Massively underperforming in defense, what would you do?

So, I'm halfway through my first season with Man Utd and I'm in 5th in the league. Looking at some statistics in the data hub, I came across this: (rather big screenshot, so in spoiler)

Spoiler

image.png.58e0be3b953827b4ac74e79da71f51e5.png

As you can see, we're massively underperforming in defense, conceding a whopping +66% more goals than we should be expected to. To set this in context, if we would've overperformed as much with scoring, we'd have scored 69 goals in 19 games.

Looking at individual players, Onana has an average rating of 6.74, my most used central defenders Varane, Martinez and Maguire have 6.83, 6.84 and 7.06. Varane, Martinez and Onana all have 1 mistake leading to a goal. So overall, it doesn't really look like one of them is the main cause of all this. 

Is this just (really) bad luck?

3 hours ago, Lasson said:

Can you provide a screenshot of your tactic(s)?

I don't think the tactics have anything to do with this as XG and XGA are about the combined quality of the chances you create or the opponent creates against you. The tactic used lead to those numbers. Anything you over- or underperform is about quality of the players. However, given that my defensive players and keepers are performing average at least, I don't see where the problem is.

I agree that 19 XGA isn't the best in 19 games, but that shouldn't mean we concede 32 goals in 19 games, but about 19 give or take a few either way. The next "worse" performers in that regard are Brighton, with +3 goals conceded out of 28 XGA, or just over 10% underperforming.

Edited by duvels

2 hours ago, duvels said:

I don't think the tactics have anything to do with this as XG and XGA are about the combined quality of the chances you create or the opponent creates against you. The tactic used lead to those numbers. Anything you over- or underperform is about quality of the players. However, given that my defensive players and keepers are performing average at least, I don't see where the problem is.

I agree that 19 XGA isn't the best in 19 games, but that shouldn't mean we concede 32 goals in 19 games, but about 19 give or take a few either way. The next "worse" performers in that regard are Brighton, with +3 goals conceded out of 28 XGA, or just over 10% underperforming.

You would be surprised how much your tactic has to do with it. It's rather hard to help you without seeing and analyzing your tactic. No tactic is perfect in FM and there's always something that can be improved.

Same here. Gegenpress, mid block, low block, crazy chicken dance, nothing works. Lots of players using gegenpress 4-2-3-1 and be successful but no, it's not working for me too. Throw-ins are pain, shooting the ball to the wings are pain, everything is pain for defending. And i don't understand this "it's your tactic" thing. I personally know some guys in the football business and they always said tactics are important but selecting players, "managing" the mood & people is more important. This game is like, "haha, kick the ball to the flanks and rest in peace."