My time at Torquay

Blarney

I think I first fell in love with Torquay when I was 11-years old.

I had visited the town twice before, once when I was 6 and then again at 8-years old.  But seeing it at 11 was a game changer for me.  I think I appreciated the charm, the beauty, the beach more at that time than I had before when I was "younger."

That was also the last time I visited with my great-grandma... who passed away just 3 months later.

Grammy (don't laugh, it's what I called her) was from Torquay, born and raised.  She was a nurse during WW2 and was stationed at Torquay caring for those that were evacuated from London during the terrible bombings there.  My great-grandpa (papa) was in the American military and had come to Torquay before the invasion of Normandy along with several thousand of his best friends.  As the story goes they met and fell in love before he left to go fight in Normandy... only to return after the war was over and rekindle their relationship.  They ended up moving back to California - where papa was from - and eventually they were married.

England and Torquay were still deep in grammy's heart though and her and papa made annual trips back to her home to visit family and friends.  These visits turned into a family affair when they had kids and then grandchildren and eventually great-grandchildren.  The last visit with her was especially tough on my grandpa and dad.  Grammy was very sick and she knew that she didn't have much time left but they made the pilgrimage back to Torquay because she wanted to see the town and the English coast one last time.  Papa had already passed away a year before so it was just grammy, grandpa, dad and myself that went this time.  Grammy brought papa's ashes with her and she had grandpa spread them out on the sand on the beach where they had met back in 1944.  It was obviously a pretty mellow affair, mostly just time spent on the beach and driving around the town and the coast and her saying goodbye.  The rest of the time her and I spent a lot of time talking about her life there when she was younger and her meeting papa and the all the things she loved about her old home.

We had had these talks before obviously but I think I paid more attention this time than before, including to the surroundings.  Where my family lived in Los Angeles was beautiful and we were close to the beach but it was nothing like the beauty here in Torquay.  There was a serenity here, a peace, a quiet... it was easy to see why grammy loved coming back here.  Things here definitely moved at a much... much slower pace than back home.

Gramps (my grandpa), my dad and I made another trip back to Torquay the year after grammy passed away and spread her ashes on the same beach that we had spread papa's the year before.

On that trip we decided to do something else that grammy loved.

We took in a football match... the first "professional" one I had ever attended.

I played back home.  A lot of kids did back home.  Summer leagues, school... it was just another sport to play to pass the time.  Grammy had a passion for the sport though.  She talked about it a lot.  Her father had played for Torquay United -- the local club -- back in the 1930's.  His name was Albert Hutchinson and he was something of a legend for Torquay having made over 300 appearances and scoring 84 goals which put him top 10 all-time for the club.  Pretty impressive.  She talked about it a lot.  She was very proud of her father, rightfully so, and never lost her passion for her favorite club, Torquay.  I liked the game... I wouldn't say I loved it at first.  I'll admit like most Americans I was more fond of Baseball or American Football for a time.... but grammy kept insisting that I learn the game and give it a chance and I grew to actually enjoy playing.

Truth-be-told once she passed I think I actually started really giving the game a chance.  Up until that time it was something to just pass the time, a sport to play.  We do that a lot in America.... just do things to do them, not necessarily because we're very good at it or even really like it.  But eventually I became not half-bad at it once I really gave it a chance.  Not that that made me great, because it didn't... but I was good enough to earn a scholarship to play at Stanford, and start for 3 years there.  I did learn one thing while I played in college... I actually enjoyed the behind the scenes or sideline stuff as much as I did actually playing the game.  I got very involved in stategy and tactics and all the things that grammy used to talk to me about because it's what she grew up on.  It's what her father taught her.  She used to tell me that you can put the very best men or women on the pitch and tell them to go play and play well they probably will.... but if you don't have a plan of attack to start with, if you haven't trained, if you don't work together... you're not going to get very far.

I took that to heart and studied very hard and ended up getting my degree in sports science and management.

You see, as much as I liked the game and I was good enough to play in college.......... it was never going to be a career.  I knew that much so I made other plans.  I'm not really quite sure what they were, I just knew I loved the sport and wanted to do something in it after my college career was over.

Little did I know at that time where I would actually end up.

Edited by Blarney

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After my last semester in college and earning my degree I decided to take a little time off to find myself.  Seems a weird thing to say since I had just spent 4 years in school to do just that, but it's what it was.  I knew that playing football was not going to be in my cards.... and trying to find a job as a newly minted graduate with a nice shiny diploma that said I knew the sport wasn't exactly going to be easy.  I was just as likely to be hired as a towel-boy by any professional club as I was anything with any meaning, but I was ready to start at the beginning and earn my way up if that's what it took.  Or maybe I would just go back to Fullerton and ask for a job there, I got along well with coach.  Maybe starting in college would get me the experience I needed to at least get a decent job in the pros.

But I wasn't ready for either of those paths yet.  I wanted one final vacation before deciding which direction to go.  A little time to myself.

And so I headed back to Torquay.

Well sort of.  I actually flew into Edinburgh first.  Edinburgh is probably my 2nd favorite city in the UK and I wanted to spend a few days there resting and relaxing and seeing some sights.  After that I drove South and spent a couple of days in the countryside.  I eventually made it to Manchester and spent a couple of days there and then made a little detour to Wrexham...... because why not.  It was worth seeing the town even if the English Football League was on their break and not playing at the time.  At least I could say I saw the stadium.  Eventually I continued South again and drove through Bristol then Exeter and finally got to Torquay.

It was evening when I arrived and I was hungry so I stopped at The Hole In the Wall..... yes, that's actually the name of the establishment.  I decided to sit at the bar since it wasn't overly busy at the time and I ordered myself something to eat and drink.  There were only 2 other people sitting at the bar at the time, one older gentleman - maybe in his 60's - who looked like he was having a bad year - not just a bad day - and a woman - 30's maybe - who looked like she wanted to be left alone while she finished her drink.  I smiled at both warmly when they looked up at me, the woman quickly going back to her drink as a way of letting me know she didn't want company.  The older gentleman attempted a smile back - I think - but obviously was lost elsewhere in his thoughts.

"All good, mate," I offered in my best English fashion with American accent.  

"I've had better days," he offered back.  "American?"

I smiled, "Yeah, don't hold it against me."  I've come to learn that many in England have a love-hate relationship with Americans and honestly I can't blame them with the way some act, especially while on vacation.

"What's brought you to Torquay?"

"Contemplation," I replied, which earned me a curious glance.  I laughed a bit.  "Just finished college and am taking a bit of time off to contemplate my future."

"Strange place for that.  Would think London or something.  How did you settle on our little town?"

"Not my first time here truthfully.  Actually have family here... distant.  Long story.  World War 2... American serviceman falls for pretty English lass... love affair... soul mates... marriage... kids... grandkids... lots of vacations back home here in Torquay.  I almost consider myself a Torquayan.  Is that a thing?  I've never actually asked."  The man gave me a strange look and I realized that I was acting very American at that point.  "Short answer is I wanted to come back to where I felt the most comfortable away from home."

The man gave me a little smile - again, I think - at that point.

I decided to change the subject... not that the gentleman had given me any indication that he wanted to continue any conversation - but like I said..... I'm an American.  "Football fan?"

He shot me another weird look.  "Yeah."

"Torquay United, I assume?  Bad season, sorry to see them drop."  For those that didn't know Torquay finished the 2022/23 season in 21st place in the National League and were relegated to the National League South for the upcoming season.

"Yeah.  You follow Torquay?"  He seemed utterly amazed.

"Yeah.  You could say it was a passion of my great-grandmothers.  Her father actually played for the club back in the 1930's.  Sort of a legend of the club actually.  She was a supporter her whole life and  I guess I sort of became one as well.  She's where I found my passion for the game.  In fact I went to college on a football scholarship and earned my degree in sports science all because of her."  For some reason this seemed to earn more interest from him than anything else I had said.

"So what do you think went wrong?" he asked.

Strange but at least we were carrying on a conversation now.  "I mean I hate to be that guy but it starts at the top.  Management has failed this club.  4 seasons in the National League.  I realize that the manager was in charge when they were promoted from the National League South but sports is a what have you done for me lately thing.  Having a long leash is one thing, it's good to see ownership give a guy a chance to prove himself but after 4 seasons of mostly losing... one playoff appearance, I think that leash has been long enough.  In fact I would have fired the manager last year.  Beyond that," because I'm sure he wanted me to carry on, "the players look lost.  I don't know if there's a lack of direction or disconnect from training but the play on the pitch... it's just not good.  Granted they could use some better players but they have a decent core group... they just don't play well together."

