*** Official W.I.P. Thread ***

Work In Progress.

This is where you can tell everyone on the forums about a tactic you are in the process of making. No matter if it's just choosing a formation to start with or in the final tests, this is where it's posted.

Cans

• You can ask for help or assistance.

• You can post screen shots so we can see progress.

• You can post tactics and have others tweak for you (However if you decide to release the tactic, some credit must be given to whoever helped you. Unless they don't want any.)

• You can recommend players for certain positions.

• You can post links to Guides or anything which may help another.

Cant's

• You can't spam, please stay on topic.

• You can't leave stones unturned (you have to tell us you are not continuing your tactic if you post one, as posters may try and help and it would be a waste of time if you aren't going to take it further)

• You can't post someone else's tactic without their knowledge and acceptance.

• You can't post a new W.I.P everyday. Keep it under moderation.

You Must.

• Explain any releases. Formation (4-4-2, 4-3-3 etc), Style (Attacking, Defending, Control etc), Who you tested with etc.

Lets unlock some cracking tactics :).

Great idea. I was thinking of creating a thread for myself for a long time but didn't have enough to go with / my tactic wasn't that consistent through the season. I'll be posting my idea soon. (Trying to create this year's Barca)

Ok, well for the first time on 09 I started to work on a tactic of my own. I am usually far more into the player management side of FM (signings, developing youngsters etc) and have no guilt what so ever about user tactics created by others. This time i decided to try out something myself.

It started, i guess, from a tactic on 08 which i enjoyed huge success, it was an asymetrical shape created by WWW2. Since then i have had an interest in asymetrical tactics.

For my 09 tactic, i wanted something:

Attacking in nature/mentality - i am more of a 4 v 3 than a 1 v 0 man

With 2 up top - all the "good" tactics ive used over the last few years are one up top, and with so many good strikers in the game, i wanna use more of them!

For good/elite players/teams - the game which i used to create the tactic was one where i have top players, so figure i may as well aim for something for top 3/4 clubs

I started off using a combination of "the believer" - a 433 from er, someone on here (which i heavily tweaked, details in the thread about it), Reo Huslters 4231 (which is usually my preffered shape) and tylerbode's 442 (i think i used the CM settings from this to start, so worth a mention). The shape i have so far is....

formation1.jpg

Some of the ideas/principles....

2 solid CB, nothing unusual here.

RB is designed to get forward and overlap the right sided CM (who was original positioned at RM, but i couldnt get the overlap to work so moved him in).

LB is actually more deffensive, despite his position starting higher up. He starts at WB to avoid leaving too much space infront of him as the left winger plays high up.

CM is designed to go box to box at the moment

FCd should drop back and pick up the ball, he also has a free role.

Team Instructions:

22636446.jpg

The playmaker is set to the right CM (specifically because i have beckham in that position and found he works great as a playmaker in a previous experiment).

Areas to work on/improve:

The 2 CB's. As relative newcomer to tactic creation, i need to figure out the best way to set up a centre half partnership (ie tight marking or not,).

At the moment, im using global mentality. I think this may have to change in order to get the overlapping right back working, as well as to help get the MC with the BARROW more effective.

The 2 FC - need to figure how best to set them up as a partnership, and whether to use a targetman.

The MC - Should he move to DMC? to work with the 2 CB to give a more solid base?

Any thoughts/input would be very much welcome!

Ok, well given the huge (cough) interest in my WIP....i thought i would update.

Have tweaked the FC a bit to try and work more as a partnership, using some of the info on these boards (credit to the dude who started the thread about setting up strike partnerships).

Also tweaked closing down based on TTF and dropped the "use playmaker" option. Reduced DL slightly (into line with mentality) and reduced width a touch.

Still cant decide if the MC should move to DMC, and work out how to tighten up the back 4.

Testing is limited so far. I created it using my one game i have in each FM where i "cheat" (give my fave team ££££ and rep). Playing as Hearts i won all my first 10 games comfortably, however my squad was massively better than those i was up against.

Next up i loaded up my save that had run to 2011. Resigned from my team on that (as i had built a great squad and around 433).

Took over as Man City boss, they had a great squad, but had finished 4th, 5th then 7th. Top 4 all had better squads.

