1960s Inter - Helenio Herrera's 6-3-1

That's the best I can come up with for describing the formation.

I'm trying to recreate it in FM, or at least create something based firmly on it, so I thought I'd bring it up here.

I'm starting with Chelsea because they're always a good team for tactical experimentation imo.

So the best way I can find of resembling it within the confines of FM is:

SW DL DC DC DM WBR MC AML AMC ST

My second attempt can be found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7a0b9509c86b379b67cd7f7bd65f7eefe04e75f6e8ebb871

My first attempt was with an MR instead of a WBR but the player didn't behave how I'd like so I dropped him back.

The three main points of this formation for me are the MC (set as a playmaker with a free role), the AML (also with a free role) and the WBR (who needs to be both attacking and defensive at the same time).

Results so far with Chelsea suggest I have the basics right, but further development is always welcome.

Friendlies

H 2:1 Lyon

H 3:1 Boca

A 1:1 Cardiff (all strikers injured, played Terry up front)

A 2:0 Athletic

A 3:1 Germinal Beerschot

Competitive

A 2:0 Newcastle

A 1:0 West Ham

H 2:1 Wigan

H 3:0 Bolton

H 1:0 Porto

9 wins - 1 loss.

Now I'm sure you'll agree that they're unimpressive results given the team I'm using, but I think it confirms I have a solid base on which to work from. Feel free to join me in this development if you wish.

Just highlights - I personally love the way the wide players and playmaker attack, and I'm incredibly happy with how nearly the entire team pack into the box when defending.

Results since the above date:

A 0:0 Liverpool

A 1:0 Portsmouth

H 0:1 West Brom - scored with their only shot on goal (a penalty) :(

A 1:2 Fiorentina - my fault for not reacting quickly enough. Should have mirror flipped my tactic to deal with the threat of Mutu.

H 2:0 Stoke

H 3:0 Middlesbrough

H 1:1 Zenit

H 1:0 Tottenham

A 2:0 Man City

My continental campaign is not going well, but I'm joint top of the Premiership after 10 games only conceding 2 goals.

Ok, the first alternate:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7a0b9509c86b379b67cd7f7bd65f7eefe04e75f6e8ebb871

Been experimenting for the last few in-game months to try and get the left-back more involved (as Facchetti was known for scoring his share of goals every season) and while Ashley Cole isn't scoring many he is at least getting into the right positions.

I've moved the left winger into a central role to give the left back room to run into, but this means he doesn't drift as wide as he should. Experimenting with learning PPMs to try and recreate the right movement.

Ive moved the WBR up to MR again to as accurately mirror Herrera's tactics as possible*

*but without the alleged drugging and match fixing that is

The team now lines up as SW DLC DRC WBL DMC MCX MR AMLCX AMRC ST with X denoting a free role.

Second alternate:

This is from their last two seasons where the playmaker dropped deeper.

Still can't work out how to accurately portray the left attacker. He wasn't an AMC and he wasnt an AML but something in between - but giving him a free role just isn't working as well as I'd like.

This is a SW DL DC DC DMLC DMRC MR AML AMC ST

Will give this a whirl with my average Ipswich team and let you know how it goes Mate :)

IRL the smaller teams that tried to immitate it found themselves easily swamped in midfield so it should give you poor results against and midfield-heavy formations. It was the brilliance of the wide players that kept Inter going, which is why getting the wide left attacker position is so pivotal to getting this right.

Would kill for an individual width slider.

Ackter posting in here:eek::D

I'll load it up in a while and have a look at it and see if I can give any tips on how to get the AML working as intended. Just a question for you, which version would you like to get working, the first one or the latest?

The first and the third are the two main versions used irl - the third was the one that lost to Celtic in the European final because it couldn't handle the 424 they threw at it (mixed with emotional problems brought on by Herrera's over-bearing control of course).

Ideally I'd like to get them both working so I can alternate between them.

I think I've got the DL position working perfectly with a mixture of tactics and PPMs (get forward often and arrive late in the box), the problem areas being:

1. The left attacker

2. Directness

Herrera was a disciple of the "all attacks should be no more than 3 passes" school of thought, and while I've got it passing quickly and directly there's often a lot more than 3 passes. Now this is probably down to the "limitations" of the match engine as it'll be simulation modern football where something like this wouldn't really happen anymore.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived