things that annoy a longtime player

I will list a few points here that I noticed in FM23 and in some cases even in the years before. If I think of more, I'll add them to the first post.

1. If you have already offered a contract to a player you want to buy and then want to improve it, because you can see, that he has also received offers from better clubs, you can give him more money but you cannot upgrade the role promised to him, e.g. regular starter to important player.

2. If you invite a player without a contract, who has already received one or more contract offers from other clubs, to a trial session, he will always sign directly with one of these clubs afterwards.

3. in real life, there are many players every year, who have an uncertain future up to 1-2 months before the end of their contract or beyond. e.g. firmino and skriniar whose contract expired and they signed for new clubs after the end of the   contract

In FM all these players have all extended their contracts with their clubs by november at the latest and there is no chance of a good player on a free transfer

These are valid points and I agree with your observations. However, if they already could simply have 'rounds' of negotiations instead of these arbitrary '3 strikes and we're out' kind of things, I'll be on cloud nine. From there they could simply apply your input and work from there. Nevertheless, I have a high suspicion that FM24 won't be bringing any of these items and perhaps not even FM25, due to it's entire rework.  

10 hours ago, xredschix said:

I will list a few points here that I noticed in FM23 and in some cases even in the years before. If I think of more, I'll add them to the first post.

1. If you have already offered a contract to a player you want to buy and then want to improve it, because you can see, that he has also received offers from better clubs, you can give him more money but you cannot upgrade the role promised to him, e.g. regular starter to important player.

2. If you invite a player without a contract, who has already received one or more contract offers from other clubs, to a trial session, he will always sign directly with one of these clubs afterwards.

3. in real life, there are many players every year, who have an uncertain future up to 1-2 months before the end of their contract or beyond. e.g. firmino and skriniar whose contract expired and they signed for new clubs after the end of the   contract

In FM all these players have all extended their contracts with their clubs by november at the latest and there is no chance of a good player on a free transfer

Your 3rd point is very valid and I hope SI will implement this in future version. Running down club contracts are becoming more popular among the footballers now a days. I can hope this also reflects in the game.

11 hours ago, xredschix said:

All very valid and good points here. Although Skriniar is probably a bad example to use here, as he signed with PSG already in winter, many months before his Inter contract expired. Of course PSG didn't officially announce the signing until July, but his future hasn't been uncertain for several months now. (See for example this Mkhitaryan's interview back in February where he already talks about Skriniar going to PSG.)

The second point is actually realistic. Players tend to sign with clubs who express DEFINITE interest in him (e.g. contract offer). You're jumping on the train in the last minute by offering him a trial (indicating that you're not so sure about his abilities and future role in the club).

Players in professional football seek playing time the most. So it's very usual that they accept offers that include less money, but convince them that they're part of the club's/manager's first team plans.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Draakon:

The second point is actually realistic. Players tend to sign with clubs who express DEFINITE interest in him (e.g. contract offer). You're jumping on the train in the last minute by offering him a trial (indicating that you're not so sure about his abilities and future role in the club).

I understand your point. The problem isn't that they refuse my trial, but that they always sign with another club as soon as I ask. Never 1 or 2 days later or 1 week later. Always immediately.

When you play FM with a friend and he wants to sign a free agent and he is waiting for the players decision, he only needs to ask you to offer the player a trial session and he makes his decision in a second.

On 11/07/2023 at 18:32, xredschix said:

Every season I have players across my squads, saying that they only have 18 months left on their contract, and as such they would be considering their options.

Some of those players will eventually negotiate, but I have lost some very good players.  As you say, shame it doesn't happen the other way round. 

The 18 months is infuriating.

You're on your best season ever, on course to break the club record for league finishing. And then end of february comes one of your best players 'im gonna explore my options in 1.5y. Nobody is interested atm and nobody will, but f*** you manager"

Dude at least save that for May. Its good to SI implemented it as a lot of players wont extend no matter what, but the timing is so poor. If you want a calm season, you basicly need to have 3y contracts in july