Blarney

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FA Cup Third Round Preview

facuppreview.png.0d79a4df1e8f82d843c2f0dd28a12dcf.png

You're on what can only be considered a bad run of form lately.  You've won just 1 of your last 10 matches.  However, you've been pretty good in the FA Cup having defeated Queens Park in your last match and MK Dons before that, 2 clubs that most would have considered heavy favorites against you.  Can your run continue here against Sheffield United of the Premier League?

This is obviously going to be a very tough match and as you said we have not been playing well lately.  But if we can't get up for this then we might as well just pack it up and go home.  We're going to be in front of their supporters and it's an opportunity for my boys to play in a big match atmosphere in a large stadium that many have never played in before.  I can tell you we're not just going to lay down and give them a win.  We're going out with a fight, win or lose.

FA Cup Third Round

fa.thumb.png.1005411f7587bd918603143afc1edfad.png

So we already know you're not a fan of moral victories but you'd have to admit you acquitted yourselves pretty good out there today.

Yeah, I'm proud of the way my boys reacted in this match.  We've not had a good run here in the past month but we came to play and gave Sheffield everything they wanted, I think.  They got some good shots off but we held our own defensively.  Unfortunately on the other end we just couldn't get anything started but that was partly due to the fact that I knew we had to stay back a bit on the ball and play more cautiously.  I told the boys after the match that I was proud of the way they performed and they deserve praise from the supporters for how they played today.

It does put an end to your run in the FA Cup, disappointed?

No, not really.  Being honest we maybe beat Sheffield once in a hundred matches right now... some may argue that might not ever happen, some might say maybe we win a few more than that.  I am a fan of any given Sunday... but being real, they're just a far superior club at the moment, and so would anybody that we ran up against from this point on.  That's not taking away from my boys or how good I think we can play, but just facts on where we stand compared to the competition.  We've already proven we can hang with a couple of clubs above us but suggesting that we're going to consistently beat a Premier League club at this point, that's a big ask.  So no, I'm rather happy with what we've done rather than being disappointed.

Match Thirty

30.thumb.png.745babea4bbdb4c0268e1bd8429ec717.png

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like that before.  Down 3-0 with time running out and you go out and score 3 goals in stoppage time to somehow walk away with a draw.  Thoughts on what you just witnessed?

Don't pinch me.  I don't know how to explain it but maybe this is a turning point.  Maybe.  One can hope.  We just looked down and out for most of that match but somehow something just clicked there at the end and we just took over.  3 goals in 4 minutes, no I don't think I've ever seen that either.

Posted (edited)

Match Thirty-Two

32.thumb.png.7f94ad3ff562d61bf96075e08ec3f743.png

A Victory after 9 straight without a win must feel good.

It's definitely a step in the right direction but it's nothing if we don't back it up and continue to make improvements.

Edited by Blarney

Match Thirty-Three

33.thumb.png.568c10a9c0bbf8cc816164bf3df412e5.png

Is this one of those matches you take the good with the bad?

I'm not sure I agree with that.  Yes, I'm happy we broke out and scored a few goals but that doesn't make up for what we did on the other side of the ball.  Giving up 6 goals is never going to be acceptable no matter what we do.  Even if we had scored 7 and won I'm not going to look past giving up 6.  Just can't do it.

Match Thirty-Four

34.thumb.png.4519b85be72bb4ea7a93f6255f6a8333.png

You've given up 11 goals in the past 2 matches.  What's gone wrong?

Right now, everything.  I.. I can't make excuses for this.  It starts with me.  It starts at the top.  Whatever we are doing right now isn't working, so it's up to me to go back to the drawing board and find the right solution.  And then it's up to the boys to go out there and prove this isn't the real us.

January in Review

Schedule

jansched.png.abf17b94f92a0ec84daba70556ec942d.png

We thought the turning point was the victory we finally secured to end the non-winning streak.... and we were wrong as it only got worse.

Literally nothing is going right at the moment.

Table

table.png.671dfa027d6de299577e30651052502e.png

12 matches remain.  We are solidly mid-table.  We're 12 points from a playoff spot and 15 points from the drop-zone.  This is where we need to stay but with our recent form, I'm very concerned about continuing to drop down the table.

