How to make 4-3-3 work?

Hey guys.

Since 23 I've slowly moved away from 4-3-3, and every time I try to go back I'm reminded why. The issue is the striker, he's a glorified spectator and unless he gets goals or assists he's a guaranteed 6.4 or lower. Any tips?

2 minutes ago, ElJuanvito said:

Hey guys.

Since 23 I've slowly moved away from 4-3-3, and every time I try to go back I'm reminded why. The issue is the striker, he's a glorified spectator and unless he gets goals or assists he's a guaranteed 6.4 or lower. Any tips?

18 hours ago, ElJuanvito said:

Put him on support, problem solved. He'll drop deep and link play just as is intended at any 4-3-3 that makes sense that I know. On attack duty ofc he'll just lurk and wait for his opportunities just like irl.

Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2024 at 15:59, ElJuanvito said:

The issue is the striker, he's a glorified spectator and unless he gets goals or assists he's a guaranteed 6.4 or lower. Any tips?

I was playing around with a DLF(a) or CF(s) on a midblock for a more realistic IRL representation of a modern 9 in a 4-3-3. Difficult to get the same threat from wide players running in behind as your typical spearheading forward...but doable in a more patient style. Ended up playing w/out "counter" or "pass into space"and giving the individual players more aggressive Tis and Traits instead. 

I usually wait to go to a 4-3-3 until I have a competent 9 (complete physical profile, consistent). Otherwise I tend to stick to a striker pairing. On a higher lines system you have a lot of freedom to play around with different profiles/roles for one that suits your system best. F9 or Poacher are two I would consider (the former to draw defenders out of position for other players and the latter to double down on not being involved to serve solely as a finisher). 

Edited by Cloud9

On 30/04/2024 at 00:59, ElJuanvito said:

Hey guys.

Hello, I have achieved good results with the 433 formation and I like it very much. I will give you some advice. I started a new career at Wolves, with one transfer, I bought Lerager. The full-backs spread the game well, I use them as wingers. In midfield you can experiment as much as you want. I use BWMd - it's easier to find a good player for this position and I like how it helps my WB. BBM and MEZ because I play Gegenpressing and Pass Into Space so I need a lot of runners. It is important for the wingers to be supportive. I like Wsu on the right side and I put a left-footed player there, he plays like IW, but he stretches the game more by sticking to the sideline. PF is my favorite lone striker, I don't expect many goals from him, what matters is that he helps me press. This is my tactic, I have only played 6 matches, but the results are satisfactory.

https://ibb.co/swsJbyT

https://ibb.co/9c6kW53

Posted (edited)
On 30/04/2024 at 00:59, ElJuanvito said:

Hey guys.

I think he will get low ratings from bad stats in passing and jumping reach. Get a striker whos good at those too and it can be better. What's the stats of your striker?

Edited by Dreambuilder

However, the tactic I mentioned did not work, in December there was no win for over 8 matches. I will start again, I have a new idea for 433, I will share the tactics soon.

Most striker roles can work in a 433 within reason.

My current striker with Zaragoza is Ivan Azon and he is set up as a PFA. What you do around the striker and how you set the tactic up is massively important to how successful the role is, as is reading and reacting to what's happening in game. I will say that when it comes to 433 and playing as a primary goal scorer who doesnt drop deep I prefer a well rounded lone striker whose at least 6 foot, he can be 5ft 10 or higher if he excels in the air, I also will want to limit his weaknesses, for instance Ivan Azon can't dribble at a La Liga level so I will find a way to limit his chances to dribble which in this case was by changing his trait to running with the ball rarely. You need to take an overall approach to the set-up rather than just fixating on just the striker.

Hello, it worked!!!! After a lot of trial and error, I managed to get tactic 433 right. I started my career with Wolves, they have a young and quite weak squad. At the beginning I only bought Ismail Yuksek, in the winter transfer window I bought Soler, Bardhij and Seimen. I managed to take 5th place!! The game shows me that I have been promoted to the UEL, Liverpool won the UCL, I think I should play in the UCL next season, I don't know why the game shows like that. When it comes to tactics, it is very interesting, my players play very nice football, the defense is a bit weak but because I have weak defenders. See for yourself!!

https://ibb.co/prhNPxV

https://ibb.co/XSgcVJK

On 02/05/2024 at 07:25, Dr Naysay said:

Most striker roles can work in a 433 within reason.

My current striker with Zaragoza is Ivan Azon and he is set up as a PFA. What you do around the striker and how you set the tactic up is massively important to how successful the role is, as is reading and reacting to what's happening in game. I will say that when it comes to 433 and playing as a primary goal scorer who doesnt drop deep I prefer a well rounded lone striker whose at least 6 foot, he can be 5ft 10 or higher if he excels in the air, I also will want to limit his weaknesses, for instance Ivan Azon can't dribble at a La Liga level so I will find a way to limit his chances to dribble which in this case was by changing his trait to running with the ball rarely. You need to take an overall approach to the set-up rather than just fixating on just the striker.

Good points but the player height really does not matter in the simulation engine. It's all about the Jumping Reach. So what you mean is is having a striker who has at least 14 or 15 for Jumping Reach. Or even higher ideally.