get tall players (especially defenders) and then when you filter out a list of viable targets, send your scout(s) hunting through them. Usually narrows the field down considerably, too. But the thing is, even though there might be more skilled players out there, if you get these types of players in your side they gel faster and work together better, and that's all you need to get results in that league.

EDIT: As successful as I've been in lower leagues, I'm still a bit shoddy on tactics, I think. My strikers average ratings tend to dip to the mid-6s at best, and while they score often, it's usually very streaky or in bunches. I can't seem to get consistent good play up front and I think it's because they are somewhat isolated or out of whack in my tactical set-up. Can't quite figure it out.

I've found that any players with exceptional physical qualities usually do excellently. One of my strikers has just 6 for finishing, but he did score a whole heap of goals because he had good pace and strength.

Damn this NI market lol, i managed to pick up some nice players for free as outlined in the story, and they are doing well, but one or two have been hit and miss, its do difficult to judge quality when they all look the same lol, def a difficult league, but im gonna hang in and see what happens.

I've just popped in here and realised that KharNivore has taken the same route as me, I went for Lurgan Celtic aswell. Im a decent way in, but haven't started posting yet - do I have to start again with a different team or can I keep the game going?

I want to take full credit for turning people on to the NI leagues...my Chimney Corner story, though it hasn't seen activity in over a month, surely had much to do with that :p

Your what story? Doesn't sound familiar.....

haha Stoehrst i wil ladmit i enjoyed the chimney Corner story, and i took a great deal of delight in beating the side recently in my game, albeit 1-0 but after the draw and the cheeky comment about me not getting a resultm i felt a little pride haha..

And another Lurgan player thats good mate, now we can compete to see who does the best with the teams, lol, wish you all the best with the team mate, hope you do well, first step is to now contend with my recent league win and promotion to NI1 :)

• 1 month later...

I got one and a half season into a campaign in Montenegro, but there were so many goals scored that writing up the matches was becoming boring and repetitive, might do it as a career update story with screenshots and very brief match reports.

I got one and a half season into a campaign in Montenegro, but there were so many goals scored that writing up the matches was becoming boring and repetitive, might do it as a career update story with screenshots and very brief match reports.

I wouldn't blame you on that. It's where I'm heading with mine; you best not beat me to it!

Archived