Help me avoid the ruth

After a good two seasons with boavista (3rd+2nd place and a cup), the start of season 3 feels as it is going poorly. The season already had a bad start when my star player and wonder(Tavares), golden booth last season demanded an improved contract. Unfortunately the board doesnt allow me to spend 50% of the wage budget on a single player, to which I agree. Luckily he is still 3y under contract, but had to quell various teammeetings and things got worse when we lost in the final CL playoff, prompting another teammeeting, which i managed to navigate.

While we were playing exciting football last season, cracks are beginning to show and we are mostly overperforming on xg and although its november, we are only 9 games far (and as you know there is a big gap between top in portugal and the remainder). Despite more possession and final third passes compared to last season, we struggle to get comfortable victories. I havent changed much in the tactic, only personel. I basicly want to bayern it: rectify what is going wrong now, rather than being too late

20230906232222_1.thumb.jpg.2d1b8c062fdaa4a472da6073f6fee96a.jpg

Part of the issue I feel is that despite more possession we dont get the ball to our strikers anymore. My wingers, midfielder and even sometimes my  fullbacks get more shots, despite most of them being on shoot less often. take this cupgame against Alcerva. Tavares and Morais have 2 shots between them, which is as much as my BWM Mukendi (who yes, is on shoot less often)...

20230906232818_1.thumb.jpg.9e384c05ab4cc1affff34e5e239cb56f.jpg

Any suggestions for changes to make?

Also bonus question: I cant get this player to perform to his level. He is rated as a leading Bwin player but often scores the lowest ratings during the match. I used him in the past as a BWM, but a few too many red cards (dont know why, report doesnt say anything about him being a dirty player) made me switch him to the DM slot. He keeps hovering around the 6.8 rating, whcih i feel is subpar for a leading player

20230906233418_1.thumb.jpg.82e7b102a549f0cc9c0dc2f19bb27884.jpg

4 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

After a good two seasons with boavista (3rd+2nd place and a cup), the start of season 3 feels as it is going poorly. The season already had a bad start when my star player and wonder(Tavares), golden booth last season demanded an improved contract. Unfortunately the board doesnt allow me to spend 50% of the wage budget on a single player, to which I agree. Luckily he is still 3y under contract, but had to quell various teammeetings and things got worse when we lost in the final CL playoff, prompting another teammeeting, which i managed to navigate.

While we were playing exciting football last season, cracks are beginning to show and we are mostly overperforming on xg and although its november, we are only 9 games far (and as you know there is a big gap between top in portugal and the remainder). Despite more possession and final third passes compared to last season, we struggle to get comfortable victories. I havent changed much in the tactic, only personel. I basicly want to bayern it: rectify what is going wrong now, rather than being too late

20230906232222_1.thumb.jpg.2d1b8c062fdaa4a472da6073f6fee96a.jpg

Part of the issue I feel is that despite more possession we dont get the ball to our strikers anymore. My wingers, midfielder and even sometimes my  fullbacks get more shots, despite most of them being on shoot less often. take this cupgame against Alcerva. Tavares and Morais have 2 shots between them, which is as much as my BWM Mukendi (who yes, is on shoot less often)...

20230906232818_1.thumb.jpg.9e384c05ab4cc1affff34e5e239cb56f.jpg

Also bonus question: I cant get this player to perform to his level. He is rated as a leading Bwin player but often scores the lowest ratings during the match. I used him in the past as a BWM, but a few too many red cards (dont know why, report doesnt say anything about him being a dirty player) made me switch him to the DM slot. He keeps hovering around the 6.8 rating, whcih i feel is subpar for a leading player

20230906233418_1.thumb.jpg.82e7b102a549f0cc9c0dc2f19bb27884.jpg

BWM will get a lot of cards by the nature of the role, when a player is on a yellow tell him to ease off tackles. With a BWM this requires a change of the role itself. It's also not a role that will provide end product or directly stop a goal, so you're less likely to see stellar ratings. He can run a lot (stamina, natural fitness, teamwork) which is worth a lot, every midfield 3 needs a player like this. You can tell him to pass it shorter, which could help if the players around him are technically excellent. I would look at yards covered for him and watch him in the ME rather than bank solely on match ratings. 

