Tactical Familiarity for players that can play multiple positions

Apologies for the basic questions, but I am relatively new to FM (one of those sucked in by the free Epic offer)

When you have players accomplished and with traits for a variety of positions in your tactic, is it possible for them to become fluid in multiple positions or must I choose one and then live with a lack of familiarity when playing them in different positions.  If the latter, is the lack of familiarity a sufficient enough penalty that it is better to play a slightly worse player with fluidity than a slightly better player without?  What is the best way to handle a squad in which you have several players that can play multiple attacking midfielder/striker/midfielder roles?

6 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I think there are training sessions that help to increase role familiarity. And if I remember correctly, these should be under the match preparation section. But take this with a pinch of salt, because it's not my "area of expertise". 

I thought the whole thing was that there is no "Role Familiarity" only Positional. That's what people like @Rashidi, Foxinthebox and Zealand have been putting a lot of emphasis on for a while now.

The sessions that include "Individual roles" notice it is NOT under Tactical Familiarity it is under Attributes. This the only time i believe players will train the specific attributes for that role, not increasing Familiarity. You did say its not your area of expertise.

I don't think you can be fluid in multiple positions, especially if they need to keep playing a position to become familiar.

I believe a better player attribute wise is more important, if you are comparing a Fluid vs Accomplished player. You can choose the player better in that role.

If you are comparing a Fluid player and someone competent or worse. You may want to use the Fluid player. 

You can train them in either Position and Role that you want depends on how you want that player to develop. I like to train Ainsley maitland-niles as an Advanced Playmaker(Attack) but currently covers mainly at DL DR. Its up to you.

+ The hidden "Versatility" attribute might have something to do with how familiar a player can become in multiple positions im not sure.

I explained it all in my latest video on Training Misconceptions, I specifically focused on PRD position familiarity, and how you can specifically train a player in a particular role. I don’t want to type out the whole explanation here, if it’s ok, seems like that’s the only thing I have been doing lately:-)