[TAC] Go-Go-Go!

I have mixed results with this tactic. I am Middlesbrough now and it is not working like it was at lower level. Maybe because I am not heavy favourites?

I use this and Knaps shut up shop version, which use NO FORWARD runs to be defensive.

I find this really odd how the forward runs have so much effect on a tactic's results.

Oh yes... For the first time in 4 years we thought to be presented a match engine which can't be beaten by "super-tactics", and when we got really sure about it - here it is...

Would be very nice, if SI notices this thread before the third patch release. It is ridiculous to see this "approach" to the game can give you even 1 point per season... while it seems it can actually win games with ease.

I just fail to comprehend such things.

If this will work with 9.3.0 then I just don't see any sense in playing FM2009 anymore...

Everything I wanted to say! Thanks man it is 100 % true. After I saw this thread I stopped to play and I am waiting for new patch, hoping that SI will correct this stupid things.

Rolling on floor laughing my ass off.

ti2al1.jpg

ii2on2.jpg

panicam0.jpg

4-3-3 formation.

NO INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTIONS AT ALL.

NO TEAM INSTRUCTIONS AT ALL.

Used OI's second half.

Won 3-0. And I don't even care if it works all the time or not, surely I can tweak this default tac to make great results all the time...

I just have no words... I don't want to flame, the whole issue just speaks for itself...

Rolling on floor laughing my ass off.

4-3-3 formation.

NO INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTIONS AT ALL.

NO TEAM INSTRUCTIONS AT ALL.

Used OI's second half.

Won 3-0. And I don't even care if it works all the time or not, surely I can tweak this default tac to make great results all the time...

As far as i know majority of default tactics have either often or rarely forward runs for MC's. While youre tactic has everything on "mixed" so you did tweak it slightly ? And is everything set to mixed for each player

As far as i know majority of default tactics have either often or rarely forward runs for MC's. While youre tactic has everything on "mixed" so you did tweak it slightly ? And is everything set to mixed for each player

dunno, maybe you're right. I don't remember. I don't even think it'll make any difference. Yes, everything is mixed for everyone.

That wasn't my point, anyway. I don't consider the above to be a tactic at all - that's the problem. This "tweaking" is just nothing compared to what the forum "Tactics & Training Tips" is, or, should I say, MUST be about. What's the use in all those threads with huge theory and innumerable settings tweaked for each individual player ?.. 20 clicks and you're all set...

Think that is what cleon and lots of others do anyway

sure, the difference is in ammount of tweaking. Just compare TTF to this...

Just to let you know, some positions have it set to 'Swap players' or something. So if you have saved a team selection and then just applied the tactic, and moved the players into the correct positions, it will not have changed who players swap with. Because of this, I had one of strikers swapping with one of my defenders..

Just thought it could be a reason why some people not have the best success rate. Also, mess around with pre-match & half-time team talks. Helps a lot.

I agree with you about the fact that forward runs for goalkeeper are not logical :)

However, I also think the instructions present in other fm tactics for the team and players are too complex for the real life. Lets think about being a manager. Can you ever say to your player : "Your attack mentality is between normal and attacking, 2 notches above the normal" :))

I want to say that this tactic is a possible tactic present in real life.

I agree with you about the fact that forward runs for goalkeeper are not logical :)

However, I also think the instructions present in other fm tactics for the team and players are too complex for the real life. Lets think about being a manager. Can you ever say to your player : "Your attack mentality is between normal and attacking, 2 notches above the normal" :))

I want to say that this tactic is a possible tactic present in real life.

Actually, you can say such things to your players. Not in numeric equivalent, of course, but mainly compared to other players positions. Look at the mentality systems part of TTF, where some real life tactical examples are transferred to FM match engine. It's a complex process, but yes, I believe individual mentality settings are described very detailed by RL managers.

But anyway, I don't think game sliders are realistic, too, though, tbh. Some kind of graphical tweaking tool could provide a much more realistic and illustrative method of changing individual mentality...

This tactic is possible IRL, of course, but when it comes to the present way of FM, it means you've done next to nothing about your tactics... That's why some people are ****ed off this can work. When you take over a club IRL you must say something in any case, and this moment is like 'hidden' in game when you use default tacs. So it looks like you've done nothing about tactics, but you get very good results.

P.S. I wouldn't say farrow on GK isn't logical, this approach was used in dutch football, with GK playing like sweeper behind the defence.

• 2 weeks later...
This tactic can show you so stupid and unrealistic is match engine in FM09.

The only stupid and unrealistic thing this shows is the inability of the AI to exploit player created tactics in detail and the solid basic standard of the default settings.

You have made the screenshots appear to be rediculous when infact the actual instructions are pretty conservative and instruct players to make careful decisions based only on their positions. Your backline running forward constructs an offside trap and gives you plenty of passing options, and your closing down settings tells your players to get back into position before challenging for the ball.

It is as stupid and unrealistic as Rio Ferdinand running down the right wing or dribbling into the box and works for pretty much the same reasons.

It's another flaw in the FM engine, this is a reason why Arsenal dominate so much on FM, by playing an extremely short passing game on FM, you don't need extremely high-paid footballers with very high CA, just a good passing stat and ability to make good decisions.

However, this tactic can backfire and you can concede a lot of goals in some matches, try playing Mourinho's system against this and this will crumble.

It just shows you how simple a complicated game is. A simple tactic with everything in the middle can make you win everything.

Apart from the Forward Runs and the customised individual tactics its a conservative tactic. Whilst I can why people think its stupid and might ruin the game, maybe test it playing against customised tactics to see if it can be countered. I can imagine that tactic (or something similar) being torn apart by more custom tactics.

I don't really think it shows the engine to be any more or less realistic than the engine is.

Archived