Using the Same Tactic

Does this happen to anyone else...

im in my 3rd season with Stockport County, won the Conference National, won League 2 and now am bobbing around 1-3 place in League 1. Used the same tactic all three way though but now there’s 10 games to go this season and al of a sudden I’m getting absolutely whopped by everyone regardless of league position. 

You are scouted by opponents so it may be that the AI managers and teams have figured out how to beat you.

Chris wilder achieved 2 promotions and a top half premier league finish in 4 seasons using basically the same system. 

Edited by tbsn1fan

Does this mean that the tactic I was using is now obsolete because it’s been “figured out”. Just got turned over by Sunderland 6:0 and Grimsby 2:1.  Does the AI collude all teams scouts to figure you out? Communicating like coral or funghi...

it’s frustrating, should I now change formation to counter it? 

Have the real life premier league teams colluded to figure out CW at Sheffield Utd?

you dont have to change everything sometimes tweaking in a few areas can be the difference, maybe try and create overloads in different areas, maybe try and hold possesion more/less. Change the shape so instead of playing a 4231 drop a cam into dm and see if this gives players a new way to play.

58 minutes ago, tbsn1fan said:

You are scouted by opponents so it may be that the AI managers and teams have figured out how to beat you.

I have never seen this in FM.

One reason for losing streaks: Morale goes down and morale is an important factor. So it is more difficult to win games when your morale is down after defeats.

Edited by Tom 99

2 hours ago, county1883_ said:

im in my 3rd season with Stockport County, won the Conference National, won League 2 and now am bobbing around 1-3 place in League 1. Used the same tactic all three way though but now there’s 10 games to go this season and al of a sudden I’m getting absolutely whopped by everyone regardless of league position. 

It is pressure. In fact if you are seeing things like this as the end of seasons when you are challenging for something, it is always pressure. Your team is in position to get an automatic promotion when I expect the pre season expectation was something like avoid relegation? Therefore there is a lot of attention on them, and a lot of pressure for them to perform and get promotion now. And since their expectations are lower, if you are adding to this pressure by saying things like "yeah we will go up" or "we are favourites to go up" in press conferences you will be adding to that. You really want to be taking the pressure off them in press conferences. And in team talks do not "expect a win" or anything like that. And do not be overly critical for loses or draws. You job is to manage them through this time as people as well as a football team. 

The point is it is not that your tactic is suddenly "bad". Or that the AI has learnt it (the AI in FM is nowhere near that advanced, I actually wish it could be so clever). That does not mean you cannot mitigate things tactically. Trying to be a bit more solid and a bit less adventurous to grind out results, for example. 

11 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

It is pressure. In fact if you are seeing things like this as the end of seasons when you are challenging for something, it is always pressure. Your team is in position to get an automatic promotion when I expect the pre season expectation was something like avoid relegation? Therefore there is a lot of attention on them, and a lot of pressure for them to perform and get promotion now. And since their expectations are lower, if you are adding to this pressure by saying things like "yeah we will go up" or "we are favourites to go up" in press conferences you will be adding to that. You really want to be taking the pressure off them in press conferences. And in team talks do not "expect a win" or anything like that. And do not be overly critical for loses or draws. You job is to manage them through this time as people as well as a football team. 

The point is it is not that your tactic is suddenly "bad". Or that the AI has learnt it (the AI in FM is nowhere near that advanced, I actually wish it could be so clever). That does not mean you cannot mitigate things tactically. Trying to be a bit more solid and a bit less adventurous to grind out results, for example. 

Thanks for the tipC never realised that was the case.

well I changed my formation and bollocksed up the season losing in the play offs. Bit harsh, I was predicted 23rd but was top before the players heads went!

i will revert to my original formation and look at man management more. 

18 hours ago, county1883_ said:

Does this happen to anyone else...

Its quite a big rise that you have been promoted twice in a row and are now sitting in the top 3 in league 1 :eek:

I would say the biggest reason is (assuming you have played since beta) is the game updates.

I've had to change my tactic 3 times, because after every update, it turned terrible.

If you look on the tactic forum's, they will specifically mention what version of FM it works well with ( such as beta, 1.0 or 1.1 etc)

6 hours ago, county1883_ said:

Thanks for the tipC never realised that was the case.

well I changed my formation and bollocksed up the season losing in the play offs. Bit harsh, I was predicted 23rd but was top before the players heads went!

i will revert to my original formation and look at man management more. 

The AI never learns your tactic in FM. It will change how it approaches you depending on how well you are doing though. So if you start the season as relegation favourites they will attack you, and they will more likely to play solidly against you when you are chasing promotion later in the season. 

The key thing to remember is to take the pressure off any time you can with press conferences. Your players may still get nervous, but I have found it to be less extreme. I used to always struggle at these things too. Then again just missing promotion when tipped to finish 23rd is a fantastic result. So you are clearly doing a lot right tactically.