Need Help With Simeone's 5-3-2 Recreation

Hello everyone. As I mentioned in the heading I am trying to replicate this years' Simeone tactic in FM24. I think I have a good base but I am not very good at watching and analyzing tactics so I wanted to ask other Simeone fans like me. 

EkranAlnts.JPG.111baeec2ff0e85f6ca9169613438077.JPGs

The base tactic is like this but I could not manage to pick some roles. For example:

- For Griezmann role I am between the Treq, F9 and DLF-su. Currently I am using F9 with roam from position and move into channels and seems good.

- 3 midfield roles are the most hard to pick for me. Should I use CM or Mez or should I use BBM or BWM-su etc.

- I noticed that actually Atletico plays a high press often but it feels like wrong when replicating Simeone :). I thought that maybe I can switch to high press with positive mentality for easy games at home.

I am gladly waiting for your feedbacks and suggestions.

3 hours ago, Szellef said:

EkranAlnts.JPG.111baeec2ff0e85f6ca9169613438077.JPG

I am gladly waiting for your feedbacks and suggestions.

I would recommend a Poacher w/close down more instead of an AF for Morata. F9 suits Griezmann , but keep in mind Dybala is a traditional 10 not a pressing player attribute wise like Griezmann. 

I'd also consider utilizing DW's instead of WB's.

Edited by Cloud9

20 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I would recommend a Poacher w/close down more instead of an AF for Morata. F9 suits Griezmann , but keep in mind Dybala is a traditional 10 not a pressing player attribute wise like Griezmann. 

I'd also consider utilizing DW's instead of WB's.

How do defensive wingers behave in attack? Are they attacking the box more than WB?

10 hours ago, kennypavey said:

How do defensive wingers behave in attack? Are they attacking the box more than WB?

They get forward with decent end product!

5-3-2 is in a little bit of an awkward place at the moment in the ME (at least for me, particularly around some of the Positional Play changes) and the current configurations on the wingbacks and the two wide central defenders compared to what we see IRL is definitely part of that. I think it's difficult to replicate some of these modern, non-English 3 at the back systems like you see from Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan with how these roles perform. You could always go for an old Atletico 4-4-2 style.

I personally abandoned the back 3 I was putting together (although a 3-4-2-1 has a lot of potential w Positional Play) in favor of a 4-4-2. Back 4 systems offer a lot of flexibility which I found really useful in the tinker heavy ME this year.  

That's just my own experience messing around in game though and others may have found ways to get a 5-3-2 ticking well :) I do think the DW's are a better replication of what you'd see from an Atletico wingback in the ME than the traditional wingback role. 

Edited by Cloud9

UPDATE NO.1

So I did some tweaks to the tactic and tested it for a few games for the new season it is both good and bad and i will explain now what I mean by that.

taktikson.JPG.ae8475183d1b6540b8796b1b9429c1c6.JPG

The tactic you see above is the main tactic that I use most of the time and for the matches that we are clear favourites I switch to the tactic below.

taktikatak.JPG.bf163aaa6dd389deda968342f823d632.JPG

Now I want to show you the results for first 7 competitive matches.

masonuclar.JPG.14b0772bcd0928d48f8de7bc65d6144b.JPG

Now you can understand what I meant by both good and bad. We only conceded once. Which is great and the most important thing for this recreation. But we do not score either. We are highly under-performing our xG. I know that Moffi-Abraham rotation is not an elite striker rotation but they are not bad strikers I could not figure out why we are not scoring. I tried going balanced and direct passing or dropping down the tempo but it did not work out. Even if I selected the Focus Play Through The Middle Instruction, our attacks are mainly focused through wings and my wing backs become isolated very easily. To fix that I will change the attacking width to narrow and try for few games.

One another thing that caught my attention is that even if we are the defensively best team in the leauge until now, Our possession won, interceptions and blocks numbers are very low. I could not figure if this is a good thing or bad thing. I thought that it means we are not that aggresively defending but we are defending cleverly.

xgperf.JPG.a32f7a821346c690b167564f738ba0e8.JPG

Here is the general performance of the team if someone wonders. 

I really want to hear your opinions and suggestions if you have any.

Not sure if it's typical Simeone but you may be missing some penetration from midfield to support your F9. Do you want both wingbacks on attack? I think support is fine, also for your DLP. Then you get something like this:

AFat     F9su

MEZsu    CMat

(C)WBsu     DLPsu     (C)WBsu

WCBde  CDde  WCBde

SKde

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2024 at 05:58, Cloud9 said:

I do think the DW's are a better replication of what you'd see from an Atletico wingback in the ME than the traditional wingback role. 

Completely agree, I think almost all back three teams are better replicated using DW's or WM's. Wingbacks just don't get into the box enough/aren't dynamic enough. The issue I've had with DW's in the past is them not tracking their man and the flanks being open to counters - any tips on having success with them?

20 hours ago, jc577 said:

Completely agree, I think almost all back three teams are better replicated using DW's or WM's. Wingbacks just don't get into the box enough/aren't dynamic enough. The issue I've had with DW's in the past is them not tracking their man and the flanks being open to counters - any tips on having success with them?

I would look at the profile of the DW you're playing. If they're more traditional winger profiles they will struggle to deal with runs.

Concentration is an important attribute to look at if your defenders aren't tracking runners. 

Edited by Cloud9