What does this qualified teams screen do?

\'Appy \'Ammer

I've tried a different way to run the European Cup Winners Cup, but the competition won't begin.

I removed the competition from the "Continent>Teams" screen.

I then entered each National cup competition into the Qualified Teams in "UEFA Cup WInners Cup>Stages>Teams>Qualified Teams". Underneath this I set the seedings and the 3 rounds where these seeded teams would enter into the competiton.

Why won't the competiton run? I am doing it this way as there is an option to use a runner up as a replacement team. Can anyone tell me how to get this to work?

ECWC Qualified teams pt1.jpg

ECWC Qualified teams pt2.jpg

Yes. I've had the competition working but when the nation cup winner has won the league, the game is allocating the cup winners cup place to a league position. In this scenario I want the cup runners up to enter the cup winners cup.

I just cannot achieve this.

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

Do you mean without listing all the competitions? As at the moment I have all competitions listed with those ticked and selected as in your screenshot, but I can't get the competition to start. The only way I can get it to work is by removing what you have there and going back to what I had originally (in continent >teams) where it pulls the teams without giving me option to have a runners up. 

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer
Spelling

No, I meant the box but you're already using it then it doesn't help.  wouldn't you originally have the teams in stages-teams? That's where I find teams in my vanilla advanced rules, 

EDIT: I see in your ts that you mention you have the selection in Cupwinners cup-stages-teams-qualified teams but the screenshot doesn't support that. you  have it in cupwinners cup-teams-qualified teams. 

I'm not convinced it matters but for the sake of clarity. 

Edited by Fredrik

2 hours ago, Fredrik said:

EDIT: I see in your ts that you mention you have the selection in Cupwinners cup-stages-teams-qualified teams but the screenshot doesn't support that. you  have it in cupwinners cup-teams-qualified teams. 

I'm not convinced it matters but for the sake of clarity. 

You're quite right, that was my mistake in the first post. It is in "Uefa Cup Winners Cup >teams >qualified teams"

2 hours ago, Fredrik said:

wouldn't you originally have the teams in stages-teams? That's where I find teams in my vanilla advanced rules, 

I have not put the teams in the stages section because I want the game to choose the seedings, and if, from what I have read, the coeffiecients are working in the FM for edited databases. So, for example, if San Marino (seed 54) moves up 1 place in the coefficeints to 53, then they would go straight into the qualifying round. If I put them in the stages section of stage 0 they would permanently be in the preliminary round. 

Have I got that right, or does it not work like that?

18 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I have not put the teams in the stages section because I want the game to choose the seedings, and if, from what I have read, the coeffiecients are working in the FM for edited databases. So, for example, if San Marino (seed 54) moves up 1 place in the coefficeints to 53, then they would go straight into the qualifying round. If I put them in the stages section of stage 0 they would permanently be in the preliminary round. 

Have I got that right, or does it not work like that?

I think you're right but that just brings us back to why ticking the box to choosing the runners up in case the cup winner qualified elsewhere. I don't have the answer if that box didn't work. 

44 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

I think you're right but that just brings us back to why ticking the box to choosing the runners up in case the cup winner qualified elsewhere. I don't have the answer if that box didn't work. 

Thanks for your input @Fredrik, it is appreciated as this has thrown me. When I originally set this up, it was only after testing the file in a holiday game that I saw the 7th place in the league was getting the cup winners cup spot, when the fa cup winners had also won the league. Very frustrating .

Sounds like you haven't set up the stages to actually draw the teams. You should put "Get Qualified Teams for comp" and then set the seeding of qualified teams to the one you want to pull into that stage and also make sure to tick the remove selected teams box so they're taken out of the qualified list and won't reappear again in a later stage unless they qualify.

Then set "Get qualified teams from stage" referencing the previous stage for teams that move onto the next stage, or "get qualified teams for comp" again for teams entering the new stage. Although if it's straight knockout you should only have one stage anyway, so just pull them all into that stage from the start.

Also, this set up is entirely separate from regular European qualification. Seedings will not change, ever. How you have it set up now is how it will always be. Any changes to coefficients lists won't matter, this doesn't use them. If you want to use dynamic qualification based on coefficients then your only option is through the Continent > Teams section.

Edited by rusty217

That's interesting what you've written there @rusty217. I set this up using 6 stages, and 1 round in each one. Maybe I should have gone with the 1 stage , and then 6 rounds in that stage? Then set up the qualified teams within that 1 stage structure?

I rebuilt the file last night as it was turning into a right mess. This version I've uploaded has the following issues: When nation is in Euro Cup then the ECWC spot goes to the 2nd place in the league. I want to get the runners up of the cup to enter the ECWC and the league placings from 2nd downwards reserved for the UEFA Cup spots.

Another issue is better highlighted using the attached holiday game save file. I let it run overnight and added some more leagues this morning. It's run up to Sep 2073. Just looking back at league tables of previous years you will see there are would be numerous qualifiers for the UEFA Cup (UEC). But the reality is the UEFA cup is taking the correct amount of teams that I have set for that country. I don't know how to stop the league table showing this fake information. Also checking the league rules of any league it will show the 2nd place is designated ECWC spot when that shouldn't be the case. There is a little info 'i' next to it saying depending on winner of nation's cup. This info 'i' is also present in one of the UEFA cup spots. 

Thanks in advance if anyone could have a peek at this. Maybe, as said above, the problem is in how I have set this up with the stages and rounds.

Oh, and for a bit of fun, check out TNS making it to European Cup Winners Cup final, losing to Barcelona. They scraped through a couple of rounds on away goals :):D

appy 80s europe 9.3.xml