Life at the Camrose

Wimb The Barman

FM09 V9.0.3 - Running Belgium (3+), Czech Republic (2+) England (BSS/N+) Germany (2+) Italy (B+) France (National+) Holland (Eerste+) N.Ire (2+) Ireland (1+) Scotland (3+) Spain (adelante+) Sweden (1+) Wales (Prem only)

Good lord I’m going to give this a go. I’ve only decided to write this as I begin my fifth season so for the first few years it’s going to be a bit of a recap job. But from 2012 this should feel a bit more like a regular story, with characters being fleshed out a bit and such.

As usual thanks for reading and all comments and questions welcomed .

Life at the Camrose

There was little I could say to the players as they sat in the dressing room after the game. Truth be told nothing that I could say would be able to make them feel better, or take away the disappointment that the entire football club was feeling at that moment.

A 1-1 draw against Forest Green in the second leg of the Blue Square Premier Conference National playoffs meant that we were eliminated 2-1 on aggregate, and would spend another season in the tier below the football league.

As the Camrose Stadium in Basingstoke emptied I sat in my office wondered if I’d be here to see another game as manager. I poured myself a drink as I saw the floodlights go out and allowed myself to think just how I’d got to this point.….

Nearly four years ago and myself, Dan Wimbush wasn’t known to anybody outside of the local Berkshire/Hampshire footballing scene. My previous experience had come through managing local non league side AFC Newbury and helping out part time with coaching the youth players at Reading. At thirty five, I’d never played professionally but used to turn out now and then on a Sunday as a goalkeeper.

Even so, I’d just been appointed manager of Blue Square Conference South outfit Basingstoke Town . The club didn’t have much in the way of history, this was the highest level of the footballing pyramid that the club had ever played in. The team had made a few FA Cup runs over the years, including an appearance before Sky TV cameras a few years back.

Needless to say though, Basingstoke wasn't exactly a household name.

The club was based in the Southern English county of Hampshire, near the Berkshire border and located not too far from a few league sides, with Reading, Aldershot and Southampton the most notable.

We played at the Camrose Stadium , which held around 6,000 and seated roughly 600 or so. Our training facilities were basic, using local colleges facilities and our youth team could probably have doubled up as a local college side, often made up of local school kids and trialists.

I remember meeting chairman David Hunt the day I took over and him outlining his vision for the club after the departure of previous manager and former Leeds player Frank Gray .

“Daniel, some people won’t understand why I’ve appointed you manager of this football club. By your own admission you’ve never managed above amateur level but it’s not just what you’ve done on the pitch. Your work with limited resources off the pitch impressed me greatly and I hope you can do the same here. I have hopes that maybe one day this club can play in the Conference National and then within a decade who knows what we could achieve.”

The chairman’s ambition was something that filled me with hope. Some chairman would hire a rookie manager and talk about ‘cutting your cloth’ and use phrases like ‘being realistic’ David on the other hand was different, and I hoped I wouldn’t let him down.

Nine months later and the champagne was flowing. Basingstoke had been crowned Blue Square South Conference Champions and myself, the chairman and the team were enjoying our triumph in the dressing room..

At the start of the season we’d been tipped to go down, with a transfer budget close to the pocket money I was getting at nine years old and a wage budget that was already broken.

But the chairman had entrusted me with more then just the team on the pitch and so my first job was in assembling a backroom team. I brought in a scout, and a physio. The rest of the staff were all on one year part time contracts and I told each of them that they had a year with my full support.

As I said playing wise we had little in terms of a transfer budget but Ross managed to turn up a few players who were unattached. Ten players would be added to our books over the course of the year and none for a fee. Loans helped supplement us, with local side Reading sending us several of their promising youngsters.

By April we were celebrating an unlikely championship, having finished nine points clear of nearest rivals AFC Wimbledon , who would join us in the conference via the Playoffs.

In the cup competitions we managed a run to the second round of the FA Cup before losing to Bristol Rovers .

In the FA trophy we also went out in the second round, to Conference Premier outfit Burton Albion .

Finally in the Conference League Cup our dreams were ended at the third round stage to Torquay , again a higher league side.

It had been a season of great success, and my only concern was could the side or myself handle a higher level of football so soon.

Basingstoke Town season 2008/2009

League Finish: CONFERENCE SOUTH: 1st (Promotion)

| Pos   | Inf   | Team               |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | C     | Basingstoke        |       | 42    | 26    | 6     | 10    | 74    | 51    | +23   | 84    | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | P     | AFC Wimbledon      |       | 42    | 20    | 15    | 7     | 71    | 42    | +29   | 75    | 
| 3rd   |       | Team Bath          |       | 42    | 20    | 10    | 12    | 62    | 42    | +20   | 70    | 
| 4th   |       | Chelmsford         |       | 42    | 20    | 9     | 13    | 59    | 49    | +10   | 69    | 
| 5th   |       | Welling            |       | 42    | 17    | 16    | 9     | 60    | 49    | +11   | 67    | 
| 6th   |       | Havant & W         |       | 42    | 17    | 13    | 12    | 67    | 56    | +11   | 64    | 
| 7th   |       | Hampton & Richmond |       | 42    | 16    | 16    | 10    | 39    | 29    | +10   | 64    | 
| 8th   |       | Dorchester         |       | 42    | 16    | 16    | 10    | 52    | 45    | +7    | 64    | 
| 9th   |       | Eastleigh          |       | 42    | 18    | 9     | 15    | 49    | 42    | +7    | 63    | 
| 10th  |       | Hayes & Yeading    |       | 42    | 17    | 12    | 13    | 55    | 49    | +6    | 63    | 
| 11th  |       | Bath               |       | 42    | 17    | 9     | 16    | 47    | 51    | -4    | 60    | 
| 12th  |       | Weston-super-Mare  |       | 42    | 13    | 18    | 11    | 57    | 48    | +9    | 57    | 
| 13th  |       | Bishop's Stortford |       | 42    | 16    | 6     | 20    | 53    | 67    | -14   | 54    | 
| 14th  |       | Bromley            |       | 42    | 16    | 6     | 20    | 48    | 63    | -15   | 54    | 
| 15th  |       | Braintree          |       | 42    | 13    | 10    | 19    | 57    | 68    | -11   | 49    | 
| 16th  |       | Bognor Regis       |       | 42    | 13    | 10    | 19    | 42    | 54    | -12   | 49    | 
| 17th  |       | St. Albans         |       | 42    | 12    | 11    | 19    | 41    | 54    | -13   | 47    | 
| 18th  |       | Fisher             |       | 42    | 9     | 18    | 15    | 32    | 40    | -8    | 45    | 
| 19th  |       | Maidenhead         |       | 42    | 11    | 11    | 20    | 40    | 52    | -12   | 44    | 
| 20th  | R     | Worcester          |       | 42    | 11    | 10    | 21    | 46    | 63    | -17   | 43    | 
| 21st  | R     | Newport Co         |       | 42    | 9     | 10    | 23    | 49    | 65    | -16   | 37    | 
| 22nd  | R     | Thurrock           |       | 42    | 7     | 15    | 20    | 35    | 56    | -21   | 36    | 
|       |       |                    |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

Cup Competitions:

FA CUP: 2nd Round

FA TROPHY: 2nd Round

CONFERENCE CUP: 3rd Round.

Top Scorer: Simon Church: 37(+2) 34 Goals

Player of the year: Chris Pendleton

Cheers Terk :) I blame you guys and good stories for this ;) hopefully I can keep it going.

If the chairman had taken a gamble by hiring me, then I was taking a gamble releasing our captain, player of the season and assist leader from our title winning season, before a ball had even been kicked.

17 players joined the club and another half dozen would play for us on loan. 10 players were shown the door and a couple more left on season long loans with a view to permanent moves.

I also appointed a new coaching team, hiring two new scouts and recruiting a new assistant manager.

The fans Internet forum and letters to the local rag were full of confused fans wondering whether their manager had "lost the plot" with so many changes to a successful side. However, I knew that this season would really test us and that changes had to be made.

Four games into the season and top of the league, The Internet was strangely quiet, whilst the only concern in the local paper was about local teenage binge drinking….

In the end, whilst our early season form didn’t last I was still delighted that the club managed a 12th place finish in our first ever season in the Conference Premier.

In the FA Cup we fell in the first round to League Two side Bury after a replay.

In the FA Trophy we fell to last years title rivals AFC Wimbledon again after a replay.

And AFC Wimbledon also accounted for our exit in the Conference Cup at the 2nd round stage.

Basingstoke Town 2009/2010

League Finish: CONFERENCE PREMIER: 12th

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | C     | York          |       | 46    | 26    | 11    | 9     | 68    | 33    | +35   | 89    | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Grays         |       | 46    | 26    | 8     | 12    | 70    | 46    | +24   | 86    | 
| 3rd   | P     | Bournemouth   |       | 46    | 24    | 13    | 9     | 86    | 57    | +29   | 85    | 
| 4th   |       | Cambridge     |       | 46    | 24    | 10    | 12    | 76    | 48    | +28   | 82    | 
| 5th   |       | Kidderminster |       | 46    | 24    | 10    | 12    | 75    | 53    | +22   | 82    | 
| 6th   |       | Forest Green  |       | 46    | 23    | 11    | 12    | 71    | 46    | +25   | 80    | 
| 7th   |       | Luton         |       | 46    | 23    | 9     | 14    | 76    | 54    | +22   | 78    | 
| 8th   |       | Rushden       |       | 46    | 23    | 6     | 17    | 68    | 54    | +14   | 75    | 
| 9th   |       | Histon        |       | 46    | 20    | 14    | 12    | 74    | 57    | +17   | 74    | 
| 10th  |       | Torquay       |       | 46    | 20    | 13    | 13    | 60    | 52    | +8    | 73    | 
| 11th  |       | Stevenage     |       | 46    | 20    | 11    | 15    | 65    | 54    | +11   | 71    | 
| 12th  |       | Basingstoke   |       | 46    | 19    | 10    | 17    | 70    | 70    | 0     | 67    | 
| 13th  |       | Mansfield     |       | 46    | 18    | 10    | 18    | 60    | 62    | -2    | 64    | 
| 14th  |       | Salisbury     |       | 46    | 17    | 10    | 19    | 58    | 56    | +2    | 61    | 
| 15th  |       | Ebbsfleet     |       | 46    | 15    | 15    | 16    | 54    | 59    | -5    | 60    | 
| 16th  |       | Burton        |       | 46    | 16    | 10    | 20    | 53    | 59    | -6    | 58    | 
| 17th  |       | Crawley       |       | 46    | 15    | 12    | 19    | 63    | 70    | -7    | 57    | 
| 18th  |       | Weymouth      |       | 46    | 14    | 12    | 20    | 53    | 60    | -7    | 54    | 
| 19th  |       | Wrexham       |       | 46    | 14    | 10    | 22    | 44    | 59    | -15   | 52    | 
| 20th  |       | AFC Wimbledon |       | 46    | 12    | 12    | 22    | 56    | 72    | -16   | 48    | 
| 21st  | R     | Altrincham    |       | 46    | 13    | 7     | 26    | 41    | 70    | -29   | 46    | 
| 22nd  | R     | Droylsden     |       | 46    | 12    | 7     | 27    | 32    | 72    | -40   | 43    | 
| 23rd  | R     | Northwich     |       | 46    | 7     | 5     | 34    | 34    | 84    | -50   | 26    | 
| 24th  | R     | Harrogate     |       | 46    | 6     | 6     | 34    | 28    | 88    | -60   | 24    | 
|       |       |               |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

Cup Competitions:

FA CUP: 1st Round

CONFERENCE CUP: 2nd Round.

