Cup matches, Lower League clubs

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, KAS2 said:

If you are a small club where there is no chance of winning the competition + no financial incentive for progression, What's the point in these matches?

There are various things:

(1) If you do well during them then you can get small cash infusions from the board
(2) These matches are often against teams better than yours so gives your players more of a chance to learn and improve than they might playing at your normal level
(3) Matches in minor cup competitions against minor teams are a great chance to give your backup players experience and help their development.

2 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

There are various things:

(1) If you do well during them then you can get small cash infusions from the board
(2) These matches are often against teams better than yours so gives your players more of a chance to learn and improve than they might playing at your normal level
(3) Matches in minor cup competitions against minor teams are a great chance to give your backup players experience and help their development.

Ah, I didn't realise about the cash infusions. How does this work?

• SI Staff
56 minutes ago, KAS2 said:

Ah, I didn't realise about the cash infusions. How does this work?

Its based on whether a cup victory is considered a 'giant killing' - so if you get a big name draw and manage to get a result your board might be happy enough to splash some cash at you ... if you're a smaller league club and manage to knock out a Premiership club or even a Championship level club then a small windfall might come your way.

On 11/09/2023 at 19:54, Zoot said:

I mean that the game itself will give you more money then it should at the begining of every season (not the first one). Because game is plug and play.

It's not really the money that I'm chasing, this may even be beside the point! The original Q was aimed at identifying the benefits of a minor club's cup run.

Are there any actual examples out there, where a minor club (and I'm talking national league north / south) has benefited from competing in the the major cup competitions?

In my experience, where I tend to career manage at the lowest level possible, I have not seen any actual benefits - In fact the cup matches just seem detrimental. I'm hoping to be corrected here as I'm quickly falling out of love with the game, feeling this way for at least the last couple of releases I'm afraid..

Edited by KAS2
Punctuation

On 14/09/2023 at 12:02, KAS2 said:

Are there any actual examples out there, where a minor club (and I'm talking national league north / south) has benefited from competing in the the major cup competitions?

In my experience, where I tend to career manage at the lowest level possible, I have not seen any actual benefits - In fact the cup matches just seem detrimental. I'm hoping to be corrected here as I'm quickly falling out of love with the game, feeling this way for at least the last couple of releases I'm afraid..

Guess not then!

As I thought!

1 hour ago, KAS2 said:

Guess not then!

As I thought!

I think its a case that its an enjoyable match for the fans that brings in some extra revenue. How that works exactly depends on the cup but some arrangements are more generous to away teams than league matches.

Ultimately its part of the concept that any team could win it. Obviously, Red Lion pub FC aren't going to beat professionals but its part of the excitement.

On 14/09/2023 at 12:02, KAS2 said:

I'M LOOKING FOR ACTUAL EXAMPLES PLEASE!

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, KAS2 said:

The normal reason for a windfall in real-life (and in the game) is where a small club play a big club, ie. a non-league club managing to get through to the third round of the FA Cup and drawing a Premiership club might not get huge 'prize money' from such a tie but do get a cut of the gate which might be more than they'd normally earn in a season - hence the opportunity in the game to get bonus transfer funds sometimes during cup runs to simulate this occuring.

As I've also mentioned the quality of the opposition you play also affects how much your players can learn - so playing against a better quality team in the FA Cup can help your players progress in ability more, the same thing is true of players who are playing in Europe or whom might be called up for internationals*.

*Please note this doesn't mean their attributes will shoot up immediately in most cases, but it helps them along the way to such growth and might say open their eyes to ways they can improve their game.

On 21/09/2023 at 09:09, KAS2 said:

They are what Marc said, but maybe this will explain it:

1. You might get extra budget after beating a big opponent. You get message after the game saying "The board has made an extra $X available to you". It's not huge and if you've got enough money through transfer dealing etc, then you probably don't need this - but it can make the difference if you're budget is tight, especially if you go on a run where you string a few giant killing games together. I looked for a screenshot of this, but can't find one.

2. It can help your players level up. We're talking the little jumps of green on the progress bar after the game. Not only can you get more for a game against bigger opponents, if you are playing in a low league you may some players who have the "Needs to play at a higher level to progress" message on their training screen. These players can level up, but they are too good to ever get better playing at your level. No little jumps of green for them! Except when they play higher level teams in the cup (or ITN games etc). 

But you know this is a game and you're supposed to enjoy it. If you don't like cup games, put out your worst players, stick your striker in goal and change your formation to 0 0 0 5 5 and you soon won't have any cup games to annoy you! 😀

On 24/09/2023 at 13:21, StephenCronin said:

They are what Marc said, but maybe this will explain it:

1. You might get extra budget after beating a big opponent. You get message after the game saying "The board has made an extra $X available to you". It's not huge and if you've got enough money through transfer dealing etc, then you probably don't need this - but it can make the difference if you're budget is tight, especially if you go on a run where you string a few giant killing games together. I looked for a screenshot of this, but can't find one.

2. It can help your players level up. We're talking the little jumps of green on the progress bar after the game. Not only can you get more for a game against bigger opponents, if you are playing in a low league you may some players who have the "Needs to play at a higher level to progress" message on their training screen. These players can level up, but they are too good to ever get better playing at your level. No little jumps of green for them! Except when they play higher level teams in the cup (or ITN games etc). 

But you know this is a game and you're supposed to enjoy it. If you don't like cup games, put out your worst players, stick your striker in goal and change your formation to 0 0 0 5 5 and you soon won't have any cup games to annoy you! 😀

🤦🏻‍♂️