A dummies guide - Do tactic setups have to be so in-depth?

Apologies for causing a stir here. But i've read so many threads on here about tactical setups and most of them, whether they are good or not -are just so in depth, loads of thought and testing goes into it. Basically, I don't have the time to spend ages on 'perfecting' a formation, so is it possible to be successful and just take one of the default formations and do a basic tweak?

I think so yes, if your players are at least of a sufficiently better or equal standard to other players in your division. For optimum efficiency its best to have a few different tactics which can cover various situations which will be presented to you during the course of a game or a season.

You can use the standard tactics. They've been better than anything I've devised. I took the 4-3-3, removed the individual mentality settings and set my own set piece instructions and it seems to work ok. I do change the tactic slightly in game when I need to contain a lead or i get a player sent off.

Apologies for causing a stir here. But i've read so many threads on here about tactical setups and most of them, whether they are good or not -are just so in depth, loads of thought and testing goes into it. Basically, I don't have the time to spend ages on 'perfecting' a formation, so is it possible to be successful and just take one of the default formations and do a basic tweak?

Choose a formation that best suits the players you have at your disposal and then just use common sense with regards to setting up player instructions. For example, if a player is good at crossing and dribbling, have him run with the ball and cross often.

I’m not sure what instructions are in the default formations as I’ve never used them but I have read on these forums that they aren’t the best.

The guides are good and help give a better understanding of the game. I’d recommend using a set up as detailed in Taactical Theorems and Frameworks 09'. You don't have to read through it all but just download a spreadsheet that gives you the settings. Again, use your own initiative as far as player settings and don't blindly follow everything.

You'll still have to be ready to change things when watching the game though.

mickyt11

If you get chance have a read of thread on how AI play in FM07 by Abramovich. As long as there has been no change then the AI play global bar closing down and higher mentality for Forward and free roles for some players if attacking.

IMO Global tactics ofter work better than individual instruction tactics and this is probably more the case in FM09 than FM08.

All my FM09 tactics, so far, have been deveoped from a global setting tactic, then adjusting closing down then mentality, similar to how the AI play. The Global setting tactic is available for download.

Archived