8 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

It could be any number of things but the the most obvious one to me is both wide forwards Get Further Forward which can compress the final third and have all sorts of knock on effects. Easiest change would be the IW to S 

Does he lose out on aerial duals? Can see in your one screenie he won 25% of headers, can see he has JR of 6 but everything else is solid. I ask this this because not winning headers effects match ratings quite a bit 

24 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

It could be any number of things but the the most obvious one to me is both wide forwards Get Further Forward which can compress the final third and have all sorts of knock on effects. Easiest change would be the IW to S 

Does he lose out on aerial duals? Can see in your one screenie he won 25% of headers, can see he has JR of 6 but everything else is solid. I ask this this because not winning headers effects match ratings quite a bit 

Yeah I noticed that about the headers, especially on strikers who arent tall but receive a goalkick, which heading battle they obviously lose. Still, his tackle% isnt as high as i expected either. and his phsical output doesnt stand out either.

Weirdly enough is quite creative

20230907093928_1.thumb.jpg.6cacdc7dac481af8ffbb8fde15b76a2a.jpg

5 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

BWM will get a lot of cards by the nature of the role, when a player is on a yellow tell him to ease off tackles. With a BWM this requires a change of the role itself. It's also not a role that will provide end product or directly stop a goal, so you're less likely to see stellar ratings. He can run a lot (stamina, natural fitness, teamwork) which is worth a lot, every midfield 3 needs a player like this. You can tell him to pass it shorter, which could help if the players around him are technically excellent. I would look at yards covered for him and watch him in the ME rather than bank solely on match ratings. 

Oh i know, but its not that he got second yellows. Just straight red for a bad tackle. About 3-4 in 2 seasons. I know he has dive into tackles but the coach report doesnt say nything about competitive streak or temperament. Hence I moved him to the DM slot, where the tackle harder inst locxked in.

I wonder whether a Pressing Forward is too limited of a role for your striker now that you have more possession and less space than previous seasons. 

I have similar thoughts regarding the left wingback on support duty, and having only a FB(s) on the right side. 

Edited by Prolix

15 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Yeah I noticed that about the headers, especially on strikers who arent tall but receive a goalkick, which heading battle they obviously lose. Still, his tackle% isnt as high as i expected either. and his phsical output doesnt stand out either.

Weirdly enough is quite creative

20230907093928_1.thumb.jpg.6cacdc7dac481af8ffbb8fde15b76a2a.jpg

Oh i know, but its not that he got second yellows. Just straight red for a bad tackle. About 3-4 in 2 seasons. I know he has dive into tackles but the coach report doesnt say nything about competitive streak or temperament. Hence I moved him to the DM slot, where the tackle harder inst locxked in.

Fairly determined personality is quite hmmm, bad. Basically it's balanced with determination. Media description can help give more indicators, but balanced can range from pretty okay to absolutely terrible. It's what SI sticks on players they either 1. don't know 2. don't want to say. 

A good personality BWM can help you out quite a lot. Also he can't really tackle that well for a BWM diving into tackles, which probably compounds the problem. I've picked up Ze Carlos in my own saves a couple time to run as BWM (he's professional if I remember) and never had big card issues on him.

Counter Press + Trigger more often + a BWM may be sending him into overdrive as well. My tactics aren't running either of those w the BWM to keep shape, so he may be getting stuck in a lot less of the time (+ higher quality opportunities to not commit a foul). 

Edited by Cloud9

21 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Fairly determined personality is quite hmmm, bad. Basically it's balanced with determination. Media description can help give more indicators, but balanced can range from pretty okay to absolutely terrible. It's what SI sticks on players they either 1. don't know 2. don't want to say. 

A good personality BWM can help you out quite a lot. Also he can't really tackle that well for a BWM diving into tackles, which probably compounds the problem. I've picked up Ze Carlos in my own saves a couple time to run as BWM (he's professional if I remember) and never had big card issues on him.

Counter Press + Trigger more often + a BWM may be sending him into overdrive as well. My tactics aren't running either of those w the BWM to keep shape, so he may be getting stuck in a lot less of the time (+ higher quality opportunities to not commit a foul). 

I know its not an amazing personality, but his coach report doesnt say anything about bad temperament or bad sportmanship.

Its true im a bit undecided between Ze Carlos and him for the BWM role. Although that might change now the board has accepted an offer for him. The only reasonable priced alternative i currently find is Chotard:

20230908224215_1.thumb.jpg.e0a88b198351d5ece35884690c9f0501.jpg

He does have the balanced personality and competitive streak, but would be used in the DM slot. He does have a better jumping reach, and doesnt do the dive into tackles

21 hours ago, Prolix said:

I wonder whether a Pressing Forward is too limited of a role for your striker now that you have more possession and less space than previous seasons. 

I have similar thoughts regarding the left wingback on support duty, and having only a FB(s) on the right side. 

