Training with a busy schedule

This comes question and a partial suggestion possibly.

For busy teams with domestic and continental commitments where its multiple weeks of midweek games - how do you handle training? Giving the whole team off after a match seems sensible for star players but those on the fringes/lesser used squad rotation probably should be training to keep their attributes up.

Is  it as tedious as selecting the players who participated in the last match and give them a rest for a day while the others do a full training? Or is there a better way to do this?

I usually take my regular schedule(s), split them in two to have all elements still represented by alternating usage and then as you said give main players a day off here and there. Current save is in Brazil, so lots of games. Usually schedule training after a match but usually a lighter one than other days, just in case.

Also, the game kinda sort already has an option to automate it quite a bit: Go the the "Rest" tab (i think under training), where you can set at what fitness a player will do regular training, double 'effort' (not what it's called, the exact wording escapes me right now), half effort or no training at all. Mark all players, set them to "auto" and set the thresholds up top as you want them. I actually have it to "double" for those with full green fitness during low-congestion, change it back to normal for high congestion, excepting the odd bench player with potential. Otherwise use the defaults.

You could also set a higher threshold for half/normal to guaranteee more Rest Days if you wanted to.

Edited by Marinho

7 hours ago, Marinho said:

I usually take my regular schedule(s), split them in two to have all elements still represented by alternating usage and then as you said give main players a day off here and there. Current save is in Brazil, so lots of games. Usually schedule training after a match but usually a lighter one than other days, just in case.

Also, the game kinda sort already has an option to automate it quite a bit: Go the the "Rest" tab (i think under training), where you can set at what fitness a player will do regular training, double 'effort' (not what it's called, the exact wording escapes me right now), half effort or no training at all. Mark all players, set them to "auto" and set the thresholds up top as you want them. I actually have it to "double" for those with full green fitness during low-congestion, change it back to normal for high congestion, excepting the odd bench player with potential. Otherwise use the defaults.

You could also set a higher threshold for half/normal to guaranteee more Rest Days if you wanted to.

I completely forgot about the individual player tab. I do have them set to auto currently. 

I do wish there was a way to explicitly mark and option to rest players who are marked as tired after the previous match as rest and carry out a more complete training schedule for those who don't play. I suppose its not entirely realistic though.

On the off chance you're unaware, you can cntrl click, or better yet shift click to select multiple players at once, who you can then set to rest by right clicking. If the squad is sorted by selection it's a total of 4 clicks to rest your 1st eleven.

Easy to forget to rest them in the first place though. An option to do it automatically could be nice, but I imagine that's moving away from reality since everyone probably fancies a day off once in a while!

Yeah, lowering the training load and/or resting players is a way to go. 
However, I find it way more effective to have (max.) 3 rotations in the starting 11 against weaker opponents and substitute important players early if there is a safe lead against any opponent, even if they still have energy.

Works well for me 

I've just noticed that in the training tab, under 'Rest', you actually can make it so that players on low condition can automatically be set to 'no pitch or gym work', so I guess it's already in the game! Wonder how long that's been there 🤔 

23 minutes ago, vrig said:

I've just noticed that in the training tab, under 'Rest', you actually can make it so that players on low condition can automatically be set to 'no pitch or gym work', so I guess it's already in the game! Wonder how long that's been there 🤔 

Since FM19 if I remember correctly. You have to choose "Automatic" in order to take the Rest tab action. :)