First fixture was v sunderland away, dominated and won 3 v 0

next up was v Chelsea away, big test. dominated (20 shots v 8 shots, 58% possession v 42% possession) but lose 2 nil

next up was v Chelsea home (cup), another est.... dominated again... (25 shots v 5 shots, 56% possession v 44% possesion) but lose 1 nil!

next up was v Spurs away. Dominated (18 v 8 shots, 51% possessions). Win 3 v 1

then its v Liverpool away (uh oh)... dominated... (22 shots v 14, 54% possession) nil v nil draw

A theme is emerging methinks. But how to turn shots into goals??

Anyone want to contribute thoughts, or want the tactic to have a go with?

I'll try and get some more activity in this thread. I'm awful at tactics but have managed to create (what looks like) a good 4-4-2

Only been tested for a full season with Chelsea and that was a holiday game.

chels_league116.jpg.xs.jpg

chels_ltact105.jpg.xs.jpgv

But I have started playing as Bradford (League 2) and have continued the good results.

brad_fix579.jpg.xs.jpg

Ipswich (Friendly) are two divisions above, Carlisle (Cup) Next division up and Crystal palace (Cup) are two divisions above and had won every game.

One thing I have noticed away is we seem to dominate possession but not chances. Whereas at Home we seem to have similar amounts of possession to the away team but dominate chances. Anyone know what would need changing for this. It may not have affected Chelsea as much but i don't have top quality players now.

Any advice appreciated, as like I said i'm not very good with tactics. I can also provide some more screenies if required.

shape.jpg

Thats the formation I want to make work I have downloaded other people tactics that use this formation mainly Knaps. I want to try and creat my own now so though tI would give the shape I like most a go as it fits my players best.

teamm.jpg

These are the team instructions that I use and I change the player instructions slightly to try and get my players playing as a unit they are all on the same mentality except the CBs and GK who are right on the middle and the more attacking striker has 3 notches higher than the rest of the team.

Here are the individual instructions for the players.

defenseqrw.th.jpg

These are the fullbacks and the CBs, I like my fullbacks to get forward and attack to support the wingers and advance beyond them at times. I keep their passing short as hopefully once they win the ball they will look to give it to the playmaker who can then start an attack. Both my FBs have pretty good creativity so I let them have a bit of freedom as they are attacking this helps although I am not sure if it will have a negative affect on their defensive duties.

cmss.th.jpg

One CM has the more defensive duties and the other one with full creative freedom is the playmaker. I am not sure if I should drop the more defensive ones mentality or leave it as it is. The playmaker has full creative freedom due to him having 20 for passing and creativity he also has a good longshot but I dont want him shooting from everywhere so that stays on mixed. His forward runs are also on mixed as I want him to operate a bit deeper. Having his passing on direct hopefully means he will get the attack going towards goal. The DM also has good longshots which is a help.

winger.th.jpg

I like a good fast winger that can cross and dribble. I am thinking of changing one of them to cross mixed with the hope that he will cut inside a bit more as his pace and dribbling are his best stats. Both wingers are very creative so they get to express themselves alot with a reasonably high creative freedom. I have used wingers on free roles before but like the way they are performing at the moment.

stsq.th.jpg

My strikers settings are used so that the one with the free role will drift around the front line and try to create chances for the more targetman type of player. Due to his free role he often finds himself in the box and involved in play or on the end of a cross. The targetman type striker who has hold up ball ticked has low closing down and low creative freedom to try and keep him in the box and get on the end of the crosses and on the through balls from the playmaker.

This tactic has given me some good results in the friendlies and at the start of the season although I am 11 seasons in and have mostly regens so I am not sure if its the tactic or the great team I have lol. I have tried before to set up tactics and have failed even with top teams. Here are the results so far.

resultsu.th.jpg

I am confident that this tactic will work at home for my side but not sure about away. I am not sure if I should drop the mentality and play 2 more defensive minded CMs in the tough away games or if I should keep the targetman type striker and replace the creative striker with a DM to help the defense out. Any ideas?

This thread doesnt seem to have taken off very well yet but hopefully someone will read my post and give me some advice on how to improve and stuff. Thanks in advance anyone that bothers lol.

Areas to work on/improve:

The 2 CB's. As relative newcomer to tactic creation, i need to figure out the best way to set up a centre half partnership (ie tight marking or not,).

