What makes a good nonleague central defender?

steve.battisti

So, I'm running a nonleague save, playing a system with two central defenders (CD-D). I'm bored today and playing with numbers. I have a spreadsheet that I found somewhere that gives each player a score at each position. I figured out that the calculation for CD-D is looking equally at these attributes:

Heading
Marking
Tackling
Bravery
Composure
Concentration
Decisions
Positioning
Jumping
Pace
Strength
Aggression

These are specifically the attributes that display when you select that role/duty in FM. 

But, the calculation I'm looking at doesn't give preference or weighting to any of these, not even the distinction between "key" and "important" attributes based on the shading in FM. And of course, what is most important in a nonleague defender is likely not the same as what would be important in a Premier League defender.

So, just for a bit of a lark, if you were building such a calculation for a nonleague CD-D, which abilities would you weight more or less? Would you add any other abilities or remove any?

Non league is generally all about the physical frankly..... if you look at the physical attributes needed first, and then look towards the mental and technical you'll not go wrong...

Generally speaking, looking this hard into a non league CB is madness.....   anyone with relative pace, strength who can vaguely mark, tackle and head.. you'll be fine

1 hour ago, Welshace said:

Generally speaking, looking this hard into a non league CB is madness.....   anyone with relative pace, strength who can vaguely mark, tackle and head.. you'll be fine

Hey, let's be honest. The amount of time most of us spend obsessing over a football sim is madness regardless. I don't think my little obsession is any worse or better than the rest. :)

But I agree it's more about the physical. I DO think it's interesting that in three replies I've gotten three different answers:

• pace, strength, mark, tackle, heading
  • pace, acceleration
  • tackling, heading, marking, height, weight, strength

On 25/01/2022 at 14:23, steve.battisti said:

Hey, let's be honest. The amount of time most of us spend obsessing over a football sim is madness regardless. I don't think my little obsession is any worse or better than the rest. :)

But I agree it's more about the physical. I DO think it's interesting that in three replies I've gotten three different answers:

• pace, strength, mark, tackle, heading
  • pace, acceleration
  • tackling, heading, marking, height, weight, strength

Oh no, don't get me wrong! you're preaching to the choir here! i'm obsessed with scouting every minor detail from of every minor player from every minor country and league... its kinda my thing...

I just meant to say that we shouldn't hahha..

I don't think they are 3 different answers....  my answer and the next one both prioritise physical attributes and then the basic  technicals and so does the third really

• 2 weeks later...