[FM10] Why did I start this? And in Bradford of all places.

Terk

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canvey Island

Premier League

2021/22

Premier League

The media were predicting us to finish dead last once more and the board hadn't raised their expectation either. I had though, I didn't want to even be involved in the relegation battle, and realistically I was targeting around 14th place. The season didn't start well, however, and seven weeks in we were worryingly in 19th place and the negative tactics we had used were being found out. A change to a 4-3-3 helped immensely and we shot up the table, hitting the heights of 5th place in week 16. We struggled a little with our consistency after than and bounced around the top ten for the rest of the season, unfortunately not quite able to make a break for the European spots over the final weeks of the season.

League Positions Graph

FA Cup

Sucks Ass. Knocked out by Leeds in the third round after a replay.

League Cup

Having reached the final back when we were in the Championship, I have a real fondness for this trophy and it didn't diminish this season. Having dispensed with lower league sides Chesterfield and Doncaster, we came up against Liverpool in the quarter final and squeaked through in a penalty shoot out. That set us up with a semi final against Chelsea, and after losing the first leg 1-0 at home, my hopes were low. And epic second leg ensued, however, with two injury time goals sending us into the final against Man City. Realistically we were never in the game, but having scored late goals in each of the previous rounds, I was quite disappointed we didn't manage another at Wembley.

Europa League

Our first foray into Europe lasted eight games. We tonked Kalju (of Estonia) and Shakhter Soligorsk (of Belarus) without conceding a goal, whilst we scored thirteen ourselves over the four games. Croatian side Istra 1961 provided even less of a threat in the third qualifying round as we romped to a 6-0 win at their place in the first leg and eased to an 8-0 aggregate win. That put us against Slavia Prague for a place in the tournament proper, and despite dominating the home leg we suffered a 1-0 loss. We went to Prague perhaps a bit too determined to get ourselves level early on and went down 4-0 on the night, 5-0 on aggregate.

Transfers

The net spend would have been bigger had Liverpool not met Giampiero Maestri's release clause in January, but I hope he enjoys his Championship football next season :p We suffered a blow when our £6M striker Manuel Wiedl broke his leg, returning only for the final game of the season at Wigan, but overall I don't think I shopped well this year. Too many disappointing players and ineffective loan signings.

Key Players

Pasquale Costantini came in on loan from Milan and played well in the centre of our midfield; indeed he was the only one of our regular midfield trio who really was worth noting. Giovanni Pasini had another good season as he joined the 100 club, but still looks unsure at corners whilst Jamie Murphy is an excellent centre back that I can only hope we keep hold of.

Kyle Naughton had a good season, largely played out of position at left back, and that was necessary because of Boris Zdravkov's rapid improvement on the right. The Bulgarian will be sorely missed when he joins Schalke in the summer.

None of our strikers really fired in the league, we tended to spread the goals around, much to my surprise, but both Juan Collado, who had a spell on loan with us when we were in League 2, and Sam Vokes did well in the cups and were solid enough in the league.

Next Season

With the board announcing a stadium expansion, which was effectively paid for by the £11.25M we brought in through finishing 10th, the club continues to move forward. I'd be very happy if we managed to finish in the top ten again, and I think it's time that a trophy was put in the cabinet.

Career Overview

Season League Final Pos. Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuneaton Town
2010/11 Blue Square North 5th Lost in play-off semi final
2011/12 Blue Square North 12th Sacked 11 games into the season

Canvey Island
2012/13 Blue Square South 10th None
2013/14 Blue Square South 4th Promoted via play-offs
2014/15 Blue Square Premier 3rd Promoted via play-offs
2015/16 League 2 8th None
2016/17 League 2 3rd Automatic Promotion
2017/18 League 1 4th Promoted via play-offs
2018/19 Championship 12th League Cup Finalists
2019/20 Championship 3rd Promoted via play-offs
2020/21 Premier League 17th Didn't get relegated
2021/22 Premier League 10th League Cup Finalists

Canvey Island 100 Club

Name (Position) League Games (Overall Games); League Goals (Overall Goals); Average Rating
(Dates at club)

