Custom league skipping a season

QuakesFan90

I'm currently working on a USA pyramid with regional subdivisions which includes almost every default U.S.-based club in the game. The season runs from March to October and season update is Jan. 1 each year. I've run a few tests and recently noticed a couple of strange problems:

1. The third season is consistently being skipped. The first two seasons in 2022 and 2023 sim with almost no problems (see item 2), the third season in 2024 just doesn't do anything, no update on Jan. 1, no games played, nothing, and then the fourth season in 2025 continues like nothing happened. I ran a sim 10 years into the future and the 2024 season is the only one which was skipped.

2. The first division is broken into 16 regional conferences, with the winner of each qualifying to a playoff. St. Louis City SC and Charlotte FC are in separate conferences. On season update day following the first season, Charlotte FC is dropped from their conference for no apparent reason. The same thing happens to St. Louis City SC on season update day following the second season. I've made sure both teams have their "next division" set to none, but I'm assuming them being MLS expansion franchises in the first two seasons of this iteration of the game has something to do with it. There are no other clubs that are dropped from their conferences, though some are shuffled to different conference after Charlotte and St. Louis are dropped.

I initially assumed that Charlotte FC and then St. Louis City being removed from their conferences had something to do with the problem, but in my most recent test I removed both clubs from their conferences and replaced them with a couple of amateur sides and still had the skip. I double-checked my dates: all my divisions finished by October 31, leaving plenty of time for playoffs, which generally finish by about mid-November. There are a few cup competitions as well, but all finish by September.

I'm at a loss and hoping someone might have some ideas as to what's going on. Thanks.

This sounds like setup dates and season dates somewhere coming so close together that at one moment the season date goes over the setup date (for the next season).

Can you upload your files?

Moving the "Season End Date" seems to have fixed the issue. Midway through the previously problematic 2024 and the seasons are all underway as expected.

Charlotte FC and St. Louis City are both still being removed from their divisions at the end of the 2022 and 2023 seasons, respectively. If you've got any insight into that it would be much appreciated, otherwise I'll either create dupes and see if they work or omit them entirely.

Edited by QuakesFan90

9 hours ago, QuakesFan90 said:

Oh ffs...I just realized the "Season End Date" is set to Dec. 31, not Dec. 1 like I thought it was. Updated that to Dec. 1 and running a new sim now.

The dates will move slightly through the week, like 15th of June will be a Saturday next year). And that creates the situation that the season end date is behind your setup date.

The teams being removed is one I have no idea about how to fix it other than replacing them with a copy.

Just a tip as well since you are working on a huge database, especially for the US, is to also make sure that you have enough stadiums for ALL the teams/leagues/cups that you depend on using. As similarly with my Japan database I had a similar issue in that there were soo many competitions/tournaments being held that scheduling got backlogged for cup competitions and would be delayed till after the season end/start date causing skips to happen. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just ran into this same problem with a custom British/Irish isles league in FM21. Thanks for sharing your experience. It makes me more confident in continuing with season 4, knowing that other seasons should work. (Of course, I might not have just bought FM23 to start over on a Celtic nations league had I read your post earlier ...)