Seedings and Stages for International Competition

DodgeeD

I've been creating some regional international competitions that are missing from the game but have hit a wall with tournaments that have nations entering at different stages.

Straightforward competitions like the Gulf Cup (2x4 team group stage, semis, final) or single group league (e.g. Baltic Cup) are no problem but something like the COSAFA Cup is causing frustration.

This cup features 14 nations from Southern Africa. 6 teams (the top five ranked sides plus the host nation) get a bye to the quarter-finals and the other eight play a preliminary group stage, 2 groups of 4 with the group winners going to the quarter-finals.

(See here for a breakdown of how the 2019 tournament worked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_COSAFA_Cup)

However, when I test the competition, nations eliminated in the group stage always come back for the quarter-finals. I've looked at seeding options in advanced rules but nothing has worked so far.

Ideally, I would like to set it up so that each time the tournament is held, the teams with a bye change depending on their world rankings.

Any ideas which settings I need?

@DodgeeD

Unfortunately, I don't know which function you use to get the teams into the competition, but if you title the host and the six best-placed teams under "Qualified Teams" (I would use "Get Best National Teams" - "Region: South Africa" and World Rankings under "Sort Teams") with seeding 0, you can use "Get Qualified Teams For Comp" with seeding 0 in the quarter-finals, which works perfectly.

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

I used "get specific teams" to add the 14 nations who always enter. I tried "get teams from region Southern Africa" but it kept telling me "not enough teams entered"

I will try assigning different seedings to the teams who should get a bye and see what happens. :)

vor 13 Stunden schrieb DodgeeD:

For this particular tournament, South Africa is the permanent host so I set it up with "rotate from nations list" with only them added.

Hmm, that's given me an idea to check something!

I recently built this competition for a friend in the FM20 editor, if you want I can upload it for you to see how I did it.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb DodgeeD:

Yes please! I do have it working now, though the seedings are fixed to be the same each year.

Would love to compare it to yours to see what you've done differently. :)

The file is for FM20, but you can open it in FM21 without any problems.

PS:GameCrasher is my friend's name, not a file that crashes the game. :D 

COSAFA_Cup_GameCrasher.fmf

Edited by davie77

• 6 months later...