That There FM Guide: My Help Guide On FM

Well I have read many guides over the years on FM but never really contributed significantly to the scene.

I hope this counts as a minor contribution and is not seen as useless but people are entitled to their own thoughts.

The guide is around 5.67MB and is 3000 words long in a PDF file.

Oh well here it is.

That There FM Guide

Would like to thank everyone who has ever posted a bit of tactical advice I read especially the wonderful TT&F

Introduction

As an FM player since CM01/02 I have a long understanding of the Match Engine and although this game (FM09) is a lot harder than others, I thought I would battle through it and learn some things. Within this guide are some thoughts on different formations, positions and other additional information. This is my first guide so do not expect a masterpiece. Here it goes.

Football Formations and Tactical Help For FM

In association football, the formation describes how the players in a team are positioned on the pitch. Different formations can be used depending on whether a team wishes to play more attacking or defensive football.

Key Points covered in this guide

Formations

• Formation Shape

• Classic Formations

• Modern Formations

• Future Formations

Other

• Pitch Shape/Size

• Tempo

• Target Men and Playmakers

• Holding Midfielders

• Sweeper Keepers

• Stats For Positions

• Match Tactical Changes- Will be included later

Formation Shape

The key to any successful tactic is the shape

The shape of a formation helps to...

• Keep the team in a unit

• Enable the manager to play an offensive or defensive tactic

• Maintain a balance between the two (Offense and Defense)

Classic Formations

These Tactics are a little outdated, however I think they show a good understanding of how the game was played in the past and who knows you might pick up on a thing or two in this section The Pyramid

The Formation is set out as shown below.

thepyramiddl2.jpg

The formation is all about scoring the most obviously however there are some key things defensive wise about this formation. The two DCs man mark the opposition wingers in the game whilst the MCs would man-mark the opposing strikers. It is important to note that man-marking is key as opposed to the modern zonal system in that without it the DCs would ignore the threat of the wings and concentrate on what is in their zone, leaving it easy to delivera killer ball against two defenders. The passing system within this tactic would primarily be a direct long ball to let the 5 forwards chase it. The forwards would also have high run with ball and low crossing and through ball for the central players and low through ball for the wingers. As the tactic was designed to make a player hog the ball till there was nothing else he could do with it.

Recommended Settings:

Mentality: Attacking

CF: Little/Mixed

Passing Style: Direct/Long

Tempo: Normal/Quick

Width: Wide

CD: Own Area (For DCs) Own Half (MCs) Whole Pitch (FC/FL/FRs)

Time Wasting: Rarely

DL: High Normal/Push Up

Tackling: Hard

FP: Mixed

Tight Marking: Yes

Use TM: No

Use PM: No

Offside Trap: Yes

Counter Attack: No

The Danubian School

The formation is set out the same as the Pyramid

danubianschooluw7.jpg

The Danubian School is obviously the same shape as the Pyramid, however the tactics are completely different in style of play. This tactic encourages free-flowing quick passing with short balls and high Creative Freedom. Although the defensive structure would be much the same the players would be encouraged to express themselves a bit more. The players would decide whether to run with the ball or play a pass and would likely have that setting at mixed as to encourage the player to decide for himself.

Recommended Settings:

CF: High

Passing Style: Short

Tempo: Quick

CD: Whole Pitch

DL: Push Up

Tackling: Normal

Use PM: MC

Metodo

The formation is set out as shown below.

metodoiv0.jpg

The formation is based on the Danubian school however is more defensive than that as two of the forwards are taken and placed just in front of the midfield. This has the advantage of being more defensive (for the times) than the previous formations it has similar ideas to the Danubian school tactic focusing on short passing and displaying technical ability more than anything else.

Recommended Settings:

Passing Style: Mixed

Counter Attack: Yes

The WM

wmts9.jpg

This famous formation was created by the Arsenal manager Herbert Chapman in the 1920s. It is seen as the foundation of the modern 3-4-3. This was the first tactic to seek a balance between offense and defence. It split the attack and defence into two clear units with the DL/DC/DR/DMCs making the defensive unit and the AMC/FL/FC/FRs the offensive unit. Another variation of the tactic is the offensive unit flipped with 3 AMs and two FCs . This is called the WW.