"And what about ownership, surely they have to take some fault in this?"

"It's easy to pick on ownership.  It's easy for an outsider to say that an owner should throw more money at the club and then more money and then more money... and sometimes that might be accurate.  Sometimes maybe more money is needed, sometimes you just have to go out and get a player and need ownerhsip to step up and make it happen.  But if there's one thing I know about these smaller clubs, there's generally just not that much money to throw around.  It's symptomatic of English Football in the lower leagues.  Not every owner is Ryan Reynolds and willing to lose millions... or has the financial backing to do that.  That doesn't excuse ownership by any means.  If they're not willing to do what's needed to at least keep their team afloat, then just let it go."

"So if you were in charge of Torquay.... what changes would you make?"

"That's a difficult question to answer being on the outside looking in.  I have no idea their operating budget or contracts on players or valuation of players."

"Just in general."

It seemed I had opened a can of worms with this conversation, but I was happy to oblige, I liked talking football and it gave me something to do to pass the time while I ate.  "Okay so from the outside looking in I would say again there seems to be a decent young core group of players.  My first priority would be making sure they were getting the playing time they needed for their growth.  To me, as a small market club, especially in the lower leagues, your first priority is youth.  They typically aren't going to cost you as much to have on the club as an older player... and they have the opportunity to grow and eventually get sold for profit.  You probably don't have as much opportunity with an older player to do the same thing.  So play the kids.  Of course that also means you have to find the kids first.... and you have to train them second.  So you need good recruitment and you need adequate facilities to train in.  The next thing I'm focusing on is training.  My grammy always told me that everything that happened during a game started with training.  It's very difficult to play a good game if you haven't had good training.  So that's second.  And third, I'm focusing on attack.  I know there are 2 phases to the game... attacking and defending... and both may be equally important, but attacking is the most important.  You can defend all day long and shut every opponent out but if you don't score all you're getting is a point.  So while I'm not saying that defending is unimportant... you have to be able to attack.  And with that attack comes preparation from your training and fitness from your training.  It all comes together."

"How old are you?  You said you just finished college?"

"22."

"And you're looking for a job?"

"That's the plan.  I'm thinking either seeing what I can find with some MLS club or associate back in the states or maybe starting my career in college - probably with Stanford where I went to school."

"What are you wanting to do?  Manage or work in the backroom?"

"At this point whatever I'm offered," I laughed in reply.  "I'm 22.  I'm not exacty picky at this point.  I mean at some point I think I'd like to try my hand at managing but maybe something to do with analytics or coaching wouldn't be a bad start."

"How long are you in town?"

Odd question.  "I'll be here a few days."

"Want to meet back here tomorrow night?  I'll make it worth your time."

Even more odd, but I was intrigued.  "Yeah I can make that happen.  Have to eat anyway."

"What's your name?  I'm Clarke," he reached out his hand.

"Britton," I replied.

"Good to meet you, Britton.  I'll see you here same time tomorrow."

"Nice to meet you as well, Clarke.  I'll be here."

Edited by Blarney

Love it! I really enjoy the story background and the way this is starting as it is a very different twist to the standard approach of sharing the career journey. I hope you keep it up.

18 hours ago, mpm2342 said:

Love it! I really enjoy the story background and the way this is starting as it is a very different twist to the standard approach of sharing the career journey. I hope you keep it up.

Really appreciate that and yes it will be continued, just been busy at work but I'll get back to it within the next day.  I have a tendency to write a lot in my saves because I tend to do it as I'm taking on the persona of the manager.  I also have a tendency to try to make it "realistic" inasmuch as having some back-story and tying some truth to the fantasy.

After that strange conversation I had at the bar, I went back to my hotel room and closed my eyes for some much needed sleep.  I awoke pretty early the next day, got up, showered and decided to grab an early breakfast and then go for a walk on the beach.  The rest of the day I spent meandering around town, doing a little window shopping and grabbing a quick bite for lunch.

I ended up back on the beach where we had spread grammy's and papa's ashes years ago and sat down as though looking for a little inspiration from their spirits.  I sat there for a good long while just listening to the waves crashing against the sand and watching some kids playing football on the sand, while others just enjoyed the warm summer day (warm being a relative term compared to summer in America.)  Eventually it was time to make my way back to the bar and see if the strange gentleman I was chatting with last night was there and what he meant by making it worth my time.

When I arrived the bar was busier than it had been the night before and it took me a second to find Clarke, who was sitting in a corner booth at the back of the bar tonight.  He waved me over as he saw me and I approached him and shook the hand which he had extended.

"I'm glad you could make it," he offered.

"Who wouldn't be tempted by an offer of making it worth my time," I laughed back.

He smiled - almost a real smile compared to how he looked last night.  "You said you played football in college?"

"Yes, Stanford."

"Any good?"

"In college terms, good enough.  Not good enough to make a pro team or at least stick with one.  Besides I learned my real passion was more teaching.  The team itself was good, at least good enough to make the NCAA Tournament 2 of the 3 years that I was a starter there.  Unfortunately we were knocked out in the 3rd round both of those years so I never go the chance to play in a final.  It was fun though, had a good time, learned a lot from coach."

"So your ultimate goal is to manage a football team at some point?"

"Ultimately, yes."

"Are you wanting to stay in America or would you consider opportunities elsewhere?"

This was really getting weird.  I gave a small laugh.  "I love football but America hasn't quite become a football country yet.  We're getting there and when we do watch out... but for now it's very secondary to the other major sports.  That being said let's be honest, England is the center of the football world and if there ever came an opportunity to come here and manage a club, that would be hard to pass up."

He seemed to glare even more intently at me.  "So Premier League or nothing?"

I gave out a loud laugh at that.  "I'm a long ways away from managing a Premier League club, heck I'm probably a long ways away from managing anything other than some small local college club or small town club back in the states."

"Or small local club here in England?"

"Way down the food chain."

"Tier 6?"

I gave him a strange look.  "May I ask what this is all about.  No offense but it's getting a little odd for a conversation between 2 strangers."

He looked at me for a minute before responding.  "I'm Clarke Osborne.  I own Torquay United and tomorrow I'm sacking Gary Johnson and I need a new manager.  I think you're the guy for the job."

I laughed, like seriously laughed.  "Oh that's good.  Man you English and your wry sense of humor.  You got me on this one."

He just looked at me.  "I'm quite serious."

"Right, a real Ted Lasso scenario."

"There are some things you should know.  I purchased the club back in 2016 with some big plans for building a new stadium and commercial facility as an investment.  We are sitting here 7 years later and I'm no closer to making that happen.  As you said yesterday the results on the pitch have not been good either and we need a new direction.  Plans were already in place to let Gary go, that has nothing to do with our chance encounter.  But it's given me an opportunity to hire a new manager that I think has what it takes to lead the club in a new direction.  You should also know that we're not in good shape.  All the years of losing have cost me a lot of money and I'm not prepared to continue to throw money at a sinking ship.  It's going to be hard work to right what's wrong here and it will have to be done on a strict budget.  On top of that the players attitudes are going to have to be dealt with and you'll have to win over the supporters that feel the club isn't living up to what we should be either.  This will be far from a dream job."

"So.... Ted Lasso.  You're seriously Clarke Osborne?  This isn't a joke?  You're offering me a job to manage Torquay United?  Why?"

"I liked everything you had to say last night.  You're young, I get it, the media and the supporters are going to question it.  You're going to get a lot of backlash and people won't think you're ready... and maybe you're not.  You'll have to prove you are.  But in terms of knowledge, in terms of desire... that's obviously there.  Besides, we're in Tier 6, we're not in the Football League and we're not some big club.  Who says I can't give an opportunity to a 22-year old that I think has a bright future?  I own the club."

This had to be a joke, right?  A chance meeting with the owner of the local club and a conversation between 2 strangers leads to him offering me a job as the manager.  This sounds more like some crazy Football Manager save - yes I play, great game.  Or something written on tv..... that's been done.  Could I actually manage Torquay United?  No.  Absolutely not.  I'm not ready for that.  Wait, I was always told to believe in myself first or nobody else would believe in me.  Maybe I could.  That sounds like some more Hollywood stuff.  I'm 22.  I just graduated.  But he's right... this is Tier 6... it's not even Football League.  Why couldn't a 22-year old take the reigns and lead a small club from the darkness and back to the Football League?  That could be me, I could be that guy.  And an opportunity to manage my grammy's hometown club.... crazy.  