I do switch between AF and PF

What wuld you change for the RB? I tend to keep him on Fullback because he isnt amazing at going forward+ he has an AP(a) on that side for which i want him to cover, and for the LB, so I basicly have a 3 man restdefence, as my DM is also on support

I know its not an amazing personality, but his coach report doesnt say anything about bad temperament or bad sportmanship.

Its true im a bit undecided between Ze Carlos and him for the BWM role. Although that might change now the board has accepted an offer for him. The only reasonable priced alternative i currently find is Chotard:

20230908224215_1.thumb.jpg.e0a88b198351d5ece35884690c9f0501.jpg

He does have the balanced personality and competitive streak, but would be used in the DM slot. He does have a better jumping reach, and doesnt do the dive into tackles

I do switch between AF and PF

What wuld you change for the RB? I tend to keep him on Fullback because he isnt amazing at going forward+ he has an AP(a) on that side for which i want him to cover, and for the LB, so I basicly have a 3 man restdefence, as my DM is also on support

Both look like strong options! I would heavily favor personality whenever possible. Things like pressure rating seem to impact red cards as well. at least in my experience. I don't have hard evidence for that, but enough key knockout games (promotion deciders etc.) have gone in my favor after an opponent picks up a red that it seems to be more than just correlation. 

Edited by Cloud9

3 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Both look like strong options! I would heavily favor personality whenever possible. Things like pressure rating seem to impact red cards as well. at least in my experience. I don't have hard evidence for that, but enough key knockout games (promotion deciders etc.) have gone in my favor after an opponent picks up a red that it seems to be more than just correlation. 

Might have thrown a curveball there :p a month ago the agent said i could have chotard for 7M, and then it suddenly was 15m+ which i didnt want to pay for a 23y old.

so payed it for a 20y old and i think you'll like the personality

Stirker is definitly getting more service with the IWs change

20230909093839_1.jpg

7 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Might have thrown a curveball there :p a month ago the agent said i could have chotard for 7M, and then it suddenly was 15m+ which i didnt want to pay for a 23y old.

so payed it for a 20y old and i think you'll like the personality

Stirker is definitly getting more service with the IWs change

20230909093839_1.jpg

:) Wow he, looks amazing. attributes in all the right places here.

Perfectionist personality is one of my favorites in the game. Got high ratings in all the innate ones (particularly like the high aggression), he's consistent, and 12's in all the mentals. Really nice pickup, looks like a champions league winning BWM you've got there. 

I would focus his individual training on upping his strength/aerial threat, which are both already at a really nice level. Maybe an individualized training to his bravery/heading could be nice as well. Fine him half a week's wage's whenever he has an off day, and you'll get his workrate into the green's after a season or two. 

A big fan of recruitment like this in general. U23 & can do a job for you now in your squad  + can grow as you play him.  

Edited by Cloud9

1 hour ago, Cloud9 said:

:) Wow he, looks amazing. attributes in all the right places here.

Perfectionist personality is one of my favorites in the game. Got high ratings in all the innate ones (particularly like the high aggression), he's consistent, and 12's in all the mentals. Really nice pickup, looks like a champions league winning BWM you've got there. 

I would focus his individual training on upping his strength/aerial threat, which are both already at a really nice level. Maybe an individualized training to his bravery/heading could be nice as well. Fine him half a week's wage's whenever he has an off day, and you'll get his workrate into the green's after a season or two. 

A big fan of recruitment like this in general. U23 & can do a job for you now in your squad  + can grow as you play him.  

I remembered the namefrom one of BTN's stream, hence

Also plottwist, the board went over my head and sold ze carlos.... so I had to get  Chotard anyway

prolix mentioned something about the RB, changing his role. But I feel like I have the correct idea by making him less offensive than his LB counterpart?

Also one thing i didnt mention was that a change of goalkeeper definitly helped turn things around

Edited by eXistenZ

9 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

I remembered the namefrom one of BTN's stream, hence

Also plottwist, the board went over my head and sold ze carlos.... so I had to get  Chotard anyway

prolix mentioned something about the RB, changing his role. But I feel like I have the correct idea by making him less offensive than his LB counterpart?

Also one thing i didnt mention was that a change of goalkeeper definitly helped turn things around

I think having both wingbacks go forward is a personal choice, I like to separate the two roles where one is more defensively minded than the other. Since you're sitting top of the league, letting them go forward isn't a bad idea for domestic football where you are likely becoming a giant. I doesn't look like an area that I would address in games where I wasn't heavily favored. Having the FB(s) run wide the ball can give you some width down the right hand side, which will be needed anyways (IW will cut inside even w/stay wider). I don't agree on the PF(a) being a limited role, and think it plays into the tactic you're building (hard hitting frontline + industrious midfield). 