Top Scorer: Simon Church: 29(+3) 15 Goals

Player of the year: Aymen Tahar

The following season we’d gotten to grips more with the division and only missed out on the promotion playoffs on goal difference.

Once again it had been a summer of upheaval at the club with 13 players joining the club and 23 players leaving. We also signed our first ever player for a transfer fee, shelling out £3,000 for a defender.

We looked to have the skill to be able to compete with the best in the division but we lacked the consistency of many of our promotion rivals.

In the cups I was disappointed to go out in the FA Cup first round, but we did get beaten by Derby , fresh from relegation from the Championship and a 1-0 scoreline was a good result for a club our size.

In the FA Trophy it was a different story as I was left fuming by a home defeat in the second round to fellow Conference National side Salisbury .

Finally in the Conference Cup we exited to Dagenham and Redbridge at the 3rd round stage.

Still the season had shown the fans and the rest of the league that this side was going places and I was determined to make sure our top 6 finish was no fluke.

Basingstoke Town 2010/2011

League Finish: CONFERENCE PREMIER: 6th

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   | C     | Grays         |       | 46    | 26    | 8     | 12    | 66    | 40    | +26   | 86    | 
| 2nd   |       | Wrexham       |       | 46    | 27    | 5     | 14    | 79    | 54    | +25   | 86    | 
| 3rd   | P     | Luton         |       | 46    | 25    | 10    | 11    | 66    | 39    | +27   | 85    | 
| 4th   |       | Salisbury     |       | 46    | 25    | 8     | 13    | 79    | 52    | +27   | 83    | 
| 5th   |       | Torquay       |       | 46    | 22    | 13    | 11    | 73    | 45    | +28   | 79    | 
| 6th   |       | Basingstoke   |       | 46    | 24    | 7     | 15    | 63    | 55    | +8    | 79    | 
| 7th   |       | Kidderminster |       | 46    | 22    | 9     | 15    | 59    | 47    | +12   | 75    | 
| 8th   |       | Weymouth      |       | 46    | 22    | 7     | 17    | 64    | 56    | +8    | 73    | 
| 9th   |       | Mansfield     |       | 46    | 22    | 6     | 18    | 70    | 62    | +8    | 72    | 
| 10th  |       | Rushden       |       | 46    | 22    | 5     | 19    | 69    | 57    | +12   | 71    | 
| 11th  |       | Crawley       |       | 46    | 21    | 8     | 17    | 65    | 62    | +3    | 71    | 
| 12th  |       | Stevenage     |       | 46    | 18    | 13    | 15    | 51    | 49    | +2    | 67    | 
| 13th  |       | Ebbsfleet     |       | 46    | 17    | 14    | 15    | 55    | 55    | 0     | 65    | 
| 14th  |       | Cambridge     |       | 46    | 19    | 6     | 21    | 73    | 83    | -10   | 63    | 
| 15th  |       | Histon        |       | 46    | 16    | 13    | 17    | 48    | 49    | -1    | 61    | 
| 16th  |       | Southport     |       | 46    | 16    | 13    | 17    | 50    | 52    | -2    | 61    | 
| 17th  |       | Burton        |       | 46    | 17    | 9     | 20    | 63    | 65    | -2    | 60    | 
| 18th  |       | Forest Green  |       | 46    | 17    | 9     | 20    | 55    | 63    | -8    | 60    | 
| 19th  |       | Kettering     |       | 46    | 14    | 11    | 21    | 57    | 76    | -19   | 53    | 
| 20th  |       | Dag & Red     |       | 46    | 14    | 8     | 24    | 52    | 58    | -6    | 50    | 
| 21st  | R     | AFC Wimbledon |       | 46    | 12    | 12    | 22    | 43    | 58    | -15   | 48    | 
| 22nd  | R     | Bromley       |       | 46    | 10    | 11    | 25    | 57    | 86    | -29   | 41    | 
| 23rd  | R     | Woking        |       | 46    | 7     | 15    | 24    | 51    | 82    | -31   | 36    | 
| 24th  | R     | Tamworth      |       | 46    | 3     | 8     | 35    | 27    | 90    | -63   | 17    | 
|       |       |               |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

Cup Competitions:

CONFERENCE CUP: 3rd Round.

Top Scorer: Viktor Illugason: 43 : 21 Goals

Player of the year: Eric Foley

And now my thoughts turned to the season that had ended just a few hours ago. Our season had started badly, with back to back defeats and myself pondering my future. I’d told David over the summer that I was targeting promotion and he gave me extra funds and a wage budget to match my ambition. But two games into the season and bottom wasn’t exactly title winning form and we needed to perform and fast.

We would then go 11 matches unbeaten and have another 8 match undefeated streak before the seasons end. Unfortunately whilst we were good, Kidderminster were immense and stormed to the title on 98 points, leaving us 2nd on 89.

But despite our dominance over those below us, we couldn’t get past Forest Green , a team we failed to beat in the league campaign and a run, which continued into the playoffs.

The cups didn’t seem to matter as I sat there reflecting on the league campaign. We had gone out again in the FA Cup first round at home to Burton Albion another big disappointment for me.

Worse still, the FA Trophy saw us eliminated by lowly AFC Hornchurch .

The Conference Cup also saw us lose on penalties at the fourth round to fellow Conference National side Ebbsfleet.

Whether I’d be back to lead the side next season would be decided at a board meeting tomorrow.

Basingstoke Town 2011/2012

League Finish: CONFERENCE PREMIER: 2nd

| Pos   | Inf   | Team            |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | C     | Kidderminster   |       | 46    | 29    | 11    | 6     | 82    | 40    | +42   | 98    | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Basingstoke     |       | 46    | 25    | 14    | 7     | 82    | 40    | +42   | 89    | 
| 3rd   |       | Stevenage       |       | 46    | 23    | 14    | 9     | 54    | 36    | +18   | 83    | 
| 4th   |       | Torquay         |       | 46    | 22    | 12    | 12    | 67    | 43    | +24   | 78    | 
| 5th   | P     | Forest Green    |       | 46    | 22    | 10    | 14    | 77    | 56    | +21   | 76    | 
| 6th   |       | Wrexham         |       | 46    | 20    | 15    | 11    | 66    | 44    | +22   | 75    | 
| 7th   |       | Weymouth        |       | 46    | 21    | 12    | 13    | 55    | 44    | +11   | 75    | 
| 8th   |       | Ebbsfleet       |       | 46    | 20    | 13    | 13    | 57    | 51    | +6    | 73    | 
| 9th   |       | Dag & Red       |       | 46    | 19    | 13    | 14    | 48    | 34    | +14   | 70    | 
| 10th  |       | Histon          |       | 46    | 19    | 13    | 14    | 56    | 52    | +4    | 70    | 
| 11th  |       | Crawley         |       | 46    | 19    | 12    | 15    | 52    | 48    | +4    | 69    | 
| 12th  |       | Macclesfield    |       | 46    | 18    | 13    | 15    | 56    | 49    | +7    | 67    | 
| 13th  |       | Burton          |       | 46    | 19    | 10    | 17    | 60    | 54    | +6    | 67    | 
| 14th  |       | Kettering       |       | 46    | 17    | 15    | 14    | 53    | 47    | +6    | 66    | 
| 15th  |       | Rushden         |       | 46    | 16    | 13    | 17    | 49    | 50    | -1    | 61    | 
| 16th  |       | Cambridge       |       | 46    | 15    | 13    | 18    | 46    | 56    | -10   | 58    | 
| 17th  |       | Salisbury       |       | 46    | 14    | 13    | 19    | 43    | 53    | -10   | 55    | 
| 18th  |       | Mansfield       |       | 46    | 12    | 18    | 16    | 54    | 52    | +2    | 54    | 
| 19th  |       | Chester         |       | 46    | 12    | 16    | 18    | 43    | 52    | -9    | 52    | 
| 20th  |       | Eastbourne Boro |       | 46    | 14    | 8     | 24    | 45    | 69    | -24   | 50    | 
| 21st  | R     | Southport       |       | 46    | 7     | 15    | 24    | 37    | 71    | -34   | 36    | 
| 22nd  | R     | Bradford PA     |       | 46    | 8     | 6     | 32    | 37    | 75    | -38   | 30    | 
| 23rd  | R     | Dorchester      |       | 46    | 7     | 8     | 31    | 49    | 95    | -46   | 29    | 
| 24th  | R     | Burscough       |       | 46    | 6     | 9     | 31    | 32    | 89    | -57   | 27    | 
|       |       |                 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

Cup Competitions:

FA TROPHY: 1st Round

CONFERENCE CUP: 4th Round.

Top Scorer: Abdulai Baggie 40(+5) 19

Player of the year: Eric Foley

May 2012

I arrived at the club and parked my car in the space marked for the manager and headed into the reception area. Alex the club receptionist was busy on the phone but smiled at me as I walked past her and into my office.

I was due to meet David Hunt at five but turned up around two so I could prepare a plan for next season to him. Whether I was in charge or not I hoped that such a document would at least prove useful and I wrote out an analysis of the squad and staff as I saw them.

Staff

Assistant Manager:

Mark Beck

Since Mark joined me at the club in the summer of 2009 he’s been a loyal servant to the club. Never afraid to venture an opinion Mark was also a good coach, particularly with the younger players and someone who deserves a place at a club of this level.

Coaches:

Sean Gregan 1st Team Coach

Sean joined us at the start of last season in his first job since retiring as a player. Sean is an expert at the mental and tactical side of the game and had formed a good bond with the squad.

Andy Sullivan, Colin Fry, Dan Mason

The rest of my coaching team had all proved valuable and each had contributed to a good environment for both senior and youth teams.

Physio

Andy Reeves

A man who had helped nurse a team that has to play around 55 games a season to 3 good Conference finishes. A top physio and a top bloke too.

Scouts

Ross Dunn, Tom Dunbar and Tim Brannan

Ross has been with the club since my first season and Tom and Tim joined us a year later. No doubt whatsoever that this club would not be where it is now without their input. Although the club hasn’t been able to afford scouting trips abroad they have done a great job scouting England for talent.

I took a break to make myself a tea before I typed out my thoughts on the playing squad….

Faramir! cheers for kind words fella :) and 10-3 It's been a good partnership between me and Reading. Whilst parent/feeder clubs are banned by the English FA it's good to have a 'partnership' with a bigger side in the local area and the lads I've got on loan from them have been top notch.

Nothing refreshes you like a cup of tea. But it was back to work as I wrote my thoughts on those players with us, excluding those about to return to their clubs after loan spells.

Playing Staff

Goalkeepers

Carl Ikme: 26y/o Season 2011/12 Appearences - 41 - Avg Rating 6.78

Carl had been signed on a free after being released by Swindon. The uncapped Nigerian was solid between the sticks for us last year and will take some shifting.

Alex McCarthy 22y/o - 7 – 6.74

Alex had been number one in our first season in the Conference Premier but had proved inconsistent as many young keepers are. The former Reading Academy lad could one day be a number one but is still a bit raw

Tony Warner 38y/o - 0 – N/A

Tony had been a rock after Alex’s struggles two seasons ago. The former Premier League goal keeper had never complained even after being relegated to 3rd choice last season. With his contract up and at age 38 I don’t see Tony having a future at the club.