At the moment, im using global mentality. I think this may have to change in order to get the overlapping right back working, as well as to help get the MC with the BARROW more effective.

The 2 FC - need to figure how best to set them up as a partnership, and whether to use a targetman.

The MC - Should he move to DMC? to work with the 2 CB to give a more solid base?

Any thoughts/input would be very much welcome!

I thought i'd try helping out and giving my thoughts on these areas which you would like improved.

The Centre Back scenario: Normally i'm not a fan of tight marking. As soon as you come up against a decent Striker, he will 9/10 turn your defender inside out. However, against weaker opposition it could be highly effective. With poorer ST's, Tight marking should be good as it enables your defenders to get in about them before they can run at them. Good Strikers will only need a flick or a bit of flair to turn your man.

Marking: It's never been my strong point, I think you ought to look up some guides in order to get a decent opinion. However, I would man mark Wingers and leave the rest to Global mentality. Having a man mark on a MC would be silly as if your oppositions MC managed to lose his marker, your other MC will be marking the oppositions other MC.

MC: I would put barrows depending on opposition and who you are. There would be no need for Man Utd to have them against Peterborough. However with the Attacking abilities of Gerrard, A barrow would certainly be handy.

FC: Again not really my Forté. I'm always unsure how to line them up myself. I like my ST's to be involved as possible, so a Target man isn't always my favourite option. However if you like to have a foil, i'd suggest them. If you are going to use a TM, i'd line him up against the Physically weaker defender. For example: Heskey v Terry or Carvalho? I know who i'd put him against.

FCs - I'm assuming you'll have an FCd and an FCa.

FCd with high creativity, passing, technique, decisions, long shots and optionally dribbling, teamwork, workrate, stamina.

PPMs - Shoots from distance, shoots with power, tries killer balls often.

FCa with high Off the ball, finishing, composure, first touch, acceleration, pace and optionally heading and jumping. I'm not sure how anticipation and positioning help strikers but seeing Owen has both of them at 20, I'm assuming there's some advantage. But they're very rare and I don't really think they're that important.

PPMs - Works the channels, Places shots.

Now with a Berbatov - Vagner Love or Rooney - Vagner love combination.

FCd - (Berbs/Rooney) -

Closing down - all the way to the end (21?)

Mentality - A notch or two below the Mentality of your MCa.

Creative freedom - 15/16

Long shots - often

Throughballs - often.

Crossball - mixed.

Hold up ball ticked.

Run with ball, FW Runs - Mixed.

Zonal marking, Tight marking ticked off.

FCa -

Mentality - One or Two notches above the highest player on the pitch.

Settings all on mixed.

Now, what usually happens is the FCa usually makes a quick move into the space between the two defenders and the FCd tries to pick a throughball or pass at the exact time. If it's a pass, he turns the defender inside out and gets a shot in or with the FCd / Winger making a forward run, he plays a neat ball to him which results in a scoring chance.

Or, the FCd shoots from distance and the keeper usually spills it and the anticipation(?) or the positioning of this striker usually lets him finish the rebound.

RWB often to even the best of dribblers always lands me in trouble when playing a side with a good defence, so I wouldn't suggest it.

Also, when playing on the counter, a free role to the FCa, assign him as the Targetman and use target man with Run on to ball. Usually works very well.

Now for my tactic. I've taken the Brazilian tactic from the tactical central and insight - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=90566

My issue with this is, even with United, with such a low tempo, it's impossible to keep posession of the ball against pressing sides or when your side becomes out numbered against 3 man midfields.

Also, both the FCd and FCa have the same mentality with Tight marking turned on, so they usually are in a straight line marking the two CBs nicely without doing a thing. I would like the FCd to close down DMC or MCd for me and act as an extra man in the midfield.

I've increased the tempo and the passing style to normal, changed the FC settings to the ones that I mentioned in the post above mine. I also gave the wingers FWRs often.

So what it retains is the closing down settings (Which I can never for the life of me figure out for myself. My team always seems to be running around like headless chickens) and the global mentality.

Now, I'd like to change the global mentality into team specific mentality and instead of a team closing down, I'd like to customize it for all the players. Also setting up a good Counter attack likes United's last season would be my idea.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3218/dccustom.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5197/formatione.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8173/tac.jpg

FCs - I'm assuming you'll have an FCd and an FCa.

