Wingers/Inverted wingers updated

Apologies if this is already in this forum, has anyone messed around with the update PI for wingers now being able to select “cut inside”? Is there any reason now to use inverted winger vs just using the same player in a winger role?

maybe this isn’t much of a change but since noticing this I haven’t actually seen anyone mention this or if it’ll actually make a difference for a tactic or used in specific situations 

I think the Inverted Winger sits narrower when he is out of possession (this includes when his team has the ball but he isn't the player in possession), where the Winger stays very wide and only cuts in when they are given the ball.

2 hours ago, mc22 said:

Apologies if this is already in this forum, has anyone messed around with the update PI for wingers now being able to select “cut inside”? Is there any reason now to use inverted winger vs just using the same player in a winger role?

maybe this isn’t much of a change but since noticing this I haven’t actually seen anyone mention this or if it’ll actually make a difference for a tactic or used in specific situations 

I'd recommend the wingers at the moment. You can use an off footed winger for some variation as well.

I think inverted wingers would be more suited to systems like Aston Villa (Ramsey for example), as he would setup to play as a left winger but when Villa have possession, he would be much narrower than a winger in the mould of Saka for example at Arsenal - who would hug the line a lot more but cut inside when he has the ball.

Edited by Gilberto Silva

• SI Staff

If you don’t have anyone in AMCL/AMCR on the side of the wide player after the rotations kick in, the difference is the same as before. 

Inverted wingers seek to position themselves narrower than wingers. If you however have someone rotating into the AMC slot on their side (so LW it would be LCAM) then the difference might seem less it depends on your set up. 

The PI is for what player generally do when they’ve got the ball at their feet, their positioning is largely affected by everything else in your tactic such as the role, the team width and the positional play rotations feature brand new to FM24.

16 hours ago, Jack Sarahs said:

Inverted wingers seek to position themselves narrower than wingers. If you however have someone rotating into the AMC slot on their side (so LW it would be LCAM) then the difference might seem less it depends on your set up.

So, if I have no player or rotating in the AMCL position and I have a W/IW/IF in the LW position for example, will these roles be moved to AMCL?

• 5 months later...
On 01/11/2023 at 00:52, dzek said:

So, if I have no player or rotating in the AMCL position and I have a W/IW/IF in the LW position for example, will these roles be moved to AMCL?

So, what's the answer?

On 01/11/2023 at 00:52, dzek said:

A "rotation" happens when one of the roles impacted by the positional feature gets used. You are using a 4231, with a SV and an IW. The SV triggers a rotation, when the team enters the final third, the SV shifts up the pitch, moving the AP to the right and the IW slightly wider to accommodate that rotation. If you are using an IW in a 4231 without a role in the MC or DM tier that does not trigger a rotation he will not move as wide as one that has a role in MC/DM that rotates into the AMC tier..  An IW by nature of his role will always be standing narrower than a winger, this positioning can be further impacted by the width team instruction and the sit narrower team instruction.

On 18/04/2024 at 08:39, Rashidi said:

A "rotation" happens when one of the roles impacted by the positional feature gets used. You are using a 4231, with a SV and an IW. The SV triggers a rotation, when the team enters the final third, the SV shifts up the pitch, moving the AP to the right and the IW slightly wider to accommodate that rotation. If you are using an IW in a 4231 without a role in the MC or DM tier that does not trigger a rotation he will not move as wide as one that has a role in MC/DM that rotates into the AMC tier..  An IW by nature of his role will always be standing narrower than a winger, this positioning can be further impacted by the width team instruction and the sit narrower team instruction.

Which role naturally sits narrower than the other without a player from DM / MC / AMC occupy their side? IW or IF? or they take the same position?