FM20 - Does age affects players performances in other ways than decreasing attributes?

Stobby84

Hello  everybody,

I am opening this thread since I have some of my players that are turning over 31 (Sané, Keita) and I have noticed that, even if their attributes are still outstanding their average performances in matches lowered significantly (from a solid 7.2 to a less interesting 6.6).

The squad and the tactics are basically the same, and I have seen this "behaviour" also on some strikers.

I was therefore wandering, does the game (I am still playing FM20) takes somehow in account the age and makes players less effective or is it, maybe, just an impression that I have?

In real life I would expect that they need to rest more often, become more injury prone, etc.. but I was wondering, from game mechanics point of view, if there is any kind of hidden attributes linked with age which impacts performances.

Replacing them with a high potential player often is a much better solution even if, on paper, his attributes are much lower than those ones of the champions.

Thank you!

Have a good day!

Edited by Stobby84

• Stobby84 changed the title to FM20 - Does age affects players performances in other ways than decreasing attributes?

No 'hidden' attribute; the game goes by what we can see. Once their physical attributes start to decline, in some players that can be quite stark over a season. You might find you have to manage their minutes and accept that their pace isn't what it was, for example. There is a 'peak' age, depending on the player and position at which attributes plateaux and then decline. For goalkeepers, the age is considerably higher than for strikers. As a manager, you do need to have a long-term strategy to replacing ageing players with younger blood.

Some attributes decline naturally with age, but several mental attributes see a good rise during the 30s so for some positions it can be a great advantage. A quick example is a centre back whose pace and agility will decrease but if you play a low block that's not important, whereas attributes like anticipation, concentration, decisions are important and can rise almost until the player retires.

There are AI Managers inside the game which improve (or not) their clubs (any kind of improvement). You are not playing alone in the desert. Maybe AI have see in his Data Hub that your Sane player is a dangerous one and have closed it properly; as an example. Maybe the AI have improved their left - right backs which can do a better defensive job which gonna result that your player gonna have a little difficult job to do; as an example.

As I said, you are not playing alone. 27-31 is the peak age for mostly positions to enjoy good performance and balance. 6.6 is playing ok. 7.0 is above average-expected performance (can’t perform 7.0 always). 6.2 is time for bench.