FCd with high creativity, passing, technique, decisions, long shots and optionally dribbling, teamwork, workrate, stamina.

PPMs - Shoots from distance, shoots with power, tries killer balls often.

FCa with high Off the ball, finishing, composure, first touch, acceleration, pace and optionally heading and jumping. I'm not sure how anticipation and positioning help strikers but seeing Owen has both of them at 20, I'm assuming there's some advantage. But they're very rare and I don't really think they're that important.

PPMs - Works the channels, Places shots.

Now with a Berbatov - Vagner Love or Rooney - Vagner love combination.

FCd - (Berbs/Rooney) -

Closing down - all the way to the end (21?)

Mentality - A notch or two below the Mentality of your MCa.

Creative freedom - 15/16

Long shots - often

Throughballs - often.

Crossball - mixed.

Hold up ball ticked.

Run with ball, FW Runs - Mixed.

Zonal marking, Tight marking ticked off.

FCa -

Mentality - One or Two notches above the highest player on the pitch.

Settings all on mixed.

Now, what usually happens is the FCa usually makes a quick move into the space between the two defenders and the FCd tries to pick a throughball or pass at the exact time. If it's a pass, he turns the defender inside out and gets a shot in or with the FCd / Winger making a forward run, he plays a neat ball to him which results in a scoring chance.

Or, the FCd shoots from distance and the keeper usually spills it and the anticipation(?) or the positioning of this striker usually lets him finish the rebound.

RWB often to even the best of dribblers always lands me in trouble when playing a side with a good defence, so I wouldn't suggest it.

Also, when playing on the counter, a free role to the FCa, assign him as the Targetman and use target man with Run on to ball. Usually works very well.

Thanks for this, i am going to give it a go setting up my strikers as suggested.

I am testing with Udinese now, not a top team but top 8 material at least. My 2 strikers at the moment are Cardozo and Quagliarella. Obviously Cardozo will be the FCa in this set up. Quagliarella has the PPM shoots from distance which could be a bonus, although in early matches it seems to lead to lots of wayward efforts.

Initial results show im still having the same problem, dominating games like never before in terms of possession % and shot count, but not scoring nearly enough goals. Latest was away match v Reggina - 18 shots v 6, 62% possession....lost the game 2 v 1 :(

Shall keep working, try and get the strikers scoring and considering moving the AMC more central rather than slightly to the left as he is now.

yes.i don't have screen of matches but i win 2 times serie a and 2 times champions league and 1 coppa italia.but now this tactic no working mna chanse and not scores i need help.any advice to do better with this tac??

• 2 weeks later...

I'm making a 'beautiful tactic pack' based on quick, short attacking play. This is the layout of the tactic:

mnus850q4i.png

I want the goalkeeper to distribute to either fullback, which are given a lot of freedom to run with the ball and attack in this tactic pack. My question is should I select 'Quick Throw' or 'Defender Collect' on the goalkeeper specific instruction for 'Distribution'?

I'm making a 'beautiful tactic pack' based on quick, short attacking play. This is the layout of the tactic:

mnus850q4i.png

I want the goalkeeper to distribute to either fullback, which are given a lot of freedom to run with the ball and attack in this tactic pack. My question is should I select 'Quick Throw' or 'Defender Collect' on the goalkeeper specific instruction for 'Distribution'?

Defender collect,- it helps to build an attack as you will retain possecion. Because with quick throw risks giving away posseccion.

This tactic looks really, and best of luck!! I love that formation. Don't. Be afraid to post questions asking for help.

I've just played my first friendly with this tactic and this was the outcome:

Omniworld0-9Everton.png

I missed a penalty and hit the bar 6 times! If you turn those 6 shots that hit the bar into on target shots then I had 34 shots, 21 on target which isn't too bad. (If I had scored those shots that hit the bar and the penalty I would have won 16-0).

Here is the pkm if anyone wants it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B56UW1CQ

Here it is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YG5C1TM0

There are three tactics:

Brazil Complete

Brazil Halfway

Brazil Incomplete

The first tactic is the most attacking and requires better teams. The last tactic is for lower quality teams and the middle tactic is a go-between these two and could be used during the transition of incomplete to complete.

Edited link to v2 to make the striker more effective.

Archived