3-2-3-1-1 raptor

32311raptorqg8.jpg

3-2-3-1-1 RAPTOR

A Brief overview on my theory and the tactic itself

This tactic I have developed has been around since earlier versions of the game and used mainly with Dortmund. I have created it myself and have not taken anything from anyone elses tactic, if there is anything similar in this tactic that another person uses, please let me know.

((I just need it to be known that this is not a tactic for people that play the game on fast mode ie key highlights, you will not understand the game or the tactic that way so if you are not interested save yourself the time, thank you))

((Also, my approach to the game differs with every game and I make minor tweaks, if you are looking for a tactic that will hold up against every kind of situation, you are in the wrong thread. By the time you have read this post you should be able to work what minor tweaks need to be made yourself))

FM09

I have successfully employed this tactic with a big team, Chelsea. A team with a lack of funds but a great youth development and a solid first team squad, Flamengo. Also a team from the BSS in the English lower divisions, Southport. The first two I have had good success especially with Flamengo allowing 1 goal in the first 23 games. The Chelsea game allowed only 8 goals in the entire league. The Southport game found it hard for my tactic and I gave up after 20 games. This tactic is used by myself primarily for medium to large clubs. I played with Chelsea 4 times, 2 seasons using a basic 4-4-2 with average success and 2 times using the Raptor tactic with good sucess to make sure it wasn't a fluke. With Flamengo once a whole season with great success and now on my 2nd time starting from the begining again, so far have played 11 games unbeaten, played rivals twice and beat them, now about to play the State Final Derby v Fluminense.

My Style

I think its important that I first explain my style of management and the type of football I like to watch and coach. The type of football this tactic and my style is, is a fast paced short passing game with a decent amount of pressure to win the ball back. I try not try to play too fast because my team will spend the whole game fighting for the ball, so its all about finding a balance. With this tactic I watch full games with the speed a couple of notches to the right otherwise you will sit there for hours. So long as you don't make it too fast and can see what is happening you will be able to understand the tactic, as well as read and react to certain situations, most importantly the 4-2-4 the AI uses near the end of the game.

The benefits of watching the game in full 3d are endless. With this version I can't see how people don't, but there are some that like to 'sim' a season as fast as possible. Each to their own, but I don't see the point.

Training

The training schedueles I have are in depth and there is 1 scheduele for every person on my team, yes over 50 some times. This allows me to get the best out of each individual player and get to know each player, what they can and can't do. I reccomend this if you have some time on your hands and like a long game, otherwise normal training is fine.

3-2-3-1-1

Global settings:

Passing = Short - 3 clicks from base

Hold Ball = None

Tempo = Quick - 1st click of quick

Time wasting = 1st click of Rarely going from middle to left

Dline = 1 click left from middle

Focus Pass = Mixed

Set Pieces = Mixed

Trap = No

Counter = No

Width = 2 clicks left of middle

Target Supply = Situational (will explain further down)

Use Target = Yes

Use Playmaker = Yes

Corners, Free kicks = 2 men in defence always on attacking SP's(faster guys) and 2 men in attack always on defensive SP's (smaller guys). Each team is different so you need to figure that out yourself and have them set up accordingly.

Overall the whole team plays the same short passing so they need decent passing stats. Minimal through balls as it is a build up tactic and only the wingbacks cross with emphasis on passing the opposition into the ground and creating a realistic effort on goal with sublime quality.

((if I forgot anything please ask))

The 3 DC's

The middle man

The tactic uses 3 central defenders, the middle DC is used on a zonal marking scheme with closing down just before half way and is generally good at starting up the attack again after the ball sprays out from your attacking third. His forward runs are sent to mix to help him play this way. He is also good at applying pressure and cleaning up anything the DMC misses, with that extra jumping and heading ability he will win massive amounts of headers from opposition long balls/through balls in vital areas.

His mentality is one notch below normal as I don't want my defenders hoofing the ball away all the time and this happens in any tactic if they are set too low. He is capable of making good timed tackles and I want him to be agressive, so tackling is set to high and marking set to loose.

I don't want him trying anything stupid or trying to be creative, his main objective is to defend. I have others for that role, although he is good support in attack for my specific need as stated earlier.

So his main settings are;

No throughballs, crosses, long shots or RWB.

