How do I emulate this tactic?

This is how my favorite team play in their build-up. They line up in a 4-3-3 and play a vertical tiki-taka type of play. How would you set up the player roles of this team in FM 22?

I have tried the following:

RB: Inverted full back. Problem: I want to use him as a wide centre back but instead he plays like a dm.

CB's: CB

LB. Inverted full back

CM 9: Mezalla
DM: BWM

CM 11: DLP.Problem: He stays fairly narrow despite instructions going wide. How do i get him to this position?

RW: inverted winger

St: DLF

LW: Inside forward

gaistaktik.jpg

Edited by Belkemi1

Actually i think you are not too far off with your interpretation of roles and instructions. You may want to try a right FB sitting more narrow on a support or defend duty, eventhough it wont work perfectly. The ME has some challanges with such specific patters of players movement outside of their desired position. 

Hi @Belkemi1,
Can I ask you which Team are you trying to emulate?.
Do you have to have a back four? So by your positions I guess the Team defends in a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3? and you want to emulate the defensive part as well?
If you don't care so much about the defensive part why not switch to a back three?

Like so:

image.png.ad57d4687cc69d210e2f7257acc07a68.png

Obviously you can replace the BPD-St with a wide centerback. I am not on FM-22 so I don't know how a Wide-Cb acts though.
By having the "Dm" in the central midfield the DLP should be pushed out a little bit further maybe enough for you to be statisfied? If not maybe now the stay wider is helpful? Does he have to be a DLP though? A carrilero while more attacking is even more focused on staying wider than other CMs
You could also pull the BWM and the DLP back into the DM strata so they are even more defensive.
This plays "weird" to me at least, in the few friendlies I have played it sometimes replicates your arrow movements. But not knowing what really should be happening I can't decided if this goes in the right direction.

If you want to transpose the back four into a back three with a full back tucking in, and the other side cb stepping out a bit, I think we are currently out of luck as I am unaware we can replicate such a movement.
As you said the "logical" choice Inverted Wingback Defend acts as a additional DM not a CB.
Sure a FB-De or a defensive-Fb stay back but three at the back will not shift to cover the center of the pitch better it will always be this lopsided look...

I would say something like this? Fairly similar to how I've been playing on recent saves. 

2 - RB - Inverted Wing Back - Support
3 - CB - Centre Back - Cover
4 - CB - Centre Back - Stopper (w/Stay Wide instruction)
6 - LB - Complete Wing Back - Support

This should create the back three. The Right Back will move forward into midfield when suitable, and the Left Back will rampage forward. 

10 - DM - Deep Lying Playmaker - Defend

11 - MC - Carrilero - Support (or Mezzala - Support)
Either of these two roles will have your midfielder take up half-spaces in wider positions. Carrilero is more conservative, and Mezzala more offensive. 

9 - MC - Centre Midfielder - Attack (or B2B - Support)

5 - AMR - Inverted Winger - Support (w/Stay Wide Instruction)

11- AML - Inside Forward - Attack

8 - ST - Deep Lying Forward - Support

Would also add the Overlap Left Team Instruction to increase the mentality of the IF and CWB. 

14 hours ago, Spiegel said:

I would say something like this? Fairly similar to how I've been playing on recent saves. 

2 - RB - Inverted Wing Back - Support
3 - CB - Centre Back - Cover
4 - CB - Centre Back - Stopper (w/Stay Wide instruction)
6 - LB - Complete Wing Back - Support

This should create the back three. The Right Back will move forward into midfield when suitable, and the Left Back will rampage forward. 

10 - DM - Deep Lying Playmaker - Defend

11 - MC - Carrilero - Support (or Mezzala - Support)
Either of these two roles will have your midfielder take up half-spaces in wider positions. Carrilero is more conservative, and Mezzala more offensive. 

9 - MC - Centre Midfielder - Attack (or B2B - Support)

5 - AMR - Inverted Winger - Support (w/Stay Wide Instruction)

11- AML - Inside Forward - Attack

8 - ST - Deep Lying Forward - Support

Would also add the Overlap Left Team Instruction to increase the mentality of the IF and CWB. 

i would say this is exactly how arsenal play

1 hour ago, halfspace3000 said:

i would say this is exactly how arsenal play

I'd argue that Gabriel Jesus is more of a pressing forward than anything. His defensive ability is exceedingly good for an attacker, including his pressing rate. 

Also, not sure IWB(s) is the right for how Ben White plays, mostly because the IWB on support ends up pretty far upfield centrally. I'd argue FB(d) with sit narrower is more appropriate for how the match engine functions. I could be wrong, of course! 

To recreate the attacking movement in the OP id say: (matching mostly what others have said)

ST - PF/s

LW - IW/s (stay wider PI)

RW - IF/a (stay wider PI)

CML - CM/d (stay wider PI)

CMR - CM/a

DM - DLP/d

LB - FB/a (sit narrower/cut inside PI) or CWB/a

CDL - CB/s

CDR - CB/c

RB - FB/d or WB/d (sit narrower PI)

GK - SK/d