Question about youngsters

The more players you have in your senior squad, the higher work load you put on your coaching staff, so take that into consideration. But if you have a couple of really exciting talents they might benefit from mentoring groups if you move them into the senior squad and set them available for U19.

My first team training tends to be more match prep heavy (set pieces as well as def/att movement and match practice), so I only put an U18 prospect into my first team squad if they need mentoring.  If you are in Europe or indeed playing in a league with a lot of midweek fixtures, that will also reduce potential sessions for an U18 player - thus I keep them in that squad as much as I can.

21 minutes ago, Tryllefot said:

The more players you have in your senior squad, the higher work load you put on your coaching staff, so take that into consideration. But if you have a couple of really exciting talents they might benefit from mentoring groups if you move them into the senior squad and set them available for U19.

19 minutes ago, duesouth said:

My first team training tends to be more match prep heavy (set pieces as well as def/att movement and match practice), so I only put an U18 prospect into my first team squad if they need mentoring.  If you are in Europe or indeed playing in a league with a lot of midweek fixtures, that will also reduce potential sessions for an U18 player - thus I keep them in that squad as much as I can.

TY both for some food for thought.
Seems like developing youngsters is not as straightforward as do Y at age X to get Z anymore.
Can you describe this need for mentoring that you mentioned? When do you choose mentoring over training?

I use mentoring mainly for developing personality and mental atributes. If a youngster has good atributes, but a less positive personality, or low determination, mentoring from a leader with high determination and a good personality seem to speed up development on youngsters and improve personality and determination.

1 hour ago, EddyDeWallyvis said:

TY both for some food for thought.
Seems like developing youngsters is not as straightforward as do Y at age X to get Z anymore.
Can you describe this need for mentoring that you mentioned? When do you choose mentoring over training?

If the personality of a player is unambitious, low determination or temperamental I will mentor.  Without that, they tend to struggle to realise their potential.

17 minutes ago, Tryllefot said:

I use mentoring mainly for developing personality and mental atributes.

The only mental attribute that's affected through mentoring is Determination, as that's part of a personality.

1 hour ago, duesouth said:

If the personality of a player is unambitious, low determination or temperamental I will mentor.  Without that, they tend to struggle to realise their potential.

In summary:
-If a youngster with high potential possesses one of the above personalities, it's best to get them mentored ASAP(age 16). Maybe more attention to individual training?  
-If not, stick with youth training untill age 19. Age 19 to senior squad, throw in a loan to other club if needed. 

16 hours ago, EddyDeWallyvis said:

In summary:
-If a youngster with high potential possesses one of the above personalities, it's best to get them mentored ASAP(age 16). Maybe more attention to individual training?  
-If not, stick with youth training untill age 19. Age 19 to senior squad, throw in a loan to other club if needed. 

Yes, getting them mentored ASAP gives you more chance of success with it - if you leave it later, it takes longer.  It does help to have a couple of professional personality players in your first team squad, even if they aren't regular starters, they still perform a valuable role.

I always go through my youth intake as soon as they've signed their youth contracts and look at individual training - also it's the best time to try to get them new traits if you that's something you do.

Training is the most important thing for youngsters until they are 18.  At that point, the most important thing for them is game time at an appropriate level.  So, if they aren't ready for your first team, then you might consider loaning them out.  But make sure you don't send them to a team that views them as a fringe or a squad player, as they won't play enough.  I have to say, I've had mixed success with loans.  The best thing is if you happen to be lucky enough to manage a club with a B team - a lot of Spanish clubs have these and also Juve (Zebre in game).  Far more control that way.

Affiliates can also help - quite a few big teams throughout FM have affiliates abroad - but then important to know the level of the league and put the right player at the right affiliate.  For example, if I was managing in Italy and I was told my 18 year-old striker was at Serie C level, I would check the competition reputation.  If I had a bunch of affiliate teams abroad, I would pick one where the competition is close to Serie C level.  The trouble is with affiliates, there's no guarantee your player will start - but you can get a team report and compare their existing players with your youngster and if he's better you should be OK.