How much do you guys trust the star ratings?

Hey guys

Just wondering what experienced FM pros make of a player like this guy - Viligiardi (picture hopefully pasted below).

For a player to be this good at age 20 you normally see them go on to be a champions league level player i.e. seriously good. In my save I'm a champions league winning club so 3 stars is a solid prem-level player, but I'm surprised to see the potential star rating this low.

Generally I'm spending more time lately tracking star ratings and find that a lot of 5-star 15 year olds are 3.5 stars at age 18 for example...with not much in the player's development to help explain why.

Generally how much do you guys trust the star ratings, especially around PA?

Cheers

image.thumb.png.58572897a0dfc9d64478e7920278a85d.png

Edited by squirrel_plays_fm

I pay little attention to it other than to get an idea of my first starting XI when I first take over a club whose players I don't know.

I've had many who have poor ratings who are consistantly brilliant for me. Once I've been at a club a while and know my squad I don't pay attention to the ratings anymore.

Don't pay any attention to it. If the player is good enough (because of his attributes) to fill role in my tactic, I don't care if he has 3 or 4 stars, ect. As long as he is the best choice for it.

Edited by crusadertsar

I am not even looking at them. What I am looking is Personality, Attributes, Media Handling Style (to get an overall picture about hidden attributes) and Coach Report (mostly about Injury Proness).

6 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Don't pay any attention to it. If the player is good enough (because of his attributes) to fill role in my tactic, I don't care if he has 3 or 4 stars, ect. As long as he is the best choice for it.

Agree entirely. Was thinking more about the potential rating i.e. when you're looking at a 17 year old and trying to figure out what they will be like at age 24

14 minutes ago, squirrel_plays_fm said:

Agree entirely. Was thinking more about the potential rating i.e. when you're looking at a 17 year old and trying to figure out what they will be like at age 24

The stars are influenced by the strength of your squad, so if a player who is 5 stars PA at 17 and ends up at 3.5 stars at 20 or whatever it's often times just a reflection of your squad getting stronger. Whichever coach you assign to do the ratings will impact this as well (just like a scouting report) and the players form fluctuates the star rating as well. You can also look at their market value once you sign them, as that's not dictated by your squads strength (there are pitfalls here as well, it spikes immediately after signing and will deteriorate as the contract winds down). 

I think you can look at a players PA as a general gauge of if they have space to improve or not, but I agree with what's been said here already... ignore the stars as much as possible and look at the attributes themselves. If a player fits your system he will play well. The player you feature for example, doesn't have a high star rating but he's got the attributes to be a goal scorer, he doesn't need 5 star potential to come off the bench and bang a couple in the back of net. Having different profile squad players is a big plus, and they don't have to be good at all aspects of the game to be useful in your squad. 

A high PA player who doesn't fit your system now is unlikely to do so in the future either. 

Edited by Cloud9

I trust them far more than I should and have to get around to downloading a skin that removes them altogether or something.

I know they're meaningless, but all those gold stars make me feel complete.

Star rating is not a decent formula, it's very hit-and-miss. The most annoying part about it is it changes for seemingly no reason up or down - it changes from when you scout them to when they turn up and then it changes during the season and at the start of the next season. The only thing I know for sure is when a player has a high potential, he won't improve unless I play him. This means if I won't play anyone under 3-star level then the 2 star level players with higher potential all have to go out on loan to a decent club. If that fails there is no point hanging on to them so I sell them.

But stars are less important for some duties, it's the attributes you need to look at, who cares if a 6ft 6in poacher can't cross, pass, tackle etc as long as he can head the ball and has decent strength and movement? If you want him to have 5 stars good luck with that one.

Star ratings for overall ability and potential have an error margin based on the ability of the staff assessing them.

Star ratings for position/role suitability do not, they are a formula using CA, position mastery and your club’s and the player’s reputation.

I posted at length about this in an earlier thread so rather than retype everything, you can read it here if you wish (there are 2-3 more posts after the linked one):

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/582148-should-the-star-system-be-revamped-for-fm25/?do=findComment&comment=14301823

15 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

Star ratings for overall ability and potential have an error margin based on the ability of the staff assessing them.

Star ratings for position/role suitability do not, they are a formula using CA, position mastery and your club’s and the player’s reputation.

I posted at length about this in an earlier thread so rather than retype everything, you can read it here if you wish (there are 2-3 more posts after the linked one):

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/582148-should-the-star-system-be-revamped-for-fm25/?do=findComment&comment=14301823

I would agree but staff don't always seem to be as good as the attributes show. I find a better way of seeing who are the best staff is to insert their "rating". Now I have no idea where these stars come from but if you go into staff, right-click the table title and choose insert, then scroll to general and choose "rating". You can then sort all the staff into their rating and see any weak points in your staff for find decent staff available. 

2 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

I would agree but staff don't always seem to be as good as the attributes show. I find a better way of seeing who are the best staff is to insert their "rating". Now I have no idea where these stars come from but if you go into staff, right-click the table title and choose insert, then scroll to general and choose "rating". You can then sort all the staff into their rating and see any weak points in your staff for find decent staff available. 

I am afraid that I don’t understand what point you are making here.

Staff are irrelevant for role/position stars. This is the point I keep trying to make. I’m not going to retype everything I put in the long posts in the other thread I linked to - if you are interested, read through those.

Ability/potential scores have a +/- error margin based on their ability. Role stars do not, they are a straight formula.

1 hour ago, NineCloudNine said:

I am afraid that I don’t understand what point you are making here.

Staff are irrelevant for role/position stars. This is the point I keep trying to make. I’m not going to retype everything I put in the long posts in the other thread I linked to - if you are interested, read through those.

Ability/potential scores have a +/- error margin based on their ability. Role stars do not, they are a straight formula.

Sorry, all I did was read your first line "Star ratings for overall ability and potential have an error margin based on the ability of the staff assessing them."

From that, I thought I would offer some insight into how people can find the rating of each staff member.

1 hour ago, Delicate Dave said:

Sorry, all I did was read your first line "Star ratings for overall ability and potential have an error margin based on the ability of the staff assessing them."

From that, I thought I would offer some insight into how people can find the rating of each staff member.

Gotcha! Understood now. 

FM24 is almost done, but in FM25, with the new engine, one of the plans is to test how reliable scouts are for PA. CA stars mean nothing, for that I check the attributes myself. But for trying to get youngsters with good PA, it  makes a huge difference.

It's easy to test, use the editor, show hidden attributes/pa, and let the scouts do their job, min maxing the scouts' stats and checking the difference. I remember in 23 there were scout reports putting 150 PA at the same level with 170 180 PA, I was too lazy to do a consistent test tho.