Recommended Settings:

CF: Mixed

Passing Style: High Mixed

This is the first part. As there is a limit on how many images I can put in a single post and that I dont want the disjointed guide all over this thread Im not sure what to do all credit for the formating goes to Josh77

Can't you post the full articles on here? Kinda pointless just doing a file for people to download to read elsewhere, when we are trying to create discussions here :)

Not really tons of reformatting to do :( ill post it up here but it will not have the full formating.

Advice to anyone: read the adobe version. ;) It hasn't translated the best to this forum. Much easier to follow with the lay-out on the downloaded version and the formation images.

Good job.

thanks very much mate means a lot :) hope you find it useful will be making additions if anyone has any suggestions.

Used the settings for the 4-4-2 formation against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, adjusted it for their short pitch, started of with a defensiv approach, VIOLA! 0-1 Win for my Liverpool side.

Great guide! Never thought about the pitch size but watching the full match made me reallize its importance. They ran offside all the time :) cause of my pushed up D-line and Mascherano used as Holding midfielder worked perfect.

Many thanks from Sweden!

Used the settings for the 4-4-2 formation against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, adjusted it for their short pitch, started of with a defensiv approach, VIOLA! 0-1 Win for my Liverpool side.

Great guide! Never thought about the pitch size but watching the full match made me reallize its importance. They ran offside all the time :) cause of my pushed up D-line and Mascherano used as Holding midfielder worked perfect.

Many thanks from Sweden!

Glad it worked mate :) I only put the mentality rather than specific sliders because every team is diffrent and needs little changes its just a good place to start.

Hi megafan2005, hope you don't mind, but I've formatted your great guide and put it in forum format....all credits goes to megafan2005!!!

Introduction

As an FM player since CM01/02 I have a long understanding of the Match Engine and although this game (FM09) is a lot harder than others, I thought I would battle through it and learn some things. Within this guide are some thoughts on different formations, positions and other additional information. This is my first guide so do not expect a masterpiece. Here it goes.

Football Formations and Tactical Help For FM

In association football, the formation describes how the players in a team are positioned on the pitch. Different formations can be used depending on whether a team wishes to play more attacking or defensive football.

Key Points covered in this guide

Formations

• Formation Shape

• Classic Formations

• Modern Formations

• Future Formations

Other

• Pitch Shape/Size

• Tempo

• Target Men and Playmakers

• Holding Midfielders

• Sweeper Keepers

• Stats For Positions

• Match Tactical Changes- Will be included later

Formation Shape

The key to any successful tactic is the shape

The shape of a formation helps to...

• Keep the team in a unit

• Enable the manager to play an offensive or defensive tactic

• Maintain a balance between the two (Offense and Defense)

Classic Formations

These Tactics are a little outdated, however I think they show a good understanding of how the game was played in the past and who knows you might pick up on a thing or two in this section The Pyramid

thepyramiddl2.jpg

The formation is all about scoring the most obviously however there are some key things defensive wise about this formation. The two DCs man mark the opposition wingers in the game whilst the MCs would man-mark the opposing strikers. It is important to note that man-marking is key as opposed to the modern zonal system in that without it the DCs would ignore the threat of the wings and concentrate on what is in their zone, leaving it easy to delivera killer ball against two defenders. The passing system within this tactic would primarily be a direct long ball to let the 5 forwards chase it. The forwards would also have high run with ball and low crossing and through ball for the central players and low through ball for the wingers. As the tactic was designed to make a player hog the ball till there was nothing else he could do with it.