He seemed to sense I was having a conversation with myself.  "I don't need an answer tonight, but in the next day or 2 would be helpful since I am letting Gary go tomorrow and would need to start a search for my new manager if you didn't accept the job.  Can you do that?"

"Yes, absolutely.  It's just a lot to take in Mr. Osborne."

"It's Clarke."

"Certainly, Clarke.  Yes, I can give you an answer in the next couple of days."

"Good, think about everything I said.  You'll have a tight budget and a lot of work will need to be done to fix things.  I think you can do it, but you have to understand the circumstances."

"Absolutely.  I get it."

He extended his hand as he stood up.  "I look forward to your response then."

I took his hand and shook it.  "I look forward to giving you my response."  

And he left as I sat there deep, deep in thought.  

Crazy.... this was absolutely crazy.

Edited by Blarney

Out of Character

Let's put some context to the story so far.

Clarke Osborne has obviously just put the Gulls into Administration.

Clarke Osbone to most Torquay fans is a villain.  I am in no way trying to make him sound like a good guy.

He was a villain to most before he even took over at Torquay due to past business dealings.

His plans to build a new stadium and commercial facility was laughed at by most because his plans weren't even close to being realistic.  Most people think he has been involved in some really shady dealings since taking over at Torquay.

However we're going back obviously to the start of the season where he's still in charge and we'll see how it plays out in FM.

The club - in game - is in financial crisis with no budget to speak of, so at least that's realistic.

Edited by Blarney

Ted Lasso references, we gonna get wan*er chants or is not gonna happen, I am keen to see how you've got the fans reacting although it defo won't be positive. love the story so far mate!

Edited by Vakama2619
Censors

hired.png.73761c039435b6640fc03a0a273b8d54.png

Surprise..... I took the job.

It'd be a very short story otherwise.

And the media and fans are already having a grand time with it.

Social Media Clippings

The#1GullsFan:  This is a joke, right? We hired Ted Lasso? Will someone pinch me please, I need to wake up.

LeeForTorquayFC:  So it's not enough to bankrupt the club, now Osborne wants to just completely destroy it from the inside also.

#TUFCforMe:  So this is what they mean by saying the quiet part out loud, because now it's just obvious that Osborne is completely nuts.

FrankOnFootball:  2 guys walk into a bar and one walks out a football manager....... 

LassoForPrimeMinister:  I've never been more proud!

DuncanFromTorbay:  Come on lads, give him a chance!  Nope, I can't even type it without laughing out loud.

YellowArmyWarrior:  Osborne did one thing right, he sacked that @#$#$@% Johnson.... but that's the only thing he did right.

NothingMellowBoutYellow:  What?  Who?  Why?

FireGaryJohnsonNow:  Guess it's time to retire this tag and change to FireBrittonOByrneNow.

SlowDownAndSmellTheYellow:  I'm just going to say it...... W@NKER!!!

The Media

Torquay Talk:  We have been as hard on Clarke Osborne as anybody in the media.  Even we couldn't have imagined a day like this.  Clarke meets an American - by chance - at a local bar and ends up offering him a job.  All Ted Lasso references aside.... this isn't funny.  This is our football club and Clarke Oborne repeatedly has shown what can only be called disdain for the supporters of the club or a wilful lack of comprehension on what it takes to run a club.  He has been involved in sneaky, shady dealings at other clubs and his "vision" for our own is nothing less than ridiculous.  It can't be considered realistic.  It's time for Clarke Osborne to step down and find someone that actually cares for this town and this club.

Torbay Weekly:  We don't know whether to laugh or cry or laugh and cry but we're sure there's something both funny and sad about what's going on with Torquay United.

BBC Sport:  Gary Johnson is out, which most supporters will applaud.  In his place a young 22-year old from America (yes honestly) takes the reigns, who has no managerial or coaching experience at all.  He played football though... and somehow that's supposed to make it all okay.  We truly can't wait until he's introduced to the media.  Really, we can't.

Edited by Blarney

Britton Meets the Press

Ian Castle (Press Secretary):  "Hello ladies and gentlemen.  Well we certainly have a packed house today with members of the press and some key supporters that were invited.  We'll be starting shortly.  Clarke Osborne will make the introductions and then Britton O'Byrne will speak and you'll have an opportunity for a few questions.  Please try to stay on topic for today if you can, this is about a new direction for the club and we'd like to keep it positive."  Clarke Osborne and Britton O'Byrne enter the room.  "Ladies and gentlemen the Chairman of Torquay United, Clarke Osborne."

Clarke Osborne (Chairman):   "Hello everyone.  As you know I'm not exactly the best at these meetings which is why I generally leave day-to-day up to George Edwards - my Chief Executive Officer - but today is special.  Today is a turning point for the club.  Today we turn from the past and we look to the future.  When I purchased Torquay United 7 years ago I had a plan to build this club. We wanted to build a nice new stadium, event center and commercial facility.  It was to be a destination for supporters.  Those plans haven't come to fruition and our play on the pitch hasn't been good enough.  We want to thank Gary Johnson for everything he did while in charge of the Gulls but it was time to turn the page and go in a different direction.  So today we want to introduce Britton O'Byrne as our new manager.  Britton is a young, bright, energetic individual with the right ideas and the passion to take this club where we've wanted it to go for the past 7 years.  This day is about him so I don't want to take up much time, I want him to speak and after listening to him and asking your questions I'm sure you'll see exactly what I did after talking to him myself.  So here's Britton."

Britton O'Byrne (playing the part of Ted Lasso):  *smiles warmly* "Hello everyone; media, supporters and those here to make Ted Lasso references."  There were a couple of low murmurs in the crowd.  "So now that we got that out of the way, I want you all to know that I don't think any of this is actually a joke, but the references won't be avoided so I might as well just hit them head on.  I know what's being said, I can hear and I can read so I figured it's just best to get it out of the way as soon as possible."

Unidentified person in the room:  *cough* "W@nker!" *cough*  Some low laughs from others filled the room.

Britton O'Byrne:  "Fair enough.  I assumed that was coming.  So here it is.  I'm an American and I'm going to be taking over at Torquay United.  A real life Ted Lasso.  Except I've played this game.  I know this game.  No, I haven't managed, nor have I even coached.  I don't have that experience and it's experience that I probably should have... especially for a Football League team."  *pauses for effect*  "Oh wait, Torquay isn't in the Football League... in fact they're not even in the 5th tier.  They're in the National League South... the 6th tier of the English Football Pyramid.  They're basically one step away from being pretty much irrelevant... if they're not already."  *pauses again*  "Am I making you mad?  I'm talking to the supporters now.  Am I saying something that's wrong?  Have I got it all backward?  Is Torquay heading in the right direction?  Are your dreams of getting back into the Football League being realized or even on your horizon at the moment?"  *pauses yet again*  "No?  I didn't think so.  So be mad.  You should be.  I have been, because guess what... I'm a supporter also.  My great-grandmother was from Torquay.  Her father, my great-great-grandfather, was Albert Hutchinson... a Torquay legend.  Now that has no bearing on whether I'm qualified to be a manager or not, I'm not saying it to suggest otherwise... but it goes to show that my heart is with this town and with this club.  I have been visiting Torquay since I was a kid, first with my grammy - it's what I called her, no judgement - and then with my grandfather and dad.  I've been here a dozen times.  That doesn't make me one of you but it also doesn't make me a complete outsider.  I know the town.  I know the passion of the Yellow Army.  I know that you go out there every single match and you support this club with blood, sweat and tears no matter what level of football they're playing.  And I know that right now you're all not happy.  So this is what I ask.  Laugh all you want, make your references, have fun with it.... but do not think - let me say that again - do not think that I am not here to try and make it better.  I'll take questions now."

There was an actual pause in the room.

Jason Whitmore (Torquay Herald Express):  Hello, Ted Lasso.... sorry, Britton."

Britton:  "I'll accept it."

Jason Whitmore:  *laughs*  "Well at least you seem to have a sense of humor.  I'm Jason Whitmore from the Torquay Herald Express.  I'll give you one thing, that was a pretty decent introduction.  I almost feel bad having to do this now as you do seem to have at least the passion for the job and for the town.  But a lot of people have that passion for both and would be immensely more qualified for the job.  So I have to ask, with apologies up front, what in the world makes you think you can do this with zero experience?"

