Help when starting a new game

Is their any good guides or advice or tips when starting a new game with an unfamiliar team for analysing the squad and working out the best playing style to suit them etc.  I have played this game along time but also struggle to get this right.  There is some stuff on youtube that shows similar but it's usually with big clubs so the players are well known.  I always struggle especially are lower league identifying the players to do the job the best as often you have alot similar.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, Robbo1872 said:

Is their any good guides or advice or tips when starting a new game with an unfamiliar team for analysing the squad and working out the best playing style to suit them etc.  I have played this game along time but also struggle to get this right.  There is some stuff on youtube that shows similar but it's usually with big clubs so the players are well known.  I always struggle especially are lower league identifying the players to do the job the best as often you have alot similar.

No guides as such. Just take your time to get to know the players with tactics that arent too intricate at first.

Trust the opinions of the coaches for now. Test the players in friendlies etc

8 hours ago, Robbo1872 said:

The first thing I do is figure out how we score goals with the current squad. That's a good determination of where your lines can be and if you need a strike partnership or not. 

After that playing to the strength of the best 2-3 players is helpful. Height and Pace (or lack thereof) will push a lot of your tactical shape. 

Edited by Cloud9

I usually look at playing time. Most of the time this highlights the best players, but more importantly when playing the star/important players you don't have players complaining about player time. This really helps with your dynamics and atmosphere at the club. 

Also, I watch player reports and look if they are consistent performers and if they like big matches.  This helps allot imo when trying to get consistent performances from players. And if you are not sure if a player is good enough, compare him with players in the same position from teams that are expected to finish above you. This will give you an indication if your player is good enough to be in the league. 

For lower leagues, I think in general speed, strength and teamwork are most essential. 

Hope this helps.