James Foster (ST) 215 (260); 118(135); 7.12
(2013-2019)
Jeet Padaruth (GK) 213 (243); 76 (89); 6.96
(2012-2018)
John Bostock (AMC) 196 (231); 22 (30); 7.05
(2015-2022)
Matthew Darlow (DC) 194 (232); 16 (20); 6.86
(2011-2017)
Kostas Tsioukas (DC) 188 (223); 27 (30); 7.14
(2014-2020)
Mark Hartmann (MC) 183 (217); 20 (31); 6.91
(2010-2017)
Iain Blackman (AMLC/FC) 144 (172); 31 (39); 7.01
(2016-2021)
Theo Angus (DL) 125 (150); 0 (2); 6.87
(2012-2018)
Giovanni Pasini (GK) 115 (135); 28 (38); 7.06
(2019-Present)
Joseph Owusu Tabiri (DR, MRC) 105 (130); 3 (4); 6.91
(2012-2016)
Kyle Wilson (ST) 103 (120); 36 (44); 6.96
(2013-2016)
James Murphy (DC) 102 (124); 9 (11); 7.12
(2019-Present)
Ismail Yakubu (DC) 102 (113); 4 (4); 7.09
(2013-2016)

2022/23

Preview

Info

Division: Premier League

Stadium: Canvey Island Stadium

Capacity: 14,870 (all seater)*

Bank Balance: £26,882,844

Transfer Budget £16,844,730

Wage Budget: £253,065 per week

Wage Bill: £166,544 per week

Board Expectation: Avoid relegation

Media Prediction: 16th

Pre-Season Odds: 1000-1

To be honest I was hoping for a bit more in the way of a transfer budget, particularly given the fact that I sold £19.5M of talent on the opening day of the window. Realistically I can't see the squad being much better than last year, although the rise in wage budget will definitely help our cause. A season of consolidation in the league is my aim, another solid mid-table finish would be excellent, and I'd like to put a trophy in the cabinet.

*Ground capacity reduced by 1,837 during expansion works, due to be completed on 16/10/22. New capacity will be 25,060 (all seater).

Canvey Island

2022/23

Premier League

Premier League

It seems slightly churlish to describe a season in which we finish third at this stage of the challenge as 'disappointing', but in a few ways this was just that. Having played very well in the first two thirds of the season, claiming 51 points by the time we'd played 27 games, a real level of inconsistency dug in and we claimed only another 16 out of the final 33 points available. Winning at Leeds and thumping West Ham 4-0 were great results, but the elation was tempered by throwing away a 2-0 lead at home against Reading and losing 3-1 on the final day to an already relegated Man Utd side. Overall, however, it would be ridiculous not to count this season as a success. We opened up and played a more attacking style of football, and it reaped its rewards with the second highest goal tally in the league, even if we did concede a few more than I would have liked. Still, Champions League, here we come.

League Positions Graph

League Cup

I had targeted this as my first trophy, so getting spanked 4-0 by Championship side Sheffield Wednesday in the third round wasn't ideal.

FA Cup

With the League Cup gone, I turned my attention to the bigger prize. We disposed of lower league opposition in Fulham, Liverpool and Middlesbrough before we faced soon-to-be lower league opposition in Man Utd in the quarter final. We should have got it done first time but threw away a two goal lead at Old Trafford, and we very nearly did the same in the replay, hanging on in the end for a 2-1 win. That paired us with Chelsea in the semi final, a side who haven't conceded in the competition since January 2021. They still haven't. They won 1-0, and I'm quite frankly a little scared by Uncle Carlo and his team that can go a Premier League season and concede only 12 goals.

Transfers

We broke the club's transfer record twice in ten days this summer, first bringing in Pitshou Daniëls from PSG for £8M before we needed £9.75M to part Chris Wright from Burnley. A few big ticket sales meant that we ended up with a net transfer profit, which I hadn't expected, and the overall quality of the squad that I have assembled now possibly means that I can chase those one or two big money signings each summer to try and move us that big closer to the irresistible force (Man City) and the immovable object (Chelsea).

Top 5 Players

5. Giovanni Pasini - A reluctant choice, but he just about deserves his mention as there were times during the season when he put in blinding performances, and 15 clean sheets is impressive. However, he still can't catch a cold, and I will be exploring the possibility of replacing him this summer.

4. Radim Pokorny - A £1M buy in January whom I had no intention of playing this season, until I saw quite how good he was. It was immediately obvious that he was going to gain nothing from playing in the reserves, and he acquitted himself very well in early sub appearances. Even at just 17, he'll be a fixture in next season's squad.

3. Yvan Favre - Niggling injuries interrupted the Frenchman's first season at Canvey, but he showed what he can do and has the potential to make the left back spot his own over the next few years.

2. James Murphy - Another top notch season from our young centre back. He's being chased by the great and the good of European football and I'm delighted we have him tied down to a long term deal. Will be vital if we're to make anything of the Champions League next season.

1. Manuel Wiedl - The best thing to come out of Austria since Hermann Meier, Manuel showed us just what we missed last season when he was out with a broken leg. Both a goal scorer and creator, he could have done even better if his season hadn't been interrupted by a couple of ankle sprains. Eager to see him play on Europe's biggest stage next season.