Britton:  "So we're going to play hardball off the bat?  Excellent.  I like the more direct approach.  Ummm, I don't know is the answer.  Here's the thing, you're going to get the truth from me and sometimes people don't want the truth.  They want it all shiny and perfect and make-believe.  So even when they say - give me the truth - it ain't what they want at all.  That happens a lot in sports.  I'm supposed to sit here and give you exactly the answer you want... cliches and all.  I'm supposed to tell you that I'm absolutely, positively, without-a-doubt in the world ready for this and have no concerns whatsoever.  Don't believe it.  Don't believe it from anybody.  So that's the truth... part one of it at least.  Part two is that it doesn't matter if I have doubts or concerns.  Put pretty much anybody in this situation and they're a robot if they don't.  Doubts and concerns don't mean you can't do something, it just means you're human.  It's sort of like fear.  You hear people say they're not afraid of anything and generally that's a lie.  But being afraid of something doens't mean you can't do it, it just makes you more aware.  It makes you more in the moment."  *pauses*  "This has been a really long answer to your question so let me shorten it up and make it simple for you to print.  I have absolutely no idea if I can do this because I haven't done it.  You can print that.  You can also print.  Just because I don't know that I can... doesn't mean I don't believe I can.  There is a difference.  It also doesn't mean that I won't give absolutely everything I have to do it."

Unidentified person in the room:  "W@anker!"

There were actually a few groans mixed in with the laughs this time.

Roger Dearling (Torbay Weekly):  "Roger Dearling, Torbay Weekly."

Britton:  "Good to meet you, Roger.  How can I help?"

Roger:  "So forgive the history lesson but supporters will be curious.  You are 22-years old.  You played football - soccer as it's called in America - for Stanford University.  You graduated with a degree in sports science.  You came over here for a vacation after you graduated and met Clarke Osborne in a bar by chance and through just a conversation managed to become the new gaffer for an English football club.  You Americans sure do like your fantasy stories.  Should we refer to this as the Ryan Reynolds effect?"

Britton:  "Ryan Reynolds is Canadian.... point of fact.  And also the owner of Wrexham... not the manager.  But I'll answer whatever question there was implied in your history lesson.  That was pretty accurate.  I am just 22, there's no way around that.  I did play football for Stanford University - which by the way is a pretty good university to play for and to learn the game, for what that matters.  I did graduate with my degree in sports science, again for what that matters... which I guess would be more than not having one.  I did come here for vacation after graduating... if I remember correctly I think I told Clarke I was here to contemplate things, figure out my next career move.  That worked out strangely.  And yes after a conversation... well two really... I was offered the manager position with Torquay.  It does seem like a fantasy story so I'll allow that.  In fact I am sort of still wrapping my head around it."

Roger:  "All that being said, what's next?  Have you had a chance to meet the players?  Do you have a strategy?  What can the supporters expect?"

Britton:  "That's a lot of questions, let's see how good my memory is.  What's next is we get to work.  I have not had a chance to meet all the players as they're on break.  I have met a couple and it's been good, mostly.  Yes I have a strategy... we are going to control the tempo of the game and we're going to play forward, meaning we're going to attack and try to put our opposition on their heels.  As far as what the supporters can expect beyond that?  100% effort from everyone associated with the club from top to bottom.  They deserve no less.

Tanner Williams (BBC Sport):  "Tanner Williams, BBC Sport.  Britton, if nothing else it seems you have put some thought to this but do you truly understand what you're up against.  This is a Tier 6 club that is 10 years removed from the Football League.  By all reports there is no money and ownership doesn't seem to be interested in investing money.  In fact the only thing we ever hear from them is that they want a new stadium - which won't happen the way things are going - and that they purchased the club as an investment... that hasn't worked out.  Most supporters wanted Gary Johnson fired 2 years ago and those same would say they want Clarke Osborne gone as well.  What makes you think that you can turn any of this around and prove to the supporters that the right decision was made here?  To be perfectly honest - since you seem to want it that way - this really does seem more a Ted Lasso thing than you might realize.  There are those, many actually, that seem to think that your hiring is just another step toward tearing this club apart.  Do you have a response?"

Britton:  "Well my response would be how did that turn out for the fictional AFC Richmond?  I mean if we're going to keep making the references... then at least let's go all the way with them."

Tanner:  "Fair enough, but that doesn't really answer the question."

Britton:  "No, it didn't so here's the rest.  There's not a single manager in this game except for maybe at the top that can control anything outside of what they are put in charge of.  I don't handle the money, I just deal with what I'm given.  I'm told what I have to spend and I spend it the very best I can, those are my decisions to make.  If we build a new stadium or don't... not my concern.  If we build a new concession stand or we don't... not my concern.  If there's a player I want and I ask for the money to make it happen.... either it's given to me or it's not.  If it's not, I figure out how to make it work without that player.  If I don't... then the supporters can question why I didn't.  That's my job.  And if there's one thing about me... I don't back down from tough questions or tough times.  Everything out of my control is out of my control.  But even if it's out of my control I'll take responsibility for the outcome."

Ian Castle:  "We'll take one more question today."

Julie Manning (BBC Radio Devon):  "Hello, Britton, Julie Manning, BBC Radio Devon.  What are your aspirations at Torquay?  When Ryan and Rob took over at Wrexham they said they were going all the way to the Premier League, are you expecting the same here?"

Britton:  "I don't know that I'm going to go out on a limb and make any promises at the moment.  The words are nice and all and obviously that's what everyone wants, so absolutely our goal is to grow the club and go as high as we can.  But I'm sort of a one step at a time sort of guy.  Right now we're in Tier 6... so the goal is promotion this season.  That's what we're working on.  Beyond that, each season is a new season and new goals will be set.  Let's focus on what's right there ahead of us and the rest will come."

Clarke Osborne:  "Britton has answered all your questions with the enthusiasm and passion and intelligence I knew he would.  Anything above or beyond that has to do with the club should go through me.  I will say what I've said from the time I purchased the club back in 2016.  We had a vision.  We wanted and sitll want a new stadium and commercial center for this town.  We want it to be a spectacle for the supporters and for fans visiting Torquay.  We haven't made good on those promises but our work isn't done yet.  As I said before, we're turning the page now.  This is a new beginning for our club.  I'm excited and I hope you are as well."  He looks over at Ian and motions to him.

Ian Castle:  "Okay everyone that's enough for today, thank you."

Edited by Blarney

A Geographical Lesson

Screenshot2024-02-26211906.thumb.png.a99514c0bede652ac354fb575967d958.png

To the left of your screen you'll see North America which consists of the United States and Canada.  South of that is Central America and then South America - not shown on the map.  Oftentimes people from the United States say they're from America which is technically correct but incorrect at the same time.  America is not the United States of America... as it can mean North, South or Central America.  You're welcome. 

When you look across the Atlantic ocean - sometimes referenced as "the pond" you'll find Europe with Africa to the South.

How far is New York to London, you ask?  3,459 miles... or about a 7 hour flight give or take.  Los Angeles to London?  5,437 miles... or around a 14 hour flight.

Screenshot2024-02-26211951.png.0246bfe437ae4d57f88ed6d8a6f5b547.png

This is Europe.  By land mass the United States is over twice as big as Europe.  Not pictured is part of Russia which is technically considered Europe or European Russia because honestly we think it's silly that Russia is divided into 2 continents.  Honestly it should be it's own darned continent it's so large.

Screenshot2024-02-26212032.png.e6cb39bdee85e8f2eedd8e8137c37f65.png

This is the United Kingdom - which consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. 

The Republic of Ireland is the larger Southern portion of Ireland.

Screenshot2024-02-26212303.png.fdc9dc4f21763e1f3dadd57f51258708.png

This is Devon, which is a "ceremonial" county in South-West England.  Plymouth and Exeter are the 2 biggest settlements in the area.

Screenshot2024-02-26212352.png.0af1ba54a7f1472b98a3e7ead322d945.png

And this is Torquay.  It's a coastal town about 34 miles South of Exeter and 53 miles to the East of Plymouth.

Screenshot2024-02-26211525.png.f70e1ec72a2c686fc786279e5183937b.png

A view of the harbor and the English Riviera Wheel.