Defenders

Steven Hawe 30y/o D/LC - 4 – 7.05

Steven had signed in January on a free and provided decent cover but at 30 and with limited skill he seems to have a limited future here.

Tom Hately 22y/o D/RC M/R - 38(+5) – 7 Assists – 6.96

Son of former England striker Mark, Tom had been with the club for two seasons now, mainly playing at full back but had recently began to fill in at centre back. A player with plenty of ability and tons of potential, he’s someone we can have confidence in for years to come.

Ben Gordon 21y/o DL - 45 – 1 goal – 5 Assists – 7.05

“Flash” As he’s known to the lads has been a loyal servant for two seasons now, clocking up over 40 starts in both of them. A nifty left back Ben should be another fixture in the side for many years to come.

Ryan McGivern 22y/o D/LC – 43 – 1 Assists – 6.85

Ryan had clocked up 115 appearences for us in three seasons and also earned several caps for Northern Ireland’s U21 side. A real rock at the back and a competent stopgap left back Ryan is vital to this club.

Chris Ramsey 22y/o DC – 45 – 1 Goal – 2 Assists – 6.94

Chris partnered Ryan not only here but for Northern Ireland U21’s and our current vice captain was another rock at the back. Quick and strong the centre back led the side well whenever called upon.

Midfielders

Michail Antonio 22y/o –MR – 36(+5) – 3 Goals – 10 Assists – 7.06

A real livewire right midfielder who when fit is one of the best players at the club. Although on high wages he is worth every penny.

Stephen Stirling 22y/o MC - 28(+9) – 4 Goals – 3 Assists – 6.93

The young Scot had started the season on the bench but forced his way into the side after others lost form. A composed a reliable central midfielder, he’s another one that should stay at the club for many years.

Scott Davies 24y/o - AM/RC – 27(+15) 3 Goals – 2 Assists – 6.85

The club captain had seen his form stutter last season and he had lost his place in the starting eleven to Stephen Stirling. Even so his versatility was invaluable and he has a good impact on the training ground and in the changing room.

Eric Foley 22y/o AM/LC – 51(+1) 4 Goals – 5 Assists – 7.05

Eric is the heart of this team. Twice he’s been named player of the year by the fans and he runs the centre of the park for us. A real workhorse he is Mr Basingstoke.

Jason Morrison 28y/o AM/RLC – 41(+2) – 7 Goals – 8 Assists – 7.04

A tricky winger, Jason has represented Jamaica several times whilst at the club and despite being injury prone is a great asset to the club.

Aymen Tahar 22y/o – AML – 6(+17) – 2 Goals – 3 Assists – 6.94

Aymen had been named player of the year three years ago but now found himself on the fringes thanks to the superb form of Jason Morrison. If he’s prepared to settle for a place on the bench he’s still a good squad player.

Richie Partridge 31y/o AM/RL - 5(+18) - 3 Assists – 6.74

Richie had joined us from local side Maidenhead last summer and provided usefull cover on both flanks. Still the Irishman had made it clear in the final weeks of the season that he wanted a regular starting spot and with his contract up I can’t see him hanging around.

Strikers

Fabio Borini 21y/o FC – 9(+8) 3 Goals – 3 Assists – 6.66

The young Italian had been a real coup for the club when he signed last summer, but had fallen behind several loan players last season. Still a player with immense talent, we should try and hang onto him.

Paul McManus 29y/o ST – 6(+6) – 4 Goals – 6.74

The clubs record signing, £14,000 from Weston Super-Mare In January. Paul had initially started well with 4 goals in his first 4 starts. But a couple of bad starts and injuries had reduced his appearances as the season ended.

Overall the club has a very strong spine capable of winning promotion and challenging for the league title. Whilst not being deep in numbers we have plenty of players who could play multiple positions, which negated the need for too many squad players. In my own opinion a small happy group is better then a large but discontented one.

Before I saved and printed the document I wanted to pick the brains of my number two Mark Beck, beyond that I wanted to let him know how much I’d appreciated his work and friendship in the last couple of years, no matter what happened later today.

“Marky it’s Dan, hows it going old man? “

“Aye not bad gaffer, still a bit gutted after last night but looking forward to recharging the batteries before next season. How about you, you spoken to the big man yet?”

Well I prayed a bit last night, but if you’re referring to Mr Hunt then no I’m meeting him in an hour or so, Marky I just wondered if I could send you a copy of a document I’m prepping for the directors and anyone relevant at the club ahead of the summer. I’ve just emailed it over.

“Ah there it is, let’s have a look here……….. squad list eh? Lets see here….. Christ Dan you trying to sell a house here! Bit bland but yeah I agree with most of what’s written really, not a lot on the younger guys but then I suppose they aren’t the priority quite yet.

“My thinking exactly Mark, I just wanted the top brass to have an idea of where we are at, and let them know how highly I rate the squad…. I just also wanted to say thanks for the work you’ve put in not just this year but since you’ve been with the club, it’s been a pleasure mate it really has”

“Thanks Dan… I’d say the same and I appreciate the words but it’s a bit premature we’ve got a lot of work to do yet”

Mark’s words made me smile and made me that bit more determined to crack it next season.

” Thanks Marky, look get yourself on holiday and enjoy time with the missus we’ll have a big season ahead of us “

“Aye! and you too chief, speak soon, tada”

With Mark’s words still fresh in my mind I hit print on the document but decided to leave it on my desk, hoping I’d never have to send it to the chairman.

“The Chairman will see you now Mr Wimbush”

Alex’s voice awoke me from my thoughts.

Thanks very much Miss Stockley

My head, clear just moments before, suddenly became awash with thoughts as I walked down the hall. Should I be bold? Go in and demand more time to develop the club, should I be apologetic and almost beg to continue? Should I offer my resignation?

I walked into the room with only chairman David Hunt present .

I wouldn’t have much time to consider my thoughts as the chairman asked me to sit down before speaking.

“Daniel thanks for coming in today, I know how disappointed you and the team were with what happened yesterday. There’s really only one queston the board and I have for you.

Do you want to be here next season?

The question took me by surprise… I hadn’t expected the ball to be in my court quite so quickly.

“Mr Chairman, I want to take this side into the football league as quickly as possible. If you have the confidence in me to give it another shot, then I’m sure I can reward you and the rest of the board”

Hunt’s face went from pensive, to quizzical to a wide grin.

“ All I wanted to hear Daniel, all I wanted to hear. Yourself and the rest of your coaching team have our full support for next season. Now go on and get yourself away from it all, then we’ll start planning next year’s promotion party.

The response caused us both to laugh and the mood in the room felt like two friends who’d fallen out over a girl patching up their differences, I almost wanted to give David a hug but thought better of it.

That evening I left the Camrose as determined to prove myself as I had been on my first day four years ago. Next season, nothing short of promotion would do.

Holidays for most people involve sitting on the beach, cocktail in hand enjoying a good book. Well I certainly had three of those but instead of a book I had my Blackberry in hand exchanging messages between David, my assistant Mark Beck and various players and staff, many of whom were keen to know how early they needed to come back next season, if at all.

I wanted to let the players know as soon as possible who was in my plans for next season. Members of my squad had been at least professional and I owed them at least prompt honest answers.

Tony Warner was the first man I called, it was never easy to let a player know you wouldn’t be renewing his contract but in Tony’s case it could well signal the end of his career. Luckily Tony took the news well, I thanked him for his services but told him that I couldn’t justify keeping three keepers on the books and that with Carl owning the number one jersey it would be unfair to take any starts away from young Alex McCarthy .

Next up was Richie Partridge. a winger who had featured mostly from the bench last season. In truth I wouldn’t mind keeping the Irishman but as I wrote in my notes he’d made it clear to me he wanted first team football. Our conversation was pleasant but I could tell he felt slightly let down that I hadn’t promised him what he wanted.

My conversation with defender Steven Hawe went along a similar path but the hardest cuts were of a few fringe players who had played with us for a year or two. I cut from the reserve squad Keith Worrall, Jimmy Derbyshire and Ryan Davies, all of whom had made next to no appearances for us over the last 12 months, but had still been good professionals. I wished them all the best before making my final calls of the day, to my three scouts.

Budget constraints again meant I couldn’t afford to send them outside of England but I asked them to keep a look out for any good youngsters who had just received phone calls like I’d just had to give.

With business done for the day, It was time to get to an important meeting, with a hotel bar and long drink or two.

May 2012 Summary

Players In

None

Players Out

Tony Warner – Free -Total B’Stoke Apps: 43

Richie Partridge – Free - 5(+18) – 3 Assists

Steven Hawe – Free – 4

Jimmy Derbyshire – Free – 42 – 3 Goals – 3 Assists

Keith Worrall – Free – 5(+12) – 1 Assist

Ryan Davies – Free - 0

June 2009

I felt a sense of optimism as I drove back from the airport to my home in Reading to spend a few quiet days before reporting back to work. I didn’t have a girlfriend yet alone a wife or kids so life at home was fairly straightforward. Even so I enjoyed spending a few days at my parents place, chatting football with Dad and letting Mum fill me in on all the latest happening with our extended family and so on. As hard as it was to switch off from football, I knew that next season would be the hardest I’d faced so far in terms of pressure and so the more R & R I could get it now the better.

By the time I headed back to work in the middle of June, I felt refreshed and ready to face the new season.

When I got to the ground I headed straight to the office to start my pre season planning. With the players not back until July, the first order of the day was to confirm our pre season fixture campaign.

After a few favours were called in and some offers made we had a pretty decent series of games lined up. Our first game would be away to Scottish Second Division side Albion Rovers before a trip to Conference South side Hampton and Richmond. We would then host Championship side Barnsley before hosting our annual friendly with a Reading XI at the Camrose, We would round off with another home game against championship opposition, this time against Birmingham City .

The fixtures were certainly harder then in previous seasons, I decision I’d made deliberately to toughen up the lads. On the other hand exerting extra energy pre season could end up backfiring, I would only find out in May which way it had gone.

Even though the squad wouldn’t report for a few weeks I was still looking to being people in. I gave each of our scouts a call to ask they could recommend any new additions to the side. One name came up in every conversation, Jeff Goulding. Goulding was a 28 year old striker and had been second top scorer in the Conference National last season with 23 goals for relegated Dorchester. Relegation meant that Dorchester couldn’t afford to keep the striker and to get his wage off the books my scouts told me he was now available on a free.

With only two senior strikers on the books, getting another goal scorer at the club was a priority and a player with Jeff’s talents would be attracting plenty of interest so making contact as soon as possible was essential. I immediately called Dorchester to ask if I could offer terms and with no objections raised I called Jeff directly to talk about a move and invite him down to the club for a day.

“Jeff, Dan Wimbush here, hope you’re having a good summer. I’d just like to see if you’d be interested in coming down to Basingstoke for a day or two. We’re looking for a new striker and you’re someone I’d love to have on board.”

“Hello Dan, thanks very much for the offer. Obviously I’ll have to get in touch with my agent but I’d like to see what your plans are and what you can offer me so sure I’ll come down, just let my agent know when you want me.”

“Good to hear Jeff, I’ll get my assistant to get in touch with your agent and I look forward to meeting you in the next couple of weeks, take it easy.”

The next few days saw similar offers made to young right winger Ian Baxter, and left sided midfielders Colin Nurse and Conor Henderson all of whom were free agents after being released by their clubs. Throughout my time at ‘Stoke our primary source of players had been young players released from bigger clubs and it had so far paid rich dividends. Still, I hoped the addition of a few seasoned pros like Jeff would help give us that extra edge this year to really challenge for the championship.