For this guy, he needs;

15+ anticipation would be ideal and is his key stat to cutting attacks out

12+ heading, jumping, decisions, positioning, tackling, strength, stamina & passing

10+ concentration, composure, teamwork, aggression, off the ball & first touch (first touch is very important for the fast tempo short passing game, all should have good first touch and is a key team stat, otherwise this tactic will fail)

He is usually the smart fat guy so he doesn't need good acceleration or pace.

The Outsiders

The 2 DC's outside the middle man are the ones tackling hard & man marking the opposition strikers tightly and standing off untill a bit deeper in our half but wont stray too high up the pitch to get caught out by through balls or fast strikers. The narrower width I play always has backups and cover men under the zonal scheme so if they are beat there is usually someone else always there to help, apply pressure and win the ball back.

These two guys don't play anything fancy like the middle man, they are primarily there to defend and help slightly in the begining of the attack by passing it to the wingbacks and midfield from our side of the pitch. The positions they usually pass from there is generally not much pressure unless you are playing a high closing down team and you can pick that up fast by watching the full game. It is hardly a problem for me regardless, if they are under pressure they manage to get the ball away to the nearest man fast enough and this tires out the opposition.

Even under sustained pressure, the defence does its job as instructed and never really tires, so you won't need to sub a DC out but have one on the bench incase of injury.

The outsiders settings;

No forward runs and the rest the same as the middle man

Stats needed;

15+ marking, tackling

Prefer these guys to be as fast as you can get for a DC, physical guys with decent overall stats

12+ heading, jumping

This is usually a trade off, you can find a faster DC in the game with lower heading and jumping stats that trade for physical stats. More is better obviously, but these are bare minimum.

The Wingmen

These guys are very important to the tactic, they need to be of higher quality than the rest because if they are weak you will be exposed alot down the flanks.

They run with the ball alot and if they are strong on both feet I suggest training any of these guys in your team to play the other side till natural or accomplished so they can back up. PPM 'runs with ball down the flank' is great. They obviously need high or good dribbling skills and this is their key stat, they need to be able to play from the bottom to the top of the pitch.

They cross from the byline usually to my target man, he is weak in the air so I have the ball crossed low by "target supply feet"

Good overall stats are needed, crossing, dribbling, stamina and pace.

The idea here is to have them passing it around but also bringing the ball up and laucnhing the attack when the ball goes there way. Because of this role they play a vital part in the tactic and its important they dont mark tightly so they can get some advantage of space when they get the ball. If they start getting tired sub them out near the end of the game and have a backup for each, cut down there runs and this will help with late goals and guys getting past them late in the game.

Here when the AI hits 4-2-4 uber mode, cut their runs off completely RWB crossing and get them to tightly mark, the AI will struggle to get past them especially if you have fresh guys on late in the game. Me 1, AI 0 :p

The field of dreams

The 4 Horseman

The midfield need to be decently creative have average defensive skills and good passing stats. The AMC is my play maker and this makes alot of balls go his way through the midfield and cuts down on the number of times the Wingmen have to dribble even with a mixed passing game. So it balances itself out.

The middle MC plays as a DMC, the 2 outside him help supply the AMC and protect the middle of the park.

The lone ranger

The lone striker/targetman is usually given a free role to find space so he needs to be smart as well as have the usual striker stats. Play to his strengths, if he is strong in the air get his supply to his head, if he's good good balance and first touch, the his feet, if he is fast and can anticipate, run onto ball. Run onto ball is good for when you play through balls, but my tactic has minimal through balls as I want most of the passes going to his feet.

I think that just about covers it all, I will add more to the midfield and striker parts later but I want to get back to my game.

Here is the tactic please try it out and tell me what team you used and how many games you played with it and most importantly if you liked it.

Thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0d881d51e6fe13c6d956df2962098fcbe04e75f6e8ebb871

..to be continued (I need to see how many text I can put in one post). (plus upload of tactic at the end).

I like this tactic.

The main reason why you didn't have succsses with lower league teams is that they just don't have enough quality to play short, but fast passing game.

Also lower leagues require much more balanced formations (like simple, flat 4-4-2).