Screenshot2024-02-26211233.png.949e6f9bdcda63a97fa24099a0afd50a.png

And from the sea.

It honestly is a gorgeous little town.  Unfortunately like a lot of small towns - even resort towns - behind the scenes things aren't absolutely perfect.  Many businesses have left or closed shop, including a couple of their bigger employers.  Unemployment is rising and so is the crime rate.  The travel industry is still king here and there are enough businesses open, including some incredible shopping to be found to keep tourists interested.

But the town could definitely use a kick right now, something to give it a lift.

Maybe we can find something to do just that.

Edited by Blarney

Let's talk about Torquay United

Torquay United History

Torquay United was formed in 1899 and joined the East Devon League in 1900.

In 1907 they joined the Torquay and District League and in 1909 they became champions of that league.

They merged with Ellacombe in 1910 and formed Torquay Town and joined the Plymouth and Devon League.  The next season they won that league.

In 1921 they merged with Babbacombe and became Torquay United once again.  They were admitted to the Western League that year.

After one season they joined the Southern League, becoming Champions of the Western Sector in the 1926/27 season.

The next year they were elected into the Football League.

The next 25 seasons were spent in the Third Division South where they managed to finish above 10th place just 5 times.  In the 1958 season they managed only a 23rd place finish and when the Football League underwent a restructing the next year TUFC was placed in the newly created Division Four.

They manged to spend just 2 seasons in Division Four before earning promotion to Division Three.... but unfortunately only spent 2 seasons there before being relegated back to Division Four.

The next 29 seasons were spent between Division Four (23 seasons) and Division Three (6 seasons)... so not exactly a good mix.

The 1990/91 season marked the start of maybe their best playing time on the pitch.  They earned promotion back to Division Three after that season and spent the next 13 years straight there.  Unfortunately they were a real Jeckyll and Hyde club.  Once year they'd finish near the top, only to follow that season up with a bottom half finish.  Then they'd finish in the middle... back to the upper half... and back to the bottom half.  They just weren't consistent.  They did manage 2 playoff appearances in their first 12 seasons but lost both times in the playoffs.

Their best finish came during the 2003/04 season where they finished in 3rd place and found themselves in the newly formed League One for the 2004 season.... which lasted 1 year before being relegated to League Two.

And that lasted 2 seasons before relegation came calling again and Torquay found themselves outside the Football League and in Tier 5.

Luckily that only lasted 2 seasons before earning promotion back to League Two... which lasted 5 seasons before being booted once more.

That was after the 2013/14 season.

It is now the 2023/24 season.  That makes this the 10th season outside the Football League... 2 of those spent in Tier 6 - including the forthcoming season.

In total since their election to the Football League in 1927, Torquay have played 34 seasons in the 3rd tier of English Football, 42 seasons in the 4th tier, 10 seasons in the 5th tier and now 2 in the 6th tier.

They have never played above Tier 3... ever.  And almost half of their history has been spent in Tier 4 or below.

And as far as silverware goes... nope.  They have been runners-up in the League Trophy one time back in the 1988/99 season and runners-up in the FA Trophy one time back in 2008.  They've never been out of the 4th round of the FA Cup.... a round they've only reached 7 times in their history.

That's it.

The Yellow Army deserves better.

Plainmoor

Plainmoor has been home to Torquay United since 1921.  It has undergone many renovations and now has a capacity of 6500.  There have been multiple talks by the last couple of owners of TUFC to build a new stadium or possibly even relocate the team but as of yet nothing has come to fruitiion.

Screenshot2024-02-26210815.png.ab6b58de58e810b094627f5cee2172f0.png

Screenshot2024-02-26210732.png.d8bac47fcd166266fcf3fa15cd40ba4f.png

Screenshot2024-02-26210627.png.140b2abd4a2e2d84494b4c285c90f577.png

Screenshot2024-02-26210929.png.0f85478e56a350283ebf21af3ee7ab0d.png

Screenshot2024-02-26211120.png.0c105e96806f01e8f177744da1657937.png

Really for being so old and honestly with TUFC not necessarily being the greatest club ever while lingering down in the lower levels of English football.... this is a seriously beautiful stadium.

Saying that...... they could probably use a new one.

Eventually.

Edited by Blarney

Torquay Talk

Reaction to the Britton O'Byrne press conference

We'll say this, Britton talks a good game.

He met the laughter of all the Ted Lasso references head on.

He stared down any criticism and offered up a good argument as to the fact that Torquay United hasn't exactly been a quality club of late so why not some American taking charge.

We're not sure we buy it yet, but we can't say the guy didn't impress.

But words are words and actions are quite different.  The guy talks a big game but managing one might be outside his abilities at this time.  But as to the point he made... Gary Johnson - who has been doing this forever - wasn't doing anything with the club at all.  The supporters are angry.  We'd probably be angry no matter who they hired until proven otherwise.

We're not saying we're sold.... and we're not even saying we're not going to continue to question it.

But we will admit that maybe he deserves a day or two to prove he can do it... or he can't.

The fact is we'll be there supporting the club no matter what.  They could put Mickey Mouse in charge and although we'd question it, we'd still fly the Yellow flag.  We'd still be there supporting our players.

We'd still rather Clarke Osborne took a long walk off a short pier... but as Britton said, he doesn't control that.  So maybe let's not put all our frustration on him......... yet.

Welcome to Torquay United

Enjoy your stay

wesuck.png.70040dba37949e249af444f332721f66.png

Finances:  Okay (not really) -- Transfer Budget:  Non-existent -- Wage Budget:  thin

budget.png.a76ac89fe224a7efdd3692148688ac34.png

We'll work with it.  I'm not overly concerned about the money right now.

supporterprofile.png.74c1bc364cb52da13db8d58322586bb0.png

We really need to increase these numbers, especially with our hardcore fan base.

vision1.png.a6fa1db21725255117efd0e6d7312fef.png

Blah blah blah... do what we tell you.  Fine.

vision2.png.442bc1af98f0adb2ae813c5da447c6b5.png

Required automatic promotion is a little harsh but we should probably be the best club in the league... one would think.

I only have a one year contract so I need to make it happen this season.

Training Camp Starts

Britton meets the squad

Alright, first and foremost let me start by saying that I know you all have a lot of questions and concerns.  I would as well if I were standing where you are.  But I'd like to think that I'd also have the wherewithal to step back for a second and not pre-judge but listen and make a decision based on what I see and hear and not what I thought beforehand.

So I ask that of all of you.

As of right now there is no going back.  Whether you think this is a joke or just don't care or aren't quite sure what to make of it, we are here together now.  We have a job to do.  You all want to play football and I want to teach it.  Hopefully together we can learn what makes us all tick and how to be the best we can be on both sides.  I want to help you become better players and I want you to help me learn to become the manager that you need me to be.

So going forward we're stuck together... and each and every one of you can make your own decision on whether you want to make the best of it or you don't.

I, for one, hope you all do.  I can't tell you how excited I am for this opportunity.  I can't tell you how excited I am for each and every one of you.  We have an opportunity to do something here.  And I'm not talking about dreams of making it to the Premier League or anything like that.  I'm talking about turning this club around.  I'm talking about making a difference in this community.  I'm talking about making these supporters... the Yellow Army... proud again.

*looks around and looks every player in their eyes*

Football is community.  To me it's that simple.  You wouldn't be here if it wasn't for this town and these supporters.  And that goes the same for every place this game is played.  Doesn't matter if it's London or Manchester, New York City or Berlin, Paris or Shanghai.  It's community.  It's people.  You play for the love of the game and they watch you and pay their hard-earned money because of their passion for the game.  So we're going to pay that back by busting our behinds every time we take that pitch.  We may not always be the best out there... but we're never going to be under-prepared.  We're never going to be lazy.  We're never going to be complacent.  And we're never going to take anything we do for granted.  This is a game, boys.  A game you are paid to play.  Millions and millions of kids out there dream of going out and doing what you're doing and you get to do it.  So never take it for granted.  Be the best you can be... at all times.

I'm here to help you.

So let's give eachother a chance.

That's all I'm asking.

Meet the Squad

The Front Line

forwards.thumb.png.53bb47ac059e1ca027e0cbff0e728720.png

Aaron Jarvis is a star at this level.  Lewis Collins is also a very nice player and is only 22-years old.

Beyond that... not much.