NL Team Stats

teamstats.thumb.png.8cf53e638a5cad14e2d0ec46c453b21b.png

NL Player Stats

playerstats.thumb.png.c34d6153faf4b7b48d6f7250f7ca74dc.png

Gulls Attacking Data

attack.png.af6f20f0d02d17462f2f750ad1b20b4a.png

Gulls Defending Data

defend.png.c7837eb5718b9c763433178bec4c38ca.png

Finances

finances.png.e84886578f45487e58aa1de4e96c7b42.png

At least we made a little cash this month.

And.... sold

andsold.png.d5c5c3ac31b454b601b47b675bbd8cb4.png

Well this could be good news.

well...thanks.png.660cc6e4527baf3d0ac5fb5dd4a9ed7d.png

And no.  Well thanks for taking the job.... and not putting any money into the club.  Awesome.

newboardculture.png.8d30dd4f199b7e0fc8f1ae2b9c19c78c.png

boardculture2.png.9ba226f6bdefac166f39bc8a4539eab4.png

Our goal is to stay in the National League.  I mean if that's what they want and it means I have a job, okay.

February in Review

Schedule

febsched.png.0f6cb7ced3cfb718ce0a07111269b8b7.png

What a great month coming down to clutch time.

We had really been sinking rather quickly and even though I thought we were probably going to stay safe, this month really helped that by pushing further away from the drop zone.

Table

table.png.acd8b899d663d1b87403d6945355d0ba.png

Only 7 matches remain and we can consider ourselves safe.  In fact there is really still an outside chance that we could continue to push ourselves up to a playoff spot.  If you ask me privately I'm going to say that would not be the best for us this season, we need another year of growth before we go up but publicly of course I'm all for it.  Let's do it!

NL Player Stats

playerstats.thumb.png.dfadd92ec7b17c868e5f149b6b6ff4bb.png

NL Team Stats

teamstats.thumb.png.66ef36a28c925fcd7153d5effdcaf896.png

Our possession has been good all season long.  I'd like that to continue.

Gulls Attacking Data

teamattack.png.21127482f1eb2ad418ba1e31cf73edc2.png

Gulls Defending Data

teamdefend.png.ffe505548d7cde73fc099ca5c70c641e.png

Financials

finances.png.65d94f7e7d85af536ce91c16c02e53cd.png

Torquay Weekly

Glass half full or half empty?  You've managed to escape a relegation battle but you've also just been eliminated from a playoff spot as well.  Which way are you taking it?

Oh I think escaping a relegation battle is more important for us right now.  A playoff spot would have been nice but I don't know that it was in the cards for this year anyway.  This year was all about growing as a club and avoiding going back down.  We've done that and more so I'm taking the season as a win.

You managed to make quite a few moves this season despite not having a lot of money.  Is that a source of pride for you?

It's my job... money or not.  We're very happy with what we've done though.

You had a takeover at the corporate level but it doesn't seem like much has changed.  How are things on your side?

Business as usual.  As you've said, nothing has really changed at the moment.  I would expect maybe to see something once the season is over.

Personal Diary

So another season - my 2nd in charge - has come and gone.  It obviously wasn't the success that the first was when we won the National League South and earned automatic promotion but it can't be considered a failure either because we did avoid relegation, which many picked us for in the preseason.

The funny thing is our 10 goal difference was actually better than Yeovil's who hold the final playoff spot but we were just a real Jeckyll and Hyde club all season long.  We actually were in the playoff hunt for a bit but then went on a very lengthy stretch where we just couldn't buy a victory.  At that point the pundits looked like they were right as we were free-falling on the table and on our way towards a relegation battle.

Luckily we turned that around - just enough - and were able to finish mid-table - better than 20 points clear of dropping.

What lies ahead?  As I said privately I'm not even mad that we will be back in the National League against next season.  This club really wasn't ready to take that next step.  We're very young and very much in need of growing within ourselves.  I think if we had somehow managed to go up this year we'd just come back down against next season so probably better just to stay where we're at for now and not get the expectations of the supporters up too much.  Hopefully most are happy with how we played the season out.

We had a few run-ins with some players that think they're better than they are or wanted starting spots when I was prepared to get it to them.  We'll probably have to shed some dead-weight and hopefully bring in a few more guys that can grow with us, but I doubt we'll make many moves.

I'm not sure about new ownership.  It was an internal takeover and no money was provided to the club to make any moves.

Honestly, really nothing was said at all.  They've been completely quiet since becoming new owners, other than to pretty much keep the same goals as we had before... which luckily for us just meant staying where we were at.  So I guess we'll see going into the next season if anything changes with expectations or on the financial side, as of now there hasn't even been a glimpse into what I will have to work with next year.

