Tempo. How to use it right?

It is possible to make low tempo tactics with a mid block or it’s only appliable to high pressure systems? 
Can an underdog play low tempo systems?

How would you apply a low tempo system or the tempo is a variant of the opposition? I mean if the opposition press me urgent and high at the pitch low tempo is usseles?

Edited by Vinay17

39 minutes ago, Vinay17 said:

It is possible to make low tempo tactics with a mid block or it’s only appliable to high pressure systems? 
Can an underdog play low tempo systems?

How would you apply a low tempo system or the tempo is a variant of the opposition? I mean if the opposition press me urgent and high at the pitch low tempo is usseles?

You can set-up a medium block with a low tempo but why would you want to let the opposition defence settle? I always prefer to think about how I should utilize the space I create or the opposition is willing to give me. 

I remember @Rashidis 4-1-4-1 mid-block low tempo system aims to keep the ball in their left side of the defensive third then when it finds an opening in the opposition, it tries to penetrate with a poacher, inverted winger and a mezzalla. So it's possible but as always your players should fit into this kind of a tactic.

I perceive low tempo as the former team instruction "Retain Possession" because players tend to keep the ball longer than you expect so it makes it difficult for me to find a hole in the opposition defence. Hence I use it when I just want to kill the match. On the other hand, I love using high-tempo systems when I want to set up a high-block system or a direct attacking system with a low or a medium block.  The football it plays is fantastic to watch. I love reaching the final third with two or three passes when the opposition sends me everything but the kitchen sink:)

You could use a low tempo system against a high pressing system, but then your own players need to be good at keeping the ball under pressure. In most cases I would recommend that people use the tempo to suit the mentality of the system if they werent sure. Don't forget passing directness is something you can leverage off if you have a few players who are on attack and playing to attack the opposition lines behind them.

1 hour ago, neptune'sblue said:

Please correct me if it's wrong. My players, I play high tempo if the decision is good and low tempo if it is bad. However, depending on how other teams play, I can change the tempo. 

It really depends on how you like your team to play but most of the time you can get away with a balanced tempo. If you see your play is too rushed, drop the tempo. If you feel you can't find an opening, up the tempo. Then watch your play until you are fully satisfied with it.

6 dakika önce, frukox said:

Bu gerçekten takımınızın nasıl oynamasını istediğinize bağlıdır, ancak çoğu zaman dengeli bir tempoyla kurtulabilirsiniz. Oyununuzun çok aceleye geldiğini görürseniz, tempoyu düşürün. Bir açılış bulamayacağınızı düşünüyorsanız, tempoyu yükseltin. Daha sonra tamamen tatmin olana kadar oyununuzu izleyin.

Yes. You are right to determine the tempo in the match. But; What I want to say is different. Let's give an example. I dream of a fast paced game like Bielsa. However, my players' decision-making skills are poor. Can I play ? They have to wait before making a decision. That's why I have to play a low tempo match. I think this way. Do you think this is true?

Edited by neptune'sblue

4 minutes ago, neptune'sblue said:

Yes. You are right to determine the tempo in the match. But; What I want to say is different. Let's give an example. I dream of a fast paced game like Bielsa. However, my players' decision-making skills are poor. Can I play ? They have to wait before making a decision. That's why I have to play a low tempo match. I think this way. Do you think this is true?

But what if your players are against a high-block and your team generally lacks in attributes like composure, balance, agility, first touch as well as decisions and you see you lose the ball when you are just about to transition to attacking phase and gift your opposition clear-cut chances, what are you going to do? 

5 dakika önce, frukox said:

But what if your players are against a high-block and your team generally lacks in attributes like composure, balance, agility, first touch as well as decisions and you see you lose the ball when you are just about to transition to attacking phase and gift your opposition clear-cut chances, what are you going to do? 

At this point I need advice. When I play fast, the player features are insufficient. And I don't have very technical players when I play slow. Will keeping the tempo balanced fix the whole problem? And will the tactic be consistent if I use a different pace against each team? What I want to explain is that instead of playing with a single tactic, could a tactic that I made small touches in the match make more sense?

13 hours ago, frukox said:

On the other hand, I love using high-tempo systems when I want to set up a high-block system or a direct attacking system with a low or a medium block

And how the pass and the tempo affect each other, I mean is ok to play short passes with high tempo? Is not the reason of playing high tempo to transition quickly? 

10 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Don't forget passing directness is something you can leverage off if you have a few players who are on attack and playing to attack the opposition lines behind them.

I dont uderstand this, are you saying that if play direct passes with low tempo I will make more vertical passes but playing slowly? 

For example, I have a 3 man midfield on a 4-3-3DM with a HB, a DLP(s) and a MEZ(a) you are suggesting that I can play the HB and DLP with more direct passes to encourage runs from the MEZ? 

Im new in this tactical approach so I dont understand too well certain things. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Vinay17

Your tempo moves into position but you are using direct passes to move the ball over longer areas of the pitch, tiring the other team out making them run around thereby opening potential space up when they make a mistake.

8 hours ago, Vinay17 said:

And how the pass and the tempo affect each other, I mean is ok to play short passes with high tempo? Is not the reason of playing high tempo to transition quickly? 

I dont uderstand this, are you saying that if play direct passes with low tempo I will make more vertical passes but playing slowly? 

For example, I have a 3 man midfield on a 4-3-3DM with a HB, a DLP(s) and a MEZ(a) you are suggesting that I can play the HB and DLP with more direct passes to encourage runs from the MEZ? 

Im new in this tactical approach so I dont understand too well certain things. Thanks in advance.

1)I think the only connection between them is the shorter you go the lower your tempo is or vice versa. So you can play any system with any tempo.

2)When you have a good all-round team with a high press, you can play a possession game with a high tempo by compressing the space in their half thus possibly forcing them into mistakes. At this point you'd want to exploit the space with haste before they withdraw into a disciplined low block.