Middle-Men

midfield.thumb.png.9a1eec97e00dd13785dd20930b90680f.png

We have pretty good depth in the middle.  McGavin, Lapslie, Hall are all competent.

Martin and Donnellan can play in the middle as well but may be more suited on the edges of the defensive line.

Dawson and Stobbs are nice depth to have.

Defensive Line

defensiveline.png.70705fbca1e9164133ec1ed82952720c.png

As we said Martin and Donnellan look to be best suited on the defensive line and will most likely play there.

Otherwise we're pretty weak here.  Moxey is okay for this level but there's just nothing past him.  This is a concern.

The Keepers

keepers.png.7dc291eb69a77f3b6df5d3113e08c12e.png

Halstead is fine for this level but definitely not a long-term solution.

Review/Final Thoughts

Aaron Jarvis up front should be all the offense we need.... and we may need a lot because right now our defense doesn't look great.

Our keeper may be fine, hopefully... but there's not much in front of him.

Thankfully our midfield is relatively deep and that might help.

I don't look to have the depth to play the formation I wanted, it looks more like I'll have to do something along the lines of a 4-4-2 with Jarvis and Collins up front.

Or I may move one of those center-mids back to a defensive-mid spot to help out with defense and use a 4-1-3-2 formation.  I think that might be the best plan.

Regardless, without looking at the other squads I still think we have enough here to compete -- if not win the whole thing.

Edited by Blarney

The Preseason

Schedule

Screenshot2024-02-27065654.png.d7af07929233bbec69d40733c00d5e30.png

Never cared much what happened in preseason games.  It's all about working on tactics and getting in game shape.

Golden Boot

Screenshot2024-02-27063205.png.4808ba628b2dfb5c61162d12ffbc4955.png

Hmmmm.... I would have placed good money on Jarvis being the best scorer in the league but the good money is against me on this one.  We'll see what happens.

Top Player

Screenshot2024-02-27063245.png.2b4bdb261bf18f2664c513b413be5ed6.png

So Jarvis isn't good enough to be top scorer.... but he is good enough to be the top player.  Okay.

Place your Bets

Screenshot2024-02-27065621.png.d15d3f0476c6091412f5e2caa1beb714.png

#2 is okay.... #1 would be better.

Match 1 Preview

1preview.png.635867b9f6500c5203e67b0b8fcc3807.png

You make your managerial debut tomorrow on the road against Dartford.  Butterflies?

Yeah a few but more from excitement.  I'm ready to get this thing started.

How has the team responded to your leadership so far?

It's been good, mostly.  Some growing pains I think are too be expected.  I think that comes with any change in leadership.  It wouldn't matter who walked through the doors afer someone who had been here for years left, there's going to be a period of feeling in time.

Yes, but these circumstances are a little different.

True.  I guess.  I mean has there neve been a new manager take over at a club before?  No, look I know this has been a little different but I told the boys in our first meeting that we needed to give eachother time.  Everyone back there is a professional and we're all striving for the same thing.  As long as we're on the same page it's going to be okay.

Is it important to go out there and win your first match?

I think the first match can set the tone for the season... but it doesn't have to.  Meaning that you're not defined by one win or one loss either way... really at any point in the season.  However, it is the first time you're taking the pitch and if you go out and you perform well then I think that gives the team a little boost of confidence.  On the other hand if you don't, then maybe you start to question all your training leading up to this point.  That's when it's important that you go back to basics and understand that one bad result isn't the end of the world and you just go back and work harder.  So the answer to your question can be yes... it's obviously good to start off with a win, but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

The odds-makers have you finishing in 2nd place behind Yeovil - who were also relegated last season.  Do you think that's a fair pick and would that satisfy you in your first season in charge?

I'm not in the business of making predictions but I'll bet on my boys each and every time out there.  Our goal this season is to win it all.  That will be our goal each season no matter if we're picked first or last by the people paid to make those picks.  It may sound arrogant but we're here to play the best we can each time we take the pitch.  We do that for ourselves and we do it for our supporters.  Anything less isn't acceptable.

So if you don't finish first then the season will be a disappointment?

That's putting words in my mouth.  We strive for the best each time we take the pitch.  There may be times when we're just not the best team out there and if we lose then it's disappointing because we want to win, that's doesn't mean it's a disappontment... there's a subtle difference.  The same goes for the season.  Our goal is to win, otherwise why are we out here?  The supporters aren't out here hoping for losses, so neither are we.  When we take the pitch our only thought is playing the best we can and looking for the best result.  Each match all season long no matter who we face will be the exact same... we're looking to win.  At the end of the season we hope to have a lot more wins than losses or draws and be sitting at the top of the table.

Match One

1.thumb.png.e29e97757cdd86676bd6f284bc28eeb0.png

Despite your pre-game comments about it "not mattering" you must be pleased with the win?

I don't know that I said it didn't matter.  What I meant was that it couldn't matter.  Subtle difference, again.  Not mattering would imply that we don't care.  Shouldn't matter implies that we can't let it matter.  If we lost and we let it matter then it gets under your skin and it can affect the way you play going forward, at least short term.  So while we would care... we couldn't let it infect our thoughts.  Obviously winning means we don't have to worry about that... for this match at least.  So yes I am pleased.  The team is pleased.  I would hope the supporters are pleased as well.

Goals from Jarvis and Collins to start the season.  One would think you'll be relying on them all year long to perform this well.

It's dangerous to suggest that any one player is more important than the next.  Every man out there has a job to do and you need them to do it well to function as a team.  Up front you need guys to put the ball in the net and in the back you need guys to prevent the ball from going in.  Everyone has a role to play and one isn't more important than the next.

Previously you stated that scoring goals was more important.

Not fair, using my own words against me.  Yes we need to score so yes it's important that Jarvis and Collins or whoever else might be up there gets good looks and puts the ball in the net.  But on the other side... we need people who can prevent the same.  So while I suggest that you have to score to win.... and that's the most important aspect of the game to me... it doesn't take away from everyone having to do their job out there.

Match Five Preview

farn.png.4f1fb3501b4f530cfd04d43371d5b4b3.png

You're facing Farnborough at home tomorrow.  They're currently 7 spots above you on the table.  You haven't lost a match yet this season but you've only won 1 of the 4 you've played with 3 straight 1-1 draws in league play.  Are you concerned about your start and lack of scoring?

It's hard to say you're concerned when you haven't lost a match, but at the same time we're not winning either which has put us squarely in the middle fo the table this season.  There's 2 ways to look at it from here.  Either we're just waiting for our chance to get hot and shoot up the table or we're not and we're going to keep going to other way.  I think by now you all know what I'm thinking.

At the start of the season you stressed that you needed to score goals and so far those have been elusive.  Yet you said the offensive side of the ball was where you were the strongest.  On the other hand reports were that you were concerned about your defense and that so far has been the strength of the team.  Were you wrong?

Interesting way to put it.  Yes I felt we had enough strength up front that we were going to score our fair share of goals, which has not happened yet.  And I was actually more concerned about our lack of depth on the defensive line more than I was that we just weren't going to be good at stopping goals.  Yes, if being honest... I would have guessed that we'd be stronger offensively than defensively and that hasn't played out yet.  But if you're expecting me to be upset about it, I'm not.  Besides, if there's one thing I preach is patience.  I'm learning the players, the players are learning me and a new system... and the last thing I'm going to do is get worried 4 games into a season that something isn't perfect when everything is going fine.

Predictions on this match?

Two teams will take the pitch and one will probably win... or draw.  One of those outcomes.

Edited by Blarney

Match Five

5.thumb.png.ddb6915294c5e2cce2594733894e2627.png

Just yesterday you were talking about preaching patience, so you must be delighted with this result?

I'm delighted with every win.  Sometimes I'm even delighted with losses if I see something to be delighted about.  That's probably not the answer you're looking for but like most things there are just different levels of excitement.  Yes, it's... nice to see that we broke out in a big way in this game, but at the same time it's something that doesn't surprise me.  I don't say that to put pressure on the boys and suggest that I think we should score 6 goals every match, that's obviously not the case.  But I have faith in my group to go out there and give everything they have each time they step on the pitch and each time they step on the pitch I think they have the skillset to do exactly this.  Now maybe next time out they don't and just like I'm not going to get overly excited about this, I won't get overly down about not doing this.

Talk about Aaron Jarvis.  He gets the hat-trick today.

