A One Season Wonder Manager

FMunderachiever

Hi Everyone

Does anyone else play the game (broadly) like this?

I dont necessarily mean LITERALLY one season at a club, but maybe 1-3 seasons and move on?

I do have long term saves, but my saves can often take this "one season wonder" form.

Reason i think has many factors:

1) in real life, often managers arent the manager of that club for very long. Huge 20 season careers at one club definitely arent the norm (obviously you can do a career moving around though)

2) I personally dont like when the game moves too far away from real life. When i see a manager has sold 3/4 of the real life team after 18 months and signed 15 players, most of which are totally unheard of, it kind of loses its realism for me (many are different)

3) The game has a huge amount of choice of who to manage. From all over the world. Its so easy to see a team on tv in a certain game and think wow, id love to recreate those tactics, or bring them back to a past era etc etc. the appeal of managing a new team then grows

4) Manage a new team, it means getting to know new players and designing new tactics which is fun, instead of tinkering with existing onces that are working quite well

5) the game doesnt need to reward a long career. its just a game ultimately. i wont go down in that clubs folklore or get paid by them, so unless i really feel a part of that club, there is little incentive to stay

Anyone else feel this way?

I do have long term saves, but its usually 1 long term per version of fm, and quite a lot of "one season wonders"

On FM18 I started a save in which I decided to never renew a contract, it lead to manage Olympiacos, Roma, Wolfsburg, Sporting Lisbon, Juventus and finally Real Madrid. I never spent more than 4 years at any of those clubs.

I've done the same thing ever since and I really enjoy it.