Important players going away on youth matches

I'm in the middle of my second season at Arsenal and in january, several players are unavailable for me due to them going away on some youth tournament. We are talking established first team players like Martinelli and my new multimillion signing, Ugarte. This is in the middle of a packed match program. In fact, i'm having difficulites mustering a lineup not consisting of reserve players.

Is this normal in the real world? I can't recall this happened in january. In game i'm powerless to stop it.

It happened to me playing in Spain. Some players got assigned to the youth team automatically if they were in bad shape (for example after an injury, but not necessarily). I managed to change it somewhere in the options related to youth team management/squad management or something like that... but I do not remember exactly where

Edited by el_manayer

No, that is not the issue! I should have been more clear: Martinelli and Ugarte went away to a u23 youth championship in january. They are first team starters for me. I can understand players going away for the africa championship, as that is national teams on the highest level. But youth tournaments should not take away players in the first team without the option to refuse.

Edited by V3ntricity