He did.  He played well.  I've come to expect that from him just like I do each of my players.  But Aaron is a special player absolutely.  He's someone that just goes out there and does his job no matter what's asked of him.  He's a manager's dream.

His contract is up this season are there talks about wanting to keep him around?

We haven't broached that yet.  I'm just over a month into this position and there are definitely decisions that need to be made going forward.  I love Aaron and if there's a way forward to keep him here then we may definitely try to make that happen.

August in Review

Schedule

augustsched.png.017bc432054d0788bb076a669344a54e.png

2 wins, 3 draws, 5 matches.  I'll take it.

Table

table.png.082ab231cdd64539e43af9b107f138f3.png

It's the first month of the season so we'd expect the table to be tight and tight it is.

There are currently 2 points separating the 1st spot from the 13th spot.

We are 1 point back and in 7th place after our big win in the last game of the month.

The top 6 teams all have 10 points.... crazy.

NLS Team Stats

teamstats.thumb.png.085dca46a2f03d5f8ca8cb73c7a92572.png

Possession and pass completion ratio.... very nice.  Those are 2 stats I like to see my team near the top on.  I'd be even happier if we were up on shots on target and conversion rate as well, but we'll start with this.

NLS Player Stats

playerstats.thumb.png.638e91d70513fbcf3b607e0ff3d1896d.png

Jarvis at the top of average player rating, goals scored and xG... very nice.  Let's hope it continues.  We have 2 players on the top of pass completion ratio as well.

Gulls Attacking Data

teamattacking.png.79e59f6eab9a63a7ba8759a12351d050.png

Gulls Defending Data

teamdefending.png.23ece2377dd339da4e928fc8ff737deb.png

Finances

finances.png.b201dadee7e0f826a8806fccd9c98b5d.png

We lost a lot of money this month.  Need to play some competitions and make some up.

Match Six

6.thumb.png.23a18abd8c51daaa18ff3c2f16bae342.png

You had 22 total shots, 12 on target compared to 4 shots and 3 on target from Slough.... yet the match ended in a 2-2 draw.  There has to be some frustration after this one.

On top of that we almost had a 60-40 possession advantage as well.  We also wom the majority of the tackles and the vast majority of our headers... but yet we allowed 2 of their 3 shots on target to go in.  In that way, we deserved what we got.

Match Seven

7.thumb.png.3bf123984566228c7546c5cc64a6ece8.png

This is the 2nd straight match where you completely statistically dominated an opponent.  In the last match you succumbed to a 2-2 draw and in this one you managed a 1-0 victory despite shooting 28 shots, granted only 6 on target.  You said you weren't frustrated in the last match.  How are you feeling after this one?

I actually don't remember saying I wasn't frustrated but I really wasn't... or at least that's not the word I would use.  Frustration is when you know you can do better but you're not.  The fact is in our last 2 matches we have put up an incredible number of shots and a decent amount of those on target while holding our opponents to basically nothing.  More often than not you're going to win those games.  Last time we didn't but we also didn't lose and this time we did.  if you continually put up these numbers you're probably going to have a pretty good season and you're probably going to score a lot of goals.  So, no, not frustrated... just waiting for luck to turn our way a bit.

FA Cup

Second Qualifying Round

facup.thumb.png.5603c0a29e9b4cbe8ffdf8e1c697e091.png

You subbed many of your first 11 in this game and went with some players that haven't seen a lot of time so far this season.  You did manage the win but it was very close.  Were you sweating there for a time?

I should say no, but yeah a little bit.  I felt we weren't at our best throughout parts of this match.  No disrespect intended toward Leiston - they played a great game - but we should have done a little better ourselves.

Do you think it's disrespecting another club when you sit most of your starters and basically assume you'll beat them with backup players?

I think my job as a manager is to do what's best for my players and if they need a rest I have to find the right time to do it.  The fact is - and this isn't disrespecting Leiston - but they are in a lower league than we are currently.  They showed that they are a good club but we should be better.  We were in this match but just barely.  We should be applauding their efforts more than questioning whether they got our best.

Match Nine

9.thumb.png.de1dc8f915f634293ad0a8117b7363a2.png

2nd draw you've "earned" this month where you statistically dominated an opponent.  I know we've asked before if you were frustrated and you've said no, but you must admit, this hasn't really been your month for luck.

Like I said, I'm just waiting for it to turn.  You take the bad with the good and if the bad is a draw, so be it.  At some point those shots will start to fall in but if they don't, then you go back to the drawing board and see what you can do to change your luck.

FA Cup Preview

preview.png.0faf9b0b06dc762f22f45a6671a8a7d7.png

You're on an 11 match unbeaten streak, including 10 in league play and your 2nd Qualifying Round match in the FA Cup.  What is the feeling with the players right now?

Understandably on a high at the moment, but they all know that we haven't accomplished anything yet.  We're merely 10 games into the season.  We could be 0-10 just as easily and the season would be as much over as it is won right now.  Granted, before you assume me callous or stupid.... I'd much rather be 10-0.  I heard somewhere that you can't win the season in the first couple of months but you can certainly lose it and there's probably some truth in that.

Any concern about complacency?

No.  I mean it's always a concern that some may creep in and it's important that we address as we see it.  But really right now it's too early for anybody on that pitch to think this season is all but won.  We're not even at the top of the table right now.  The job certainly isn't finished yet and everybody knows that.

You rested quite a few players in your first FA Cup match against competition that you alleged wasn't at your level.  Are you planning on doing the same here?

Point of fact but I didn't allege they weren't at our level... I said they played at a level below us, which is fact.  But they gave us a good game.  I expect the Worthing match to be hard fought as well and I'll rest players as I see fit if I think they need rested.  However, I would expect most probably will start this one as we've had about a week off.

September in Review

Schedule

septsched.png.b05bf6b9bd66da064cbd81f5c152f8b7.png

3 wins, 2 draws in league play.  A win and an unfortunate draw at home in the FA Cup.

We'll be meeting Worthing again in a few days to settle this.

Table

table.png.7af5711b0872ec6c420c74f50d8b6b71.png

It's still a packed house at the top.  Just 4 points separate the top 7 teams and only 8 points from 1 to 14.  Still a long ways to go and a lot of separation expected.

NLS Team Stats

teamstats.thumb.png.bcd1fe5caeba6019e73604e3654a075f.png

Torquay still holding strong with average possession and pass completion ratio.  Still struggling with shots on target and conversion rate though.

NLS Player Stats

playerstats.thumb.png.d299cc7b25fe8d20d894d2a20f3cceec.png

Jarvis still the top man.

Gulls Attacking Data

teamattack.png.e4a8aa9ffc8c1f948af5128ad4a76fed.png

Gulls Defending Data

teamdefend.png.d3533cd9a8b58803df843c8b54699644.png

Finances

finances.png.186b9fc78e74a498a579acd7e6f0541a.png

We just need to make it through the season and earn promotion... 

FA Cup Preview

preview.png.aa4cf3e92427e7fcfbe3e6afe9bcbb4e.png

You're facing Oldham at home in the Fourth Qualifying Round.  How do you feel your chances are at a win to move on in the competition?

I'm happy we're at home in front of our supporters, which should give us a boost.  On top of that I'd never bet against my boys to go out and put on a show.  We've trained well and we're relatively healthy.  We're going to give them everything we have and we'll see what happens.

FA Cup

Fourth Qualifying Round

fa.thumb.png.d06190f43eeafe7d55d470b650e3e44c.png

You got the goal in the 33rd minute and then it seemed just sat back and held off an Oldham onslaught from that point.  You even pulled back someone from the forward position to a defensive-midfield position.  Was that part of the plan going in?

It was a tactical decision based on the flow of the match.  I was very happy when we got the first goal.  I played out the first half and a few minutes into the 2nd half before making the decision to sit back and play mostly defensively from that point.  We were already fending off a pretty heavy attack and I really just didn't want to concede a single goal and have to basically start the game over.  We were doing very well controlling possession but not as well getting shots off.  So yeah my plan was that if we got off to an early lead to try and hold it for as long as we could and then if it seemed like we were being overwhelmed then to sit back and park the bus and not allow them to score.

So now that the match is over can you tell us honestly if you felt you had a chance going in?