Next Season

Well, another top four finish has to be the aim, doesn't it? I wouldn't be happy with 8th place after getting a taste of Champions League football. As for our place at Europe's big table, we'll almost certainly get a bitch of a group (if we get that far) as we won't have a seeding, so if we can finish third and drop into the Europa League then I'd consider it a success.

Career Overview

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuneaton Town

Canvey Island
2022/23 Premier League 3rd Qualified for Champions League

Canvey Island 100 Club

Name (Position) League Games (Overall Games); League Goals (Overall Goals); Average Rating
(Dates at club)

(2013-2019)
(2012-2018)
(2015-2022)
(2011-2017)
(2014-2020)
(2010-2017)
Giovanni Pasini (GK) 153 (178); 42 (53); 7.07
(2019-Present)
(2016-2021)
James Murphy (DC) 134 (160); 14 (16); 7.16
(2019-Present)
(2012-2018)
(2012-2016)
Sam Vokes (ST) 103 (127); 31 (40); 6.96
(2019-2023)
(2013-2016)
(2013-2016)

2023/24

Preview

Info

Capacity: 25,060 (all seater)

Bank Balance: £33,363,353

Transfer Budget £35,991,697

Wage Budget: £417,505 per week

Wage Bill: £278,594 per week

Board Expectation: Top half finish

Media Prediction: 6th

Pre-Season Odds: 40-1

The board have provided me with a handsome transfer budget and improved expectations to match, though still I'm more ambitious than they are.

Priority #1: Get to the group stage of the Champions League

Priority #2: Qualify for the 2024/25 Champions League

Priority #3: Win a bloody trophy

Priority #4: Don't finish bottom of the Champions League group stage

With those in mind and the core of a strong squad already in place, I may chase a couple of more expensive signings this summer to try and bring us that bit closer to the quality available to both Man City and Chelsea as we try to chase them down.

Yeah, I changed over about 8 games into the last season. I tend to try and patch when my games are in pre-season, but having just started a season I didn't want to wait as there were a good few things about 10.2 that were irritating me.

If only it were the case in real life. They'd be crying in Cornwall and Surrey. :D

So I'm a typical United supporter then? Born and raised in Surrey and living in Cornwall :D

And Turk well done on your career so far, you can't suck any worse at LLM than me.

Canvey Island

Premier League

2023/24

Premier League

My target for this season was to consolidate our position in the top four, to qualify again for the Champions League and starting raking in the cash from Europe's big table that would allow us to build the team to end Man City's domination. For the first time we had a really significant net spend, perhaps summed up by the £19.5M spent on Andrade from Flamengo. Having scored 124 goals for them in 186 games I thought he was ready for the step up, and he eventually proved that he was, just not until after I'd agreed to sell him to Milan for £20M.

We started the season very well (a week three hiccup at Aston Villa aside) and much to my surprise we largely kept up with the pacesetters. We kept going on runs of four or five wins and never lost twice in a row, though we did look for a moment in January like dropping off the pace when we suffered three defeats in five games, but after we lost 2-1 at home to Q.P.R., we went on a thirteen game unbeaten run that had us right in the mix. In the midst of that run was a 1-0 success at Man City's Power Stadium that first made me think we might be in with a chance of the title, and then when we topped the charts with five games to go after they drew with Newcastle, I started to get nervous.

An incredible come-from-behind win over Reading opened up a points gap as City drew their second consecutive game (against Tottenham) and we then beat Stoke, Newcastle and Nottingham Forest to make sure we went into the final day ahead. With a four goal lead in the goal difference column, we likely only needed a draw at Everton, but despite our best efforts at a comeback we were undone. It didn't matter, however, as Aston Villa stepped up to be our heroes, and ensuring that Canvey Island were named Premier League Champions!

League Positions Graph

Past Winners

Favoured Personnel. Finally.

League Cup

My desire for a trophy focused in the early part of the season on the League Cup. Having twice lost in the final to Man City, I was determined that we could win it and finally put some silverware in the cabinet. We took extra time to beat Blackburn before stuffing Tottenham and then coming from behind to beat Villa in the quarter final. The semi final draw was kind to us, pairing us with Sheffield United, whom we dominated in the first leg and destroyed in the second. Everton saved us from facing a third League Cup final against Man City by beating them on penalties in the semis, and their reward was to get stuffed in the final.

FA Cup

I sniffed a cup double having dispensed with Arsenal 5-2 in round five, but drawn against the might of Chelsea in the quarters, we stood no chance and went down 4-1.

