FM 24 | Real Betis Balompié | Vamos Los Verdiblancos!

Litmanen 10

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Endoftheseason.png.5e76c81beab31c4855952472bb1b3685.png
Endoftheseason2.png.d650317865f87e9d78b3134a69b03250.png

I want to apologize to all my readers about this. I was planning on continuing the career update in the same way and reporting about all the games separately but as I have seen my follower count going down and this thread being so quiet, I thought that the interest is now gone. I will come back to my regular updating style during the off-season, pre-season, and the coming season. 

40 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

I know you said "struggles" but Europa semis is pretty handy, particularly given it's unlucky to get Real at that point

Looks like a big clear out. Do the new signings mean a new system? 

Yeah. Real Madrid is a bit of a team that is really difficult to contain. Especially if you take into account the general struggles with defending that we had. Modric was basically the one getting us undone as Carvalho was not able to take him out of the games. Joselu on the other hand was a real thorn in our side inside the penalty area. 

With Betis the summer is obviously going to be a struggle as many teams are able to tempt your players. What surprised me was that for example Bellerín, Bakambu and Willian José and other deadwood players were attracting so much interest. I was expecting it to be difficult to shift them out. 

There is also a bit of snowball effect with teams like this. I was planning on only signing 2-3 players to fill in for the obvious gaps but as the AI teams start placing tempting offers, you end up accepting them and then on the other hand have replace them. 

My aim for this summer was a centre back, right full back and a goalkeeper but that didn't exactly happen. 

The salary is also an interesting thing as we cannot go over 900k per week and many of these players mentioned above were earning amounts suitable for their glory days. I like players like Fekir, Ayoze and Fornals in general but earning around or over 100k a week is a huge chunk of money considering the total limit. 

This 900k rule was also the downfall of Rodriguez. He would have signed an extension with us but we were above the limit. One week more and we would have been able to keep him. 

Tactically it is really hard to say. I was having a difficult time in the first season, switching between 4-4-1-1, 4-1-2-2-1 and a deep 4-2-2-1-1 formations with very little consistency. I've tried to keep it really simple with very few team and player instructions and more generic roles but so far no luck, just struggle. I think the new arrivals will allow my to try and build mainly on same principals but hopefully I can also bring more solidity to the defense and some consistency in the performances in general. 

I'm going to be writing more about the curious case of Rodriguez and my tactical approaches before the start of the season. The aim is to make this career update a bit more interesting for people. At the moment I can see that the current style doesn't apply to many people and I definitely need to improve my reporting and make it more comprehensive. 

Edited by Litmanen 10

Spoiler

4-2-2-1-1

Screenshot2024-02-20142025.png.5d47008153af032d90e0589c56228ead.png

4-5-1

Screenshot2024-02-20142006.png.84ac73af077600c04566557024c61547.png

4-4-1-1

Screenshot2024-02-20142508.png.30f58fdac2797a4d858c57808a445d2f.png

This is not my career reporting style but decided to publish the tactics that I came up with two nights ago before going to sleep and using my phone's notebook.

The main principles are the same in all of these: I have tried to keep it really simple and also balanced. This shows in the formation selections, team instructions player role selection, and player instructions that have been kept fairly generic and simple. I have only added a few team instructions which are mixed passing with higher tempo, counter-press, and counter-attack, short delivery, and a mid-block with a slightly higher defensive line. 

I also like to vary a lot with the roles and this is the reason why I for example have quite different types of roles for the flanks while the player profiles are fairly similar. I haven't yet given any specific player instructions as I tend to start building these based on performances that I see on the pitch. 

The right flank will be an interesting one to see. It might be that we are a bit vulnerable there as Dest is going to be bombing forward and combining with already attacking Rodi. Lo Celso is obviously not going to be playing in the defensive-minded role as Carvalho is the one more suited for this while Lo Celso should be able to offer us much more going forward, especially in terms of carrying the ball where Carvalho in real life is good but in FM lacks the pace to do it. 

