My time at Torquay

Blarney

Cup Preview

cup4thqroundpreview.png.12b1a455e427d9fe7e1b7521f89b998d.png

You're playing Cheshunt in a FA Cup Qualifying Round match.  Is this an opportunity to get some players some rest and give some others a start?

Yeah, I think so.  We've had a pretty good run of games here lately and I have some players that could use a day off and others that definitely could use a start.

Cheshunt's manager, Phil Cope, has already said that he hopes to face you at full strength.  But it sounds like you have other plans.

I always felt the same when we were facing larger clubs, you want to test yourself with basically nothing on the table.  Nobody expects them to win, and I don't mean that as a slight, there have been plenty of times that we've been the minnow and nobody gave us a chance.  It's at times like that when you want the opposition at full strength because you want to go out there and battle.  So I don't blame him for what he wants, but I have to run my club how I feel it's best for us and right now I think we have some guys that need a rest.

Reports are that you're bringing up a new player from your U18 squad to start in this match.

Yes we are.  We have a young kid down there by the name of Paul Barlow...

barlowcalledupbeforefamatch.thumb.png.7aa100d30612cd10bc1e3de343eda26e.png

He is just 16 but we think he's just about done everything he can on the U18 squad and we're going to give him a shot in this match to see what he does.  Depending on how he looks it's possible we might give him a longer look on the senior club.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FA Cup

Fourth Round Qualifying

fa.thumb.png.cee76734759a8deb7250bf61ea7d04f0.png

So you did what you said you were going to do and rested most of your first eleven but still managed to get the win and advance.  A good day at the office?

Yeah, definitely.  Look it was an opportunity for us to allow some of our boys to catch their breath while giving other deserving players a start and they acquitted themselves nicely.  But, hey, credit to Cheshunt, they played a heck of a match and gave us all we wanted.

Match Thirteen

13.thumb.png.3e00f341e25fd7449c454fc1dbb612b5.png

Chesterfield is number 2 on the table, while you're number 3 and you just went to their home and gave them what can only be described as a beating.  You must be feeling confident right now?

It was a great match all around.  We definitely had a game plan coming in and we played it to perfection.  I'm very proud of my boys right now.  We are definitely seeing the benefits of some hard work in training and I think confidence is very high right now.

Posted (edited)

Match Sixteen

15.thumb.png.a06af5116881b65772f10d7188cefbdd.png

Okay, so by now everyone knows you're famously against the idea of moral victories... but this has to be a moral victory, right?  You went down a man one minute into this match.  You're 10 v 11 for basically the whole game and somehow you manage a draw.  Granted, it's not a win but that would make it an actual victory... and you have to be very satisfied with this result.

Yes, very satisfied.  Still not a moral victory.  Well maybe something of a moral victory.  I'm not going to take away from what the boys did out there.  It was an outstanding contest under relentless pressure being a man down.  We obviously couldn't get much going on the offensive end, 4 shots total... but they got off 18 and couldn't find the back of the net and that's due to a blockade that we just put up in front of goal.  I couldn't have asked for more.

Edited by Blarney

October in Review

Schedule

octsched.png.e544dba8d1ad5d4127999b8b2bedab41.png

After a loss to start the month we got a draw then 3 straight wins where we scored 3 goals each match.  The draw at the end of the month was hard fought and well deserved after going a man down early.  We also won our FA Cup Fourth Found Qualifying match.  So overall a good month.

Table

table.png.dff9058e78a3aa4612ee5587cea52075.png

We're right in the thick of things for a playoff spot.  Altrincham is sort of running away with the title but we've really come on strong the last couple of months.

NL Team Stats

teamstats.thumb.png.c48d7e6f85daef728a687cc2e0c01683.png

NL Player Stats

playerstats.thumb.png.bd35ad1c43686af4daab131f8a178403.png

Finances

finances.png.96264a944c0f5ace139907542293a711.png

A small gain is better than a small loss.

