UK Work permits again - but a few issues I haven't seen e.g. loans to affiliates

HI SI Games,

I've seen other posts about UK work permits, and realise that they may be reflecting what happens after Brexit - however, some of what is happening still doesn't make sense.

Playing an Arsenal save, during pre-season bought Matias Arezo (young Uruguayan player). Due to age, transfer was arranged for January 2021, when he would turn 18. Wages are quite high - 37000 GBP/week - so would have thought this would help with getting a work permit.

He did not get work permit. While this is not surprising, there are still, I believe, some bugs:

1) I cannot loan him to my affiliate club (Luton in the Championship) as he cannot get a work permit (loan is eventually cancelled when work permit decision day comes).

When I bought Arezo in FM 2020 he also did not have a work permit at the start, and I was then able to loan him to my affiliate in the UK - my understanding is that the lack of work permit means he cannot play in top division games.

2) He cannot play in my under-23's or under-18's squad. This was not the case in FM 2020.

3) Loaning him out is impossible, even overseas - even if I offer him at 0% wage contribution and no loan fee. This makes no sense - he was wanted by a number of clubs when I bought him, why would nobody put in an offer to get him for free?

I also just confirmed to buy Sebastian Esposito in Summer 2021, and am really worried that the same issue will come up.

It also makes absolutely no sense that the only criterion the UK would need for getting non-UK players is international caps from appropriate countries - and this is not even a Brexit thing - if that applied, then how did Chelsea get Oscar and a whole load of other South American/African players with no caps.

Thanks,

Karan

• kkbk changed the title to UK Work permits again - but a few issues I haven't seen e.g. loans to affiliates
  • SI Staff

Thanks for the feedback and save game. 

1) I believe this is correct behaviour. The WP enables the player to play in England. I don't believe the player should be able to play in a lower division without a WP. If this was allowed in FM20 then that would have been a bug. 

2) Again I don't think a player without a WP should be able to play in U23 and U18 matches. Will check in with the dev team to make sure that is the case. Again if this was allowed in FM20 then i'm fairly sure it shouldn't have been. 

3) Yes this does sound like it isn't working correctly. We are looking into this. 

International caps aren't the only criteria with the new WP system. The Division the player plays in, the players clubs league performance, amount of minutes played, players clubs performance in continental competitions and international caps all contribute to the player getting a WP. 

Speaking of Esposito similar to the OP, I thought signings could be made in the first transfer window (the last 2020 transfer window) and Brexit wouldn't take effect, but that could be my fault for poor reading comprehension, as Espo is on loan right now and cannot join till 2021.

This does seem wonky though that in August 2020 have to wait until Jan 2021 to find out about his work permit? That effectively means I am putting his transfer fee in escrow in hopes he gets a permit. The math on the requirements should be known so clubs can make informed decisions. If say 12 matches of 60 mins or more between Sept and Jan would be enough, then we could make the call that yes he'll meet that criteria and go ahead with the signing, otherwise it's a crapshoot.

image.png.b94a967b4f5a29a73741f247b9ca900b.png

6 hours ago, kkbk said:

Just to follow up - Esposito did end up arriving at my club, no work permit. Now have both him and Arezo with no work permit and no clubs willing to loan them.

Do you mean that you successfully signed him and he's in the club; however, he didn't get a work permit so you cannot play him in Premier league matches? Thanks!

On 29/11/2020 at 13:39, Ben Kenney said:

Thanks for the feedback and save game. 

1) I believe this is correct behaviour. The WP enables the player to play in England. I don't believe the player should be able to play in a lower division without a WP. If this was allowed in FM20 then that would have been a bug. 

2) Again I don't think a player without a WP should be able to play in U23 and U18 matches. Will check in with the dev team to make sure that is the case. Again if this was allowed in FM20 then i'm fairly sure it shouldn't have been. 

3) Yes this does sound like it isn't working correctly. We are looking into this. 

International caps aren't the only criteria with the new WP system. The Division the player plays in, the players clubs league performance, amount of minutes played, players clubs performance in continental competitions and international caps all contribute to the player getting a WP. 

Can I just add, point 3 on this a million times over. If I could loan out some of these players who are definitely good enough to play at a good level, then may end up getting caps for their country and therefore eligible for work permits. Currently, cannot loan any of them out as nobody bids at all no matter what I do. Very frustrating. I don't mind the work permits being an issue, I do mind being unable to loan any of them out to gain match experience! 

2 hours ago, perky_01 said:

Can I just add, point 3 on this a million times over. If I could loan out some of these players who are definitely good enough to play at a good level, then may end up getting caps for their country and therefore eligible for work permits. Currently, cannot loan any of them out as nobody bids at all no matter what I do. Very frustrating. I don't mind the work permits being an issue, I do mind being unable to loan any of them out to gain match experience! 

Exactly. If I got a player in my team without wp and I can't loan him out, how would he get a wp anyway? I'm talking about my 21y Portuguese wonderkid and not even Portuguese club would loan him for free. 

• SI Staff
10 hours ago, perky_01 said:

7 hours ago, Butters5566 said:

Exactly. If I got a player in my team without wp and I can't loan him out, how would he get a wp anyway? I'm talking about my 21y Portuguese wonderkid and not even Portuguese club would loan him for free. 

If you have save games where you can't find clubs willing to take these players on loan then could you please upload a save game and we will take a look at what could be causing this in your examples. 

2 hours ago, Ben Kenney said:

If you have save games where you can't find clubs willing to take these players on loan then could you please upload a save game and we will take a look at what could be causing this in your examples. 

I'm still using my original beta save. Does this matter? I'm 3 full seasons in. 

3 hours ago, Ben Kenney said:

Daniel Perkins - Swansea.fm

As I said it is my beta save. All the players are in my under 23s for now. Occurs with Osorio, Lobato, Montoia, Rego, Daniel Santos, Frobenius, Cobo plus others. As you'll see, some of them get loaned straight away, but it seems to be a the set 8 or 9 players that just don't get offers. 

On 03/12/2020 at 19:33, Ben Kenney said:

Thanks very much for the save game. 

This looks like the same issue that we are aware of and are currently investigating. 

I will pass on your save game to be looked into. 

Cheers,

Ben 

Thanks Ben. Keep us posted! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/12/2020 at 19:33, Ben Kenney said:

Thanks very much for the save game. 

This looks like the same issue that we are aware of and are currently investigating. 

I will pass on your save game to be looked into. 

Cheers,

Ben 

Ben. Hi. Any news on this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 01/12/2020 at 23:49, CaptCanuck said:

Do you mean that you successfully signed him and he's in the club; however, he didn't get a work permit so you cannot play him in Premier league matches? Thanks!

Sorry Canuck - a bit late, but yes. Neither could play. Eventually, without playing any games, he got a work permit after 3 months or so. Arezo too. No idea how that happened!

• 4 weeks later...

A little workaround I found in FM18 was to loan players needing WPs by targeting specific clubs.

I had a guy from Colombia needing a WP, obviously want to send him to Spain for the 2 year for S.Americans citizenship, but no Spanish club was bidding. So I decided to try to target all the clubs in the Spanish Second Division and Alcoron came in offering Key Player status and at the end of the season when the loan concluded I specifically targeted Alcoron

May still work in later FMs

Edited by Domus Clamantium