Advice on my 4-2-3-1 DM

Hello to you all.

This is my first time creating a thread on this forum. I am seeking advice on my 4-2-3-1 DM AM Wide as the game likes to call it. I am playing with Le Havre in Ligue 2. I have played 12 games in the league, my record is 6-5-1 and I have scored 12 goals and conceded 5. You probably know what my problem is basked on that information. Is my selection of roles and duties completely wrong, or am I just being unlucky/lacking skills within my offensive players?

I like to play with the DMs as I like having the HB dropping down between my CBs in possession. It's also easier making the DMs behave like CMs than it is the other way around. I like the defensive solidity it gives me and so far it seems to work. I keep the ball very well and do not let my oppositions have many shots, but offensively I have a tough time finishing my chances. Also my 'Focus Play Down The Right" is to create an overload on that side to exploit the left side with my IFa and overlapping WBs.

I've been thinking about tinkering with the roles of the ST, the AM and the CDM to the right. Would it work with a DLFs in front of a SSa in this setup to create better space for the IFa on the left? And could I then also make the RPMs into an VOL on either support or attack?

Thanks in advance and if there's anything else you need to know or see, ask for it, and you will receive.

image.png.011bbdd84a3fecf30fc4cb64372ce848.png

Edited by Lasson

1 hour ago, Lasson said:

I am playing with Le Havre in Ligue 2. I have played 12 games in the league, my record is 6-5-1 and I have scored 12 goals and conceded 5

That's not bad IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Lasson said:

You probably know what my problem is basked on that information

I guess you would like to score more goals or/and have less draws in favor of wins? 

1 hour ago, Lasson said:

Is my selection of roles and duties completely wrong, or am I just being unlucky/lacking skills within my offensive players?

Your setup of roles and duties looks pretty fine in and of itself. The only potential issue could be the partnership of the AML and striker roles (IFat & PFat). Because the similarity in role types can lead to space competition up front. Suggestion: either switch the striker's role (not duty) to something like CF or DLF or switch the AML to IW instead of IF. 

Of course, I cannot comment on your player selection, simply because I don't know your players and whether this setup and tactical style suits them or not.

To summarize, I think some instructions - rather than roles/duties (except for the two I mentioned above) - need tweaking. For example:

- try to be a bit less aggressive when defending (because defensive and attacking phases of play affect each other very much)

- do not insist on working the ball into box (can overcomplicate play in the final third + potentially risky defense-wise too)

- leave the attacking width to default (instead of narrow) so that your players would have more attacking options in terms of space utilization (especially against very defensive opposition)

12 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

To summarize, I think some instructions - rather than roles/duties (except for the two I mentioned above) - need tweaking. For example:

- try to be a bit less aggressive when defending (because defensive and attacking phases of play affect each other very much)

- do not insist on working the ball into box (can overcomplicate play in the final third + potentially risky defense-wise too)

- leave the attacking width to default (instead of narrow) so that your players would have more attacking options in terms of space utilization (especially against very defensive opposition)

Thanks for you analysis and advice.

I have removed "Work Ball Into Box", switched to "Standard" width and put my pressing intensity to "Standard" and made a split block with my four offensive players closing down more. 

On top of the team instructions, my striker is now a DLFa and my CDM pairing is now a DLPd and VOLa. My idea is that the IFa and VOLa will attack the space behind my DLF. Hopefully it'll work out like that.

image.png.9a3b33f9649ccd5ebbb5046fe971114f.png

I didn't understand why you are using Overlap on the left when there is no Overlap but yes Overloading

Your IF will seek to advance and take more risks all the time. If you want an Overlap I would recommend WB (A) and IF (S)

19 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

I didn't understand why you are using Overlap on the left when there is no Overlap but yes Overloading

Your IF will seek to advance and take more risks all the time. If you want an Overlap I would recommend WB (A) and IF (S)

I use ‘Overlap Left’, because it increases my LBs individual mentality from ‘Balanced’ to ‘Positive’, which from my knowledge will make my pairing on the left play closer together.