5-3-2 - FBs/WBs who come deep for the ball but break forward in attack

Hey folks,

I'm my current career I've been using a 5-3-2 that's somewhat similar to the system used by Atalanta i.e. I mostly play down the sides of the pitch, with diamonds shapes for passing on each side created by a wide DLF, a CM, a wide WB and a WCB.

A common issue I'm having is that when I put the WB on Support, Automatic or Attack duties they push high up the pitch as soon as my team has possession, basically pushing right on to the opposing FB and to almost the same height up the field as the forward. This tends to break the diamond shape and I often find that when the ball goes out to the WCB, he can't easily pass to the WB because they're so far up the field, so they just pass back inside and I lose the width in my formation (image from second half of a game, attacking right to left in yellow).

647354074_5-3-2highWB.jpg.1d6df387e157d520a3d1219beea21fb6.jpg

What has been working better to create the diamonds is when I put the WBs on the Defend setting (seen here in the first half of the same game, attacking left to right). This usually gives the WCB three forward passing options (CM, DLF or WB), or a safe ball inside to either the CB, keeper or the DLP I'm using. 

500579810_5-3-2defensiveWB.jpg.6eff7baf676fc69d3b60f9aebde34b82.jpg

The problem I'm having is that with the WBs set to Defend, they rarely try to push forwards with the ball in the final third. They form these great diamonds moving down the pitch, but in the final third I'd like them to stop being a passing option and look to beat the fullback on the outside, to deliver a cross. They will do this when set to Support or Attack, but not on Defend. But if I could Support/Attack, I lose them as a passing option to help move the ball down the field using my diamond shapes.

My question is, is there any way I can provide instructions or traits to my WBs, perhaps even changing them to FBs, so that when I'm in possession in my half of the pitch they will come deep for the ball and offer a passing option for my WCB but, when the ball progresses to the final third, they'll look to attack the opposing Fullback?

This formation has been great for controlling possession and moving the ball down the field, I just hate that I'm losing a lot of width and crossing potential in the final third. I want both and I feel like I should be able to get that.  

For anybody interested, I'm now trying a FB with Support mentality, with Hold Position not set and Get Further Forward also not set, and it seems to be working. I've no doubt Anticipation, Off the Ball and Teamwork stats are going to effect when they decide to come short and when they decide to push up, will see how it goes.