Recommended Settings:

CF: Little/Mixed

Passing Style: Direct/Long

Tempo: Normal/Quick

CD: Own Area (For DCs) Own Half (MCs) Whole Pitch (FC/FL/FRs)

DL: High Normal/Push Up

The Danubian School

The formation is set out the same as the Pyramid

danubianschooluw7.jpg

The Danubian School is obviously the same shape as the Pyramid, however the tactics are completely different in style of play. This tactic encourages free-flowing quick passing with short balls and high Creative Freedom. Although the defensive structure would be much the same the players would be encouraged to express themselves a bit more. The players would decide whether to run with the ball or play a pass and would likely have that setting at mixed as to encourage the player to decide for himself.

Recommended Settings:

Metodo

metodoiv0.jpg

The formation is based on the Danubian school however is more defensive than that as two of the forwards are taken and placed just in front of the midfield. This has the advantage of being more defensive (for the times) than the previous formations it has similar ideas to the Danubian school tactic focusing on short passing and displaying technical ability more than anything else.

Recommended Settings:

The WM

wmts9.jpg

This famous formation was created by the Arsenal manager Herbert Chapman in the 1920s. It is seen as the foundation of the modern 3-4-3. This was the first tactic to seek a balance between offense and defence. It split the attack and defence into two clear units with the DL/DC/DR/DMCs making the defensive unit and the AMC/FL/FC/FRs the offensive unit. Another variation of the tactic is the offensive unit flipped with 3 AMs and two FCs . This is called the WW.

Recommended Settings:

Passing Style: High Mixed

3-3-4

The formation is set out as shown below (Some debate on the actual shape)

334ej5.jpg

The formation is similar to the WW formation and is slightly more defensive.

Recommended Settings:

Mentality: Mixed Attacking

Passing Style: Direct

Use PM: AMC

4-2-4

424pu2.jpg

Designed to have 6 Defenders (Back Four and MCs) and 6 Attackers (FCs, Wingers and MCs) This formation will likely have a defensive mentality for the DCs, mixed for the MCs and attacking for the forwards. The football is much like the Danubian School in that short passing with individual technical brilliance a key factor in the tactic.

Recommended Settings:

Mentality: Set out as detailed above

CD: Own Half

DL: Normal

Offside Trap: No

Kamikaze

kamikazevp6.jpg

A 1-6-3 formation used by the Japanese during the 30s. Clearly an all out attack tactic with no use in modern football just shown here as an example of the extremities there was in football.

Recommended Settings:

Mentality: Gung-Ho

CF: Little

Catenaccio

catenacciopa7.jpg

A very defensive formation used to grind out 1-0 victories. The most important position of the tactic is the inclusion of a Libero (sweeper) who mopped up the balls over the defense and double marked men if necessary. The defense would play the long ball forward and hope to hit the team on the break.

Recommended Settings:

Mentality: Ultra Defensive/Defensive

Passing Style: Long

Tempo: Mixed/Quick

Width: Narrow

CD: Own Area (For Ds) Own Half (M) Whole Pitch (FC/AML/AMR)

Time Wasting: Often

DL: Deep

Use TM: FC

1960's Estudiantes

The formation shape is shown below.

1960sestudiantesic6.jpg

One of, if not the most negative football formations that brought any success to a team. This tactic limited creative freedom and relied on dirtiness to win the ball and win 1-0s against the opposition.

Recommended Settings:

Mentality: Defensive

Modern Formations

These tactics will be more familiar (hopefully to most of you) These encourage strong defence and offense and are generally well balanced.

4-4-2

The formation is shown below.

442qt5.jpg

This is the most common and well known tactic in modern day football. The midfielders share defensive and offensive duties one MC will push up towards goal at any opportunity to support the strikers and the other will protect the back four. The two Sided Mids (ML/MR)'s job is to both provide the first line of defense from wing attacks and also push forward. They usually lack the stats to get past their man and that is why the play a mixed role. The 4-4-2 can either be Offensive/Mixed/Defensive and therefore it is hard to recommend a particular mentality and therefore it is up to the player what he wants the tactic to be like. The 4-4-2 Diamond formation is very similar but places the defensive MC in a DMC slot and the Offensive in the AMC slot.

