My Player Development Thread

ShaunG95

Essentially, the premise of this thread will be that I showcase any drastic player development that I oversee over the course of my saves - I already have a bank of players that I will post but I am currently managing Wolves and focusing on developing younger players throughout the save. I think some of them are very interesting in comparison to how the AI might train and develop these players if a human player is not catering the focus on individual player training. In the posts that follow, I will be posting GIFs that showcase the changes in attributes.

Any comments on what I post is more than welcome!

EDIT: Adding players as I go.

Karim Adeyemi

wWEjZpL.gif

Edited by ShaunG95

• 2 weeks later...

Wolves are unreal, Neto is a diamond but very inconsistent hoping he come good, he asked for a contract to match Gibbs white (who's currently class as a wk and smashing it every game) I've told him to book his ideas up and prove images wroth it but 6.5-6.8 isn't good enough for me 

On 10/06/2020 at 23:32, Jorge666 said:

Wolves are unreal, Neto is a diamond but very inconsistent hoping he come good, he asked for a contract to match Gibbs white (who's currently class as a wk and smashing it every game) I've told him to book his ideas up and prove images wroth it but 6.5-6.8 isn't good enough for me 

Only trouble with the pair of them is that they both have varying potentials, on that particular Wolves save, Neto and Vinagre were exceptional whereas Gibbs-White was sold because he was already close to his potential at the beginning of the game.

The issue I'm having is raising a youngsters determination. I add them to a mentoring group full of players with high determination, but the youngsters determination is still lucky to go up one or two stats. I had a very promising right back coming through who only had a start of 8 for determination. His determination has risen to 9 over the 3 seasons he's been with me, I've loaned him out but now he's got injured and now at 18, he hasn't improved anywhere near as much as I wanted him to because of his low determination and poor attitude to training. If I criticise his training, he says I unfairly single him out and then his morale drops. There doesn't appear anything you can do. Unless your youngsters have good determination, you have no hope of developing them into good players. 

Edited by Blue 4 Life

7 hours ago, ShaunG95 said:

Only trouble with the pair of them is that they both have varying potentials, on that particular Wolves save, Neto and Vinagre were exceptional whereas Gibbs-White was sold because he was already close to his potential at the beginning of the game.

Yeah I did a second save with wolves and neto wasn't nearly as good attributes wise, tbh I could never get good performance out of him anyway, tried him AML role as winger attack, 6.3-6.7 every game the odd fantastic one and also tried him AMR roles as both IF and IW and still the same, traore on the other hand best AMR I've ever managed, just his attributes look dog sheet, not that it matters by his performances like but still

5 hours ago, Blue 4 Life said:

The issue I'm having is raising a youngsters determination. I add them to a mentoring group full of players with high determination, but the youngsters determination is still lucky to go up one or two stats. I had a very promising right back coming through who only had a start of 8 for determination. His determination has risen to 9 over the 3 seasons he's been with me, I've loaned him out but now he's got injured and now at 18, he hasn't improved anywhere near as much as I wanted him to because of his low determination and poor attitude to training. If I criticise his training, he says I unfairly single him out and then his morale drops. There doesn't appear anything you can do. Unless your youngsters have good determination, you have no hope of developing them into good players. 

The biggest factor is overall squad determination, if you have a bunch of good determination seniors it helps massively, also on the team information screen you can see squad personality I think and that is the main factor, I don't even bother with mentoring anymore does furk all good in my eyes

Just now, Jorge666 said:

The biggest factor is overall squad determination, if you have a bunch of good determination seniors it helps massively, also on the team information screen you can see squad personality I think and that is the main factor, I don't even bother with mentoring anymore does furk all good in my eyes

That's interesting you've said that about the mentoring, it's doing nothing for me either. I moved this youngster into the first team squad earlier than I should have, but I have a very determined first team squad and I was hoping making this youngster regularly train with the first team would have helped him develop quicker and increased his determination. It hasn't worked and loaning him out hasn't made any difference either. He was developing nicely in the under 18s squad so I'm wondering if I pushed him into the first team squad too early and ruined him? His personality is "fairly ambitious"at the moment, so I'm hoping he has the desire to at least improve a little bit. I just need to know the best way to develop him.

5 hours ago, Blue 4 Life said:

Okay so, some factors to consider here:

Does the mentor play a similar position to the player being mentored? How influential is said mentor in your squad? If they are a team leader, they are much more likely to influence the younger player. Also, I have found that determination is often not impacted greatly in the mentoring process. It is often the hidden attributes that change the most. To FORCE increases in determination however, you have to hope that a player gets a 6.4 or lower in a game and you can discipline them by fining them. That is literally the only sure fire way that you'll see an increase in determination - and even then, it is RNG whether there is an increase in determination or work rate or both in some rare cases.

