Penalty taking

I play as Ajax. Kennedy is set as my penalty taker and he has done it quite well during the season.

In Spring, Dutch cup semi final against BV Veendam (minor side from Jupiler League) penalty is awarded. Kennedy steps up, goalkeeper saves.

20 minutes later - another spot kick. I didn't replace Kennedy as a taker, but worst case scenario becomes true and he misses another penalty.

It doesn't affect the outcome and I take comfortable 3-0 win, but still 2 missed penalties is a bit strange...

Until something similar happens in my U-19 game - penalty taker misses first penalty in the game and instantly misses the other one 30 minutes later.

Of course, it makes sense, that player gets nervous after missed penalty and loses confidence, but it's not shown in motivation screen that he'd be 'playing nervously' or 'playing without confidence'.

Do you change your penalty takers always after first one misses the penalty?

Is the effect of missed penalty limited to ongoing game or is there a chance that in the next game my player is still too downhearted by last miss?

Maybe they are just bad penalty-takers.

Cardozo and Montolivo always miss at least 60% of their penalty's for me, although they do have a good penalty-taking attribute. Cardozo once missed 3 penalty's in one match. :confused:

I don't think it has anything to do with confidence, because I noticed this every save I have them in my team. Kennedy is probably a bad penalty taker. :p

I'd guess that Age, Important Matches, Composure, Pressure and Morale also play a part according to certain other conditions. Perhaps Finishing and Determination too? I think that's why sometimes you get messages from your coaching staff saying so-and-so shouldn't be taking penalties despite him having an 18 or something in Penalty Taking.

I'd guess that Age, Important Matches, Composure, Pressure and Morale also play a part according to certain other conditions. Perhaps Finishing and Determination too? I think that's why sometimes you get messages from your coaching staff saying so-and-so shouldn't be taking penalties despite him having an 18 or something in Penalty Taking.

This.

Hidden stats quite certainly have an impact; things like consistency and important matches. Though I'm not entirely sure which of the other stats (besides determination) affect set pieces...I'd be shocked if composure didn't have an effect, as well as certain ppms.

This.

Hidden stats quite certainly have an impact; things like consistency and important matches. Though I'm not entirely sure which of the other stats (besides determination) affect set pieces...I'd be shocked if composure didn't have an effect, as well as certain ppms.

Good call, I forgot about PPMs. Wonder if anyone has made any observations with Places vs Power.

Would be fun to see a chipped penalty now and then too. :p

Archived