Recommended Settings:

Mentality: Player's Choice on what kind of 4-4-2 he wants

CF: Normal - Necessary to maintain shape

Passing Style: Dependent on pitch size - Will be covered later

Tempo: Dependent on Pitch Size

CD: Own Area (For Ds) Own Half (M) Whole Pitch (FC(s))

Time Wasting: Dependent on match situation

DL: Dependent on Pitch size

Tackling: Dependent on defender skills

Use PM: More forward MC depending on quality of player

4-4-1-1

The formation is shown below.

4411ud2.jpg

This tactic is a slight variation of the 4-4-2 but one I thought necessary to have its own section. The usual two FCs are split into one FC and one AMC (Playmaker). The AMC can draw defenders out of position, create opportunities for the FC and ultimately score himself. This is the key position and is sometimes referred to as the number 10 or the Trequartista.

Recommended Settings:

CF: Normal - Obviously the AMC will have high since he is playmaker

Passing Style: Dependent on pitch size - Will be covered later

Tempo: Dependent on Pitch Size

Use TM: Up to you but obviously you would have to set him to play further up with a higher mentality than the AMC

Use PM: AMC

5-3-2

532km9.jpg

5-3-2 is a versatile formation that can easily switch from being defensive to offensive. The Wing-Backs can provide defensive capabilities and offensive also and will provide the width for the team.

Recommended Settings:

Mentality: Your Choice

(can change in match depending on situation)

CF: Normal

Width: Normal

4-3-2-1 (Christmas Tree)

4321iz9.jpg

The 4-3-2-1 formation is an attacking formation with two AMCs both designed to draw out the opposition DCs and then allow the AMCs to exploit the gap and play a telling ball through the to the lone striker.

Recommended Settings:

Mentality: Normal

Width: Narrow

Use PM: AMC(s)

3-6-1

The formation is set up as shown below.

361ua5.jpg

The 3-6-1 is focused on keeping possession and playing the ball on the ground. The AMCs however will benefit from having direct passing so as to provide through balls to the lone striker.

Recommended Settings:

Use PM: AMC(s)

4-5-1

The formation can vary but here is my idea.

451hq4.jpg

The formation tries to be solid at the back and launch a devastating Counter Attack. The formation is favored by Jose Mourinho but he uses a more offensive one than here with one MC being practically an AMC and the other an all rounder with the DMC providing a shield for the back four. The GK distribution should be set to long ball to the FC.

Recommended Settings:

Width: Narrow - Currently Testing

Use PM: Depends (MC perhaps)

3-4-3

343sy5.jpg

A 3-4-3 Formation means the MCs have to share duties between defending and attacking and the DMC has to employ a zonal system to catch wide players. Having only three defenders means the tactic is susceptible to wing attacks however the hope is that you score more than you concede.

Recommended Settings:

4-2-3-1

4231uf4.jpg

The formation is solid defensively and relies on a quick counter attack. However despite just having one upfront the inclusion of an AMC (playmaker) means this tactic has potential to devastate defenses. The play has to be short and slow except the AMC who benefits with a direct passing to cut open defenses.

Recommended Settings:

Mentality: High Normal/Attacking

Tempo: Slow

Use PM: Yes

Future Formations

4-6-0

460tg8.jpg

As you can see the most striking feature of the tactic (No pun intended) is the lack of an out and out forward. However this tactic is not necessarily defensive depending on how you set the team up. The team is going to need Stamina, Teamwork and Work Rate as many players end up playing multiple positions.

Recommended Settings:

Passing Style: Short- Without it ball will be lost all the time

Use PM:AMC

Pitch Shape/Size

Depending on pitch size it may be necessary to tweak your Passing Style, Tempo and Defensive Line.

Long/Wide

Passing Style: Short as direct balls are likely to be easily mopped up by opposition defenders.

Tempo: Slow, a large pitch can tire players out if they are trying to play a hundred miles an hour especially in the recent 9.3 Patch.

Defensive Line: Deep/Normal as on a large pitch with a high defensive line the long ball which will devastate your defense.