I would look to specialize your tactic a little instead. You're currently a high press (counter press, lines + more often), but it's time to pick a side. What exactly do you want the tactic to do? Pushing the roles/players to maximize synergies can help you achieve European success. 

If you want to execute a gegenpress style: high press, narrowing the width and replacing the AP(a) could be strong next steps. Your current midfield doesn't offer a goal threat which is a problem. Adding a MEZ(s is a great answer and combines with your setup. That gives you a forward runner who will break some ankles for you on the way if he's got the right attributes. Costa looks like a natural Mez(s) so that might be an easy transition to make :) 

• Are you playing Faticanti as an 8 or a 6? If he's in the 8, you could bring in a Regista to operate behind the two 8's and provide creativity from deep. It's a role I've really liked using in a 4-3-3, he roams defensively (sideways), is screened by the pressing 8's, and offers killer passes. 
  • If you want to commit to a press, upping the mentality will see an uptick in intensity & a bit more risk taken. 
  • An AP can be a great squad player/match changer to bring on from the bench when "we go for it" isn't working (see Newcastle's struggles atm IRL), but as a staple in a 4-3-3 I find them lacking. You'll want the goal threat + defensive contribution the role usually lacks. 
  • Adding pace to the backline so you can play a "very high" line relatively safely, which will enable your press. The FB(s) will still be relevant with such an approach.
    • Was checking out the CB partnership and they both look a bit short too, one tall boy in a back 4 is quite useful. 
  • I'm not familiar with the current striker you're running, but height on a solo 9 (esp on attack duty) is quite important in a 4-3-3. If he doesn't have it, looking to upgrade that role could be a nice touch. 

If that's not what you're looking for, you could go for a 4-2-3-1 and champion the AP in the hole, drop you're line back and play a defensive first midblock w/ ur AF, or look to invert a wingback a stretch the pitch a little.

What you end up progressing into is totally up to you & what kind of football you want to see played by your team. Whatever direction: starting to find synergies that fit your tactic will build on the base you have now. If in doubt on what to do.. look at the 2-3 best players in your squad and play to their strengths. 

Edited by Cloud9

On 10/09/2023 at 04:27, Cloud9 said:

I think having both wingbacks go forward is a personal choice, I like to separate the two roles where one is more defensively minded than the other. Since you're sitting top of the league, letting them go forward isn't a bad idea for domestic football where you are likely becoming a giant. I doesn't look like an area that I would address in games where I wasn't heavily favored. Having the FB(s) run wide the ball can give you some width down the right hand side, which will be needed anyways (IW will cut inside even w/stay wider). I don't agree on the PF(a) being a limited role, and think it plays into the tactic you're building (hard hitting frontline + industrious midfield). 

I would look to specialize your tactic a little instead. You're currently a high press (counter press, lines + more often), but it's time to pick a side. What exactly do you want the tactic to do? Pushing the roles/players to maximize synergies can help you achieve European success. 

If you want to execute a gegenpress style: high press, narrowing the width and replacing the AP(a) could be strong next steps. Your current midfield doesn't offer a goal threat which is a problem. Adding a MEZ(s is a great answer and combines with your setup. That gives you a forward runner who will break some ankles for you on the way if he's got the right attributes. Costa looks like a natural Mez(s) so that might be an easy transition to make :) 

• Are you playing Faticanti as an 8 or a 6? If he's in the 8, you could bring in a Regista to operate behind the two 8's and provide creativity from deep. It's a role I've really liked using in a 4-3-3, he roams defensively (sideways), is screened by the pressing 8's, and offers killer passes. 
  • If you want to commit to a press, upping the mentality will see an uptick in intensity & a bit more risk taken. 
  • An AP can be a great squad player/match changer to bring on from the bench when "we go for it" isn't working (see Newcastle's struggles atm IRL), but as a staple in a 4-3-3 I find them lacking. You'll want the goal threat + defensive contribution the role usually lacks. 
  • Adding pace to the backline so you can play a "very high" line relatively safely, which will enable your press. The FB(s) will still be relevant with such an approach.
    • Was checking out the CB partnership and they both look a bit short too, one tall boy in a back 4 is quite useful. 
  • I'm not familiar with the current striker you're running, but height on a solo 9 (esp on attack duty) is quite important in a 4-3-3. If he doesn't have it, looking to upgrade that role could be a nice touch. 