Our Stadium hadn’t changed much since I’d arrived but the annual painting and maintenance was well under way when grounds man Terry Jenks came to see me about the size of the playing area. I’d always favoured a large pitch to give our wingers room to roam but at times last year I felt that there was too much space out there and we’d been penetrated easily by teams packing the midfield. With that in mind I asked Terry to prepare a narrow surface to hopefully cut down the chances of us being overran in the centre.

Whilst I was enjoying the pre season so far there was still plenty of work that needed to be done before the players reported again. We had the clubs AGM coming up at the beginning of the month where my budget would be set for the season, so I needed to have a look at last years accounts to help give me an idea of what I should ask for and what the club could afford. Chairman David Hunt had always been honest and straight forward with regards to the budget but even so, he’d hired me to help managed the club and not just the playing staff and so staying on top of the financial situation was important to me. But such concerns would have to wait for next week, for today all that was left was a drive home and a nice hot cup of tea.

July 2012

"Gentlemen thanks for your patience, now that the formalities are completed we can move on to the managers report for the last 12 months and his proposals for next season. Daniel?”

The room fell silent as I gathered my papers and moved to the front of the room. The powerpoint flicked into life as I cleared my throat.

“Ladies and Gentlemen this is the fourth time I’ve stood before you and for the fourth time in a row I’m pleased to say we’ve achieved a record high finish. Last season saw us finish second in the Conference Premier Division. However despite such a strong showing across the season we were unable to achieve promotion through the playoffs after a narrow defeat to Forest Green.

In the cup competitions we had mixed fortunes but again didn’t quite achieve what I had hoped.

At this time last season I had said I felt promotion was a realistic aim and I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to complete my targets.

In the transfer market we received £2,000 in transfer fees whilst spending £21,000 which was £9,000 under budget. I’m also pleased to say that we also remained within the wage budget set last summer.

Moving onto the upcoming season, I once again feel that promotion is a realistic aim. I’ve retained the core of a successful team and have several transfer targets who are available without transfer fees, who I feel can make us a better side. I’m also pleased to say that my coaching and backroom team have all agreed to stay on for another season.

With your backing, some good performances on the pitch and a little luck, I believe we can meet again in 12 months time, looking forward to a season of league football at the Camrose. Thank you“

A small round of applause filled the room as I sat down with a pat on the back from David.

Thank you Dan, and I think I speak for the whole board when I say that you have our full backing and that we have every confidence that you can go one better this year and get us promoted. With that in mind we propose to give you a transfer budget of £31,000 and a wage budget of £7,267 per week, which is approximately £2000 a week higher then our current spend. These figures can of course be negotiated over the season based on our financial situation and I’d encourage you to chat to myself our our financial director Phil at any time.”

The rest of the AGM was informal as the club ratified various aspects of the budget and discussed various reports from directors and club officials, the less glamorous side of a football club it must be said.

With the meeting out of the way and my budget set it was back to my preferred area of expertise, the players.

I met with my coaching team the next day to outline our pre season training regiments and clarify roles for the season. Mark Beck my assistant would take charge of the reserve team whilst Sean Gregan would handle the Under 18 squad for the season.

The players all reported back to the club on the 1st of July and all underwent medicals with the club physio and doctors, thankfully all came back with a clean bill of health and after they were completed we had an informal meeting to discuss the end of last season and our aims for the new season. Much to my relief there appeared to be little 'hangover' from the playoff disappointment and they all seemed keen to push on. However the only true test of whether we were ready to compete wouldn't come for a few weeks yet.

With July upon us we were now able to officially sign players again and I had four players I’d already arranged to join us for our first few days or pre season training. Jeff Goulding , Colin Nurse, Conor Henderson and Ian Baxter were joined by Andy Fry and Clayton Fortune . Fry was a 19 year old midfielder on a free transfer after being released by Chelsea and Fortune, a defender, was a 29 year old also on a free after being released by Darlington.

All of the new recruits seemed to be fitting in well with our fitness work and I was pleased to be able to be able to sign each of them on one year deals with the exception of Jeff, who would be on a two year contract.

Getting new players in was vital if we were to keep a fit and healthy squad all season and I also knew that we needed some quality injected into the team if we were to really compete at the top. Our best source of quality over the course of my time at the club had been via loan signings and once again I would be using the loan market to bring in 3 or 4 players for the season. In this area I was fortunate to have developed strong ties with Reading Football Club and so phoned their manager Edgar Davids to see if he would allow us to take a couple of his players for the season.

” Daniel good to hear from you, shame about your playoffs but the lads who played for you last year said you still had a good season and enjoyed the experience.

“Thanks Edgar, yeah it was disappointing to say the least but I’m hoping to go one better this year, which is really why I called. I wonder if you’d be open to the possibility to us taking a couple of your lads on loan again this year. If we could I’d love to take Nicholas Bignall, Adbulai Baggie and Julian Kelly for the year?”

"To be honest those guys could do with some first team games so if you can promise me they’ll feature regularly I’m sure we can do business, providing they want to come of course. Daniel I wondered if you might also be interested in another one of our lads I’ve just signed from Holland. His name is Wesley Koopman and he can play anywhere across the midfield. I’m looking to get him some exposure to first team football in England and given the outstanding work you’ve done with our young players in the last couple of years I can think of no better place to send him for a year.”

“Thanks Edgar, Appreciate you letting me have the three lads, and as for Wesley,I’d obviously have to have a chat with him and if you could send me a few videos that’d be great. Other then that I’m sure if you think he’s good enough then he’ll be a great fit here. “

”Of course Daniel, I’ll send them all over and confirm the arrangements for the other lads, good luck for the season”

”You too Edgar, tada.”

I got off the phone with a wide grin on my face. Providing that the three lads wanted to come back to the Camrose I really felt that our squad could win the title.

Julian Kelly was a 22 year old who could play at either right or left back and had already played 45 times for the club over the past 2 seasons. Nicholas Bignall was a big fast striker who had scored fourteen times in the league for us last year. Adbulai Baggie was our top scorer last year and could play either on the right wing or up front. All three would likely be first team regularts and if Wesley was as good as Edgar suggested, then we would have an even stronger squad for the season ahead.

“C’mon lads keep up! Scotty, too many pies this summer? “

I watched first team coach Sean Gregan put the lads through their paces as I sat on the touchline of our training pitch in the afternoon sun. We’d managed to move from the tiny college pitches that we’d occupied when I joined the club, and now had our own small facility just outside the town. Whilst it wasn’t a patch on the type of facilities at Man United, Chelsea or Reading, it was nice to have a space of our own.

As I watched the lads train, I played particular attention to our newer players to see how they were fitting in. In the last week I’d completed the signings of the four lads from Reading and with 25 players on the books, 23 of them outfield, I thought we had good cover heading into what would be a long season, fighting on four fronts.

We’d also had the league fixtures confirmed and we’d begin with a trip to Torquay before hosting Ebbsfleet two tough fixtures, but games that I’d hope we could get four points from.

All in all pre season was going about as well as expected and confidence was high amongst both the coaching staff and the players with our first pre season game just two days away.

Friday July 20th 2012

Albion Rovers 2-3 Basingstoke Town Friendly Match -Att: 155

Our trip to Albion had been long on Thursday afternoon but after a decent night in the hotel there was a sense of real excitement in the changing room as we prepared to begin the 2012/2013 season against Scottish Second Division side Albion Rovers. Thankfully I had a full squad to choose from, a key factor given the relative fitness levels of the players.

I don’t try and read much into the first couple of friendly matches beyond the fitness levels of the lads and didn’t hesitate to make 10 changes in the game, but it was still nice to come out with the victory. Jason Morrison scored our opener before Scott Davies snagged a brace, to make our long trip home that bit more relaxing.

There was one other Scottish team that had my attention that day, as Scottish First Division side Dunfermline made a bid of £8,000 for our wantaway midfielder Ollie Hotchkiss . With the player having made clear that he wanted a move out of the club and a glut of midfielders on the books I had little hesitation in accepting the offer and notified our chairman and the player of my decision.

Tuesday 24th July 2012

Hampton and Richmond 1-3 Basingstoke Town Friendly Match – Att: 112

Another day and another pleasing victory as we saw off lower league opposition Hampton and Richmond at the Beveree Stadium. Once again I changed almost the entire starting eleven at half time and it was the second half team that took the plaudits, scoring three times in the final 15 minutes to seal the win. Wesley Koopman scored twice and Paul McManus scored the other to help us claim a second straight win.

As July drew to a close we still had two pre season games to play and the opposition would be significantly more challenging then our opening two games.

I was happy with the squad depth we had but was always looking to improve the squad or make the right deals. One deal that did go through was the sale of Ollie Hotchkiss to Dunfermline for £8,000. The deal represented good money for the club, which I would look to reinvest if at all possible.

Thursday 26th July 2012

Basingstoke 1-3 Barnsley Friendly Match – Att: 1,076

Our first pre season game of the season at the Camrose saw Championship side Barnsley come to town and a decent sized crowd turned up to mark the occasion. Sadly we couldn’t reward them with victory but we did still put in a credible performance, scoring a good goal through Fabio Borini .

With fitness levels getting towards regular season levels this would be the last game that I operated mass substitutions and I would also try and put out as close to my preferred first team as much as possible.

Before the season got under way I needed to assign squad numbers for the season. As much as I was a traditionalist who liked to see my strikers wear 9 and 10 and so on, I generally left it up to the players to decide on their own numbers. So they were handed out according to player preference with those who were with the club the longest having priority.

We also had a new member of our squad ahead of the Reading game , as I managed to negotiate a permanent deal for a former loan signing. Joseph Oastler, who was released by QPR agreed to sign a one year deal with us. Joe could play down the middle or on the right of both the defence and the midfield and I envisioned a utility role for him for the season to come.

Despite the transfer activity, this was the part of the season I didn’t enjoy…. The waiting. With the players and staff all raring to go it was almost frustrating to know we wouldn’t have competitive football for three weeks. It seemed that everyone at the club was desperate to erase the memories of last year’s playoffs and the sooner we started the season the better.

Monday July 30th 2012

Basingstoke 2-4 Reading – Friendly Match – Att: 4,430

In the absence of league games, it was at least nice to have a bumper crowd to fill the Camrose for our annual friendly against Reading. Given the nature of the opposition none of my loan signings were available but I still fielded a strong team, who competed admirably throughout the game. Fabio Borini continued his fine pre season form with a brace and there were also good performances from Ikeme and Antonio.

After the game, I took the time to sit down with Mark Beck in the dressing roomto get his thoughts on how the team was shaping up.

” Dan we’re looking pretty solid right throughout the team but I can’t help but worry we’re a little light up top and maybe down the right if ‘tonio gets a knock. The system we play asks a lot of the wide lads and so maybe we could get someone in the short term.”

“What about Baxter, how’d you feel he’s settling in?”

”Not so bad, but the guys a bit lightweight, I mean we’ve also got Scotty Davies who can fill in on the right but he’s not an out an out winger.”

“Hmmm fair point, I’ll ask Tom if he’s seen any good wingers about see if we can get a loan in. What about Fortune at the back? I’m reluctant to break up Ramsey and McGivern but he’s certainly a calming influence at the back”

”My thoughts exactly gaffer, long term I think Chris and Ryan are your pair but with such a young team Fortune’s been a good influence on them. It might be worth a punt on him alongside Ryan or Chris, maybe even switch McGivern to left back for a spell”

I pondered my assistant’s words as Sean Gregan and physio Andy Reeves walked into the room, having seemingly heard our discussion and what followed was an experience versus youth debate, which didn’t end until we’d left the pub several hours later.