Yes, I absolutely thought we did.  No offense to Oldham - they're a level up from us so I'm not suggesting they're not good at all - but they are just a level up... it's not like they're a Championship team currently.  The fact is I don't view the talent level between the North or South or National League or even League Two as being astronomically different.  I think any good team in the North or South has a chance to hang with just about any team a step or 2 above.  I'll quantify that statement by saying if you're the top team in League 2 going up against a bottom team in the NLS then you're probably a better squad.  I just mean that generally there's not a huge talent gap between those 3 tiers and on any given day a NLS team can beat a NL or League 2 club.  Doesn't mean they will but it's not like it's a huge overachievement if they do.

Edited by Blarney

Match Thirteen

13.thumb.png.86f366390a780945fb3ca533a77dbd36.png

You had a man sent off early in this match but scored the first goal and then managed to hold off for the draw.  You must be satisfied with the result?

It's always hard when you go down a man but we fought hard for our goal.  Unfortunately they got one back., but holding them to a single goal was a good effort on our part I thought.  I can't feel bad about the result at all. 

Match Fourteen

14.thumb.png.8a1a4d7ab30aa9ea0ba4e2fdc6f976ba.png

You have to feel like you let one slip away here.  You're up 3-1 at the half and give up 2 goals in the 2nd half while not scoring again yourself.  Not only that but you only had 2 shots on goal the whole 2nd half and neither was on target.  What happened?

Just what you said.  This one slipped away.  I don't know if we let our foot off the pedal or just got a little complacent and thought we were going to run away with this one.  Whatever it was the guys hopefully learned something and we'll definitely be revisiting this in training.  Luckily we escaped with the draw because it could have definitely been worse.  Regardless I wouldn't expect this to be the norm.

Posted (edited)

October in Review

Schedule

octsched.png.44eb724082c3038f32b6d623adef3da0.png

Can't complain but I will.  2 wins in league play in 4 matches.  2 draws... 1 we definitely earned when we were down a man and 1 we just gave away.  No, I'm really not complaining.

We also are still in the FA Cup as well.

Table

table.png.f0d5fe6054553157f1e076c9bdbe1bdd.png

This league just won't separate.  We are 3 months in and there's still just 8 points between 1 and 11.

We're sitting in 2nd place and holding steady but there are only 3 points separating us and the 8th spot.

NLS Team Stats

teamstats.thumb.png.54b9a071a6c44b6bb960bf0815300f78.png

NLS Player Stats

playerstats.thumb.png.c891a00042de7711a5073fdac9fbfccb.png

Gulls Attacking

teamattacking.png.2fc38e920c84296b4d06c51453dbebc2.png

Gulls Defending

teamdefending.png.97acfb82cf095467ce365f5eb665f581.png

Finances

finances.png.37cbad5ce69def23f43e90325dd30c13.png

Edited by Blarney

FA Cup

First Round

facup1stround.thumb.png.6da67c53b1b0a616af3ebadf634953e4.png

The dream continues.

Don't pinch me.

The changing room must be electric right now.

The lads put in the work and they deserved this outcome.  Emotions are very high right now but as always this is one game and we know the story continues.

So we already know you're up against either Wrexham or Notts County in your next match.  Do you have a preference who you'd rather face?

You know either club is going to be tough to face.  I mean let's be honest.  Wrexham obviously has the name and right now probably the most recognition because of their ownership but Notts County.... man that was some crazy season last year between those 2 clubs.  Whichever it is we're going to have to be at our best.

Match Fifteen

15.thumb.png.1ab4d68b3b1e827f5b2bbed6544b1acf.png

Edge of your seat stuff that was.  I'm going to guess you went through a full range of emotions during this one.

Up 2-1 at the half, then 3-1, then 3-2, then 3-3 and momentum was definitely on their side.  But Collins saved the day in extra time and I was able to breathe again.  Great stuff.

That makes 15 unbeaten in league play now.  Any end in sight?

Well I certainly hope not but we're not worried about it either way.  We're out here to win but we're not going to fall apart when the streak ends and one would assume at some day that it will.

Posted (edited)

Match Sixteen

16.thumb.png.a2d95dd581016161eb2027a91510c088.png

You took an opportunity to rest several of your first 11 and it almost backfired as you were down 0-2 at the half.

These are chances you take as a manager.  Guys need rest and you have to find the right time to do it, especially when you just don't have a lot of depth.  We play the cards we're dealt and hope for the best at times.  We played much better in the 2nd half and deserved to get something from the match I thought.

Your up against Hornchurch who play in the Isthmian League Premier Division in a FA Trophy match next.  Can we expect a full complement out there or will this be another opportunity to give the guys some rest?

I'll see how the next few days go but most likely I'm going to take the opportunity to sit some guys and give them some extra time off.

And you still don't feel it's disrespectful to the other club?

So here's how I look at it.  They can take it as a sign of disrespect if that's how they want to take it.  And they have every opportunity to go out there and beat us and teach us the lesson of not underestimating them.  In the end, I have decisions to make for my team and one of those is when it's best to rest guys.  Whether you get us at full strength or not... play the match and make us pay for our decision.  That's how I view it when we go up against a bigger club and they do the same to us.

Edited by Blarney

Posted (edited)

Match Seventeen

17.thumb.png.c6e5a87b45011ff9ce4d16102e3990bf.png

A big win against a club that was #2 on the table.  What do you attribute the win to?

Hard work.  Good trianing.  Belief in the system.  All 3 blend together to form the performance on the pitch.

So if we can, this makes 17 unbeaten in league play yet you find yourself 4 points back from the top spot which is held by Weymouth who have lost 3 matches.  How do you explain this?

How do I explain it?  A lack of wins.  Okay so listen, it's a classic glass half full or half empty scenario.  It depends on how you want to look at it.  We can be happy that we haven't lost or we can be angry that we're not winning a majority of our games.  Personally I'm going to take it that right now we're on a 17 match unbeaten streak but at the same time we've only won 9 of those 17 matches.  Which means that rihgt now we're right in the thick of things which is where we want to be.  So we just continue and we train and we tinker and you keep doing everything you can out there to find a way to win.  But I'm not going to be upset that we're struggling to find wins as much as we'd like.

Edited by Blarney

November in Review

Schedule

novsched.png.33d20198ba675bd40fa169ec6b698924.png

Another win in the FA Cup and a win in the FA Trophy with 3 wins and 2 draws in league play.  Another good month.

Table

table.png.6bad49645647d1b144a6d752c5e8c158.png

We're finally starting to see some separation at the top.

13 points separate #1 from #8 now.  We're sitting in 4th, 4 points off the top spot with a game in hand.

Need to find some more wins to keep pace.

NLS Team Stats

teamstats.thumb.png.c82d838a2cee198498615dbafbb767e4.png

NLS Player Stats

playerstats.thumb.png.d55d7b91b9ab720ad22e2c29ef115f5d.png

Gulls Attacking Data

attackdata.png.f38494b610ade0e0b9a806ab50c5aec4.png

Gulls Defending Data

defdata.png.163e0fda03a7928f54403ded27b6e80f.png

Finances

finances.png.0c4ff74b2ce5204bbc9aa64865db99fc.png

Finally turned a little profit.  Helps when you win a big competition match.

Posted (edited)

FA Cup

Second Round

facup2.thumb.png.12ad4289ccfb472d1feb9e18a0cb4c8b.png

You can't be too upset here today with the way the club performed.

No, not at all.  I thought we played a good match against a very good team.

So moral victory?

I'm not a big fan of that term honestly.  I think just like sometimes you see things you don't like in a match you win, you can see things you do like in a match you lose but it doesn't mean you take any sort of victory from it.

Regardless it was quite an effort.

Absolutely.  Notts is a much larger club and something we aspire to be.  We went out there and had a solid game plan to try and slow them down and we accomplished that.  Unfortunately they got one through and we didn't.  They completely shut us down in front of their goal to where we couldn't get anything off.  All credit goes to them but I'm still proud of the effort.

Edited by Blarney

Posted (edited)

Match Twenty

18.thumb.png.ed29e98a92c4920e054bc707ffac19a1.png

Hampton manager, Mel Gwinnett, was very critical of both you and your club before the match.  Your response was that it was mind games and you didn't feel you needed to respond.  How do you feel now and was this any vindication of proving him wrong?

I had nothing to prove to him personally and neither did the club.  I couldn't care less what he thought before the match and I certainly don't care now.

Reports are that he was on the hot-seat prior to this match and another disappointing result could spell the end.  What would you say to him if you had the chance now?

Three.  Nil.  Enjoy your time off.

*****as it happened he was sacked after the match*****

Edited by Blarney