If that's not what you're looking for, you could go for a 4-2-3-1 and champion the AP in the hole, drop you're line back and play a defensive first midblock w/ ur AF, or look to invert a wingback a stretch the pitch a little.

What you end up progressing into is totally up to you & what kind of football you want to see played by your team. Whatever direction: starting to find synergies that fit your tactic will build on the base you have now. If in doubt on what to do.. look at the 2-3 best players in your squad and play to their strengths. 

I dont really have an AM so ill definitly stick with the 433.

Faticanti will probably stay in the 8 slot. He is a perfect BWM and I dont feel a solo BWM in the dm slot is a good fit.

Unfortunately dont really have a pure regista type, although Chotard could do a DLP role with Perez as backup. would that work?

As for the defender, already made that upgrade to a tall boy.

20230912193434_1.thumb.jpg.769e284d8436bab6bb1e4c1d281e813c.jpg

As for my striker, he is a bit of a freak. okay height with 186cm. but scores for fun, especially with the change to IWs

20230912193722_1.thumb.jpg.a50e287000c3f373a0e80ad1d0a189d6.jpg

Unfortunately no idea if I'll be able to keep him this summer.

So it would be something like this?

20230912194149_1.thumb.jpg.5b5e1eeb1388dd3571a8ab576d38aff8.jpg

3 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

I dont really have an AM so ill definitly stick with the 433.

Faticanti will probably stay in the 8 slot. He is a perfect BWM and I dont feel a solo BWM in the dm slot is a good fit.

Unfortunately dont really have a pure regista type, although Chotard could do a DLP role with Perez as backup. would that work?

As for the defender, already made that upgrade to a tall boy.

20230912193434_1.thumb.jpg.769e284d8436bab6bb1e4c1d281e813c.jpg

As for my striker, he is a bit of a freak. okay height with 186cm. but scores for fun, especially with the change to IWs

20230912193722_1.thumb.jpg.a50e287000c3f373a0e80ad1d0a189d6.jpg

Unfortunately no idea if I'll be able to keep him this summer.

So it would be something like this?

20230912194149_1.thumb.jpg.5b5e1eeb1388dd3571a8ab576d38aff8.jpg

Hm, I do like Faticanti in the 8 as well. If you're running Chotard in the DM that's fine, he looks quite solid. Would keep him as the DM(s) w/ his attribute distribution I think. If you're going to stick with him, that gives you a really defensively responsible middle of the park and you can probably tell your RB to go forward as well as the left back. Think Calegari is quite an offensive FB anyways so that's probably the best fit for your current personnel. I'd look to upgrade on Chotard this summer w/ a star DM who can also ping it around for fun, but yea up to you there. 

New center back looks great, 17 anticipation + consistent/enjoys big matches is a pretty perfect setup for a Left footed center back. 

I'm not actually that big on your striker. Great physical distribution but I wouldn't want a solo striker that has inconsistency in him. If a big bid comes in I'd pretty happily move him on. For a spearhead striker I look for that physical distribution + top off the ball. He's really well rounded but nothing irreplaceable for a high lines approach. 

That tactical setup looks pretty decent, I'd still move the mentality up to positive for your domestic games. 

Edited by Cloud9

9 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Im very biased towards clubgrown players....

For mentality, im usually switching between balanced and attacking (as positive gives me shorter passing. I find this leads to a lot of possession but not a lot of danger)

All good, figuring out the parameters you want to play in is a huge part of a save & homegrown talent is quite cool. 

If you want to hold onto him for the very long term, you can start to turn around that inconsistency but it will take years to do :) 

On mentality, you could try lowering the tempo/stretching the pitch sometimes if you aren't creating chances (deviating from the go for it press).  Your style can struggle against a compact block that doesn't come out to play (makes it difficult to turn the ball over and score if they don't want it in the first place). Match momentum can be helpful to watch for strong moments to use this. 

Edited by Cloud9

On 06/09/2023 at 21:50, Cloud9 said:

I do the same thing for my midfield. I play a 4-3-3 wing play tactic with a DM, and all play is focused down the sides. My MCs and DM generally end up with ratings between 6.6 and 6.8 if they don't provide an assist, score a goal, or are otherwise busier than usual. For a while I was rotating people in there to try and find someone who got higher ratings, but eventually I thought about it and realized that, due to the nature of my tactic, the central midfielders' roles are much less involved than at other teams, they're basically there to provide outlets for the winger and fullbacks as they make their way up the field, make the odd run into the box, find the odd pass, and keep the other team from coming up the middle. Naturally, evaluators will see that they play far fewer passes than other players in their position, and presumably that's why their match ratings are always ****.