I'll try to explain. This "raptor" formation is realatively deep. I mean...you can play attacking or defensive game...but positioning of your players is DEEP. For better teams it's not a problem, cause players are techicaly and especially phisicaly good enough to go forward fast and go fast in defence. But it's not the case with lower league players. So I found it's much better to employ simple tactics that have enough man-power in every area (like flat 4-4-2).

P.S. I made something similar, but your tactics is much more stable at back.

DC DC

WBR, DM, WBL,

MC, MC

AMC

FC, FC

I like this tactic.

The main reason why you didn't have succsses with lower league teams is that they just don't have enough quality to play short, but fast passing game.

Also lower leagues require much more balanced formations (like simple, flat 4-4-2).

I'll try to explain. This "raptor" formation is realatively deep. I mean...you can play attacking or defensive game...but positioning of your players is DEEP. For better teams it's not a problem, cause players are techicaly and especially phisicaly good enough to go forward fast and go fast in defence. But it's not the case with lower league players. So I found it's much better to employ simple tactics that have enough man-power in every area (like flat 4-4-2).

P.S. I made something similar, but your tactics is much more stable at back.

DC DC

WBR, DM, WBL,

MC, MC

AMC

FC, FC

Thanks for the reply man, let me know how you go.

The point you made about using this in lower league is true, a simple 4-4-2 works best, with the past few versions, 4-4-2 works best with low quality sides.

Looks interesting, will try it and let you know if I have the stamina to finish a season by this week. :p I'm a slow player.

*edit: Just wondering what might your training schedules be like?

Excellent! Take your time! I <3 slow players :D

My training is set up for example.

50 different schedueles for each first team and reserve player, I name the scheduele after the player and well as have a sickbay for players comming off an injury and leave them in light training for a month, that is the only group scheme.

I train each player individually on their weaknesses, or what I feel they need to improve on, such as dribbling for example. I mostly monitor their training every month, I go through every player and see how he is doing on his training scheme, if it needs to be toned down or can be pushed harder.

The first month of play I monitor them every week, but after a few months I monitor them monthly.

Also note, players on youth contracts I just give them general training as they are still developing.

Its take a while to set up, but once it is set up its rewarding.

Also let me know how you tested it, for example how you watched it and how many games if you can be bothered :)

Thanks for all explanation! Looks extremely promising...however all hard work is ruined by shitty link to dl...

It seems nobody can dl it!

Also, any change regarding playing at home and away?! And what do you do if AI goes 4-2-4...or they put pressure on you?!

Very similar to a formation i use which is 3-2-2-1-2. I used to to stunning affect in the MLS with New York Red Bulls employing some attacking wing-backs pinging balls into the box with two tall front men.

When i came up against heavy pressure i'd push the wing-backs back to a flat back 4 with a sweeper.

I really like your variation on the formation, i'm going to try it as an alternative to my own version and see how it works

Seems the link is broken, or well, not the link but the file it self :)

Crap. I just uploaded the .tac file, maybe I will try winzip then upload. Any good sites to upload?

Thanks for all explanation! Looks extremely promising...however all hard work is ruined by shitty link to dl...

It seems nobody can dl it!

Also, any change regarding playing at home and away?! And what do you do if AI goes 4-2-4...or they put pressure on you?!

Thanks man, I will fix it now. Not much change on home and away, but with the 4-2-4 I explained that in my post, I turn off the WB's forward runs, mentality and make sure they tight/man mark the specific players late in the game (usually after 80th minute) if need be I sub one or both, so its important these guys have high stamina.

Very similar to a formation i use which is 3-2-2-1-2. I used to to stunning affect in the MLS with New York Red Bulls employing some attacking wing-backs pinging balls into the box with two tall front men.

When i came up against heavy pressure i'd push the wing-backs back to a flat back 4 with a sweeper.

I really like your variation on the formation, i'm going to try it as an alternative to my own version and see how it works

Excellent man, let me know how it goes. I'm currently trying something with the new patch, using 3 strikers and 2 central mids with this similar formation.

;2785961']Have used quite a similar 3-2-3-2 tactic in FM08 with some decent success. Maybe I'll give it a go in my upcoming Denmark game (perhaps Denmark has the players for it' date=' if not I'll try it with an other team).[/quote']

Cheers man, let me know how you go.

Archived