Regardless, that's out of my hands, I'll just keep doing what I can do until I'm told not too.

Here's to next season.

Budget

Well now we know that new ownership has no plans to spend money as there's very little change between last season's budget and this.

budget.png.1ab59e1138badc002df0b35a4f5f99b3.png

Expectations

boardculture.png.7244364639ee30283cec1acdbaad452e.png

We've been developing the youth systen, we need a little more help from the board to accomplish this.

We have been playing possession and high-tempo pressing football.

5yearplan.png.7c79d0acca6427d37e1d77eba573b42e.png

I'd like to think we're a little better next season than a mid-table finish, but we'll see how it plays out.

I need a new contract.

They want a top-half finish in the National League basically for the following 3 seasons after this and then a playoff appearance.

It's good they have no real expectations of advancing... but it's also bad they have no real expectations because that means they probably don't intend on doing much to compete.

Season 3 Predictions

Golden Boot

goldenboot.png.650cb6024ce8f8f80fa6caf828f5e119.png

Once again they don't really like any of my boys to lead the league in goals scored.  I can't really blame them, right now I have 4 different guys that might get time up front until someone really stands out, so deciding who will be the main guy.... might take a minute.

Top Player

topplayer.png.67211a4614ad9fc37e1810b6dfa4a66b.png

See above.

Standings

preview.png.5dfe6b145139b126b1900a524262474f.png

We're picked to finish about the same spot wee finished in last season.  I think we'll do a bit better.  Hopefully.

Match One

1.thumb.png.721f6ebbcee4d0b7973f569c56455a11.png

How good does it feel to come back in your opener after being down 0-1 after the first half?

It's nothing I don't think we deserved.  We had a great match, controlled possession, won a majority of our tackles so I couldn't be happier.

So 46-0?

Why not.  You can't get there without being 1-0.

Posted (edited)

Collins Gone

collinsgone.png.eb46911eaf93e80671e4c8344847c2db.png

Collins was a good player for us last season but became expendable with our youth movement and other pieces we acquired.  Besides, he said he wanted to go and I'm not going to stand in the way when I don't need the guy.  We also lost Adam Berry before the season started when another club came calling and offered his release fee of 250k to acquire him.

At least we're selling for profit.

We have several other players we're dangling out there hoping for hits so we'll see how the season goes.

Edited by Blarney

Match Four

4.thumb.png.7e98281625d01f919d27a1351c7ce5b5.png

Euan Pollock has gone 3 straight matches without a goal scored.  He came into this season as probably your number one choice at the forward position after coming off a good season last year.  He's even commented on it in post-game when asked about it and has vowed that he will score in the next match.  Has this become a distraction to the team?

No and I'm not worried about it either.  Euan is a good player going through a stretch that a lot of players go through.  If he had scored 10 times in 15 matches and then went 3 where he didn't in the middle of the season nobody would care.  It's just that he's started the season off slowly and as a club we've started off rather slowly in the goal scoring department so it's magnified.  He'll come through it and nobody on this club is concerned about it.

Match Five

5.thumb.png.fbe4e7b795e803b6d1c003f3730108de.png

That's 3 straight where your club has failed to score now.  4 in which your #1 forward, Euan Pollock, hasn't put one in as he remains goal-less on the season.  What's gone wrong?

Well, the flip side is that we're not allowing goals either.  So while one side is trying to figure things out, the other has been spectacular.  If that wasn't the case it would be much worse than it is right now.  Obviously we have some things to figure out.  That's not concern, it's just part of the job of... reconfiguring what we're doing and finding something that works.

You absolutely dominated the stats in this match.  More shots, more on target, a 70-30 possession advantage, over 90% of your passes were completed.  You did everything right but put it in the net.  I would imagine that's frustrating.

I would imagine you're right, but that's how the game goes at times.

August in Review

Schedule

august.png.70db926cea3ca8a4faf69d98859b90ec.png

2 good wins to start the month, followed by a loss against a good club, followed by 2 draws.

We didn't score in the last 3 matches.

Table

table.png.c95f1dd159188c34b4a2a64e8a60a3be.png

Still we find ourselves in the 7th spot on the table, mostly due to our outstanding defensive play to start the year.

NL Team Stats

teamstats.thumb.png.c12cecc3f56429398a631ac536d93545.png

Possession and pass completition are excellent as always.  Now we just need to find a way to put the ball in the net.

