Too easy to sign good quality players on free transfers

I have started a career in the Vanarama South League. Having gained promotion in my first season aided by the ease of signing decent players on free transfers, I attacked my second season in the Vanarama National League with the same approach.

My transfer budget was modest at best but it didn't matter. I was able to sign 15 players on a free transfer with many of those rated 4 stars and above.

I'm 14 games into the season and I'm one point behind 1st place. My objective was to avoid relegation.

I don't think it should be so easy to sign players on free transfers. It certainly makes the game less challenging that you don't need a transfer budget to bring in new players. They have all gelled really quickly too. Out of the 15 new players, 10 are now in my first team and the relationships between them all are almost complete and are either yellow or green.

• SI Staff
54 minutes ago, Lillywhite Dean said:

I have started a career in the Vanarama South League. Having gained promotion in my first season aided by the ease of signing decent players on free transfers, I attacked my second season in the Vanarama National League with the same approach.

My transfer budget was modest at best but it didn't matter. I was able to sign 15 players on a free transfer with many of those rated 4 stars and above.

I'm 14 games into the season and I'm one point behind 1st place. My objective was to avoid relegation.

I don't think it should be so easy to sign players on free transfers. It certainly makes the game less challenging that you don't need a transfer budget to bring in new players. They have all gelled really quickly too. Out of the 15 new players, 10 are now in my first team and the relationships between them all are almost complete and are either yellow or green.

Can you chuck me your save game and I'll look into the types of players you're getting - do you think they're 'unrealistic' or should there be more competition to sign them?

On 29/01/2021 at 20:47, XJ6 said:

I had a bug where the likes of Ilaix Moriba were being released in October and I could snap them up free, don't know whether it was fixed though as I'm still playing my save.

Yeah that was a pre-game bug, they fixed it. But it was a nice surprise haha, just got 110 million for him. 

On 27/01/2021 at 16:04, Marc Vaughan said:

Can you chuck me your save game and I'll look into the types of players you're getting - do you think they're 'unrealistic' or should there be more competition to sign them?

Hampton Richmond Free transfers.zip

Hi Marc, save attached. I just find that there is a wealth of really good talent available for a semi-professional team. There should be more competition to sign them and they're probably too good to be playing at that level.

I also find that their integration into the first XI is a bit too smooth. The relationships formed really quickly.

Also, I had a couple of strikers out injured so I just went back to the search player function, selected contract expired and basically had a quick flick through all the available players (and there were a lot) who could "come in and do a job". I ended up finding a striker who might actually be my #1 striker now.

Just seems to easy. I never need to use my scout either.

Edited by Lillywhite Dean

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Lillywhite Dean said:

Hampton Richmond Free transfers.zip 8.95 MB · 0 downloads

Just seems to easy. I never need to use my scout either.

Am I right in thinking you never turn on 'Fog of War / Attribute Masking' ?

(as that would make using a scout more vital)

31 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

Unfortunately not at present - I could probably look at making that an option if people think they'd use it?

I would love that, started some save a a sim-into-the-future save, but Met. Police just got promoted and I had a really good save with them last year, so I couldn't not take the job. But I do think it would be more challenging with attribute masking

On 04/02/2021 at 17:20, Marc Vaughan said:

Am I right in thinking you never turn on 'Fog of War / Attribute Masking' ?

(as that would make using a scout more vital)

I have attribute masking switched on (ticked).

This is how I usually go about landing players on free transfers.

Player search > Customise > Contract Status Expired > Positions (select needed position) > Attributes (add three or four attributes with a score of 10-12 for each attribute) > Search

I then check out the list of players and take a look at what's available. I've been able to find players who are rated 3.5 to 5 stars on current ability. One of my 5 star players signed on a free contract, Admiral Muskwe, was a reserve player at Leicester City. 

Some players have all their attributes on display and some don't. Those players who don't have their attributes on display will show some (including, obviously, the attributes from my search parameters). Using this method means I no longer need to use my scout and my results tend to be better.

EDIT

The other thing about the ease of signing good players on free transfers is that any time I have a player injured, I can just scour the free transfer market and bring in reinforcements without any downside.

Edited by Lillywhite Dean