Needless to say it left more questions then answers, but I was paid to make the tough decisions and two weeks from now I’d have to make them.

Regardless of the lingering questions, with July over, the season was within touching distance with just one pre season game remaining and all things considered I felt we were in decent shape with just a couple of weeks to go.

July 2009 Summary

Transfers In

Ian Baxter – Free Transfer

Jeff Goulding – Free Transfer – Dorchester

Connor Henderson – Free Transfer

Colin Nurse – Free Transfer

Andy Fry – Free Transfer

Joesph Oastler – Free Transfer

Loan Signings In

Nicholas Bignall – Reading (Season Long Loan)

Adbulai Baggie – Reading (Season Long Loan)

Julian Kelly – Reading (Season Long Loan)

Wesley Koopman – Reading (Season Long Loan)

Transfers Out

Ollie Hotchkiss – Dunfermline - £8000

Basingstoke (2009-2012)-70 games – 4 goals – 7 Assists

thank you Gav :) pleased to have you along for the ride

August 2012

If you’re the manager of a Premiership or Championship manager the media can be a real thorn in your side. Thankfully at Basingstoke we didn’t attract enough interest to generate thorns, just the occasional by-line in cyberspace. The only national newspaper that gave us any time was The Non League Paper and they’d written us a fairly favourable preview.

Basingstoke Town

Last Season 2nd Blue Square Premier

Key summer signings Jeff Goulding – Dorchester, Free Trasnfer

Dan Wimbush’s side were a cut above all but Stevenage last season but couldn’t get the job done in the playoffs, losing to eventual winners Forest Green in the semi finals. With no major departures and another season of experience behind a talented young group, Basingstoke should again find themselves in the promotion shake up. However a lack of big signings over the summer might mean they come up short of winning the league.

TNLP Prediction 5th

Closer to home, with the season just around the corner, It was also time to sit down with the sports reporter Alan Davies from the local paper The Basingstoke Gazette for our first major interview of the season. I’d always got on well with Alan, who’d always been fair with his assessments of the team, not that he was overly generous as I’d found out more then once over the last four years. Still as long as he printed what accurate I was happy to give him as much time as possible.

Dan thanks for giving us your time, how have you rated your pre season preparations.

I think we’ve had a good one to be honest. The lads have really worked hard and we’ve competed well in friendly matches against much bigger sides. Also we’ve managed to so far avoid any injurites so any manager has to be happy with that.

There’s been a few ins and out over the summer, what can you tell us about the players you’ve brought into the squad?

Well I’ve added six lads on permenant deals and brought in four lads on loan which gives us terrific depth here. The four loan lads are all great prospects from Reading, three of which have already played at the Camrose and Wesley Koopman is a midfielder who came very highly rated from Edgar Davids. I’ve also signed Jeff Goulding from Dorchester who has shown he’s capable of scoring goals at this level and four or five other lads who will probably start on the bench or in the reserves but who should all play their part this year.

Last season you came up just short in the playoffs, how do you feel you can do this season?

I honestly feel that we can go all the way if we can stay injury free. I don’t think there’s any major weaknesses in the team and we certainly showed last season that we are amongst the best in the league. Sadly last season we couldn’t top a fantastic Stevenage side and then Forest topped us in the playoffs but I’m confident that we’ll be in the Football League this time next season.

Dan thank’s for joining us and good luck!

My pleasure and c’mon the Stoke.

Whlst I was pleased with squad depth I felt up front we had perhaps one too many options for a club of our size. Concious that I needed to keep the wage bill as low as possible, I summoned striker Paul McManus into my office. Paul was a striker that I’d signed from Weston-super-Mare back in January for a club record £12,000 and has scored four times in 12 games for us last year. However with Gouldings arrival, Borini’s fine form and the addition of the loan lads I couldn’t afford to have five strikers on the books.

”Paul thanks for coming here, there’s no easy way to say this so I’m just going to be honest. I think that it’s going to be difficult for you to force your way into the first team squad this year and so I’m making you available for transfer. I’m sure someone with your talents is going to attract interest but if you decide to stay then I know you’ll give 110% and if you’re on form for the reserves of course you’ll be considered.”

The striker seemed a little taken aback, hardly surprising given all that I’d just rattled off.

“Well ummm, cheers for being honest with me boss, I’ve got to say I’m disappointed given that I’ve only been here half a season, I can’t help but feel I was a little misled when I signed. But I suppose you’re the boss and there’s little I can do other then keep training hard until someone comes in for me. Thanks at least for being honest.”

”I’m sorry Paul, you gave an important contribution last season and one I haven’t forgotten and this was a tough call but one I’ve had to make for the good of the football club. Obviously I’ll keep you fully up to date of any enquiries and if you have any preferences or any questions my door is always open’

“Cheers boss, if it’s all the same to you I’m going to give my agent a ring and then head back to training”

”Of course, if you want the rest of the aftrnoon off then feel free, otherwise see you later at training”

“Thanks boss, tada”

Saturday August 3rd 2012

Basingstoke 0-4 Birmingham City – Friendly Match – Att: 3,612

Birmingham City represented our toughest test of the pre season, fitting for our final game. Once again a bumper crowd packed into the Camrose, something that would at least keep the Chairman happy!

The quality of the opposition once again shone through on the pitch as we slipped to a 4-0 defeat. The one positive was that we managed a 0-0 result in the second half.

Worryingly though I’d had to withdraw centre back Clayton Fortune early in the first half with a knock to his ankle that I hoped wasn’t too serious.

The next day my fears were realised when Reevesy confirmed that Fortune would be out for at least two weeks, ruling him out of our opening league games.

In the days following the Birmingham game we also received two bids of £1000 for Paul McManus one from Welsh side TNS and the other from fellow BSP outfit Crawley . Whilst the bids were far lower then what we’d paid for Paul, there was little point holding out for more whilst we paid his wages and so I accepted both bids.

I also had to make a tough decision about the captaincy. The previous team of Scott Davies and Chris Ramsey had done a good job but I felt we lacked leadership at key moments last year. As hard as it was to do I informed Scott that he’d now be vice captain this year, and right back Tom Hateley would get the armband for the season. Whilst Tom was delighted, Scott was disappointed but vowed to give his all for the side and said he was proud to be vice captain.

Just as the lads left the room I got a call from McManus’s agent who informed me that the player had agreed to sign for TNS and had passed a medical. I was pleased for the lad and also slightly relieved that he wouldn’t be staying in the division.

With that I headed to the team coach ready to set off for Torquay and with it, the new season.

Saturday August 10th 2012

Torquay v Basingstoke –Plainmoor - Blue Square Premier

It had been a long five months but finally we were back in competitive action with our opening game of the Blue Square Premier season against Torquay.

With the players off the coach and assembled in the dressing room I read out the team. It contained only two changes from the side that drew with Forest Green in May. Ben Gordon and Stephen Stirling were out in place of Wesley Koopman and Tom Hateley.

Tactics wise, we’d line up in a traditional four four two that had been a mainstay of my time in charge.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Kelly, (RB) Hateley <C>, (CB) Ramsey, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Morrisson, (RM) Antonio, (CM) Koopman, (CM) Foley, (ST) Bignall, (ST) Baggie

Substitutes: Goulding, Henderson, Davies, Stirling, Oastler

We started the game the better of the two sides, with Bignall firing over from a tight angle after ten minutes. But it was after 21 minutes that we had our first real chance to score, when Baggie was put through from Foley, only to see Gulls keeper Mark Weir tip his shot over the bar for a corner.

After their rocky start Torquay began to get into the game as the half wore on, sending several shots just over or wide from long range, but thankfully nothing to worry Ikeme between the sticks.

Then five minutes before the break, skipper Tom Hateley went down after a heavy challenge from Myles Weston and went down clutching his ankle. Immediately things didn’t look good as Tom tried to slowly get to his feet. After Reevsey had seen to him on the pitch he motioned over to make a sub saying that Tom couldn’t carry on. Joe Oastler came on at right back in his place.

It was a real blow to the side to lose their captain and with the vice captain on the bench, Eric Foley took the armband.

We managed to get into the break the better side but still at 0-0. I told the lads to keep going for it at the goal would come, but just ten minutes into the second half Torquay striker Paul Payne, hammered one into the top corner from 20 yards to put us 1-0 down.

We huffed and puffed to try and get back into the game with both Foley and Bignall missing half chances. Towards the end I threw on Scott Davies and new signing Goulding, but neither could break down the Torquay back line and we’d been beaten 1-0.

Final Score: Torquay 1-0 Basingstoke

Att: 2,577

The Atmosphere on the bus home could be summed up in a four lettered expletive beginning with S. Sitting next to Mark I couldn’t get the game out of my head, it seemed that last season was repeating itself, with good performances being squandered and us walking away empty handed.

My one comfort on the trip back was the news that Tom Hateley’s ankle had no serious damage and that he could even be fit to for our midweek game.

That was the best thing about this division, we didn’t have long to make amends for defeat, with a game in just three days against Ebbsfleet at the Camrose.

Tuesday August 14th 2012

Basingstoke v Ebbsfleet United – Camrose - Blue Square Premier

With Hately not 100% I brought in Ben Gordon to play left back and switched Julian Kelly to the right side of the back four. Whilst being no pushovers, they had beaten us 2-0 here last season, Ebbsfleet were generally considered to be a midtable side and so 3 points was the minimum I expected.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Kelly, (CB) Ramsey, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Morrison, (RM) Antonio, (CM) Koopman, (CM) Foley<C>, (ST) Bignall, (ST) Baggie

Substitutes: Goulding, Henderson, Davies, Stirling, Oastler

Once again we started positively and soon found ourselves in front, with Nicholas Bignall scoring our first goal of the season with a tidy finish from ten yards.

But instead of pushing on the lads seemed to sit back and let Ebbsfleet get a foot in the game. Soon enough we were punished when Bryan Moore hammered one in from the edge of the box to equalise.

I was fuming, and made sure the lads could hear me as I stood at the edge of the technical area.

Fortunately I got a response, with Foley and Morrison both going close before the half time whistle brought a halt to the proceedings.

I felt we could do with a player more comfortable inside from wide positions so I brought Scott Davies on for Antinio at the break and sent the lads out there knowing that I expected a win.

Davies didn’t take long to make an impact as five minutes after the restart he crossed to the near post, only for the United ‘keeper to misjudge the flight and punch it into his own net for an own goal . The stadium erupted as did the bench, whilst it wasn’t the most glamourous was to take the lead I’d take it.

This time we didn’t rest on our lead and kept pushing forward for a third. With 15 minutes left I introduced Stirling and Goulding and the two players combined five minutes later only for Goulding to head over the bar from just outside the six yard box. Just before the end of the game, Nicholas Bignall had a goal ruled out for offside but it wouldn’t matter to the result as we picked up all three points.

Final Score: Basingstoke 2-1 Ebbsfleet

Att: 1,135

The games kept coming thick and fast and we would travel down to Eastbourne on Saturday for our third league game of the season and hoping to pick up our first away points of the season.

In the meantime the atmosphere around the training ground was positive but those in the boardroom were a little disappointed with the attendance at the Ebbsfleet game. After calling me into his office, chairman David Hunt informed me that he’d decided to make the next home game against Morcambe a ‘fan day’ where we would offer cut price admission to fans who brought a friend along. The hope, he said, was to increase admission long term and I concurred that such a policy was a wise one.

