3-4-1-2 Mainz 05 - Need some tactical help

Hello everyone

I'm in my 5th Bundesliga season and currently leading the table after 6 games. My tactic is performing pretty well throughout the time (overperforming, also won a Europa League and a Conference League), but I'm not entirely happy with 3-4 positions:

1. My wingbacks are hit and miss, more often miss. Their ratings are pretty bad after almost every game.

2. My AMC is not really performing either.

3. The central defender also seems a problem in some games when I look at the ratings, but it's not the biggest problem of them all and last season I conceded only 28 goals in 34 Bundesliga games so my defence is not that bad I think.

My tactic:

Mainztactic.png.39a6dac7d220e580f9da95a81f58c443.png

The Player instructions I use are:

Both wingbacks: Shoot less often, Stay Wider, Tackle harder

BWM: Hold position

CM(a): Take More Risk, Move into Channels (this position is performing great in this tactic and exactly doing exactly what I want from him)

AM(s): Take More Risk, Get Further Forward, Move into Channels

AF(a): Dribble More

Sometimes when I need a goal I switch to attacking, turn on counterpress and counter, and switch the defensive line/LOE to higher.

It would be nice if you people can share your thoughts about these positions/tactic, I feel like if these positions get fixed a little/can perform as well, I can grow into a top side.

A few quick changes I would make are;

- Positive Mentality 

- Fairly Narrow 

- AP(A) in the 10 position

- CM (D) instead of a BWM

- B2B instead of a CM(A)

- WB (A) on the right 

- WCB (S) on both sides 

- Standard defensive width 

- Distribute to CB’s and FB’s

- Shorter Passing 

- Standard Defensive line & Higher line of engagement

The wingbacks I’ve found will be more involved in attacks with the fairly narrow approach, the wide centre backs will support them. The Pressing forward will pin the opposition defence back and give room for the AP to thrive. I have won the Serie A with Fiorentina using a very similar system. 

2 hours ago, JoOSTAR said:

Hello everyone

I'm in my 5th Bundesliga season and currently leading the table after 6 games. My tactic is performing pretty well throughout the time (overperforming, also won a Europa League and a Conference League), but I'm not entirely happy with 3-4 positions:

Doesn't sound like you need much help to ne honest :thup: So long as you're winning silver ware, I wouldn't worry about a few positions, I might just be you need batter quality players is the tactic's working

CM(A) in a 2 man midfield is ballsy as hell but fair play :D