I didn't want to give Carvalho a playmaking role anymore as that seemed to give us more of a trouble than reward last season. His passing should be top-notch level based on his player profile. What happened was that we basically saw zero line-breaking progressive passes while he was giving the ball away a lot in dangerous areas when playing some really senseless stuff toward our full-backs and wingers. I don't see this changing and I'd rather see the risk takers higher up the pitch in Rodri and Isco. 

The striker role is going to be an interesting one too as Fekir had an absolute horror of a season playing as a deep-lying forward on the attack. He was totally useless in both build-up phases as well as making runs behind and this is something that we need to change completely. Ayoze was able to excel in this role but I still want to use something else for Fekir. As Isco is still our first choice number 10, other players need to be doing the running for him and this is why I see pressing forward as a decent choice here. 

Midfield balance is also something that I would raise up. With Isco, Guido Rodríguez, and Willian Carvalho, we had a really static trio available last season. Rodríguez was actually our best midfielder for most of the season but I would see that Lo Celso is going to be an interesting addition here with more mobility. He needs to be able to do everything in the midfield: participate in both build-up and defensive phase and that is why I wanted to bring in a player with enough pace, work rate, and technical skill. Obviously using the Musrermann skin means that I don't have access to his full player profile in terms of attributes but I'd see him as an upgrade to his countryman when we think about how we want to play. 

Any thoughts of the tactical approaches would be warmly welcome!

9 hours ago, warlock said:

Bold moves in the transfer market :thup:

You could say that. Big changes at least. The main aim behind these was to get rid of dead wood, high earners and bad personalities. 

Haven't talk a lot about the club DNA but basically I am only signing players with good personalities (at least fairly professional) and slowly getting rid of everyone else. I think Juan Miranda and Isco can be an exception for me in this case as a really valuate both of them. 

Ayoze for example was earning €93k a week which is way too much for a player that I don't see as an ideal starter. The other strikers that we shifted off on the other hand were not up to the level and had bad personalities. I was actually surprised how easy it was to get rid of all of them. 

12 hours ago, warlock said:

A lot of 442 systems there, seems somewhat surprising (admittedly I don't watch a lot of Spanish football).

That's well noticed. I wouldn't put too much trust on the preview though. I would think that 4-2-3-1 is going to be the dominant formation within the league. Betis and Atlético will rebel against that trend. 

2 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Havertz is a hell of a signing. How are you planning on using him? I see he's not in any of your formation graphics above 

Was surprised that my scouts recommended him and Arsenal wanted to loan him to us and he even accepted. I was chasing Firmino too but he chose PSV with 20k less in salary. 

Havertz is going to be quite a versatile option for us. He will start as a forward and based on how he does, this position might change to an AM or MC position. As I am looking to master the mid-block I would say that Havertz might be too attacking-minded player for the midfield duo. 

I am also interested in bringing 4-3-1-2 formation as one of my options as I haven't used it for a long time and on the other hand I could be able to utilize Isco quite nicely there. 

2 hours ago, john1 said:

Good start against Rayo, hopefully you can nick a point against Real Madrid!

Indeed. Even though Rayo had plenty of chances, I was happy with how our team was moving and how different it looked compared to last season. Real Madrid, even at home, will be a huge test but as they punished us so many times last season, I want to beat them. 

From now on, I am also going to be adding the matchday results as links to my post as I will not be able to create image copies out of these so that the forum doesn't ruin to quality in such a way that you can read the text. 

Match day 1:

laliga1.png.34c33e40f1b20d3a357b4f1031943e9b.png

laliga1p2.png.913a9da668eb28a8f8003bdd6f856812.png

League table 1/38

leaguetable.thumb.png.efd3cf3f634af182c1ea408aa92f361e.png

Edited by Litmanen 10

BetisvsOsasuna1.png.bbd2f11bb65b5f47aa8cb9e2d1b0ff5c.png
BetisvsOsasuna2.png.b18bab1634ae67d6a1e6a11bbe973a5a.png

Match Day 2 Results

Match Day 3 Results

League Table

Player Stats

Barcelona under Marco Rose seems to be on steroids or something.

They are playing with a 4-2-2-2 box which has been devastating for their opponents so far. 

Girona and Athletic Bilbao seem to be struggling a lot and it might well be that Girona might
even battle against relegation this season. Interesting to see whether either of them
can bounce back.