As I returned to my office I also had a voicemail from the secretary of the Jamaican Football Association informing me that Jason Morrison had been selected for their International squad for their match against the Caymen Islands on the 22nd of August, meaning he would miss the game with Morcambe. Disappointingly it would mean one less ‘star’ to entertain the fans on ‘fanday’.

Saturday August 18thh 2012

Eastbourne Boro v Basingstoke – Priory Lane - Blue Square Premier

Hateley was fit enough to come back into the starting lineup, whilst the only other change was bringing Borini onto the bench in place of Stirling.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Kelly, (RB) Hateley <C>, (CB) Ramsey, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Morrison, (RM) Antonio, (CM) Koopman, (CM) Foley, (ST) Bignall, (ST) Baggie

Substitutes: Goulding, Henderson, Davies, Borini, Oastler

This time we started the game in slow fashion, giving away several corners and free kicks in dangerous positions, thankfully none that resulted in a goal. As the hald wore on, we began to cause trouble for the Boro defence, with Koopman flashing just wide and Bignall forcing a couple of decent saves from the Eastbourne keeper. Then, just as it looked like we in control of the game, Boro scored through Ryan Campbell.

There was nothing I could do but slam my fist into the side of the dugout in frustration.

Half time came and went and I was pleased to see is put Eastbourne under real pressure. Yet despite grinding out some half decent chances we failed to make any of them count and slumped to our second defeat of the season.

Final Score: Eastbourne Boro 1-0 Basingstoke

Att: - 918

Three games and just one win, hardly the start we’d hoped for and I called the players in on Sunday to talk about where things went wrong against Eastbourne and to get some extra preparation in ahead of the Morcambe game. Both the players and the coaching team voiced their opinions openly and whilst we may have disagreed on some points, I did feel that the meeting had helped to turn some of the disappointment from yesterday into optimism for the next couple of games.

Tuesday August 21st 2012

Basingstoke v Morcambe – The Camrose - Blue Square Premier

I made a number of changes to the team ahead of the ‘fan day’ clash with Morcambe. With Jason Morrisson on international duty Connor Henderson would make his first start for the club on the left side of the midfield. Meanwhile Antonio was looking tired after three games in seven days and so was rested in favour of vice captain Scott Davies. Meanwhile I decided to give Fabio Borini a chance to impress up front in place of loanee Nicholas Bignall.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Kelly, (RB) Hateley <C>, (CB) Ramsey, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Henderson, (RM) Davies, (CM) Koopman, (CM) Foley, (ST) Borini, (ST) Baggie

Substitutes: Goulding, Antonio, Tahar, Bignall, Oastler

The game looked to be heading our way in the first half, with Scott Davies hitting his first of the season after good work from Baggie down the right hand side. One of Davies key attributes was his ability to school goals and I was delighted to see him producing from the wide position.

Unfortunately that would be about as good as our day got as Morcambe dominated the rest of the proceedings. John Stewart was brought down in the box by Ramsey and stepped up to score a penalty five minutes before the break to equalise. Shortly after the break Gary Thompson slotted home to give the advantage to the away side and then twenty minutes from the end, Stewart was again on hand to finish from the edge of the area to make it three one to the former football league side.

Final Score: Basingstoke 1-3 Morcambe

Att: - 1136

The defeat was particularly tough to take and would hardly convince more fans to come watch us. Chris Ramsey had aparticularly bad games his place would be under threat ahead of the next game.

At least the chairman was sticking by me, despite a poor start. David Hunt had always backed me and that was one reason why the club had come so far in such a short space of time. In my own opinion too few managers get the time they need to really build and develop a squad, yet David had been a model of patience and understanding.

If only the press was as understanding. ”Sorry ‘Stoke Lose Again” was the headline of the local rag and whilst such headlines stung they were at least justified.

Ahead of Friday’s final training session I sat down with senior coaches Mark Beck and Sean Gregan to ask what they made of the first four games. Beck was the first to voice an opinion.

”Gaffer I can’t put my finger on it to be honest. The lads have trained well, they’ve understood what they have to do on the pitch and yet it’s just not clicked. I can’t say the defence have covered themselves in glory but to be honest we haven’t scored more then 1 goal in each game and that’s a big worry for me.

Gregan followed.

” Have to agree skipper, for some reason we haven’t got that cutting edge in the final third, until we start being clinical in and around the box we’re going to keep struggling”

The words rang true but annoyed me, if only because the creative and attacking talent that had gone onto the pitch each game should have had more then enough to pick up at least 7 points from 12 and yet here we were with just 3.

” Cheers boys, look don’t put too much on the players today, we’ve got a long trip to Macclesfield Saturday morning so let them go about 1 if you can, I’ll have a chat with Dunny to see if he’s spotted anyone that might be able to give us a boost”

Dunny, or Russ Dunn as he is more formally known was one of our scouting team and was on a mission across England to discover us some talent. Unable to reach him, I left him a voicemail to pick his brains. In the meantime I turned my look back to the players we had available for Saturday at Macclesfield . Morrisson would be back and available, though how long he’d be able to play after his travels was up for question, he’d only just joined us for training today so 90 minutes might prove difficult. Antonio would be fit, though Davies performance on Tuesday meant he would probably stay in the team. Other then that there was little outside of the 16 that I’d picked for most games this year that I felt would turn things around and besides our season was 46 games long, not 4 and I had faith that in time the results would come.

Saturday August 25th 2012

Macclesfield v Basingstoke – Moss Rose - Blue Square Premier

Despite worries about his fitness levels I put Morrisson back into the side in place of Henderson who dropped out of the 16. Davies indeed kept his place on the right whilst I decided to give a start to Clayton Fortune in place of Ramsey at centre back. I had decided to give Fortune a start in the hope his experience might steady the ship and similarly I decided to drop Kelly for Gordon at left back as Kelly looked tired and jaded after a poor start to the campaign.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Hateley <C>, (CB) Fortune, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Henderson, (RM) Davies, (CM) Koopman, (CM) Foley, (ST) Borini, (ST) Baggie

Substitutes: Goulding, Antonio, Tahar, Bignall, Kelly

The game, well you could take the report from our first two away defeats and it would pretty much sum up the performance. Another one nil defeat sent us 21st in the table and once again I’d felt we deserved at least a point. We managed 10 efforts on goal although few clear cut chances and once again we didn’t fire in the key final third. Macclesfield scored the only goal of the game after 26 minutes from Ashley Grimes who nodded home a corner kick to send the home fans wild.

We did have our chances and dominated large sections of the game but I never really felt that we were going to score. Perhaps it was the last four games jading me but there was just a negative feeling in the air.

I couldn’t hide my frustrations during the game and despite a triple substitution we just couldn’t breach the home defence. At the final whistle I went over to applaud the fifty or so travelling fans and honestly didn’t know if I was saying goodbye.

Final Score: Macclesfield 1-0 Basingstoke

Att: - 1452

Somewhat fortunately Macclesfield was a four hour drive from Basingstoke so I had plenty of time to cool off and consider my future more rationally. Even so deep down I couldn’t get rid of the disappointing and demoralising feeling that haunted me after the worst start since I’d joined the club. Five games played and just three points to show for it. Certainly we’d not had an easy start but I’d have hoped for 8 points at least by now.

All in all it had been a very disappointing month for the football club and I was facing a situation where if our form didn’t turn around we could kiss the championship goodbye before the end of September.

AUGUST 2012 REVIEW

League Record P5 W1 D0 L4 GS 3 GC 7

League Position – 21/24 - 3 Points

Leading Goalscorers 12/13

Nicholas Bignall (1)

Scott Davies (1)

Transfers In

None

Transfers Out

Paul McManus – TNS - £1,000

Basingstoke (2012) 12 Games – 4 goals

Thanks Shanghai, It's been a good ride so far, if not a bad start to the season for 'Stoke. I only live down the road in Reading so have a soft spot for them myself. Anyway glad to have you along for the ride :)

September 2012

I hoped that the turning of the month would bring about a turnaround in our fortunes, a noble thought and one I’d have to sell to the board at our monthly meeting on Monday. Somewhat thankfully I’d at least have a home game with which to hopefully ease some nerves first.

Deadline day was at midnight and my assistant Mark Beck had managed to turn up a new player, defender Colin Coates was a versatile defender playing for Irish side Distillery. After a quick flurry of phone calls early on Friday, I’d managed to get him signed up in time to make his debut against Hereford.

Saturday September 1st 2012

Basingstoke v Hereford– The Camrose- Blue Square Premier

Coates came straight into the side in place of Ramsey, Baggie was moved onto the right flank and so Bignall came in up front. Morrisson came in on the left and there were also starts for midfielder Stephen Stirling and a game for Julian Kelly at left back.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Kelly, (RB) Hateley <C>, (CB) Coates, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Morrisson, (RM) Baggie, (CM) Stirling, (CM) Foley, (ST) Borini, (ST) Bignall

Substitutes: Fortune, Antonio, Koopman, Davies, Goulding

For seven minutes this game was ours. We looked on top, confident and had already carved out a good chance for Foley. But then in a moment of sheer stupidity Jason Morrisson was given a straight red card for a lunge on the Hereford right back. I couldn’t hide my anger and could have cut right through Jason with my stare.

From that moment on we were always going to be in trouble but then on thirty five minutes it got even worse. Skipper Tom Hately elbowed Steve Flynn right in front of the linesman and was swiftly given his marching orders. If Morrisson had been reckless then Hately had been outright stupid and I let him know as much as he trudged off.

Down to nine men, the lads left on the pitch gave it their all but we were powerless to resist long into the second half, and two goals sealed our fate and a fifth defeat of the season.

The dressing room after the game was not a safe place for delicate ears…..

Final Score: Basingstoke 0-2 Hereford

Att: - 807

Hateley and Morrisson were swiftly in my office the next morning. Both were told in no uncertain terms that a repeat would result in their swift departures from the club and were fined two weeks wages, punishments they accepted. I reminded them that as captain and a senior international that they were role models for the rest of the squad and that we needed every bit of help we could get to break us out of this rut.

The monthly board meeting was something I could do without but nevertheless I’d committed to attending each month to deliver a report.

I stood in the same place as I had at the AGM and delivered my assessment of our opening month.

“ Gentlemen it goes without saying that our opening month could have been better. Never the less there have been some encouraging signs and I honestly don’t feel we’ve been outclassed in any of our games so far this season.

In terms of personel, with the closing of the transfer window our main squad is set and I’m happy with the players who are with us now. In trading terms we spent £3,000 on Craig Coates and made £1,000 on Paul McManus while remaining within our wage budget yet again.

Gents I have little else to say other then please be patient and I’m sure I can reward you with some better results

The board seemed content enough though did put on record their concern over the start to the season. Such comments didn’t exactly please me but I did understand their feelings.

We now had 9 days until our next game, plenty of time for the players and myself to get ourselves In the best possible frame of mind for a big home game against Woking.

Tuesday 11th September 2012

Basingstoke v Woking– The Camrose- Blue Square Premier

A couple of enforced changes as Hateley and Morrisson missed out through suspension. Henderson and Gordon took their places in the side, meanwhile Scott Davies was forced out with a tight hamstring that we hoped wouldn’t keep him out for too long.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Kelly (CB) Coates, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Henderson, (RM) Baggie, (CM) Stirling, (CM) Foley <C>, (ST) Borini, (ST) Bignall

Substitutes: Fortune, Antonio, Koopman, Fry, Goulding

It was just amazing how much a win could do to lift the mood of a group of people. The bench, the players on the pitch and every fan in the stadium seemed to be 10 times happier as they left the ground after they’d seen us confidently beat Woking 2-0. The moment Nicholas Bignall’s shot hit the back of the net after 29 minutes the place came alive. Suddenly the doom and gloom of the past few weeks was replaced by excitement, a feeling that only grew after Fabio Borini slotted home our second just before the break. Even though that was the only scoring in the game, the performance had been a joy.