Match 14 (for real)

**I'm really sorry, I've been working so much -- lack of updates -- and have been so tired that I just realized that I misnumbered my last month's matches and left one out.  This is it.**

13.thumb.png.995b38464101b6ce5b3e7f453e287cf3.png

Match Seventeen

1.thumb.png.9e8b63d08c2bd0b74295356d87ed426b.png

Well I'll just come out and ask what went wrong?

Succinct, I like it.  Everything.  There's your answer.  Crawley was just better than us, at least for today.  They outplayed us in pretty much every facet of the game.  We were on our heels the whole match.  We did a good job of not letting them score -- just the one time obviously -- but 16 shots, 10 on target... you can only hold a team off for so long before they're going to get past you.  And on the offensive side of the ball we just didn't do our part.  The only thing we did was hold a better possession rate but holding the ball doesn't mean much if you don't do anything with it.

Match Nineteen

19.thumb.png.a7bb224cfe2c890f7ca4f9ca14517cf8.png

Two of your last three matches have been what can be described as defensive nightmares.  Granted you only gave up 1 against Crawley but you were on your heels - your words - the entire match.  In this encounter you actually only held Ebbsfleet to 8 shots but 3 of those went in... one on an own-goal.  You've been trying out a new formation but it seems that maybe it's not exactly going to plan at the moment.  Are changes needed?

I don't want to jump to conclusions after only just a couple/few games but right now what we're trying definitely isn't working.  We've been working on some other things in practice and you're probably going to see something different in our next match.

You doing this has inspired me to do a save of my own. I am moving to Birmingham in a few weeks so I decided to look at local football clubs and an interesting team come up in my search results.

Cadbury Athletic

download.jpg.71eb7a126ee42335982b333018fb3032.jpgdownload.jpg.10671c594b36e78eaa1d813ea2173002.jpg

Their ground is so beautiful. I have been past it a few times. So next season I will be going to watch Cadbury Athletic's games and doing a Youtube series with them. 

Cheers for the inspiration and I hope you continue to do well.

23 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

You doing this has inspired me to do a save of my own. I am moving to Birmingham in a few weeks so I decided to look at local football clubs and an interesting team come up in my search results.

Cadbury Athletic

download.jpg.71eb7a126ee42335982b333018fb3032.jpgdownload.jpg.10671c594b36e78eaa1d813ea2173002.jpg

Their ground is so beautiful. I have been past it a few times. So next season I will be going to watch Cadbury Athletic's games and doing a Youtube series with them. 

Cheers for the inspiration and I hope you continue to do well.

Thanks for the kind words and good luck with the save.  

FA Cup

Second Round

fa.thumb.png.5949081bf1e677290efa2112ee68bc35.png

I'm guessing you can't be that upset.  It was a good showing against a club that most predicted would walk away with a relatively easy victory here.

And that's why you play the game.  We had a good plan, we executed pretty well and we came up short.  I'm very proud of the boys though, they played a heck of a match out there and left it all on the pitch and that's what we expect from them.  I hope the supporters can see how hard they are trying and how we're getting better every time out there even if the results don't always show it.

November in Review

Schedule

novschedule.png.f14ab7c6e35ce31ff6fdc51df807062e.png

Other than our FA Cup First Round match we just couldn't buy a win this month.  Luckily we escaped with just the 2 losses in league play while finding our way to 4 draws.  It could have been worse, but it certainly wasn't good.

Table

table.png.3e73a9c2f609abb568bc57fc070313a7.png

Unfortunately our weak month has dropped us from the 3rd spot all the way to the 8th and out of playoff contention at the moment.

Gulls Attacking Stats

teamstats.png.19922535a9e65616170a35e7559faeaf.png

We're having a major problem up front.  We just aren't consistent and are not finding goals the way we should with the capabiility that I believe we have there.  Something just isn't working.  I've mixed and matched and moved people around but nothing really works at the moment.

Gulls Defending Stats

defnsivestats.png.afd4e647e54b7f06e96e6e1ec7131964.png

Defensively we've been much better.  We have some solid numbers up and down especially in tackles won and possession won.

Finances

finances.png.79fb2787061d952f68538234ed3b79a3.png

We made a litle bit but we continue to struggle financially.