Barrows, Farrows and Sarrows, just what exactly they?

If giving the FL/FR a Sarrow results when his team not in possession he retreats to help the midfielder behind him, does this then mean that giving a Sarrow to say a LM/RM would result in that particular player/s retreating to help the full back just behind them? Again im confused. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have a theory that may help testing some stuff about arrows but unfortunately I do not have my linux machine now. When using VMware on linux, you can save the "state" of the machine. This means saving all the random seeds as well.

The story is; when you save the "state" of the virtual windows just before clicking "start" before a game, you get the same game no matter how many times you reload the state and click the start button. I mean the same match report and the same result... the same everything because the random seeds are stored as well.

So, using a tactic with no MC's or DMC's but a single AMC, one should save the state of the virtual machine just before starting the game, and run the game twice: 1- put the player in AMC position to MC position and give a barrow 2- put the player in the AMC position to DMC position and give a farrow. all other instructions should be the same.

after watching the "same" game with the same player playing DMC farrowed in one game and MC barrowed in the other, one can see if there is a difference.

But as I said, I do not have my linux pc anymore, so I need a volunteer who has that can test this.

Originally posted by praxiteles:

I have a theory that may help testing some stuff about arrows but unfortunately I do not have my linux machine now. When using VMware on linux, you can save the "state" of the machine. This means saving all the random seeds as well.

The story is; when you save the "state" of the virtual windows just before clicking "start" before a game, you get the same game no matter how many times you reload the state and click the start button. I mean the same match report and the same result... the same everything because the random seeds are stored as well.

So, using a tactic with no MC's or DMC's but a single AMC, one should save the state of the virtual machine just before starting the game, and run the game twice: 1- put the player in AMC position to MC position and give a barrow 2- put the player in the AMC position to DMC position and give a farrow. all other instructions should be the same.

after watching the "same" game with the same player playing DMC farrowed in one game and MC barrowed in the other, one can see if there is a difference.

But as I said, I do not have my linux pc anymore, so I need a volunteer who has that can test this.

But when you made a change, FM recalculates so would override it.

To be honest you do not even need to do that all you would need to do is put the Farrow and watch what happens when both in possession and without ball and then give the same player a Barrow and see what happens.

There quite obvious really but for me it becomes harder to tell what is going on when you are giving Sarrows and Darrows.

Originally posted by Cleon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buxton:

The Sarrows definitely work defensively too, to give you another example I gave both my FC's a short SBarrow (thats a new one) to the AMR/L position and they dropped back and to the wings when I didn't have the ball.

You've got to remember too that other factors influence all of this debate, namely a players favoured moves i.e moving out to the wings

Thats how I have the the FC's set up for the W-M, or atleast i think it is.

Like this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how did you fare with this tactic?looks good though

Ok, Ive tried reading through most of this stuff but there is still one thing I am not clear on... what player playes best when one puts arrows? If you give a DMC a barrow should he then ideally be a D/DM, or can a regular DM with no abilities as a Dc do just as well?

My main problems come in midfield and with farrows on my midfielders. Never know what players I should play MCs or AMCs...

From this thread I would guess that its best to play the player who fits the starting postition... right?

Originally posted by alin1975:

Ok, Ive tried reading through most of this stuff but there is still one thing I am not clear on... what player playes best when one puts arrows? If you give a DMC a barrow should he then ideally be a D/DM, or can a regular DM with no abilities as a Dc do just as well?

My main problems come in midfield and with farrows on my midfielders. Never know what players I should play MCs or AMCs...

From this thread I would guess that its best to play the player who fits the starting postition... right?

If you have an MC with an arrow to the AMC position, as long as he's got good attacking attributes, you can use a normal MC in that role

Originally posted by Noel Gallagher:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alin1975:

If you have an MC with an arrow to the AMC position, as long as he's got good attacking attributes, you can use a normal MC in that role </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And vice versa for the DMC

When using VMware on linux, you can save the "state" of the machine.

You can do this on vmware for windows as well.

Yeah, won't work, as Cleon rightly stated.

Yeah, won't work, as Cleon rightly stated.

Hmm, I thought the random seeds are not refreshed after a change but it turns out different because the teams are different. but you may be right as well.

but still nobody knows if there is a difference between a farrowed DMC and a barrowed MC icon_smile.gif

I've seen people have success with barrowed FB's but as anyone tried the same with there CB's?

In my last few games i decided to experiment this and it seems to be working well, especially useful for slow CB's. As it gives them a vital 3 or 4 yards advantage. Also very helpful to intercept the long ball by the A1 for the striker to run onto in between your CB's.

When playing a central targetman upfront (with focus passing to head) it pays of big time to short sarrow him towards the opposition DC with the lowest heading attribute. I found that when using a targetman in some matches he will be outjumped by a DC with a higher heading ability hence making your targetman completely useless. So sarrowing him towards the DC with the lower heading ability works great.

I have not noticed a difference in targetman positioning when sarrowing him... Not saying there isn't one, just didn't notice it.

I would like to touch upon (/return to) the discussion of the difference between a farrowed DMC and a barrowed MC. I think understanding of this is very important.

In possesion:

- A farrowed DMC will try to move forward to MC when you get possesion. Hence at a goalkick for your team he will runs to his MC position.

- A barrowed MC will also be in his MC position when in possesion

Not in possesion:

- The farrowed DMC will be in his DMC position

- The barrowed MC go to DMC when loosing possesion

So basically at first glance it seems that the two sets of instructions are identical. Anyone know where the differences lie? (if any)

I have been thinking whether the difference could be related to the players priority.

So the farrowed DMC focus on being a offensive DMC, meaning every time possesion is gained his first priority is to go forward and join the MCs. So he carries out his run promptly. If then possesion is lost, he goes back to his DMC. However it happens at a slower pace (he drifts back). He might even choose to close down at midfield before being back in his "defence" position.

Similarly the MC would have it the other way around. When loosing position, the first thing on his mind is to get back to DMC and THEN consider what to do next. Gaining possesion will have him move forward, but not at highest priority. He might join a couple of combinations while slowly drifting back to MC.

Unfortunately I havent been able to test this through very much, since im unable to play very much atm icon_frown.gif, so this should be regarded as theoretical speculations.

Anyway I would love to hear anyones experience on the matter.

• 1 year later...

Archived