Final Score: Basingstoke 2-0 Woking

Att: - 754

A win does wonderful things for morale about the place. The players seemed happier in training, ticket sales for the next home game were up and the chairman hadn’t called me once since we’d left the pub late on Tuesday after celebrating the win over Woking.

Despite our win we were still a lowly 21st in the league and some way off the top and with some way to go before I would consider us up to speed.

There was some bad news for me to digest though. Firstly the FA came back to us and informed me that both Tom Hateley and Jason Morrisson would be suspended for an additional two games after their sending’s off for violent conduct in the Hereford game.

Then physio Andy Reeves informed me that midfielder Scott Davies would be out for a further 3 weeks after further problems with his hamstrings. Losing the Irishman was a blow as his versatility and leadership had proved useful off the bench and we needed all the options we could to help ensure our poor form didn’t return.

Saturday 15th September 2012

(3rd) Alfreton v Basingstoke (21st) – The Town Ground- Blue Square Premier

Despite the win in midweek I made a couple of changes to the visit to high flying Alfreton who had lost just once all season. Alex McCarthy was given a chance to stake a claim between the sticks with ikeme looking jaded and Koopman returned to the midfield. There was also a chance for Tahar to play on the left with Henderson tired after his midweek exploits.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) McCarthy, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Kelly (CB) Coates, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Tahar, (RM) Baggie, (CM) Koopman, (CM) Foley <C>, (ST) Borini, (ST) Bignall

Substitutes: Fortune, Antonio, Henderson, Fry, Goulding

The game was one full of what ifs as both sides had numerous chances to claim victory. We had the first chance to seal 3 points after Bignall gave us an 11th minute lead after a fine assist from Baggie down the right. I knew that getting to half time with a lead was crucial but despite asking the lads to play deeper, our defences were breached just before the interval in the most unfortunate of circumstances when Foley put a header into our own goal from a corner kick to level the scores.

I tried to freshen things up in the second half but even the introduction of all of our substitutes failed to provide the killer instinct we needed to score a second.

The result was a one all draw and truth be told getting our first away point of the season was enough to dispel any thoughts of 2 points missed.

We’d now picked up four points from our last two games and for the first time I felt as if we were moving forward rather then backwards.

Final Score: Alfreton 1-1 Basingstoke

Att: - 1724

Little to report in midweek, the players trained Monday and Tuesday ahead of our midweek trip to Stevenage and I made the usual calls to scouts to ask for their latest reports and recommendations.

One thing that did happen on Monday was our first or our two fans forums for the season. These forums gave our supporters the chance to ask questions directly to myself and the chairman about the club, an important part of keeping a sense of community about the club.

Since I’d joined the club as manager these occasions had usually been pleasant affairs, but I did wonder what the reaction of the fans would be after a rather indifferent start.

“my names, Alex I’ve been a season ticket holder for six years now. This one’s for the manager, Daniel, we’ve had a great couple of years in the Conference and I was gutted after losing to Forest last year. Now I only felt we needed two or three more quality experienced players to push us over the edge and win the division. But over the summer we only seemed to buy young squad players and now I think the league may have worked us out a bit. Why wasn’t more money spent?”

”Thanks Alex. It’s true that we haven’t spent a lot of money this summer, but I feel that we have added some experience with the likes of Jeff Goulding joining us and of course the lads who played last year have had another 12 months under their belts. If the right player comes along it doesn’t matter to me what age they are, if they’ll improve the squad and they are the right price I’ll sign them. The fact is that I’m very happy with the guys we’ve got here but I wanted a bit more depth and so signed players for that purpose. But rest assured, we’re always looking. “

”Daniel, why did you take the captaincy off Scott Davies? He’s led the side to two great finishes and your new skipper Tom Hateley has hardly covered himself in glory”

”No question that Scott led the team very well over the last couple of years and that’s why he’s vice captain this year. But there were games last year that Scotty didn’t feature in and I wanted a captain who would play 40 plus games a year not 30 and I felt coming into this year that Tom would be that man. Unfortunately he’s made a big mistake against Hereford, which he’s apologised for and right now he can’t lead us on the pitch but I’m confident that long term he can be a real leader for us. “

“Dan, much has been made on the internet forums about interest from bigger clubs and whilst I’m hoping you can get us up there into the league, would you stay here next year if we failed? “

”I’ve always said I’m very happy here and the challenge of getting this club into the league is something that motivates me each and every day. The honest truth is that I’m 100% confident that my lads can get us up and will get us up this season. So in my eyes I’m here next season leading us into League Two and I’m not thinking beyond that“

The forum continued for another half hour, with questions ranging from ground improvements to the academy and whether we would become a professional club whilst in the Blue Square Premier.

Wednesday 19th September 2012

(16th) Stevenage v Basingstoke (21st) – Broadhill Way- Blue Square Premier

Alex McCarthy didn’t react well to the decision to drop him after just one game in the team but Ikeme had been in fine form this season despite our poor start and deserved to play. Henderson was fit to return on the left flank in an otherwise unchanged side.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Kelly (CB) Coates, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Henderson, (RM) Baggie, (CM) Koopman, (CM) Foley <C>, (ST) Borini, (ST) Bignall

Substitutes: Fortune, Antonio, Tahar, Fry, Goulding

I think it’s safe to say I preferred September to August as we managed to pull of a narrow one nil win to extend our unbeaten run to three games. Wesley Koopman’s third goal of the season was all we would need to return home with three points. But the performance throughout the rest of the game was far from what I expected from the lads as we let Stevenage put us under far too much pressure then was comfortable. Truth be told the win wasn’t deserved but considering our luck in August I was more then happy to take it.

Final Score: Stevenage 0-1 Basingstoke

Att: - 1856

Two games and three wins and the players were beginning to finally find a rhythm. Next up was a visit from Wrexham, and a 3rd win in 4 games would at least make our league position after 10 games somewhat respectable.

Saturday 22nd September 2012

(17th) Basingstoke v Wrexham (12th)– The Camrose - Blue Square Premier

The one major change to the lineup saw Jason Morrisson return from suspension to line up on the left hand side of the defence. Skipper Tom Hateley who had also been suspended had to make do with a place on the bench due to the fine form of Kelly and Gordon.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Kelly (CB) Coates, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Morrisson, (RM) Baggie, (CM) Koopman, (CM) Foley <C>, (ST) Borini, (ST) Bignall

Substitutes: Hateley, Antonio, Tahar, Fry, Goulding

Thirteen minutes into this one and things looked promising for us with Fabio Borini giving us the lead from an Eric Foley through ball. But on 23 one moment of madness would drastically change our fortunes. First keeper Carl Ikeme saw red for handling the ball outside the box. With no sub keeper on the bench it was left to Aymen Tahar to get between the sticks at the expense of goal scorer Borini who was substituted.

We were only able to hold out for ten minutes before Wrexham equalised and whilst we went into the break level, we were soon overwhelmed and four one down. We did manage a late consolation from Antonio but that was the only comfort from a day in which we could and should have walked away with three points.

Final Score: Basingstoke 2-4 Wrexham

Att: - 1096

I couldn’t be too upset with Ikeme, he’d hardly put a foot wrong since he’d been at the club and it was just one of those things that happens. After the game the press were questioning my decision not to have a reserve keeper on the bench but in my eyes there wasn’t much of a case to answer. In my five seasons at the club this was the first time I’d lost a keeper compare to an immeasurable contribution from the ‘5th outfield player’ we’d been using.

So after ten games here’s how the table stood.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team            |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   |       | Morecambe       |       | 10    | 7     | 1     | 2     | 15    | 9     | +6    | 22    | 
| 2nd   |       | Eastbourne Boro |       | 10    | 7     | 1     | 2     | 12    | 8     | +4    | 22    | 
| 3rd   |       | Rushden         |       | 10    | 6     | 3     | 1     | 15    | 8     | +7    | 21    | 
| 4th   |       | Woking          |       | 10    | 6     | 2     | 2     | 13    | 5     | +8    | 20    | 
| 5th   |       | Hereford        |       | 10    | 5     | 4     | 1     | 17    | 8     | +9    | 19    | 
| 6th   |       | Alfreton        |       | 10    | 5     | 3     | 2     | 16    | 7     | +9    | 18    | 
| 7th   |       | Kettering       |       | 10    | 5     | 3     | 2     | 10    | 5     | +5    | 18    | 
| 8th   |       | Macclesfield    |       | 10    | 5     | 3     | 2     | 11    | 7     | +4    | 18    | 
| 9th   |       | Mansfield       |       | 10    | 5     | 2     | 3     | 12    | 7     | +5    | 17    | 
| 10th  |       | Ebbsfleet       |       | 10    | 5     | 1     | 4     | 9     | 7     | +2    | 16    | 
| 11th  |       | Salisbury       |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 10    | 7     | +3    | 14    | 
| 12th  |       | Wrexham         |       | 9     | 4     | 2     | 3     | 13    | 13    | 0     | 14    | 
| 13th  |       | Torquay         |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 8     | 8     | 0     | 14    | 
| 14th  |       | Burton          |       | 9     | 3     | 4     | 2     | 10    | 7     | +3    | 13    | 
| 15th  |       | Dag & Red       |       | 10    | 3     | 3     | 4     | 6     | 12    | -6    | 12    | 
| 16th  |       | Cambridge       |       | 10    | 3     | 2     | 5     | 12    | 13    | -1    | 11    | 
| 17th  |       | Histon          |       | 10    | 3     | 2     | 5     | 12    | 17    | -5    | 11    | 
| 18th  |       | Stevenage       |       | 10    | 2     | 4     | 4     | 9     | 10    | -1    | 10    | 
| 19th  |       | Chester         |       | 10    | 2     | 4     | 4     | 6     | 10    | -4    | 10    | 
| 20th  |       | Basingstoke     |       | 10    | 3     | 1     | 6     | 9     | 14    | -5    | 10    | 
| 21st  |       | Weymouth        |       | 10    | 2     | 4     | 4     | 7     | 14    | -7    | 10    | 
| 22nd  |       | Farnborough     |       | 10    | 1     | 2     | 7     | 7     | 16    | -9    | 5     | 
| 23rd  |       | Crawley         |       | 10    | 1     | 1     | 8     | 5     | 17    | -12   | 4     | 
| 24th  |       | Harrogate       |       | 10    | 0     | 0     | 10    | 1     | 16    | -15   | 0     | 
|       |       |                 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

Plenty of work to be done if we were to gain promotion, but aside from freak circumstances against Wrexham, I felt we were beginning to click.