NL Player Stats

playerstats.thumb.png.f719c64656f0e19832161e424cca15ae.png

Finances

finances.png.42ba271b98c3813dcc4c8c4ffc7ef828.png

Made a little cash.  Finances are "okay" and the owners still won't spend anything to make things better.

Match Six

6.thumb.png.b1076981d8cecef0bbcffbb614ba681a.png

If it's possible to go from bad - where you've not scored in 3 straight matches - to worse... you've done it by not even getting a shot on target in this game.  When can the supporters expect to see some change?

I think we're approaching a time where something is going to have to be done, whether that's drastic or just mixing something up.  This certainly can't continue.  We did just sign Rumarm Burrell to try and do something different up front but it's a lot of pressure bringing in someone and telling them they have to be the savior.  Hopefully he'll provide just a small spark though going forward.

Match Seven

7.thumb.png.2979552ada69139f4608ebf1c91d739b.png

You've just beaten a team that was previously unbeaten in a pretty dominating fashion.  So is this the turning point for your club?

It could be.  Sometimes it just takes that little spark to start the fire.  We definitely deserved this.  We definitely put on a performance.  Now it's just up to the boys to go out there and make it a streak rather than a one off thing.

Posted (edited)

Match Eight

8.thumb.png.1eead48ff123509ffb12670aace0f378.png

That's 2 in a row now.  You must be feeling more confident with each win.

I'm not going to get ahead of myself.  We won 2 at the start of the season and then all of a sudden couldn't get out of our own way.  I think we've learned from that and our last 2 matches have been pretty dominant.  There's definitely more joy in the changing room.  But we can't just sit back and expect this to continue, we have to work hard each time out.

Edited by Blarney

New Contract

contract.png.d0f34108dbb36d2dfea4d2ed1668c3ba.png

Are you happy you've got the new deal done and will be with the club for the next 2 seasons?

Absolutely.  This story isn't finished yet and we have much to do.  I'm just glad we got this done and it's one thing I don't have to worry about going forward.

Some supporters have expressed their doubts and have said that the club doesn't seem to be improving.  They've said they think you've gone as far as you can and it's time for new leadership to take the club to the next level.  How do you respond to that?

I would respectfully disagree with that but at the same time respect the opinions of supporters who care for this club to have a passionate opinion one way or the other.  That is what this club is about.  When I came here it was for 2 reasons.  One was to build this club up to a level I have always thought they should be at and the other reason was to increase support for the club through our fans.  Without them we are nothing.  So I am happy to listen to what they have to say but in this I think we have absolutely made progress and we are making progress this season as well.  I would ask for a bit of patience, which I know has been a theme with this club through the past many years... but this is me asking.  Give my boys a little time and we're going to make believers of everyone.  This is a promise.

Match Ten

10.thumb.png.fc438a834f0b9545f666d3399ec67829.png

You went out and put on quite the show for the home supporters just a day after signing your new contract.  Thoughts on the match?

I didn't do anything, credit goes to the lads on the pitch.  But yes, it was quite the performance.

So yesterday you preached patience and said you thought the club was improving right before our eyes.  Today you go out and put on a brilliant perofrmance for those supporters that may have questioned whether or not you deserved that new contract.  You know where I'm going with this.

No, it's not vindication and it doesn't matter in the scheme of things.  We could go out and lose the next 3... not that that's the plan obviously.  I do think we're improving and you can see that on the pitch daily.  Our training has been excellent.  Some of our new signings have really stepped up.  After a year of being in the National League some of our younger players from last season have really grown and are much better players this season.  So yes I think we're getting better but that doesn't mean we're just going to stop now.  There is too much to do and to prove and the boys know that.

September in Review

Schedule

septsched.png.8e56696916ec4eabbeb14c40df033634.png

That's the way to finish a month.  4 straight league victories and 2 or more goals scored in each one.

Table

table.png.b80d574d5016f8c905a283c46e9c56a1.png

A 4 win, 1 loss month vaults us right up the table and we're sitting in the #3 spot currently.

NL Team Stats

teamstats.thumb.png.7615e5eba542124208b9562884a77d57.png

NL Player Stats

playerstats.thumb.png.d6c2ce309dda6fee32847d7d989840d4.png

Finances

finances.png.9fbe99f0173bf4ff1aa21406c8e23288.png

We're still losing money, but it's manageable.