Contracts - some players will never sign

I have an issue that many star players coming into their early 30s (usually 33) refuse to negotiate contracts, even right to the very end. It happened with Andre Onana around that age, I let him go, and was able to sign him as a free agent straight away after this. The next time his contract ran down this happens again but I just let him go for good. It’s now occurred a further 4 times and again it’s another good goalkeeper I’m concerned about, Carl Rushworth as well as Kvicha Kvaratsheklia to name. All the obvious things are covered, I’m with Manchester United. We’re very successful, these players play important roles, I can offer nearly 2M per week (bought youngsters and been stacking my budgets into wages because it’s not being used), and are always happy.

I’m just wondering is this a bug or is there a reason for this? 

• SI Staff
13 hours ago, KMac95 said:

I have an issue that many star players coming into their early 30s (usually 33) refuse to negotiate contracts, even right to the very end. It happened with Andre Onana around that age, I let him go, and was able to sign him as a free agent straight away after this. The next time his contract ran down this happens again but I just let him go for good. It’s now occurred a further 4 times and again it’s another good goalkeeper I’m concerned about, Carl Rushworth as well as Kvicha Kvaratsheklia to name. All the obvious things are covered, I’m with Manchester United. We’re very successful, these players play important roles, I can offer nearly 2M per week (bought youngsters and been stacking my budgets into wages because it’s not being used), and are always happy.

I’m just wondering is this a bug or is there a reason for this? 

Players in real-life ever sometimes their contracts out to force a move and get a large payday ... this is the likely cause, it is especially likely to happen if a player has been at a club for a long time and is starting to get restless and wonder if the grass is greener elsewhere (very few players stay at a single club their entire career irl and this is also the case in the game generally - the ones most likely to do so happily are those who have personalities which indicate 'Loyalty').

(although if you're able to offer 2m per week that sounds like a bug, are you sure you mean per week? ... i'd be interested in looking at your save game)

All of this makes a lot of sense to me. I can accept this and when I think of Onana for example I don’t think his loyalty is very high. Rushworth has high loyalty and kvratshkelia has average but in their cases they’ve been at the club a long time (5-7 years). 

My wage budget is 32.9M per week which I thought would be close to 2m per week max wage but it’s still not got there quite yet, I’ve been able to offer 1M max wage ages ago and have been stacking seasonal budgets of 170M plus big player sales all because I’ve bought smart with youth so have never needed to buy replacements as I bought young players I’ve been farming through loans for seasons while getting the most of star players. .

(eg. I got zabarnyi for 30 odd mill from Bournemouth, played for the club nearly 8 years and city bought him for 80M at 30 years old - this is the pattern that’s caused me to build so much budget along with stacking my yearly allowance - this has not been intentional, just a frustration when it comes to these older star players who I’d like to retire at the club who I can’t even get to discuss a wage despite having what feels like an endless budget).

IMG_2859.png

• SI Staff
On 10/01/2024 at 15:01, KMac95 said:

(eg. I got zabarnyi for 30 odd mill from Bournemouth, played for the club nearly 8 years and city bought him for 80M at 30 years old - this is the pattern that’s caused me to build so much budget along with stacking my yearly allowance - this has not been intentional, just a frustration when it comes to these older star players who I’d like to retire at the club who I can’t even get to discuss a wage despite having what feels like an endless budget).

Chuck me a save game (marc.vaughan@sigames.com) and include information on players you think should sign who aren't interested and I'll mull it over and get back to you .. if I agree then I'll tune things to make them a little more flexible for players who have been loyal servants and are older, sound reasonable? (bear in mind this might take a while to get 'out into the wild' as changes in this area are obviously fairly risky (lots of possible knock-ons) and I'm not going to rush something out the door in case it hurts the game as a whole).

• 2 weeks later...

And this budget shows you how unrealistic is this game. Something needs to be done with the amount of money clubs get each season. Coz in 3 season you can build galacticos with every bigger club in the world. 

• SI Staff
5 hours ago, Zoot said:

And this budget shows you how unrealistic is this game. Something needs to be done with the amount of money clubs get each season. Coz in 3 season you can build galacticos with every bigger club in the world. 

If you're cheating to artificially give yourself funds, then yes the game will be unrealistic but otherwise having farcical finances within 3 seasons is beyond most people I'd expect (short of taking over Barcelona and selling their first team, then again you'd have to replace them etc.) ... shrugs, so long as the individuals playing enjoy themselves that is the main thing and I'm not about to judge anyone tbh ...

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/01/2024 at 14:47, Zoot said:

Well, I exclusively play with Real Madrid, and having 200M in season 2 still gave me only one or two great players (I don't consider Hakimi or Araujo a Galactico, btw) if I'm lucky. So, nah... Building Galacticos in just 3 season is a nonsense.