17 minutes ago, Jorge666 said:

Yeah I did a second save with wolves and neto wasn't nearly as good attributes wise, tbh I could never get good performance out of him anyway, tried him AML role as winger attack, 6.3-6.7 every game the odd fantastic one and also tried him AMR roles as both IF and IW and still the same, traore on the other hand best AMR I've ever managed, just his attributes look dog sheet, not that it matters by his performances like but still

Pace is extremely meta on the game, which you will see in the development of one of the players I plan to document in this thread. Oh, the suspense.

16 minutes ago, Jorge666 said:

This is very poignant, on my most recent save with Everton I have sold any players with poorer personalities to make room for model citizens and such. It makes a world of good even if it hits your squad harmony initially.

8 minutes ago, Blue 4 Life said:

That's interesting you've said that about the mentoring, it's doing nothing for me either. I moved this youngster into the first team squad earlier than I should have, but I have a very determined first team squad and I was hoping making this youngster regularly train with the first team would have helped him develop quicker and increased his determination. It hasn't worked and loaning him out hasn't made any difference either. He was developing nicely in the under 18s squad so I'm wondering if I pushed him into the first team squad too early and ruined him? His personality is "fairly ambitious"at the moment, so I'm hoping he has the desire to at least improve a little bit. I just need to know the best way to develop him.

Did you make the player available for the under 18s or under 23s? Player development seems to stunt quite a lot if you play a younger player prematurely in the first team and they under perform, especially when they are not playing in the u23s or u18s. Said player could also have very low professionalism, high attributes in determination, professionalism and ambition tend to anecdotally accelerate the growth of players.

The likes of Kristoffer Ajer, Pablo Fornals, Ruben Dias, Sandro Tonali, Rodrigo Bentancur, Florentino Luis and Lautaro Martinez are exceptional mentors if you have progressed a few seasons in your save. My current squad has all of these in there and all are either team leaders or highly influential which has a great impact in not only players in their respective mentor groups but also the collective playing staff too. Sometimes a team leader or a player who is highly influential can be a bad egg that passes on poorer personality traits to the rest of the squad. My philosophy when playing the game results in me completely discarding those players, irrespective of their qualities that they offer on the pitch - especially if you care about developing newgens. If you get the personality of your squad right at the start of the game, chances are the conveyor belt of academy talent you produce will be influenced by those senior players.

8 minutes ago, ShaunG95 said:

Okay so, some factors to consider here:

Does the mentor play a similar position to the player being mentored? How influential is said mentor in your squad? If they are a team leader, they are much more likely to influence the younger player. Also, I have found that determination is often not impacted greatly in the mentoring process. It is often the hidden attributes that change the most. To FORCE increases in determination however, you have to hope that a player gets a 6.4 or lower in a game and you can discipline them by fining them. That is literally the only sure fire way that you'll see an increase in determination - and even then, it is RNG whether there is an increase in determination or work rate or both in some rare cases.

Thanks for this, I have quite a few team leaders with high determination and strong personalities. I will try fining the player for bad training performances and see if that makes any difference. 

15 minutes ago, ShaunG95 said:

Did you make the player available for the under 18s or under 23s? Player development seems to stunt quite a lot if you play a younger player prematurely in the first team and they under perform, especially when they are not playing in the u23s or u18s. Said player could also have very low professionalism, high attributes in determination, professionalism and ambition tend to anecdotally accelerate the growth of players.

The likes of Kristoffer Ajer, Pablo Fornals, Ruben Dias, Sandro Tonali, Rodrigo Bentancur, Florentino Luis and Lautaro Martinez are exceptional mentors if you have progressed a few seasons in your save. My current squad has all of these in there and all are either team leaders or highly influential which has a great impact in not only players in their respective mentor groups but also the collective playing staff too. Sometimes a team leader or a player who is highly influential can be a bad egg that passes on poorer personality traits to the rest of the squad. My philosophy when playing the game results in me completely discarding those players, irrespective of their qualities that they offer on the pitch - especially if you care about developing newgens. If you get the personality of your squad right at the start of the game, chances are the conveyor belt of academy talent you produce will be influenced by those senior players.