Champions League

We took time to adapt to the level and eventually that came back to bite us in the ass. Defeats against Standard and Bayern in the first two weeks left us reeling before Patrick Marongiu inspired a stunning victory over Benfica. We couldn't get anything from the return game, but when we duffed up Standard on Match Day Five, we left ourselves with a chance of qualification. We battered Bayern senseless on the final day, but only enough to get a 1-1 draw, which meant not even the consolation of the Europa League as we finished bottom of the group.

Top 5 Players

5. Adam Hutchinson - He may not look all that great for a defensive midfield role, but his sixteen assists speak otherwise. A calming influence in the middle of the park able to put his foot on the ball and dictate the tempo of the game. A classy player who thoroughly deserves his call up to Euro 2024.

4. Giovanni Pasini - I have maligned Gio's aerial ability on many an occasion, but he made up for it this season, sitting behind a brilliant defence and putting in performance after performance of shot-stopping brilliance. I'll forgive the occasional dropped cross and kamikaze charge that do cost us goals for someone who can keep nineteen clean sheets in a league season. He earned his contract extension.

3. Juan Collado - Perhaps Dirk Kuijt, rather than Emile Heskey would be the better comparison for Juan, given the sheer amount of grass he covers in a game. The work horse who is often the first name on my team sheet despite not having the technical skills that others do, Juan finally got his time to shine this season. An ever present in our league campaign, weighing in with fifteen goals and a legend in our league cup success, Juan is starting to win favour in his adopted nation and is definitely amongst my 'untouchables'.

2. James Murphy - A centre back who scores thirteen goals in a season, gets voted into the World XI and doesn't get my #1 pick? Despite being utterly brilliant for most of the season, there were games in which James was goppingly awful in this campaign, and a few of those really did cost us points. For that reason he has to make do with #2 for this season, but I wouldn't for the first moment think of selling him, and if he does have the good grace to see out his career with us, he could just be the one to break the club league appearance record.

1. Patrick Marongiu - Patrick scored in fits and starts this season, but a striker who scores thirty three goals and adds ten assists, no matter how they come, has to be near the top. It was the importance of his strikes that won out for him, and not just his five haul against Benfica. He regularly popped up late on with crucial strikes or simply took the game away from the opposition early on with some utter brilliance. Having had him on loan twice before I already knew how good he could be and this season just confirmed it.

Next Season

Retaining the title will be a very tall order. Top four is a must, as is getting into the knockout stages of the Champions League. Another trophy would be nice as well, now that I've got the taste for them.

Career Overview

Nuneaton Town

Canvey Island
2022/23 Premier League 3rd Qualified for Champions League
2023/24 Premier League 1st Premier League Champions
League Cup Winners

Canvey Island 100 Club

(Dates at club)

(2013-2019)
(2012-2018)
(2015-2022)
(2011-2017)
Giovanni Pasini (GK) 188 (226); 61 (74); 7.10
(2019-Present)
(2014-2020)
(2010-2017)
James Murphy (DC) 165 (200); 22 (29); 7.21
(2019-Present)
(2016-2021)
Juan Collado (ST) 128 (168); 43 (63); 6.94
(2015-16 & 2020-Present)
(2012-2018)
(2012-2016)
Sam Vokes (ST) 103 (127); 31 (40); 6.96
(2019-2023)
(2013-2016)
(2013-2016)

2024/25

Preview

Info

Capacity: 22,805* (all seater)

Bank Balance: £50,528,156

Transfer Budget £38,844,514

Wage Budget: £629,673 per week

Wage Bill: £391,961 per week

Board Expectation: Top four finish

Media Prediction: 4th

Pre-Season Odds: 16-1

For once the board's expectation, the media prediction and my own belief on what we can achieve pretty much match up. Defending our unexpected title will be a massively tall order, and I'll be happy with another top four finish, ensuring another season of Champions League football. I'd like to defend the League Cup we won last season, but fixture congestion might put paid to that idea as I feel we have to make progress in Europe this season and qualify for the knock out stages of the Champions League.

My backroom staff needs some changes as we had a couple of coaches with us from the Championship days who weren't quite up to the task and Sean Davis has left as my assistant manager. But with the budget the board have given me and another expansion of the stadium due to be completed in October, I believe we can afford to assemble a pretty damn good squad, improve upon our coaching staff and start building towards a potential era of Canvey Island domination.

*Capacity temporarily reduced by 2,255 to 22,805 due to expansion work on stadium due to be completed on 26/10/24. New capacity will be 33,414 (all seater).

Archived