Tuesday 25th September 2012

(17th) Histon v Basingstoke (20th) The Camrose - Blue Square Premier

Once again I made two changes to the side, with Andy Fry giving Wes Koopman a rest in the centre of the midfielder and Alex McCarthy coming in goal for the suspended Ikeme.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) McCarthy, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Kelly (CB) Coates, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Morrisson, (RM) Baggie, (CM) Fry, (CM) Foley <C>, (ST) Borini, (ST) Bignall

Substitutes: Hateley, Antonio, Henderson, Koopman, Goulding

Histon were hardly high flying but they had still proved formidable at home so far this season and so I didn’t’ take them lightly. Fry was fitted in nicely alongside Foley but despite their good displays we lacked a killer ball into the strikers to create goal-scoring opportunities. When you don’t create chances you’re almost certainly going to put your own back four under pressure and sure enough we found ourselves 1-0 down just before half time when Danny Wright scored for Histon. The second half saw much of the same, though Antonio, on as a substitute at the break, was getting the ball into the box with a number of decent crosses. As we increased in more and more numbers we were left open at the back and with ten minutes to go Histon sealed the game with a fine counter attack that allowed Mark O Brien to score 2-0 and another defeat left us worryingly close to the drop zone.

Final Score: Histon 2-0 Basingstoke

Att: - 599

Thanks Gav, it's been a bit of a struggle so far for Basingstoke, but hopefully they'll pick it up soon. Thanks for reading :)

Back to square one, our recent three match unbeaten run seemed like a distant memory and we could ill afford to drop any further back of the leaders if we wanted to stand any chance of automatic promotion. What frustrated me the most was the amount of stupid points we’d dropped through either ill discipline or moments of madness.

Saturday 29th September 2012

(20th) Basingstoke v Crawley (23rd)– The Camrose - Blue Square Premier

Carl Ikeme returned in goal after serving his one game ban and Wesley Koopman was also available after being rested in midweek. There was also a very welcome return to the bench for vice captain Scott Davies who returned to the side after a few weeks out with hamstring trouble.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Kelly (CB) Coates, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Morrison, (RM) Baggie, (CM) Koopman (CM) Foley <C>, (ST) Borini, (ST) Bignall

Substitutes: Hateley, Antonio, Henderson, Davies, Goulding

The boys came out of the blocks in stunning fashion and within ten minutes we were one up through Julian Kelly Eleven minutes later you could sense the relief around the stadium as Morrison put us two ahead with a header at the far post.

Into the second half and we soon made it three through Koopman who converted from the penalty spot after Borini was brought down. Lewis Perkins managed to pull one back for our visitors Morrison restored our three goal lead twenty minutes from time.

Final Score: Basingstoke 4-1 Crawley

Att: - 992

Before the start of the season, a four one win over Crawley wouldn’t have been met with much feeling of accomplishment however given the present circumstances it was deservedly celebrated in the players lounge after the game. After the recent return to poor form and our generally rotten start to the campaign, every win was vital.

September had been a month of mixed fortunes for the club. At the start of the month we’d looked like returning to the Basingstoke of old, winning games home and away. Yet within a couple of weeks we’d slumped once more to needless defeats and had fallen back down the league. Even so we’d finished the month with a big win and it was my job to ensure we began a long run of good results, before it was too late.

SEPTEMBER 2012 REVIEW

League Record P7 W3 D1 L3 GS 10 GC 8

League Position – 18/24 - 13 Points

Leading Goalscorers 12/13

Nicholas Bignall (3)

Jason Morrisson (3)

Transfers In

Colin Coates – Distillerey -3k

Transfers Out

None

I hoped that October would yield better fortunes for the side, but then I’d said the same at the start of September.

Our lowly league position and meagre points tally didn’t make for good reading as I opened the Sunday papers but at least I had a positive match report staring me in the face. The victory over Crawley had certainly been deserved and the glut of goals gave both the fans and the players a much needed boost ahead of another busy month. Players at higher levels complain about the amount of football they have to play but they have it easy compared to players in the Conference. When you factor in that most of the guys here are semi pro then it makes the achievements of the lads even more astounding.

In the short term our league form was a more pressing issue and our next opponents Mansfield would be a sterner test then Crawley.

Tuesday 2nd October 2012

(17th) Mansfield v Basingstoke )(18th ) Field Mill - Blue Square Premier

I was pleased to be able to name an unchanged 16 for the first time this season, hoping that the lads would carry their good form from the Crawley game into a tough away game. Mansfield were only one place above us but as a former league side with a much higher budget then ourselves, they were in a somewhat false position in the league.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Kelly (CB) Coates, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Morrison, (RM) Baggie, (CM) Koopman (CM) Foley <C>, (ST) Borini, (ST) Bignall

Substitutes: Hateley, Antonio, Henderson, Davies, Goulding

Baggie and Morrison were both in fine form as the game got underway, providing opportunities for both strikers within the first twenty minutes or so. However, like so many away games before we squandered the advantage by conceding a soft goal on twenty five minutes to Lyndon Hunter and from that moment on we struggled to get back into the game.

That’s not to say we didn’t have chances to get level and Eric Foley was inches away with a long range drive a few minutes after the restart. Ten minutes from time the game was ended as a contest as Mansfield scored their second through Gavin Hurren and you could feel any confidence the players had sap away. Never the less we still managed to win a late penalty, only for Foley to blast wide with practically the last kick of the game.

Final Score: Mansfield 2-0 Basingstoke

Att: - 1802

Once the players had gathered on the coach for the trip back home I had one on one conversations with a few of the senior lads in the squad. Much like myself and the rest of the coaching team the lads were baffled at our awful start to the year, the tactics and personnel that had worked so well just a few months previously were involved in a relegation fight and with the window closed, that same group would be charged with getting us out of this mess. In such circumstances it was a comfort to have three consecutive home games with which to turn around our form and with 10 days between our next game against Weymouth and the one to follow we would have no better chance to turn the season around.

Saturday 6th October 2012

(21st) Basingstoke v Weymouth (19th) The Camrose - Blue Square Premier

Our unchanged lineup lasted a mere two games and I brought Scott Davies into the team as skipper in the centre of the midfield. To make room I moved Borini to the bench, placed Koopman on the right and moved Baggie up front. The crowd in the stadium looked sparse, lower then it had been for a long while, a disappointing statistic but one that I could understand given our poor form.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Kelly (CB) Coates, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Morrison, (RM) Koopman, (CM) Davies <C> (CM) Foley, (ST) Baggie, (ST) Bignall

Substitutes: Hateley, Antonio, Henderson, Stirling, Borini

At home we’d always been far more comfortable, even in defeat, so there was cause for optimism ahead of the game. We started in the best possible fashion, when Nicholas Bignall fired us into a sixth minute lead. The rest of the first half resembled most of the campaign, with possession and chances wasted and the match evenly poised heading into the break.

In the second half we peppered the Weymouth goal with shots, but once again we had little to show for it. That only changed in the final two minutes as goals from Baggie and then a second for Bignall sealed a vital second win in three games.

Final Score: Basingstoke 3-0 Weymouth

Att: - 547

This time there would be no celebrating, no getting carried away as I told the players they were due on the training ground Sunday morning for further training. In my eyes it hadn’t been bad performances, just a lack of consistency that had caused our indifferent start and the squad would no longer be able to celebrate wins in isolation. I was growing increasingly worried that the players had become complacent in just assuming the form would return. Truth be told perhaps I had been too quick to defend them this season and my own insistence that there was nothing wrong may have lured some players into thinking they were safe no matter what our results.

After Weymouth game we received communications from the Jamaican and Nigerian FA’s that Morrisson and Ikeme had been called up for their countries international matches on the 12th of October ruling them out of our game with Burton. It was nice to once again see our players rewarded for good displays, particularly for the uncapped Ikeme, but it was frustrating to lose them at a time when we were desperate to kick start our season.

As it would turn out we’d have ten days off before we faced Burton, as the game had to be postponed on the 12th due to a waterlogged pitch at the Camrose. Thankfully though we were able to quickly rearrange the fixture for three days later on the Tuesday.

Tuesday 16th October 2012

(20st) Basingstoke v Burton (14th) The Camrose - Blue Square Premier

Ikeme had returned from International duty, where he hadn’t made an appearence and could line up in goal. Therefore our only change was on the left wing as Morrisson was still away with Jamaica and was replaced in the starting lineup by Henderson. Tahar was the man to take the spare place on the subs bench.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Kelly (CB) Coates, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Henderson, (RM) Koopman, (CM) Davies <C> (CM) Foley, (ST) Baggie, (ST) Bignall

Substitutes: Hateley, Antonio, Tahar, Stirling, Borini

Despite our win last week, a midweek game on a wet night unsurprisingly drew another meagre crowd to the Camrose.

Most of the time you rue international matches when you manage at this level, but today it may have actually done us a favour as Connor Henderson stole the show. We took the lead after seven minutes when McGivern headed home from Henderson’s corner, you could feel our confidence swell from that moment on and this was more like the Basingstoke I’d expected pre season.

Fifteen minutes later Koopman crossed from the right to find Henderson at the far post for 2-0. From that point in the win was never in doubt as Burton struggled to deal with our dominant midfield, causing Ikeme few troubles.

Finally ten minutes from the end Henderson popped up again to finish well from just inside the area to complete our second consecutive 3-0 victory.

Final Score: Basingstoke 3-0 Burton

Att: - 604

True to my word the lads weren’t allowed to celebrate the victory after they left the pitch, even after our first back to back wins of the season. In just four days we had a third straight home game against Dagenham and anything less then a win was unacceptable.

Just found this. A good read. I'm currently managing Basingstoke also, I live in Andover. 2013/14 season and i'm also struggling in the Blue Square Prem. Michail Antonio also in my squad. Is that Scott Davies from Reading? He and Simon Church got me promoted from the South division but went onto play for higher standard teams after. Shame as they were god like.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gav :) and welcome Gash, sorry for the delay, work often gets in the way of my saves! It is the very same Scott Davies of Reading fame, I've been to Andover a few times to play cricket, nice area! hope you enjoy the tale

While life may have seemed rosier on the field after the Burton game, my office was a very different place. Over the course of the week both Tahar and Oastler demanded assurances that they would be given a run in the first team. Despite my desire to keep both happy I could guarantee nobody a place in the team and despite telling both that good performances in training would get them in the team, both asked to leave the club. Having depth is important but having a happy squad was even moreso, so reluctantly both requests were granted.

In other news we had two cup draws, being drawn to face local rivals Staines in the 4th qualifying round of the FA Cup and facing a trip to Torquay in the 3rd round of the conference cup.

Saturday 20th October 2012

(17th) Basingstoke v Dagenham + Redbridge (12th) The Camrose - Blue Square Premier

I made only one change to the side from the Burton game, with Morrisson returning after International duty and replacing Henderson in the starting lineup. Henderson had done nothing wrong and had in fact played brilliantly in the Burton game, but a lack of regular matches meant he wasn’t quite 100% and so needed the rest.

BASINGSTOKE:

(GK) Ikeme, (LB) Gordon, (RB) Kelly (CB) Coates, (CB) McGivern, (LM) Morrisson, (RM) Koopman, (CM) Davies <C> (CM) Foley, (ST) Baggie, (ST) Bignall

Substitutes: Hateley, Antonio, Henderson, Stirling, Borini

For the third straight game we managed to slam three goals past our visitors. The Camrose felt like a much different place then it had a month ago when Wrexham beat us 4-2 and come the final whistle it was our fans celebrating a deserved 3-1 victory.

Full back Julian Kelly got the scoring underway with a well placed shot after fifteen minutes. But we would have to wait until the second half to secure three points as first Scott Davies and then loanee Wes Koopman finished off the rout. The Daggers did manage a consolation five minutes from the end but nothing could spoil the atmosphere at the Camrose after a third straight win.

Final Score: Basingstoke 3-1 Dagenham and Redbridge

Att: - 690

Archived