Yes, the player is always made available for under 18 and under 23 games and I do have Kristoffer Ajer, who is my captain and has a significant influence on the mentoring group. I also have De Ligt in the mentoring group and Kieran Tierney (determination of 19 with a driven personality), so I think I have some top defenders who should be a strong influence.

19 minutes ago, Blue 4 Life said:

Yes, the player is always made available for under 18 and under 23 games and I do have Kristoffer Ajer, who is my captain and has a significant influence on the mentoring group. I also have De Ligt in the mentoring group and Kieran Tierney (determination of 19 with a driven personality), so I think I have some top defenders who should be a strong influence.

Out of those three, I would personally ensure Ajer is the one mentoring over the other two. I look into player's overall personalities (hidden attribute distribution) and Ajer is the best across the board for desirable hidden attributes. I'd personally just put Ajer in with the player as well as one other player you'd like to be tutored. I wouldn't bother having multiple mentors with significant influence in one group as it will be randomly who the mentored player bonds with.

28 minutes ago, Blue 4 Life said:

Thanks for this, I have quite a few team leaders with high determination and strong personalities. I will try fining the player for bad training performances and see if that makes any difference. 

Even if it means losing a few games and that particular player playing badly, it might be worth it in the long run. The player can even be fined for poor performances in the u23s and u18s so keep an eye on how they perform in those games when you get the reports from your staff.

On 16/06/2020 at 23:26, ShaunG95 said:

Even if it means losing a few games and that particular player playing badly, it might be worth it in the long run. The player can even be fined for poor performances in the u23s and u18s so keep an eye on how they perform in those games when you get the reports from your staff.

I'm currently running a save with Lyon, I think I may have found another thing that will help MASSIVELY, I hired a load of coaches looking only at what stars in the coaching rating they'd give me and not at mental attributes, didn't think anything of it, high stars = good attribute boosts in training and while that may be true for technical attributes, I noticed many of my younger players determination started flagging, so I replaced all the ones with determination <15 and lo-and-behold, the dropping of determination seems to have stopped

3 hours ago, Jorge666 said:

I'm currently running a save with Lyon, I think I may have found another thing that will help MASSIVELY, I hired a load of coaches looking only at what stars in the coaching rating they'd give me and not at mental attributes, didn't think anything of it, high stars = good attribute boosts in training and while that may be true for technical attributes, I noticed many of my younger players determination started flagging, so I replaced all the ones with determination <15 and lo-and-behold, the dropping of determination seems to have stopped

Yes I do believe that this is another factor. I tend to employ determined and professional staff and I have noticed this too.

On 20/06/2020 at 15:33, ShaunG95 said:

Yes I do believe that this is another factor. I tend to employ determined and professional staff and I have noticed this too.

sorry to keep spamming you, but ive just noticed a couple doing it again, this is only an assumption at present, but its two players that are very inconsistent (and me being the strict disciplinarian) ive been chastising them to buggery, i wonder if thats something else, im gonna try and (begrudgingly) gee them up a bit and be more supportive, much as it pains me, if theyre getting tens/hundreds of thousands of pounds a week they should be producing the goods... primadonnas, come on site scaffolding for 600£ a week and youll realise how good youve got it you little tarts :herman:

Karim Adeyemi

wWEjZpL.gif

Three time Ballon D'Or winner at 21 and overall absurd goalscorer, one of the best players on the game, given you really aggressively train his finishing.

Edited by ShaunG95
Added player name

1 hour ago, Stackalee said:

Is there a way to pause this? Finding it pretty hard to look at tbh. 

Unfortunately not, I will tinker with the settings when I create the next GIFs though! For your convenience however:

KrdzmOJ.png

kecXR2W.png

11 minutes ago, ShaunG95 said:

Unfortunately not, I will tinker with the settings when I create the next GIFs though! For your convenience however

Thanks man, sorry if that was a bother I probably shouldn't be browsing forums with a headache!

Really solid development there, are you managing Germany too or has he done that well for the AI?

Also funny thing, I've never actually noticed real players gaining weight over time before.

3 minutes ago, Stackalee said:

Thanks man, sorry if that was a bother I probably shouldn't be browsing forums with a headache!

Really solid development there, are you managing Germany too or has he done that well for the AI?

Also funny thing, I've never actually noticed real players gaining weight over time before.

No worries dude, we all experience it from time to time!

I've got another manager as Germany, yeah. He's on penalties and free kicks for Germany so he scores a lot more for them, on top of some friendlies against obscure nations haha.

I've never noticed it as vast as that before myself either! It may well correlate with the strength increase.