Short/Narrow

Passing Style: Direct to get the ball moving quickly.

Tempo: Quick, get the ball moving fast to get past the defense since its a smaller pitch the players will not tire that much.

Defensive Line: High, you’re unlikely to be caught on the break since the pitch is so small. This also allows you to maintain possession as your team can get the ball back straight away and increases passing options.

Target Men And Playmakers

Playmakers

This player controls the tempo of the game for his team and usually is the one the team look for whilst passing the ball. He will provide your team with the most assists and should also be a goal-scoring threat to the opposition. He is usually played beside a holding midfielder in the opposite MC slot who makes sure that the offensive nature of play does not disrupt the balance of defense and offence.

Playmaker Instructions:

Passing Style: Mixed/Direct

CD: Own Area

Tackling: Easy

FW: Mixed

RWB: Mixed

LS: Dependent on stats

TB: Often

CB: Rarely

FR: Yes

HUB: Yes

Target Men

A forward with the ability to hold up the ball and use his heading and jumping to create chances for his team mates.

Target man Instructions:

Mentality: High Normal

Tackling: Easy

FW: Rarely/Mixed

RWB: Rarely

LS: Often

TB: Often

FR: Yes

HUB: Yes

Holding Midfielders

Can be played in either the DMC slot (Defensive) or in a mixed role in the MC slot. Their main job is to rough up the opposition and allow the more skilled and creative players to work further up the park. They have the effect of forcing players out wide which in FM if that is not the natural position will have a serious effect on their ability to work their magic.

Holding Midfielder Instructions:

Mentality: Defensive

FW: Rarely

LS: Rarely

TB: Rarely- Risks passing ball to opponent

FR: No

HUB: No

Marking: Zonal - Has to be

Sweeper Keepers

A modern implementation of the standard keeper. This keeper will require specific stats detailed in the "Stats For Positions" section of the guide. Basically as well as keeping the ball out of the net the keeper will also act as a sweeper. This needs a high D-Line as the keeper would have nothing to do if the DCs were close to him.

Sweeper Keepers Instructions:

Mentality: DCs Mentality plus (1-5)

CF: Mixed/High

CD: Own Area

FW: Mixed

LS: Rarely

TB: Mixed

FR: No

HUB: No

Stats For Positions

Specific positions on the park obviously require specific stats, some are more important than others and help the players excel even if they are not as expensive as others if they have the attributes in the right sections.

Goalkeepers: Aerial Ability, Command of Area, Composure, Concentration, Handling, Reflexes, One on One, Kicking or Throwing and Decisions.

Defenders: Composure, Concentration, Jumping, Marking, Tackling, Positioning and Strength

Full Backs: Acceleration, Crossing, Pace, Positioning, Tackling and Work Rate

Holding Midfielders: Composure, Marking, Positioning, Passing and Tackling

Side Mids: Crossing, Passing, Tackling and Work Rate

Wingers: Acceleration, Crossing, Dribbling, Flair, Pace and Technique

Offensive Midfielders(Playmakers): Creativity, Flair, Long Shots, Passing and Technique

Attacking Midfielders: Creativity, Dribbling, Flair, Pace, Technique and Composure

Target Men: Composure, Finishing, Heading, Jumping, Off The Ball and Passing

Strikers: Acceleration, Composure, Finishing, First Touch, Off The Ball and Pace

Thanks so much Josh :) glad you enjoyed the guide so much you formatted it.

I'm on my phone and it's unlikely I'll be near a computer today so if a mod sees this could the take Joshs work and put it first post with credit to him obviously and change the thread name to mention full guide is now up on first post . Thanks very much. :)

Thanks for this. Im about to start a new game using the new patch for the first time. Hoping to create a decent 442 formation and use the 532 for certain matches using similar instructions given in this guide,

Thanks for this. Im about to start a new game using the new patch for the first time. Hoping to create a decent 442 formation and use the 532 for certain matches using similar instructions given in this guide,

Good luck mate keep us posted if possible :)

Archived