Help with a 4-3-1-2

Hello everyone! 

I am currently playing a lower league save in Germany and I am using a 4-3-1-2. The problem I have is that I can't seem to get the roles/instructions right for this years version of the game. My team can't create as much or score goals. So far, most wins are coming from late goals. I am not sure if its because of the counter press or the lower tempo. 

Regarding the player instructions, I am trying to get the AM to play more like Sneijder from back in the day.

image.png.20ed56e2b6b6056b3a85a65f854738a4.pngimage.png.22fc37bab00c5ed6abd22eb79a716434.png

I would suggest having a read of the enigmatic 10 thread as it is centred around the 4-3-1-2 formation my own system is in there as well.  I suspect your problem is the 2 outside CMs both being roles which positionally rotate to the AM strata with the new positional play leaving you with little defensive cover and an overloaded central area (i.e. no space).  First thing I would do is swap the Mez for a support role that doesn't positionally rotate such as a CM-s, Car or BWM-s.  You could consider a Mez-s instead of the BBM on that side if you want to keep a Mez in the team.

A couple of additional observations:

Play out of defence and distribute to defenders seems odd to combine with 2xCDs. Could one at least be a BPD? Throw it long also seems to contradict that intention.

Far too many restrictive PIs. Dribble less and work ball into box are odd to combine with more expressive. I’d suggest removing all your PIs then slowly adding them back as needed.

Do you want to play through the midfield or down the flanks? The shape says through the middle, wide FB roles suggest flanks. The ME likes to use the flanks because there’s usually more space there, but if you want to direct play through your DLP and AM you have to force the game narrow. I play a similar 4-3-2-1 and use 2xFB-S and an AM-A.

Edited by NineCloudNine

I love these narrow formations, but they are a struggle in FM24. My thoughts:

1. You need at least one excellent attacking fullback, and preferably more since they will tire out and be injury prone. They need reasonable winger-like attributes or else your attack will be weak.
  2. At least one of your strikers should be great in the air. It really helps make the deliveries from the fullbacks more effective. Similarly, your strikers should have good quickness and anticipation to latch onto risky passes.
  3. I like using 3 DMs in this formation instead of 3 MCs. That allows me to use segundo volantes, which I find provides an optimal mix of defending and attacking threat.
  4. I find an AM(s) gets lost in the shuffle. I would much rather use an attack duty on the AMC and a support duty on one of the strikers. A DLF(s) helps link up everything.
  5. Better teams will kill you down the flanks. You might want an alternate formation for those matches.
  6. Work ball into the box is going to limit what your fullbacks can do in terms of crosses. They'll probably cycle possession, which isn't ideal for creating chances.
  7. In a two-striker formation, I would rather play higher tempo and use counterattacks. Lower tempo cancels out a lot of the advantage to having two guys starting that far forward in the first place.